• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

France bans English gaming tech jargon in push to preserve language purity

Alx

I've only been to Paris in France, I hear the south is stunning..
People in the South may have a more expressive communication, but they’re actually far less welcoming to strangers. While people in the North can be much friendlier but it won’t show.
French people in general are not to be taken for granted, they won’t act as your friend just because you want them to, you’ll have to work for it.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I am glad that in a sea of wrong things with the world the French (and also the English) focus on things like these and spend attention/money on that.

There is no need to be crazy when this is the kind of thing your gov gives attention to.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Can England ban the French?

nush

Can England ban the French?

Yes, but that would mean we'd lose access to the plentiful supply of easy dirty french girls.

nsr.gif

That's fucking crazy and my partner keeps pestering me about going to Paris but I keep hearing about how cold french are to foreigners. Fuck that.
Paris is pretty shit. It smells in most of the places and most of the time you'll feel like you're in an arabic country (which includes the hate for different sexualities & disgusting behaviour towards women in short skirts).

Traffic also sucks. It has some nice places, but most of it is pure trash.

winjer

Gold Member
This is just idiotic.
I bet this law was introduced because old French people felt left out, when they didn't understand new tech terminology.
These English terms are almost universal. And can be recognized by most people in the world, despite speaking different languages.
This will just make it more complicated for French people and foreigners to understand each others, with tech related stuff.

Tams

Paris after dark is like the fucking warriors we went at school years back and our history teacher took us for a night walk through"beautiful paris"...... The metro at night is like thunder dome.
Our history teachers chose Berlin as our main 'night out'. What I saw on the U-Bahn/S-Bahn... 🤣... nothing to do with the quality of the service, if anything it enabled the antics.

I've been on the Paris Metro. Leaving was the best part.

Dr.D00p

Can you imagine the outcry & outrage if a post Brexit UK tried to 'ban' something from the Continent or anywhere else...'Proof the Brits are Xenophobes, racists...etc,etc,blah,blah'

Yet if France does something like this...people defend it.

Two faced, double standards in action.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Can you imagine the outcry & outrage if a post Brexit UK tried to 'ban' something from the Continent or anywhere else...'Proof the Brits are Xenophobes, racists...etc,etc,blah,blah'

Yet if France does something like this...people defend it.

Two faced, double standards in action.
gonna cry tobey maguire GIF

Tbh I don’t care the french are doing it because it will still be called e sports etc by the younger french.

Last edited:
Exactly, met so many French tourists here In Portugal who refuse to use English even if they are fluent at the language! You have to speak to them in French!

True! That’s why their country has so many social issues! They aren’t very welcoming people at all !

Also Paris is not as beautiful as people think! It’s actually depressing! Waiting 5 hours in line to go to the Louvre to later realize you need at least 3 more days to fully visit it all, is the epitome of “why am I wasting my time!”
Also good luck trying to see the Mona Lisa! You’ll see phones in the air.

French like to talk about their joie de vie, well that’s a lie!
Thanks for that. Just watching this now. Saved me couple thousand dollars flying over there lol

That's as far as I'll go when it comes to Paris. I'd rather visit other major cities. Heard enough to be turned off by entering France.

Zeroing

Banned
Americans and French should just kiss and make out
It was the French who helped America to become independent!
France got a revolution because of that!

Heck France even made and gifted a huge statue to Americans - the liberty statue!

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Americans and French should just kiss and make out
France got a revolution because of that!

Heck France even made and gifted a huge statue to Americans - the liberty statue!
Can England watch ?
We’ll be in the corner. Don’t mind us just rummaging for change in our pockets.

english ginger GIF

Dr.D00p

The French couldn't give two shits about America being independent. They just saw it as an opportunity to hurt British interests.

Well, that backfired spectacularly because being free of the American colonies, freed up resources for the British to go and conquer the rest of the World, ensuring the British Empire was the dominant global Superpower for the next 140yrs :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Stupid Shortsighted French, talk about cutting ones nose off to spite your face.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The French couldn't give two shits about America being independent. They just saw it as an opportunity to hurt British interests.

