• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FOX to bring MAGIC THE GATHERING to the big screen as a new film franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karakand

planeswalkers wtf is this shit loyality counters?

You're supposed to be calling on a peer planeswalker to help you in your duel. Since they're a fickle being of immense power with no great interest in your success during the local FNM's third round of Swiss, their interaction with the game (generally) reduces the likelihood of future interaction until they really stop giving a fuck and leave for planes unknown head to your graveyard.

As you can see the abstraction collapses in on itself rather easily.

Wichu

I feel like this is going to suck.

Mostly because it's guaranteed to be about Planeswalkers, and they're not relatable enough to make a good main character in an epic tale. They're just too powerful.

A movie series about the Weatherlight crew would be pretty cool, but none of the other storylines I can think of would really work.

Well, Planeswalkers got massively nerfed at the climax of the Time Spiral storyline (they went from practically gods to mortal, if powerful, mages with plane-travelling abilities). Post-Mending Planeswalkers should be fine.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
The only Magic books I've read were from the Invasion saga. They should totally make a movie from those. Its got the Weatherlight crew, the Phyrexia and that scary mechanical spider lady.

That or Urza Saga with the original planeswalker himself. I'm optimistic about it.

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member
This is Hasbro trying like hell to push as many of their IPs out to Hollywood as possible, after the success of Transformers and the utter failure of Battleship.
Then why doesn't Hasbro try to push
ponies
to Hollywood already?

But who wouldn't be excited for Adam Sandler's Candyland?

Ak2EDga.png

GI Joe 3 is missing.

Ferrio

Banned
The only Magic books I've read were from the Invasion saga. They should totally make a movie from those. Its got the Weatherlight crew, the Phyrexia and that scary mechanical spider lady.

That or Urza Saga with the original planeswalker himself. I'm optimistic about it.

I'm not sure audiences would buy it. Urza was quite a dick really, least if I'm remembering right. Gerrard could work though.

This is the thread, I guess, where I mention I played M:TG back in 8th grade and I still own a Beta Black Lotus as well as a full set of Moxes that are a mix of Alpha/Beta. And a Time Walk. And some other cards. They sit in the attic in my parents' home, and they know not to throw them away.

You haven't heard? They are reprinting all of that stuff pretty soon.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Is there anybody at all who plays the game for its richly drawn world-building and storylines?

Storylines? Not really. World building? Absolutely. The world building is one of the best parts about Magic for me, and how in recent years they've really doubled down on trying to make the mechanics thematically intertwined with the worlds

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Uh... oh...kay?

I guess it'd be cool to see some of the cooler art translated into big CGI creations I guess.

Seeing something like the gods from the new set would almost be worth it even if (lol if) the movie is trash.

tumblr_mz93nc7pfu1qia2dho1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mz93nc7pfu1qia2dho2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mz93nc7pfu1qia2dho3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mz93nc7pfu1qia2dho4_1280.jpg

tumblr_mz93nc7pfu1qia2dho5_1280.jpg

bigkrev

As little to do with anything currently created please.

Make the main character a (new) Planeswalker, you can show a montage of already created Planes in the intro when he gives a monologue about how he can Planeswalk, and you can reference other characters in passing if you want, but please, make everything else original. The closer it ties to the existing material, the worse the movie will be.

arkon

They need to borrow some ideas from Yugioh to make it really exciting. I want to hear "the heart of the cards" at least once in a line of dialogue.

ultron87

Stop trying to make Jace happen WotC, it's not going to happen.
I doubt they are lying when they always mention he is the most popular Planeswalker. The question is whether the guy popular among card game players would be more widely marketable and suitable as a film protagonist.

marrec

Banned
Oh, it's going to be about Jace. The only question now is which actor is going to portray him.

Michael Douglas. Directed by Edgar Wright.

I doubt they are lying when they always mention he is the most popular Planeswalker. The question is whether the guy popular among card game players would be more widely marketable and suitable as a film protagonist.

He's only the most popular cause Urza's dead.

:(

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I was wondering when this would finally happen. The game has a huge base of lore to take from with dozens and dozens of long involved stories.
Personally I think they should start with the brother's war and move on from that.

Yeef

I think an in-universe movie that basically has nothing to do, directly, with the storylines of the game could be interesting, but at that point, why not just make an original IP (other than the obvious marketing boon).

If they had to focus on currently existing characters, I think Sorin would probably be the most interesting.

Khezu

I stopped playing Magic before the plainswalker stuff.

Out of all the Planeswalkers I have seen, I like Jace the most, mostly because he looks cool.

Sounds like everyone hates him though, and Wizard is trying to shove him down every ones throat.

In all seriousness, I think for a lot of players the appeal of Magic's lore lies in the fact that you only glean the stories piecemeal, card by card. There's a mystery to it, but you're still able to latch on to important names like Lim-Dul and Urza.

For the life of me, I couldn't tell you anything about Lim-Dul other than the fact that he's the Necromancer. But I like that.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
In all seriousness, I think for a lot of players the appeal of Magic's lore lies in the fact that you only glean the stories piecemeal, card by card. There's a mystery to it, but you're still able to latch on to important names like Lim-Dul and Urza.

For the life of me, I couldn't tell you anything about Lim-Dul other than the fact that he's the Necromancer. But I like that.

Might have been true at some point but the lore is very well documented in novels now.

Lim-Dul has a lot of background, and it's interesting. If you wish to remain ignorant don't bother clicking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom