• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fountain Pens 2k16

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Girlfriend surprised me with this for my birthday!
2fYQ9tsl.jpg

6ZIkTull.jpg

Looks pretty fancy.

Just changed ink cartridges for the first time on my LAMY Fountain Pen and now it won't write. The cartridges are pretty simple to change out but something went horribly wrong. I just tried another refill cartridge and the same thing is happening. Help me FoutainGAF. You are my only hope.

Just changed ink cartridges for the first time on my LAMY Fountain Pen and now it won't write. The cartridges are pretty simple to change out but something went horribly wrong. I just tried another refill cartridge and the same thing is happening. Help me FoutainGAF. You are my only hope.

Did you flush the pen's feed and nib with water and then dry them before switching cartridges? Some inks do not mix well and may cause clogging, although if you're using the same "brand" of cartridge, that should be less of a problem.

Did you insert the new cartridge with the nib facing up?

Did you insert the new cartridge firmly enough?

Did you gently squeeze the new cartridge once it was inserted correctly to prime the feed?

Some pens or inks can be slow starters even after you've done everything correctly, when that happens, I just watch a video or something and "doodle" on scratch paper until the ink comes out, it can take a while, but never upwards of a minute for me yet. Also, take a close-up look at your nib to make sure it isn't carrying around paper fibers, which may cause issues.

@InfiniteNine - I'd keep that girl, were I you.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I was twirling my pen like a moron in class and got in on the desk and made a mess.

I need some of those moist handwipes.

Used fountain pens in college. First Lamy and then Vanishing Point. But I'm moving away from them for practical reasons. . I miss buying new ink online.

Porcile

The ink in my LAMY Vista (clear Safari) dries up after not using it for a little while. Anyone else have this problem? The ink cartridges don't last all that long.

Wow, that looks great! I might have to get that book.
Thanks! The book is great. I think it's currently in print though I grabbed a used copy. He starts off teaching a more calligraphic style (which my text is) and then he goes into developing a faster cursive style from there. Lots of exercises, lots of examples. Very clear.

EDIT: A couple more practice lines since I'm bored at work...

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Has anyone used any of Italix's pens? They show up on Massdrop pretty frequently. I like some of the designs, and the price point (usually ~$50-80 for pens retialing for ~$90-120) is attractive. I had one positive review from a friend, but they hadn't actually owned the pen in years. Wondering if anyone has any experience with Italix and can make a recommendation.

Dunno if anyone wants to enter, as it requires a subscription to JetPens newsletter, but they are doing a giveaway for Emerald of Chivor, 100 sheets of A5 Cream Tomoe River paper, and a Regal 503 Hadrian w/Medium Nib fountain pen.

Entries good until April 1st, 11:59 PM PST, US residents only.

http://www.jetpens.com/blog/pen-perks-emerald-of-chivor-giveaway/pt/861

Answer to the question is:
J. Herbin Emerald of Chivor and Sailor Yama-dori

& good luck to you if you should enter!

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Ordered an Italix Churchman's Prescriptor from Massdrop to celebrate landing a new job in the fast-paced world of analytical chemistry! I'll let you know how it is!

The new Jetpens pocket notebooks with Tomoe River paper are as awesome as you would expect. These will probably be my new go-to choice for Pocket notebook.

It's like they always say: once you go Tomoe...back you never...go-mo.

Maybe they don't say that.

It's like they always,say: once you go Tomoe...back you never...go-mo.

I believe it's Once you go Tomoe you never go Rho.
... but that might have been a fever dream.

Does anyone know of a fine nib that is not wallet breaking and yet isn't 'scratchy'?
I like the Platinum Preppy and my Lamy but i'm thinking of getting a Fine nibbed Kaweco Sport as i really like the feel of the Sport Medium i have on the crappy paper i use at work for notes.

Peru

Been working my way through Fred Eager's "The Italic Way to Beautiful Handwriting":

That might be useful for me... but I'm not sure it's designed for people like me who have genuinely abhorrent handwriting and just want to get up on an acceptable level.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I believe it's Once you go Tomoe you never go Rho.
... but that might have been a fever dream.

Does anyone know of a fine nib that is not wallet breaking and yet isn't 'scratchy'?
I like the Platinum Preppy and my Lamy but i'm thinking of getting a Fine nibbed Kaweco Sport as i really like the feel of the Sport Medium i have on the crappy paper i use at work for notes.