Well, that backfired spectacularly because being free of the American colonies, freed up resources for the British to go and conquer the rest of the World, ensuring the British Empire was the dominant global Superpower for the next 140yrs :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Stupid Shortsighted French, talk about cutting ones nose off to spite your face.

Michael J Fox Marty GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

brendan rodgers motion GIF

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned

And that’s why everyone hates Britain and France - they gave us USA, joking!
Can England watch ?
We’ll be in the corner. Don’t mind us just rummaging for change in our pockets.
No perverts! Go back to your island and stay there! Also joking

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
That's fucking crazy and my partner keeps pestering me about going to Paris but I keep hearing about how cold french are to foreigners. Fuck that.
I can guarantee you, that Paris is still okay, try Marseille that's where the discrimination begins. I was called all kind of slurs there, never happened anywhere else. But yeah for auslanders, France isn't friendly at all. I was there few times, with friends, family etc. Not only they don't speak in English (even when they understand you), it's pretty clear from behavior of them, that for them you are untermench.

Zeroing

Banned
Nothing wrong with trying to protect their culture.
Languages evolve, French is not a dead language!!! If they wanted to protect their culture they would still be speaking in old French!!! Same as any other languages!

Portuguese language has English, Spanish, French and Arabic words and influences but nobody see us trying to protect “our culture”

I dunno all that is stupid!

Last edited:

mitch1971

Gold Member
Had a submachine-gun pulled on me in Paris, to simply check if I had a ticket for the metro. Fucking crazy shit. Of course I had a ticket. French people aren't friendly to non-French people unless there is a benefit. Was only there with my missus for Disney-land.

I dropped a joint in Barcelona when I saw the civil police, they picked it up and handed it back to me.

Couldn't believe it.
Friend of mine went to paris with his SO, and she was immediately prayed upon by a bunch of men in the street. My mate isn't a soft lad and was on the verge of probably getting his head kicked in in retaliation. He said paris was a shit heap, too.

I went on a school trip to France, and a bunch of us were in a small village when two french lads came upto us. We tried to chat for a few minutes, then they suddenly produced flick knifes and started chasing us through the streets.

Ballthyrm

Like protecting an endangered species. France knows it's not important anymore.

I don't see anything wrong with wanting to protect your culture/language.
Trying to police language is a pretty dumb way to go about it.
As for French not being important, well it's stillspoken in 29 countries, so there's that.

Exactly, met so many French tourists here In Portugal who refuse to use English even if they are fluent at the language! You have to speak to them in French!

True! That’s why their country has so many social issues! They aren’t very welcoming people at all !

Also Paris is not as beautiful as people think! It’s actually depressing! Waiting 5 hours in line to go to the Louvre to later realize you need at least 3 more days to fully visit it all, is the epitome of “why am I wasting my time!”
Also good luck trying to see the Mona Lisa! You’ll see phones in the air.

French like to talk about their joie de vie, well that’s a lie!

Like it was said in the thread before about the French not being welcoming people, it's a cultural issue.

Formal Politeness is quite important and can open just as many doors as it closes.
The rudeness stereotype comes from people who can't obey the basic rules of saying, hello, thanks, please, etc

Until you treat me as a human being, I don't see how I should bother doing anything for you.

Last edited:

Ionian

Friend of mine went to Paris with his SO, and she was immediately prayed upon by a bunch of men in the street. My mate isn't a soft lad and was on the verge of probably getting his head kicked in in retaliation. He said Paris was a shit heap, too.

I lived in Barca, and a bunch of us were in a small village when two Spain lads came upto us. We tried to chat for a few minutes, then they suddenly produced flick knifes and started chasing us was very common. They either sweep your legs or sell you fake weed. It's super common if you look not Catalan.

A dude however meet many more good then bad people I adored.

Slapped a gangster. Nice hospital visit there. Ended up knocked out and in hospital.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
France is a country that won the highest number of wars it has ever fought.

Way to have a good time in France? Drop the ‘customer is king!’ attitude, learn 5 French words to ask: Excusez-moi, parlez-vous anglais? Stop being the stereotypical (yes, it works both ways!) American tourists with a t-shirt under your shirt, sandals with white socks asking where the Eiffel Tower is (look around, it’s pretty hard to miss).
Spoken like a true Français!

