• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

OrangeOak

eso76 said:
well..i think even in replays full lod is limited to single player races or at best it's just for your car. But geometry was not fm3 cars' problem anyway, even at their typical ingame lod they're generally better than most racers'.

Yes I completely agree I think the player's car will be the only one with full LOD in replays.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
OrangeOak said:
Yes I completely agree I think the player's car will be the only one with full LOD in replays.

In thinking it'll be on the car you are focusing on, meaning virtually all cars at the highest LOD.

Imagine that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
sneaky77 said:
Facebook update: Forza Garage: American cars can be more than muscle cars, as this newest Forza 4 car will show. Welcome the 2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP to Forza! Also returning: the 1999 Shelby Series 1 and 2006 Chrysler Crossfire SRT6.
Give me the Saturn Sky Red-Line/Opel equivalent or give me death!

shinnn

fm4_m5_hockenheimgusu.gif

eso76

OrangeOak said:

what i mean is i am not even sure your car will be full lod for 12 cars replays, maybe only in replays of single player events.

If that's not the case yeah, i guess they could swap low and high lod according to the car you're focusing on. But would require long-ish load times

Anyway, updated shaders will go a long way even on lower lod models.

skyfinch

eso76 said:
what i mean is i am not even sure your car will be full lod for 12 cars replays, maybe only in replays of single player events.

If that's not the case yeah, i guess they could swap low and high lod according to the car you're focusing on. But would require long-ish load times

Anyway, updated shaders will go a long way even on lower lod models.

I wouldn't mind being able to switch to the cockpit view of the CPU drivers during replays. Couldn't do that in FM3.

Xun said:
In terms of lighting/shaders I'm assuming Forza 4 is quite similar to GT5?

It's quite similar, though I think GT5 still has the edge (I still have to see FM4 on my setup, though).

But it's irrelevant, the good thing is Forza is getting closer to a convincing lighting and color scheme.

It's really an impressive improvement.

Just change the "middle of the night" to "middle of the day" and you'll have it. I think someone just made a mistake, I wouldn't look for a bigger story behind that statement :)

H3rTz DoNuT said:
Just change the "middle of the night" to "middle of the day" and you'll have it. I think someone just made a mistake, I wouldn't look deeper into that :)
driving around the Nordkurve at sunrise is a very different experience from racing in the middle of the night. Choose the latter and visibility is obviously impacted dramatically, the dazzling glare of brake lights preventing you from having a clear view of the track when you're sandwiched in the middle of a pack of cars all vying for pole position. In stark contrast there's almost an air of calm when tackling the same race at dawn as the sun blinks over the horizon.

war4290_shaking%20head.gif

Diablohead said:
To IGN, night time most likely means sunset.
If it was just one line I would have to agree. But this motherfucker wrote a damn thesis statement on night racing. Hence why I want someone to kill it now. Like a bandage you pull it off fast for less pain rather then peeling it off slowly.

jcutner

Forza Garage Round 2: While any of these cars could be considered a “king of the road,” only one was actually named that! Welcome the 1968 Shelby GT-500KR, 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS, and 1971 Plymouth Cuda 426 HEMI to Forza 4!

skyfinch

soundscream said:
If it was just one line I would have to agree. But this motherfucker wrote a damn thesis statement on night racing. Hence why I want someone to kill it now. Like a bandage you pull it off fast for less pain rather then peeling it off slowly.

Was hoping there were some answers in the comment section but it's just two pages of jackasses arguing about FM4 vs GT5.

skyfinch

Shortt Sirket said:
It is IGN...

Yeah. Should have known better than to go there. And if the "night racing" article turns out to be false, I'll never visit that shit, I mean site ever again.

supersaw

Does anyone else not really care for sunset driving, I like the added challenge of night driving or different weather conditions but driving in glare with annoying tint and contrast on everything is not really appealing to me.

As long as the sun isn't actually up its not a problem.

I was never a you can't spell ignorant without ign person but they better not be pulling this driving at midnight stuff out of their ass.

supersaw

eek5 said:
At least the photos will look cool

:s Yeah I'm also not a huge fan of bullshots and a marketing strategy built around them. I like Auto Vista and I like the ideas behind it but I think that Autovista and Photomode can be deceitful since they are not representative of gameplay footage.

To date we got very little in terms of gameplay footage that isn't shot off screen. It's all really quick cuts spliced together with replay footage that is also of higher quality and more post-processed than actual gameplay.

Soi-Fong

Old picture, but just wanted to show this to you guys. This was me in E3 this year with an older build of Forza 4. Triple screen set-up along with moving cockpit.

240970_2070055632209_1269412776_2442460_4565975_o.jpg

Soi-Fong you trying to make us jealous, cause it ain't working!

oh I'm jelly :'(

Any way I was just reading an article on gameinformer.com about forza 4 and they were even surprised at how little there was as far as announcements, seeing as motorsport is so big in Europe. So at least I know I'm not crazy to think they are being to tight lipped.

Soi-Fong

soundscream said:
Soi-Fong you trying to make us jealous, cause it ain't working!

oh I'm jelly :'(

Any way I was just reading an article on gameinformer.com about forza 4 and they were even surprised at how little there was as far as announcements, seeing as motorsport is so big in Europe. So at least I know I'm not crazy to think they are being to tight lipped.

Just a lil since it was a moving cockpit! Gosh! lol

Ravenn17 said:
So what are the chances that all the new Fanatec gear is shown off and priced at Gamescom? I mean, it is German after all...
Price=arm+leg
When it will ship=months after initial announcement
Is it worth it=most definitely

Mascot

Morning, folks. Just catching up on overnight discussions.

Re LOD on replays, my stance has always been: put this at a level that enables 60fps replays. Turn off all the post-production effects shit like motion blur too if that helps. Replays don't need them, the game is good looking enough as it is. 60fps > candyfloss@30fps.

Re IGN's night racing report: that shit still lives? No retraction, no word from anyone in authority? Jesus. It needs putting to bed one way or another.

Coffee is ready, catch you later.

acm2000

Xun said:
That gif, goddamn.

In terms of lighting/shaders I'm assuming Forza 4 is quite similar to GT5?

othergame5 still has slight edge shader/model wise, but turn10 really have closed that gap, oh and forza 4 is 60fps ;)

eso76

acm2000 said:
othergame5 still has slight edge shader/model wise, but turn10 really have closed that gap, oh and forza 4 is 60fps ;)

well forza3/4 full lod models are actually a lot more complex than GT5 ingame models and a lot closer to photo travel models in geometry, some of them being around 450k polys.

Very nice vids as usual Blim !

adelante

Turn10 has really stepped up their model quality but I still think some cars are lacking certain fundamental details right like rounded corners, which often gives it a sharp-edged feel of computer rendered images

Top Bottom