I have the same experience - my Kaweco Sport is an M-nib, but it is one of my better pens for writing on cheap paper. I *just* got a converter for my Sport, so I've been using the Kaweco cartridges - some inks definitely work better than others on crappy paper.

One option for getting a nice, smooth fine nib may be to have an existing pen tuned. I bought my smooth italic Pilot Metropolitan from Nib Grinder and it is absolutely one of my favorite pens to write with. He's a super nice guy to work with, too. You can send him a pen along with detailed instructions about the inks you use, the feel you are looking for, etc. and he'll modify your pen to meet those needs.

The service, plus shipping your pen to and from his shop, will set you back about $50. He can also modify a new Pilot Metro for you. Mine was $40, all told, with shipping. It looks like he now offers new TWSBIs, modified to your specifications. The "shop" area of his site sometimes has pens listed, but just email him directly if you want to buy something new.

He does a special XXF grind of Pilot Metro nibs that is supposed to be amazing. The custom grind really makes it into a whole new pen. If there is a body style you like, that's one of the cheapest ways to get a custom pen that you should love.

That might be useful for me... but I'm not sure it's designed for people like me who have genuinely abhorrent handwriting and just want to get up on an acceptable level.

My parents had a copy of this, just sitting on the shelves! Cool book! I don't know that there's any difference between starting with decent handwriting and wanting to make it very elegant, versus having terrible handwriting and wanting to make it decent, aside from the amount of time you want to spend working on it. The same basic principles apply, and you always start with the same fundamentals.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Can you put a Rhodia pocket notebook on top of the Jetpen notebook? I'd like to see the size difference.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Can you put a Rhodia pocket notebook on top of the Jetpen notebook? I'd like to see the size difference.

Sure!

Left to right: Hobonichi pocket notebook, Jetpens Kanso Sasshi, Field Notes Adventure log, Rhodia pocket notebook

Note that the Hobonichi pocket notebooks are graph ruled, the Jetpens notebooks are blank (there is a piece of ruled cardstock included to place behind the page you are using), and the Rhodia pocket notebook is graph ruled.

Silkworm

Ordered an Italix Churchman's Prescriptor from Massdrop to celebrate landing a new job in the fast-paced world of analytical chemistry! I'll let you know how it is!

The new Jetpens pocket notebooks with Tomoe River paper are as awesome as you would expect. These will probably be my new go-to choice for Pocket notebook.

It's like they always say: once you go Tomoe...back you never...go-mo.

Woah, I was impressed by that video they had on the Tomoe River paper. Looks very, very nice! And only $15 for a set of 2 of those pocket notebooks? Seems like a nice price to me :)

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Woah, I was impressed by that video they had on the Tomoe River paper. Looks very, very nice! And only $15 for a set of 2 of those pocket notebooks? Seems like a nice price to me :)

In any other thread on GAF, I'd read that as sarcasm. :p
Thank God I choose to surround myself with only those who know the joys of fine paper.

Silkworm

In any other thread on GAF, I'd read that as sarcasm. :p
Thank God I choose to surround myself with only those who know the joys of fine paper.

No sarcasm here, I promise :) Watching those different pens glide over that paper dispensing ink with nary a feathering... gorgeous :) $15 for two pocket notebooks with that type of paper seems worth it to me.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
No sarcasm here, I promise :) Watching those different pens glide over that paper dispensing ink with nary a feathering... gorgeous :) $15 for two pocket notebooks with that type of paper seems worth it to me.

Oh absolutely! I think it's a very fair price for a really premium product. I'm happy to see Hobonichi products and Tomoe River paper spreading across the US. :)

Hey, thanks!

If you're interested in my planner, I have a whole thread for you!
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1157405

:eek:

*goes to link*

You make just the best OPs Bagels <3. Will settle down with a nice cup of tea and did into that thread now :). You know, it's just occurred to me that nice things like your planner, a fountain pen and good paper to write it on are not necessary but they just make life more pleasant all round. Well done you and thank you for being an evangelist on GAF for these lovely things :). It is appreciated.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!

*goes to link*

You make just the best OPs Bagels <3. Will settle down with a nice cup of tea and did into that thread now :). You know, it's just occurred to me that nice things like your planner, a fountain pen and good paper to write it on are not necessary but they just make life more pleasant all round. Well done you and thank you for being an evangelist on GAF for these lovely things :). It is appreciated.

