• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FOX to bring MAGIC THE GATHERING to the big screen as a new film franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Novels. Hopefully they will go with really old-school stuff, Urza & stuff.

phage-la-intocable-phage-the-untouchable-chino-34210.jpg

I forgot about the books, I LOVED the Urza stuff. That would be amazing.

I could see it being... okay? It would honestly work a lot better as a TV show, though. There's too much lore and too many fans of certain characters to be truly satisfactory. It'd be a lot more interesting to me to be able to tune in one day and see something happening w/ Jace, Chandra, Garruk, etc., and then another day watch an episode about Ajani + Nicol Bolas, and then the next day watch a Karn episode or something.

I could see it being... okay? It would honestly work a lot better as a TV show, though. There's too much lore and too many fans of certain characters to be truly satisfactory. It'd be a lot more interesting to me to be able to tune in one day and see something happening w/ Jace, Chandra, Garruk, etc., and then another day watch an episode about Ajani + Nicol Bolas, and then the next day watch a Karn episode or something.

Yeah, thatd be pretty awesome actually

BearPawB

Banned
The guy responsible for x-men and fantastic four doesn't give me hope.

But i kind of like the magic lore. Not that i know any of it. But Jace looks cool?

images

Jasup

I bet its gonna be about some shitty kid discovering magic cards and magical stuff happening.

"Tim is a brainy kid who moved to new town with his father got a job from an eccentric old scientist. It's hard to make friends in his new school, especially when a group of bullies decide to focus on the awkward new kid .

However Tim's luck is about to change when he finds a hidden deck of cards and their secret magic powers."

Will watch.

alternade

So im thinking Jake Gyllenhaal as Jace, Angelina Jolie as Liliana, Forest Whitiker as Ajani, Steve Buscemi as Delver of Secrets, and Christopher Walken as Aetherling.

Randdalf

I really don't understand why they don't just make their own original fantasy film series. The film industry is astonishingly creatively bankrupt.

ultron87

I can certainly appreciate a game I love getting more exposure, but this will likely be silly.

JLaw as Chandra.

gerg

I actually enjoyed the Onslaught trilogy of books - they were about the only fantasy I read as a child - but, apart from that... yeah, I'm not sure I have faith in this.

I wonder how much involvement people like Mark Rosewater will have with the film - will he make sure it matches Wizards' "seven year plan", for example?

Pirates of the Caribbean did well.

Battleship was ass.

Movies based on IPs with no discernible story seem hit or miss.

Battleship though had alot of potential that they just decided to flush away trying for Transformers.

Pirates they basically just pulled everything out of their ass and it ended up being huge.

Skunkers

This is Hasbro trying like hell to push as many of their IPs out to Hollywood as possible, after the success of Transformers and the utter failure of Battleship. Fortunately for them, Hollywood is fucking all about taking IPs and trying to make film franchises out of them because franchises are the hot ticket to making cash right now.

I'm fine with it, I guess, but pushing Magic as some kind of LOTR/Harry Potter-sized fantasy franchise is somewhat LOL-worthy. I feel like the Warcraft movie has a better chance at success, and I'm not 100% sure of that one either.

Ferrio

Banned
I stopped playing Magic before the Ice Age expansion was released and I have no idea what's going on with this card.

Planeswalker cards they're......really different.

Basically they start with X amount of tokens (lower right).

Then you have several actions you can take each turn, that either add tokens or take them away. If there's ever 0 tokens on the card it's a goner. So for that card if you took 14 tokens off it, you could do that restart game action.

Also players when attacking declare whether they're attacking you the player or the planeswalker card. When they take damage they lose X counters per damage.

Believe that's how they work, still new to me.

wildfire

Banned
Is there anybody at all who plays the game for its richly drawn world-building and storylines?

The gameplay mattered the most but a lot of people had their preferences for certain colors because of the fluff and would build or demand (if the current tools were horrible) for theme decks.

Slivers were the shit for being the first multicolored faction.

Nomnomnom.

The collectible aspect wouldn't work so well without the world building elements.

Platy

I would pay to see a movie where the scene happens :

"NOW YOU WILL SUFFER THE WRATH OF MY DRAGONS !"

*summons dragons*

"...what ?"

*dragons vomiting in the corner*

hat_hair

You know, what I think was the very first Magic book...I actually really liked that one. Think it was called Arena.

I didn't think anyone else would remember that book. I really enjoyed that one as a kid. It was probably the most faithful to the card game.

Jasup

Kid summons Lord of the Pit, has nothing to sacrifice, gets eaten. The end. I don't think a "kid finds magic cards" movie would work well.
The sequel's about three tenage girls who try to use witchcraft solve the mysterious disappearance of a boy a year earlier. When they find Tim's deck of cards they soon realize that dark forces shouldn't be played with....

But really, I'd wager this'll be a mediocre fantasy movie which the studio is making trying to cash in on the recent trend.

I feel like this is going to suck.

Mostly because it's guaranteed to be about Planeswalkers, and they're not relatable enough to make a good main character in an epic tale. They're just too powerful.

A movie series about the Weatherlight crew would be pretty cool, but none of the other storylines I can think of would really work.

Opiate

Is there anybody at all who plays the game for its richly drawn world-building and storylines?

I think you could make the argument that a completely blank slate (with an attached, popular IP) is better than a full slate with messy, poor stories (a la most video games).

The big success of these types is Pirates of the Caribbean, which succeeded in part because it was completely unburdened by the need to fit any particular story line other than "it's in the Carribean with Pirates."

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Pirates they basically just pulled everything out of their ass and it ended up being huge.

Yeah. In some ways, this is better than having an already established universe which the writers have to write around.

With MtG, FOX basically has a generic fantasy universe clean slate, which they can then populate with whatever the hell they want, while including references here and there for fan service.

Whoever they hire to write the screenplay can basically go to town.

JdFoX187

Banned
So sick and tired of these attempts to kickstart a franchise that almost always end up going nowhere. Even in the rare instance the movie isn't completely insulting, it usually ends in some bullshit cliffhanger or teaser that goes nowhere. What happened to making a contained movie, hoping it does well and then going from there? At least Pacific Rim had a closed arc, which doesn't require a sequel.

Opiate

Yeah. In some ways, this is better than having an already established universe which the writers have to write around.

With MtG, FOX basically has a generic fantasy universe clean slate, which they can then populate with whatever the hell they want, while including references here and there for fan service.

Whoever they hire to write the screenplay can basically go to town.

One post too late, Renta.

I could see this working out very well as an animated series that actually plays out card battles in story terms. As a kid I wouldn't be able to resist such a thing.

But who the fuck told Hasbro that card and board games are rife with motion picture potential?

I never actually played MTG, just bought a couple of packs from time to time randomly, but I agree, the smell of a new pack of cards was amazing.

I was the same way, I would buy those big packs and a few smaller ones every once in a while, hardly played anyone I just liked the way they looked. Was more of a D&D player.

Opiate

This is the thread, I guess, where I mention I played M:TG back in 8th grade and I still own a Beta Black Lotus as well as a full set of Moxes that are a mix of Alpha/Beta. And a Time Walk. And some other cards. They sit in the attic in my parents' home, and they know not to throw them away.

terrisus

This is the thread, I guess, where I mention I played M:TG back in 8th grade and I still own a Beta Black Lotus as well as a full set of Moxes that are a mix of Alpha/Beta. And a Time Walk. And some other cards. They sit in the attic in my parents' home, and they know not to throw them away.

Saving them to fund your retirement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom