• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

supersaw

Thanks Blim, I also still salivate over that E3 video, I don't understand why no one else shoots in 60fps since you can get sub $1000 DSLR's that support it.

Blim's replay video looks great! The track looks much better than 3 and the car suspension appears much more active.

I can't wait to get my hand on this!

eso76

adelante said:
Turn10 has really stepped up their model quality but I still think some cars are lacking certain fundamental details right like rounded corners, which often gives it a sharp-edged feel of computer rendered images

this M5 model ? it certainly doesn't lack geometry.
if anything you can say it's the lighting in forza that's too harsh.
I don't get why people wanted even more contrast; yes, brighter reflections were needed, shadows on the other hand have always been too dark (often pitch black, actually).
Other game 5 went for a much softer look (in reality, in a bright day, open environment, you shouldn't get dark shadows anywhere, there will always be lots of fill light coming from every part of the sky).
To tell you the truth i am not really buying the IBL stuff completely. in fm4 there's still a strong light source and too little ambient light, which makes shadows on the cars a little too sharp. But i am not complaining, those bits with multiple cars on track from the b-roll video looked amazing, not to mention the full lod M5 replays on the nurburgring and hockenheim.

eso76 said:
if anything you can say it's the lighting in forza that's too harsh.
I don't get why people wanted even more contrast; yes, brighter reflections were needed, shadows on the other hand have always been too dark (often pitch black, actually).
Other game 5 went for a much softer look (in reality, in a bright day, open environment, you shouldn't get dark shadows anywhere, there will always be lots of fill light coming from every part of the sky).

Yeah you are right, I see these things too, once in the shadows the detail is gone, bumping up the gamma on my displays shows there's nothing there, I don't think GT is perfect in that respect though (I got a preset saved for that aswell) but it does a far more convincing job of showing a sun drenched enviroment.

Mascot

Great vids Blim. Does the game run at a solid 60? Seemed to be quite a few areas of minor slowdown. Might be the PC I was watching them on.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Mascot said:
Great vids Blim. Does the game run at a solid 60? Seemed to be quite a few areas of minor slowdown. Might be the PC I was watching them on.
It's perfectly smooth as far as I can tell.

eso76

at E3 we noticed rear view mirrors were updated at 30fps. Doesn't seem to be the case in the Nurburgring gp cockpit video. Then again maybe it's because this is a single player race.

Oh, Blim. Just thought of something, since you're taking requests : )...this might be a little too much to ask, but i think it would be interesting to see someone attempting to drift.

From a couple videos we had the impression smoke effects were improved and smoke itself was considerably more 'persistent' and..abundant (?) than in fm3.
I was spoiled by the ridiculous amount of smoke OtherGame5 can throw onscreen...

saladine1

So B, any announcements regarding new features planned for GC?

Also, the BMW on the ring video shows a lot of suspension movement..nice.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
eso76 said:
at E3 we noticed rear view mirrors were updated at 30fps. Doesn't seem to be the case in the Nurburgring gp cockpit video. Then again maybe it's because this is a single player race.

Oh, Blim. Just thought of something, since you're taking requests : )...this might be a little too much to ask, but i think it would be interesting to see someone attempting to drift.

From a couple videos we had the impression smoke effects were improved and smoke itself was considerably more 'persistent' and..abundant (?) than in fm3.
I was spoiled by the ridiculous amount of smoke OtherGame5 can throw onscreen...
Actually we got your replay video, and the guy who recorded it (Miguel from the team) deactivated all the driving helps and drifted quite a bit around the track. I'll see to that video later on, but your replay is encoding now. TV was pretty bad though, so quality isn't as good as it could be.

saladine1 said:
So B, any announcements regarding new features planned for GC?
bankrupt-monopoly.jpg

supersaw

Watching the triple screen video it's painfuly obvious that the lock animation is gimped at 270° lock to lock :(

Was hoping that the Fanatech partnership would ensure stuff like that was fixed, still hoping for the ability to disable the steering wheel model in cockpit view otherwise it will be bonnet cam in order to avoid OCD meltdowns.

