• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FOX to bring MAGIC THE GATHERING to the big screen as a new film franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think an in-universe movie that basically has nothing to do, directly, with the storylines of the game could be interesting, but at that point, why not just make an original IP (other than the obvious marketing boon).

This strikes me as the line of thought that produced the Transformers movies. Magic The Movie will be a story of a regular guy and a super hot love interest caught up in a big plot that threatens all of Ravnica/Dominia/whatever. I guess it's a safer bet at the box office than trying to cram the insane amounts of lore printed onto tens of thousands of cards into a two hour script but it's a bit repellent to the original audience.

Toad.T

Banned
To me, it seems odd that they've decided to make movies based off of Hasbro IP's like Hungry Hungry Hippos and Tonka.

But to me, it's even odder that they haven't tried to do a movie about that one franchise about colts that's popular with certain sectors of nerds. It seems like Hollywood would normally mount that shit and never let go. Maybe their test film wasn't good enough?

lunchtoast

A young teenage boy has to travel across the country to reach a Magic tournament in the back of a comic shop in southern California, battling others along the way. He meets a tomboy who tags along, and they eventually develop feelings for each other.

Happily surprised at the amount of people in this thread who remember Arena. If the movie is anything along the lines of that story I'll be super happy. Especially if it focuses on a new planeswalker on a new plane that the make into a new block.

Charade

Making a serious prediction for storyline, it'll focus on Jace.

That, or some nobody activates his/her spark and enters the dangerous world of a planeswalker. Jace or one of the other neo-walkers would serve the Obi-Wan role. I just hope there is absolutely no Earth involved.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
But who wouldn't be excited for Adam Sandler's Candyland?

Ak2EDga.png

....now Hungry Hungry Hippos has everything to be the best movie EVER

gol15.jpg

Considering I may need to look for work, maybe I should audition for the role of lead hippo...

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
If they dont do brothers war (which sadly they won't) or the urza saga (which sadly they won't) I at least hope for a jace/chandra/garruk/gideon vs nicol bolas storyline. In fact if we don't get nicol bolas at some point I'd be pretty surprised. Perfect ultimate villain. And if it's successful they could always do a prequel spin off about the dragon wars.

Volimar

Young nobody is plunged into a big struggle. Can do a bit of magic. Takes on enemy. At the moment of the hero's defeat, his planeswalker spark ignites and he triumphs over evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom