• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fractured Souls (3DS eShop) |OT| 3Dimensional Shifting

NeOak

ibvp3EgEAgCmM3.jpg
This is a Nintendo eShop 3DS game that actually has an interesting gameplay mechanic: The use of both screens as dimensions where you can move between them to avoid dangers and be able to progress in the game. This game has been in development for over 7 years and its finally being released in the Nintendo eShop!

Release Date
  • US: Out Now!
  • EU: Out Now!
  • AUS: Out Now!
Price:
  • US $11.99
  • EU: €7.99
  • AUS: AUD$:9.99

"Fractured Soul is for core gamers like us that grew up playing classics like Mega Man and Castlevania. We wanted to capture the intense, pulse-pounding action of those games, but to give ours a unique twist that really turns the game on its head. With the dual-screen, dimension-shifting gameplay I think we've done that -- we hope 3DS gamers out there will agree."

-Grant Davies, Managing director and Endgame Studios

Premise:
You are forgotten. Stranded on an outpost in deep space, you remember nothing of who you are. All you know is that you are different. You are able to shift into a parallel dimension at will.
The outpost has been invaded, and is now swarming with hostiles. Escape is imperative, and with danger on all sides, it is only your unique power that can give you a fighting chance...

Key Features:
  • Double the action: Fractured Soul takes the classic, instantly familiar platform game and brings it to the next level with dual-screen gameplay!
  • Online rankings for speed running: Compete against your friends and the world via Nintendo leaderboards.
  • Gameplay variety: 5 major zones, each bringing a unique challenge to the second screen. Your dimension-shifting journey will take you underwater, through fierce winds, scorching heat and even inverse gravity!
  • Hours of content: 30 levels across 5 zones, including both platforming and shoot-em-up game styles, as well as epic, dual-screen boss battles!
  • Hardcore challenges: Unlock challenge levels, and test your skills to the limit!

Reviews

http://www.facebook.com/fracturedsoul/posts/378761398859778 said:
Fractured Soul is "one of the finest 3DS games" according to Nintendojo, MTV calls it "one of the best platforming games of the year", both Pocket Gamer and The Game Fanatics brand it a "must buy" while Venture Beat declares it's a "hidden gem".

Awesome reception so far - thanks for the support folks!

Review score round up thus far:

NintendoWorldReport - 85
Venture Beat - 85
WiiNintendo - 90
Nintendo Okie - 80
The Game Fanatics - 80
Nintendojo - A (+ editors' choice award)

Links:

Screenshots:

Nice op. Only think keeping me from pulling the trigger would be framerate at this point. Is it 60fps? I'm not a good enough person to play these types of games at anything less, but I adore them if they hit that mark.

bede-x

Looks a little bit like Chronos Twins. I'm vaguely interested, but will need to see more gameplay before buying.

Drago

Looks like another great addition to the eShop :)

Won't get it day 1, but I will definitely get it soon enough. :D

Hmm, a 3DS game that uses two screens for play. Glad to see one. :p

Might get it since it's part shmup.

Edit: The trailer sold me a bit more. I hope it has music nearly as good as what was in the trailer.

NeOak

I hoped to give this game a little more exposure outside of the Nintendo Downloads thread, but i borked the name in the title (its Soul, not Souls)

Looks a little bit like Chronos Twins. I'm vaguely interested, but will need to see more gameplay before buying.

The gameplay trailer might be of interest to you, but yeah, wait until tomorrow for more gameplay videos.

tkscz

It looks great, but $11.99 is a big drop for an eShop game, hmm.

Not if the game is made well enough. I guess we've gotten used to games on the eshop being $10 or less. This game looks very well polished with very great ideas. I'm buying it tomorrow when I get home from classes.

rjc571

Banned
Cool, didn't realize this had its own thread. Here's what I posted in the Nintendo Download thread.

Nintendo World Report reviewed Fractured Souls; they gave it an 8.5/10. Review

Some excerpts:

The predominant strategy in Fractured Soul doesn't concern precise platforming (the character, while relatively mobile and equipped with a double jump ability, lacks some of the accuracy of other games in the genre), but instead this capacity to effectively bounce back and forth between screens. Instead of relying on the character's jump ability to avoid enemy fire, you quickly slam back and forth between realities, allowing attacks to pass through your position and getting in shots when you once again share the same plane.

