• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

France bans English gaming tech jargon in push to preserve language purity

Tams

Only for government publications.

wild GIF

Ionian

Had a submachine-gun pulled on me in Paris, to simply check if I had a ticket for the metro. Fucking crazy shit. Of course I had a ticket. French people aren't friendly to non-French people unless there is a benefit. Was only there with my missus for Disney-land.

I dropped a joint in Barcelona when I saw the civil police, they picked it up and handed it back to me.

Couldn't believe it.

Had a submachine-gun pulled on me in Paris, to simply check if I had a ticket for the metro. Fucking crazy shit. Of course I had a ticket. French people aren't friendly to non-French people unless there is a benefit. Was only there with my missus for Disney-land.

I dropped a joint in Barcelona when I saw the civil police, they picked it up and handed it back to me.

Couldn't believe it.
That's fucking crazy and my partner keeps pestering me about going to Paris but I keep hearing about how cold french are to foreigners. Fuck that.

That's fucking crazy and my partner keeps pestering me about going to Paris but I keep hearing about how cold french are to foreigners. Fuck that.

Better to read about Paris Syndrome than experience it

Now that I think of it wasn't there a thread years and years ago about some dudes in Toronto or around that area getting harrassed on the street by some natives because they were speaking in English and not French-Canadian?

nush

Couldn't believe it.

Dismissive *Pout shrug*.

Zeroing

Banned
France has always been protective of their language. Nothing new.
Exactly, met so many French tourists here In Portugal who refuse to use English even if they are fluent at the language! You have to speak to them in French!

True! That’s why their country has so many social issues! They aren’t very welcoming people at all !

Also Paris is not as beautiful as people think! It’s actually depressing! Waiting 5 hours in line to go to the Louvre to later realize you need at least 3 more days to fully visit it all, is the epitome of “why am I wasting my time!”
Also good luck trying to see the Mona Lisa! You’ll see phones in the air.

French like to talk about their joie de vie, well that’s a lie!

HarryKS

Now that I think of it wasn't there a thread years and years ago about some dudes in Toronto or around that area getting harrassed on the street by some natives because they were speaking in English and not French-Canadian?
No, Montréal.

Alx

They can do that under their law? Ban casual slang?

That's surprising if true.
It’s not a law, only guidelines for official communication.
The base idea is fine by me, but the French terminology they used isn’t that great, no chance people will use them naturally. French Canadians are often more creative when finding French equivalents of English expressions.

Last edited:

20cent

Banned
yeah how rude, these French only speak french to me when I go to Paris, and they only speak french when they visit other countries.. why don't they speak the only language I know when I go there?

Cyberpunkd

France is a country that won the highest number of wars it has ever fought.
Was only there with my missus for Disney-land.
That kinda shows your attitude towards France and French if you consider Disneyland a reason to go to Paris. Spoiler: you have these in the US.
French are not cold at all, they simply will not jump on you with kisses and hugs the moment they meet you - you are someone they never met before. Also French people made tremendous effort where the whole Paris basically learned English for tourists in the span of 5-10 years.
The were super cold when I was there, it's like they lack humor.

There is a reason for thee French nose in the air.
They don’t lack humour, they are simply not American with outwards display of emotions and ‘fake’ friendliness towards everyone.
Paris is one of the most beautiful and - most importantly - architecturally coherent cities in the world. The vast majority of buildings in the city center were built using the same style in the span of 40-50 years.
Do we have dog shit on the streets? Yup.
Homeless in the border districts? Yes.
Shit buildings on the outskirts ? You bet.

Way to have a good time in France? Drop the ‘customer is king!’ attitude, learn 5 French words to ask: Excusez-moi, parlez-vous anglais? Stop being the stereotypical (yes, it works both ways!) American tourists with a t-shirt under your shirt, sandals with white socks asking where the Eiffel Tower is (look around, it’s pretty hard to miss).

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

ever be to Paris? Police and security are all armed, it's normal.
Yes, because thankfully the general populace is not and someone needs to keep the peace and look out for terrorists. I feel much safer here than in the US knowing a random person cannot pull a gun on me.

Ionian

How do they say it?

That kinda shows your attitude towards France and French if you consider Disneyland a reason to go to Paris. Spoiler: you have these in the US.

French are not cold at all, they simply will not jump on you with kisses and hugs the moment they meet you - you are someone they never met before. Also French people made tremendous effort where the whole Paris basically learned English for tourists in the span of 5-10 years.

They don’t lack humour, they are simply not American with outwards display of emotions and ‘fake’ friendliness towards everyone.

Paris is one of the most beautiful and - most importantly - architecturally coherent cities in the world. The vast majority of buildings in the city center were built using the same style in the span of 40-50 years.

Way to have a good time in France? Drop the ‘customer is king!’ attitude, learn 5 French words to ask: Excusez-moi, parlez-vous anglais? Stop being the stereotypical (yes, it works both ways!) American tourists with a t-shirt under your shirt, sandals with white socks asking where the Eiffel Tower is (look around, it’s pretty hard to miss).

I was a teenager, hardly a terrorist. Was with my first true love, Ryanair had a deal going on. Bought the tickets as she loved French.

People were rude as fuck, hopefully things changed. Was over 20 years ago.