Thank you so much! You are absolutely right - I get so much enjoyment out of my pens, paper, and ink. I end up writing more, I enjoy the writing I do more, and, yeah, it just makes my life that much more pleasant. It has been super fun to see other people find that same enjoyment I feel, and have cool people to talk about this stuff with! <3

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Thank for those pics. I wish it had been out a week earlier.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Any opinion on the gold vs silver pilot metropolitan? Looking at the dotted version.

http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Metropolitan-Fountain-Pen-Gold-Dot-Medium-Nib/pd/10176

http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Metropolitan-Fountain-Pen-Silver-Dot-Medium-Nib/pd/10175

Leaning toward gold just for uniqueness in the office.

My wife has the silver with dots. It has a nice, understated charm. The gold does stand out a little more. I guess...the more I spend on a pen, the more likely I am to go with a super conservative choice. That's often all that's offered anyway - plenty of silver, matte black, stuff like that. So why not get a slightly funkier cheap pen? Go with the gold.

Lamy 2000 EF. Best pen I have ever carried. The Kaweco brass sport is my next purchase as I need an everyday throw in my pocket pen.

I was thinking about canceling Goulet's Ink Drop this month, but then I ran out of ink in both my Metropolitans at the same time! Maybe I'm writing stuff more than I thought I was... finally got to test two of the March inks! Was kind of disappointed that 4/5 were Diamine, to be honest.

Anyway, still here and lurking and contemplating giant splurge purchases.

Also... someone answered that Bagels are their favorite type of bread in Miitomo, so...

Couldn't resist a little nod/joke!

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I was thinking about canceling Goulet's Ink Drop this month, but then I ran out of ink in both my Metropolitans at the same time! Maybe I'm writing stuff more than I thought I was... finally got to test two of the March inks! Was kind of disappointed that 4/5 were Diamine, to be honest.

Anyway, still here and lurking and contemplating giant splurge purchases.

Also... someone answered that Bagels are their favorite type of bread in Miitomo, so...

Couldn't resist a little nod/joke!

This is quality content.

I was not crazy about all the Diamine in the March drop, either. I *want* to like Diamine more, but their inks are so weirdly forgettable. They're fine, but I can't think of a single color they make that I love.

Guess I'm not going to have to cancel Ink Drop, they're doing it for me. Cancelling the entire program. There's a video about why on the Goulet YouTube channel.

This isn't helping with my "Everything I get into dies/goes away." paranoia, but I see why they had to do it. If they could automate the process via machine, it would make more sense to continue, but just watching that manual packing process was brutal.

Glad I got to experience it at all, now. I guess this is the reason the last few months are Diamine-heavy.

Guess I'm not going to have to cancel Ink Drop, they're doing it for me. Cancelling the entire program. There's a video about why on the Goulet YouTube channel.

This isn't helping with my "Everything I get into dies/goes away." paranoia, but I see why they had to do it. If they could automate the process via machine, it would make more sense to continue, but just watching that manual packing process was brutal.

Glad I got to experience it at all, now. I guess this is the reason the last few months are Diamine-heavy.

I signed up in January and after only three months I now have an ink sample backlog--boy, there's three words I didn't think I'd need to put together. I thought the Ink Drop was a really cool idea, though, so it's a shame the model doesn't seem to be sustainable for Goulet. IIRC they're still going to be putting together themed sample packs; I hope those turn out well.

I actually just tried out the Diamine Majestic Blue sample from last month and omigosh that red sheen is so cool. I didn't get why it was a big deal until I saw it for myself, apparently!

I figured out one of the reasons I'm not liking Diamine inks at all, and it might be stupid or hard for me to explain. They simply don't have legs. I know that's probably more a wine term than a ink term, but flipping their sample vials upsidedown or slowly turning them while horizontal, it doesn't show you much or any translucent properties of the ink as it travels. Even their thicker or slower inks tend to clump rather than diffuse. It is a bummer, so I have been choosing to try out the inks I can see a greater spectrum of colors from or better play in the light.

Got my April 2016 Ink Drop and I like green and brown, so the color selection is making me happy. In the vial, I'm very impressed by Magical Forest. Very shimmery. I might have to break out a dip pen to test it. It is making me impatient!

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Shit. Massdrop has Lamy 2000s for $104.

9 more days to join.

I've got to stay strong.
Oops. I ordered it.