Instead of the Mega Man-esque platforming-and-shooting experience it leans on to poor effect, Fractured Soul seems better suited to a Mirror's Edge gameplay philosophy: smart, active avoidance with an interesting system, without the run-and-gun gameplay grafted on. Dealing with enemies by switching around and outsmarting them is far more satisfying than relying on the character's ineffective bursts, but Fractured Soul increasingly relies on such mechanics as you progress, which lead to unavoidable (and seemingly uneven) firefights and frustrations in later stages, and act as a deterrent to the game's consistently engrossing platforming.

Fractured Soul is a superb and fairly extensive collection of clever, interesting, and devious platforming ideas; most of it is good, much of it is fantastic. Some of it sullied by disruptive limitations and antithetical gameplay choices, though this slice is minimal compared to the abundance of well-structured—and decidedly fun—moments Fractured Soul delivers.

Just saw via Twitter that VGTribune's review just went live. They gave it an 8 and describe it as a mix of Megaman and Mighty Switch Force.

The more I hear about this, the more I want to give it a try. Still waiting on a few more reviews though.

NeOak

Well, the guys at Endgame Studios registered here on GAF after I pointed out this thread on twitter, but can't post since their account is in the approval process.

http://twitter.com/endgamestudios/status/246076834343702528 said:
@neoak Ugh can't post yet - don't have permissions on the forum. Would be good to answer some of those questions, and post more reviews.

Anything that can be done about this?

Teknoman

Just saw via Twitter that VGTribune's review just went live. They gave it an 8 and describe it as a mix of Megaman and Mighty Switch Force.

The more I hear about this, the more I want to give it a try. Still waiting on a few more reviews though.

Sounds up my alley. Adding it to my future purchases list.

NeOak

Well, got this on their twitter:

http://twitter.com/endgamestudios/status/246111766633926658 said:
@neoak Aah that's too bad. If you like, get in touch at media-at-endgamestudios.com or via FB and we can tell you any answers for now...

So any questions you might want to ask? I'll add the answers to the OP.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
So bought the moment it hits EU store.

Yagharek

Only found out about this 2 minutes ago. Looks fantastic, like someone crossbred Ikaruga with Contra. And took the dual world concept literally.

Will definitely give it a go if it comes out here.

edit: its already got an Australian classification (PG) so hopefully no barriers to local release :D

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Any quick impressions from those that downloaded already? The trailer looks interesting, but $11.99 is a hefty tag on a random download.

Played a few levels so far! I like it, feels kinda like Mega Man. The music and sound effects are a little tepid and bland though. Definately feels like a game that will get super hard later on.

Some impressions:

+Game is NOT 3D. It's polygonal-2D on the top and bottom screen.
+Action seems a little slow right now. (I'm on level 8) I'm sure this will ramp up as the game goes on.
+Has some pretty challenging platforming. It will sometimes have you switch between the two characters mid-jump to avoid damage/take advantage of an environmental effect. (Such as low-gravity while in water on the top-screen and normal gravity on the bottom.)
+Some enemies require both phases to work together and be destroyed on both screens.
+Graphics look pretty decent. Nothing amazing, but serviceable.
+Seems to be a decent amount of content. 30 Stages with unlockable bonus-content.
+Has friend-based leader boards to compare your scores to others. (No one else I know has the game, so I haven't got to really check it out.)
+Par-times ala Mighty Switch Force are in! You also get a higher rating if you collect all the secrets in a level. (Some are out in the open. Some are hidden in nooks and crannies and some are placed in areas that seem impossible to get to.)

-Music/Sound isn't that great.

Seriously. This game is really fun so far. I'd give it 8/10 from what I've played. The eShop needs more original content like this.

So I impulse bought it. I'm bored at work, sue me.

The game isn't good. I don't really care about the graphics being bad, or the art(which is worse than the graphics), I just wanted three things. Good framerate, tight platforming and a somewhat satisfying mechanic. That's it.