Cyberpunkd

People were rude as fuck, hopefully things changed. Was over 20 years ago.
Yes, things have changed since 20 years ago. Disneyland is also much better, but I would recommend one of many other theme parks around Paris instead, starting with Parc Astérix.

Ionian

The fuck you on about, i've said i'm Irish about 100 times?

Ionian

Yes, things have changed since 20 years ago. Disneyland is also much better, but I would recommend one of many other theme parks around Paris instead, starting with Parc Astérix.

That i did want to see as i grew up reading, visit was simply too short, as was money. I was 17-18.

BigBooper

"The culture ministry, which is involved in the process, told AFP the video game sector was rife with anglicisms that could act as “a barrier to understanding” for non-gamers."

Great! I can't wait to tune into my favourit streamers le francis.
I guess I don't understand the need to tell all those non-gamers about esports.

Soodanim

How do they say it?
I always heard it on TV said as "nitch"

Given how seriously France's advisory body for language takes things, I'm not at all surprised by the article.

Ionian Ionian stop being so American you American person, use your native Disney Land Florida instead! Disney Land Dublin has a nice ring to it.

With regards to Parisians, I've heard they are quite no-nonsense with low-effort tourists, and that it's not quite the same elsewhere. I suppose they have to be like that to get through the day. The no-nonsense way is perceived as rudeness. I've never been, though

DanteFox

To add a bit of nuance, French people are cold if they perceive that you are not making an effort to speak the language. If you come up to them on the street and start speaking English, they will pretend not to understand, but if you try to speak a few words of French, they will be nice to you and help you out because you're being respectful of the culture by at least trying.

As Americans it is jarring, because we are the most welcoming country on the planet, and will try to help anyone who asks for directions, regardless of whether they are trying to blend in or not. It's just the way it is, but I think this difference is responsible for Americans thinking that French people hate them, but I don't think it's true, necessarily.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member

Mark Wahlberg Chill GIF

nush

If you come up to them on the street and start speaking English, they will pretend not to understand, but if you try to speak a few words of French, they will be nice to you and help you out because you're being respectful of the culture by at least trying.

That's most nationalities actually, if they see you are trying they'll help.

Ionian

To add a bit of nuance, French people are cold if they perceive that you are not making an effort to speak the language. If you come up to them on the street and start speaking English, they will pretend not to understand, but if you try to speak a few words of French, they will be nice to you and help you out because you're being respectful of the culture by at least trying.
Exactly how my visit went, thankfully my GF was pretty good. Anytime I tried I was simply sneered at, rude fuckers.

I've only been to Paris in France, I hear the south is stunning.

Barcelona is where it's truly at.

Peggies

Gold Member

Couldn't believe it.
Can confirm! Disneyland was cool but it should be in some other country with people who don't scream at you in their funny clown language because they refuse to use the lingua franca like the rest of the world.

6oLglRm.jpg

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned

Paris is pretty shit, I visit every few months because I have to. The bread is fine and if you are lucky, some locals won't be arrogant or grumpy.

However, you still have to be way careful in the metro not to get pickpocketed, you have the tons and tons of Africans trying to scam you or the Arabs being super rude. Paris is an African city now. The children pretending to be gangsta are the worst, shopping is shit since employees all assume you are trying to steal shit, which you might see an actual security guy tossing a guy out for stealing. Everything is expensive and the coffee is mediocre at best.

The bread is amazing though. :)

Last edited:

Ionian

If ever a city is living off past glories, Paris is it.

If you've been any time in the last 5yrs, you'll know what a run down, dirty crap hole it now is at street level.

Went at 17. I'm in my 40's now. I'll never revisit for sure. Even smashed my head off a steel beam in the Eiffel tower.

Disney land rocked though, Space Mountain!

Jennings

Yea the French have been doing this forever. Nothing new here, they're just afraid of losing what they consider to be a core component of their identity, euphony.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
As Americans it is jarring, because we are the most welcoming country on the planet,
donald trump news GIF

Funny Face Reaction GIF

Joking aside, I’ve see customs/passport officers in America refuse to give a pen to sign visa’s before and flip out over little things. Without a welcoming attitude. But then they I’ve see other people I power just be like “hey that’s great you are great”. Jokes about England that were funny and friendly

So what ever.

I like the french. I love certain things they do I really do.

The french want to protect their language for outside anglicisms but use terms like footing and jogging to describe jogging and jogging bottoms.

Also I’ve heard Allez let’s go used.

Which is just saying let’s go let’s go.

It’s too late to change the use of these phrases they are being used.

Also despite what the french claim or say, they love American culture.

The french do have an amazing culture. Plus everyone I’ve met has been super friendly once the ice has been broken but as mentioned above they don’t go out their way like Americans do to be overly friendly doesn’t mean they are not friendly.

But I can see why England and France got into so many fights over things.

The french despite acting like they don’t care about anything actually really care and they care too much and the English despite looking like they care about everything for some things they don’t really care and most of the time respond to Piss taking with even more sillier Piss taking. which would have enraged the french. Starting fights. Rinse and repeat.

But yeah what was I trying to say?

Tldr
French want to protect their language. But I think certain words have crept in.
French people are friendly but not in the way Americans take as friendly. So get painted as rude.

Last edited:
Top Bottom