I stayed strong for almost 15 seconds! I figured I deserve the pen as a reward for my amazing restraint.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
i got a fountain pen recently as a gift. it's made by Cross. at least that's all that's written on it. i think it cost about £55. i had a fountain pen years ago and it just leaked everywhere so avoided them. this seems to be a pretty good pen so far. feels nice to write with. i know there are way more expensive/higher quality pens and this is probably just a entry level pen or something.

i'm using little ink cartridges at the moment but it did come with an ink bottle. i have no idea how to fill the little tube up (not the cartridges. it came with a different tube. not sure of the name of it but i guess it sucks the ink up or something). i'm gonna need to read the manual again.

i always thought it was crazy to spend so much on a pen but this has impressed me. i now find myself getting all excited and thinking "shit, i'm gonna sign this with my very best pen!". really enjoy writing with it and it makes my atrocious handwriting look half decent!

I was twirling my pen like a moron in class and got in on the desk and made a mess.

I need some of those moist handwipes.

Oh shit, AFA got banned?

Anyways, I've semi-officially become a part of you FountainGAF. Got this 5-dollar nonrefillable cheap fountain pen by Pilot. It's pretty good!

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I figured out one of the reasons I'm not liking Diamine inks at all, and it might be stupid or hard for me to explain. They simply don't have legs. I know that's probably more a wine term than a ink term, but flipping their sample vials upsidedown or slowly turning them while horizontal, it doesn't show you much or any translucent properties of the ink as it travels. Even their thicker or slower inks tend to clump rather than diffuse. It is a bummer, so I have been choosing to try out the inks I can see a greater spectrum of colors from or better play in the light.

Got my April 2016 Ink Drop and I like green and brown, so the color selection is making me happy. In the vial, I'm very impressed by Magical Forest. Very shimmery. I might have to break out a dip pen to test it. It is making me impatient!

There really is something about Diamine where...I guess I don't grow to love any of their inks more and more. Any Iroshizuku I have, I love returning to and I find new subtleties and new things to love. Diamine is okay now, okay tomorrow, okay six years from now. I'll never fall more deeply in love.

I do enjoy Magical Forest quite a bit, but again, it's no J. Herbin. It feels so damn much like a reasonable knock-off of the idea.

i got a fountain pen recently as a gift. it's made by Cross. at least that's all that's written on it. i think it cost about £55. i had a fountain pen years ago and it just leaked everywhere so avoided them. this seems to be a pretty good pen so far. feels nice to write with. i know there are way more expensive/higher quality pens and this is probably just a entry level pen or something.

i'm using little ink cartridges at the moment but it did come with an ink bottle. i have no idea how to fill the little tube up (not the cartridges. it came with a different tube. not sure of the name of it but i guess it sucks the ink up or something). i'm gonna need to read the manual again.

i always thought it was crazy to spend so much on a pen but this has impressed me. i now find myself getting all excited and thinking "shit, i'm gonna sign this with my very best pen!". really enjoy writing with it and it makes my atrocious handwriting look half decent!

Yay! Is it a screw-type converter? Do you twist a little knob at the back to fill it with ink? If you post a pic, I'm sure we can help figure it out.

Oh shit, AFA got banned?

Anyways, I've semi-officially become a part of you FountainGAF. Got this 5-dollar nonrefillable cheap fountain pen by Pilot. It's pretty good!

He's back! Fishy and I go way back, and I may have intentionally tried to hook him on fountain pens and Moxie.

Zero regrets.

The sexual tension is insane, but I should not mention that. He is one handsome man!

In the old thread, Funyarinpa, I focused on those pens - Pilot Varsity/V-Pen. My wife still swears by them. If you enjoy that, grab a Pilot Metropolitan and never look back!

I am now awaiting my Lamy 2000 and Italix Churchman's Prescriptor! I really cannot wait! I also met a vintage fountain pen collector through tumblr who is offering to sell me an Osmiroid 75 at cost. He fixes them up himself. About to message him to see what he has to offer. I have not dipped my toes into the vintage pen world, so this is pretty exciting!

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Let me know what you think of the 2000 Bagels. It is my edc pen and I feel naked without it.

You pushed me over the edge on this pen, so expect either a hug or me stabbing you with it. :)

I went with an F nib. You can get an EF for $130 on Amazon, but you will sometimes get burned with knockoffs, and EF is too fine for my writing.

The Lamy 2000 love out there is so strong! It's a gorgeous pen, so I cannot wait!

Top Bottom