- This game didn't do any of the three. The level design is extremely dull, and I'm not talking looks. The structure of it's layout is just boring as shit. Not only that, but it doesn't coincide well with his set of animations and limits as far as jumping, shifting, collision, etc. You see platforms and feel like you can reach them, and even though your character looks as if he is making it, he wont. Like his feet just decided not to collide with the floor during a tight jump.

- The shifting mechanic works about how you expect it to. It's a simple set up, much suited for twitch gaming, and can easily be hours of fun with a decent design. Well, it didn't happen here. Due to the horrid platforming and boring as shit level design, you are just left switching in the most rudimentary of ways. Not trying to compare this to a game like Ikaruga, but you NEVER get that level of satisfaction from working with it's mechanics. I didn't expect anything, and still came away disappointed.

- Yeah, the framerate isn't 60fps. Therefore, it isn't good for this type of game. End of
story.

- No 3D

- Not sure how big the game is space wise, but it took forever to download in comparison to others.

- The sound is...there.

- Didn't get that far, and I never will. The game should have started out good if they wanted me to get any further.

Overall 2/5
For the asking price, your dollar will go MUCH farther on the eShop. Or at the store. You could get a small pack of leg quarters, fresh veggies, and something to drink with it. A good meal while reading the Bayonetta meltdown thread.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I nave been playing this. Its very good, challenging platforming. I would dare to say that the level design is better than Mutant Muds. Cool and original mechanics are introduced often, keeping the game fresh.

However, sometimes it borders from hard in to frustrating territory. Is never "cheap", but keeping track of both screens is hard while doing precise and timed platforming. Getting the Par scores should be a thrill for people who like challenges, though.

- The shifting mechanic works about how you expect it to. It's a simple set up, much suited for twitch gaming, and can easily be hours of fun with a decent design. Well, it didn't happen here. Due to the horrid platforming and boring as shit level design, you are just left switching in the most rudimentary of ways. Not trying to compare this to a game like Ikaruga, but you NEVER get that level of satisfaction from working with it's mechanics.

Yeah, you didn't got very far into the game.

I would agree with the "it's awful" assessment. It looks and sounds incredibly generic, the level design is boring, the controls are slow, the switching gimmick is not used for anything interesting.....and the cardinal sin, I'm not having any fun. I find the game annoying.

I would agree with the "it's awful" assessment. It looks and sounds incredibly generic, the level design is boring, the controls are slow, the switching gimmick is not used for anything interesting.....and the cardinal sin, I'm not having any fun. I find the game annoying.

Yes, I almost completely agree with this. I was hoping it'd be better, but the game felt so bland and never stopped feeling bland. Nice concept, but I don't like the execution.

I'm sure the length and amount of content would technically make the $13 worth it, but still, it's not too fun.

schlew

While I'm wishing the combat wasn't there at all (another way it reminds me of Mirror's Edge), the platforming has gotten better and better.

When the top and bottom screen's environments differ, the game really starts to shine. A slow but longer jump while under water makes for some tricky puzzles when the bottom screen remains in normal gravity. Never thought of the game going in this direction, and I'm pleased with the results.

Online leaderboards are great, but I wish more people knew they were there. Press X at the level select screen for the love of god. Upload those scores.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
While I'm wishing the combat wasn't there at all (another way it reminds me of Mirror's Edge), the platforming has gotten better and better.

When the top and bottom screen's environments differ, the game really starts to shine. A slow but longer jump while under water makes for some tricky puzzles when the bottom screen remains in normal gravity. Never thought of the game going in this direction, and I'm pleased with the results.
And that's just the beginning. :)

Online leaderboards are great, but I wish more people knew they were there. Press X at the level select screen for the love of god. Upload those scores.
But mine are pathetic. :(

schlew

And that's just the beginning. :)

But mine are pathetic. :(

Believe me, I'm hardly what anyone would call good. Very often I'm well below the score of my co-worker that reviewed the title. But still, very fun. I mean, we all complain about leaderboards when they're not there, so I might as well appreciate the fact that an eShop title got one.

Good to know that the game mixes things up even more.

As far as aesthetics go, while not great, I do find them pleasing. The hues of the underwater stages won me over, I suppose. Just nice having the two planes of existence look so different.

NeOak

Yes, its finally out in the EU & AUS eShop. Will update the OP later.

Edit: And its a bit cheaper than in the US!

Top Bottom