But relax, mon ami, this is clearly a thread made for shits and giggles!

That's most nationalities actually, if they see you are trying they'll help.
Nah, locals want to test your language skills so they can have a little fun when you inevitably stumble. Always expect Italians to burst out laughing just because of whatever accent you may have.
Protip: always be suspicious of people offering to teach you some words. You may get filmed trying to repeat what you think is “Hello” while you’re actually saying “I love sucking dick”.

I’ll never understand the stubborness of France in these matters. Protecting your language is one thing; another is to make up new words to use in place of words that are literally used all over the world. French video game books always drop the occasional “fun” and “cool” here and there, no need to use octet instead of byte.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Had no issues whatsoever when we went to France. A few Bonjours, Mercis and "ou est la..."s go a long way to convincing people that you're making an effort.

Whenever I go to a non-English speaking country I learn a few phrases just to be polite. I wouldn't like it if people just barked at me in a language I didn't understand, which I think might be what a lot of French people don't like. I might have just been lucky and everyone else is actually speaking perfect French and still getting the cold shoulder, but as I say, they seemed fine to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alx

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
People in the South may have a more expressive communication, but they’re actually far less welcoming to strangers. While people in the North can be much friendlier but it won’t show.
French people in general are not to be taken for granted, they won’t act as your friend just because you want them to, you’ll have to work for it.
Also had no problems in Cannes when I went there.

Zeroing

Banned
Had no issues whatsoever when we went to France. A few Bonjours, Mercis and "ou est la..."s go a long way to convincing people that you're making an effort.

Whenever I go to a non-English speaking country I learn a few phrases just to be polite. I wouldn't like it if people just barked at me in a language I didn't understand, which I think might be what a lot of French people don't like.
I’ve seen french laughing or commenting, when foreigners were trying that type of effort! Yeah I lived there for a few months.

I also took English and French classes since 5th grade in Portugal! The English classes were all about the language, the French classes was the language and the culture like wtf, it was history lessons but in French!

Also when trying to hook up with a French guy the majority will spit on your mouth after kissing you!!!

Not the romantic idea we all learn from movies :(

😆

Kilau

So every French loan word is gonna get removed from English?

If English got rid of every word it borrowed there'd be no language.

What languages are invading english? Should we start calling restaurants 'food houses'?

Gonna make me some Freedom Toast for breakfast!

English should do the same.
Thought it was clear I am referring to the topic, ban English gaming tech jargon. Everyone should do it.

Mattyp

Gold Member
I can guarantee you, that Paris is still okay, try Marseille that's where the discrimination begins. I was called all kind of slurs there, never happened anywhere else. But yeah for auslanders, France isn't friendly at all. I was there few times, with friends, family etc. Not only they don't speak in English (even when they understand you), it's pretty clear from behavior of them, that for them you are untermench.

Paris is an African sub continent now its a literal shithole. I tried to be polite and speak French but still got the cunt attitude so just reverted to full Bogan cockhead and answered anything with shut up up dickhead remember WW2 when they thought I wasn’t bilingual trying to mouth off.

No idea why that shit language was taught in high school, hopefully it’s changed to Spanish or Chinese anything actually useful.

Enjoyed the South of France far more than the north even though I heard worse things, didn’t come across any of them besides the insane road tolls.

It’s alright but our new lease Renault for the 6 months had French plates, and they don’t seem anymore liked elsewhere in Europe. At least the Italians and Greeks stop yelling and start laughing once they realise your Australian down a street to small for the car.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
France has always been protective of their language. Nothing new.
Its not even France it's francophones.
Dudes in Montreal are 1000% more active in term of protecting french, with all their petitions and stuff.
Us french don't really care anymore, all of our youth are braindead ticktock novlang speaking morons, just like everywhere else.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
If paris was a dish it would be a deepfried turd sautéed in goat vomit.

They steal things from other cultures and ruin it.

And The only thing they are good at is surrendering.

Europe fucking hates France.
Especially during eurovision.

Last edited:
Top Bottom