Snubbers

Eiscafe said:
The IGN guy twittered this:
http://twitter.com/#!/AlexIGNUK/status/103696111939756032

Ah and btw i'm new here. ;)

Hi! I'm newish too!

Sounds like some back-tracking going on! His article sounded like he had 'experience' of middle of the night.. now it's just 'T10 said some tracks will be playable at night'..

I'll expect it turns out 'no nighttime'... that's my expectation, it won't be the end of the world as the game only took 2 years, and I'm realistic.. FM5 can go full out night/weather on the XBox 720..

saladine1

Snubbers said:
Hi! I'm newish too!

Sounds like some back-tracking going on! His article sounded like he had 'experience' of middle of the night.. now it's just 'T10 said some tracks will be playable at night'..

I'll expect it turns out 'no nighttime'... that's my expectation, it won't be the end of the world as the game only took 2 years, and I'm realistic.. FM5 can go full out night/weather on the XBox 720..
So, if this is true, then Turn 10 has pulled a Polyphony on us.
I'd like to ask, why is it so complicated to feature night on all tracks?
What's the work load like?

Edit: In all honesty though, If night was subjected to only a couple or even one track, then I wouldn't mind. One is better than none in my eyes. This goes for weather as well..

Wow those gameplay vids are nice. Impressive what Turn10 is getting out of the 360. Damnit I was just starting to write off buying a 360 and this game...I must stay strong

OrangeOak said:
Just like in PGR4 the main problem would probably be disc space.

2 disks isn't enough for this? Seems like it would be. Or just make it DLC non-paid. I don't care how they get it to me .. just get it to me!

Ty4on

flyinpiranha said:
2 disks isn't enough for this? Seems like it would be. Or just make it DLC non-paid. I don't care how they get it to me .. just get it to me!
Technically the second disc was free DLC and they only used a little over one GB of the second disc in FM3.

Snubbers

saladine1 said:

Edit: In all honesty though, If night was subjected to only a couple or even one track, then I wouldn't mind. One is better than none in my eyes. This goes for weather as well..

Since they don't have any transitioning time of day, it does suggest that there is still some 'pre-baking' done at some level in their engine, and that possibly tells us that night isn't just a case of 'turn off ambient light' and 'turn on headlights'.. So it may be a case (as people are saying) that too many pre-baked assets = too much disk space for all tracks.

I'm with you in not minding if night is limited, although I'm also not too bothered if it's not in, my experience in other driving games with 'night' is it despite the fact I think I should like it, I always come away a bit disappointed. Perhaps it's one of those things that if not done properly you might as well not bother..

I do admit that anything that impairs vision such as night/rain etc does invariably frustrate the hell out of me.. PGR4 was a classic example, everyone but me seemed to like the fog..

acm2000

saladine1 said:

i was under the impression that night time would require all new texturing on the tracks due to how the art is made, but i could be wrong

Jamesways

Honestly, If I had a choice, I'd take rain over night racing. IRL there's not that many series that race at night, pretty much just the 12/24hr Endurance racing. A round of GT1 or MotoGP other than that.

However, almost all of 'em will race in the rain.

Still will be thrilled to see some night racing in if it is in.

OrangeOak

brotkasten said:
T10 has much more disc space than Bizarre had back then.

but they have much bigger game with 4x more cars and 30+ environments(there were about 10 in PGR and only few had night)... Even if they can do it with two discs, what about people without hard drives?

Ty4on

OrangeOak said:
but they have much bigger game with 4x more cars and 30+ environments(there were about 10 in PGR and only few had day/night)... Even if they can do it with two discs, what about people without hard drives?
They have to play with what's on disc one. In FM3 that was all the tracks except the longest (Fujimi, the Ring and Positano) and without some cars.

Mascot

I have made peace with myself.
There is no night, no weather, no Spa and no Bathurst.

Zen rocks. Buddah is my bestest buddy.

Scrum

This might be a stupid question but here goes:
How big is the possibility that Turn 10 stays in europe for a week after Gamescom is over and reveal a new track next weekend in Belgium?

Formula 1 has a race at a certain location next weekend.

Top Bottom