• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

France Welcomes Refugees Despite Paris Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

orochi91

French President Francois Hollande today promised that “France will remain a country of freedom,” defending his decision to honor a commitment to accept migrants and refugees despite Friday’s deadly terrorist attacks in Paris.

“30,000 refugees will be welcomed over the next two years. Our country has the duty to respect this commitment,” explaining that they will undergo vigorous security checks.

Hollande noted that “some people say the tragic events of the last few days have sown doubts in their minds,” but called it a “humanitarian duty” to help those people … but one that will go hand in hand with “our duty to protect our people.”

“We have to reinforce our borders while remaining true to our values,” he said.

Link: http://abcnews.go.com/International/french-president-francois-hollande-welcomes-refugees-paris-attack/story?id=35274658

Bravo, Hallonde, this is welcome news.

Good on France. It's a nice contrast against the clear racism driving the anti-refugee rhetoric in the republican party.

diaspora

Well... yeah. Most if not all of the attackers were European nationals IIRC. Rejecting refugees over the attacks would require him to be dumber than a sack of rocks.

This totally. Hopefully people supporting these idiots will see this and maybe rethink their values.

Come on really?

It's reasonable to expect attacks during the security check period that's all I'm worried about.
I'm sure it'll be "rigorous" like they say but with the way some of the attacks are carried out you can't be sure it'll be a 100% safe process.

What's so special about this? France is a 1st world, civilized, country. Is just expected.

Have the attack took place in the US, even I would be running for the border.

orochi91

What's so special about this? France is a 1st world, civilized, country. Is just expected.

Have the attack took place in the US, even I would be running for the border.

A fair bit of people were scapegoating refugees, and you have countries closing borders to refugees and governors in the US opposing the idea of having refugees in their states.

France is showing that a country should not give in to such fear-mongering.

Chariot

One of the attackers did pose as a refugee, just saying it is possible they would do it again. And 30k in 2 years is a LOT. The US is doing 10k over the next 5?
Did you see the german numbers? France isn't small, they can take that number easily. Still, great respect to make that statement right now. Strong message.

SSPssp

This is good news! Also, security checks are important, but 30,000 shouldn't be difficult to investigate properly.

Violet_0

Banned
Like, too much or not enough?

I think they can take in a lot more, but this is a good start.

good for France and all but I'm pretty sure there are some German cities that have already taken in more refugees than the French government plans to for the next two years

So it looks like the House GOP in the US are planning to push a bill that only makes it a stricter vetting process than outright denial of all refugees.

Maybe they are toning the language down a bit?

edit: nevermind, it's still basically a pause in the program.

Prez

This totally. Hopefully people supporting these idiots will see this story and maybe rethink their values.

There are a lot of people here in Belgium who link the attacks to the refugees. The vast majority of those people are selfish, have little empathy and lack logical thinking skills. They just can't be persuaded.

Hari Seldon

Yeah no i'm not voting for any politician that says to open the flood gates. Making the vetting process stricter is fine by me.

There are a lot of people here in Belgium who link the attacks to the refugees. The vast majority of those people are selfish, have little empathy and lack logical reasoning skills. They just can't be persuaded.

One of our presidential candidates said we should vet the refugees so that we only allow Christians. It's not much better here.

marrec

Banned
So it looks like the House GOP in the US are planning to push a bill that only makes it a stricter vetting process than outright denial of all refugees.

Maybe they are toning the language down a bit?

edit: nevermind, it's still basically a pause in the program.

Besides, our vetting process in the US is already far stricter than anything in the EU.

Dingens

One of the attackers did pose as a refugee, just saying it is possible they would do it again. And 30k in 2 years is a LOT. The US is doing 10k over the next 5?

nah, you Americans just don't realize how vast and huge France really is. Noboby is going t notice those 30k between the 320 something million french citizens...
or was that the US? I always get those countries confused

in case you haven't noticed, the US is hardly a role model... it's rather the opposite

Griss

Accepting refugees? Good.
Rigorous security checks? Good.
30,000 people? Definitely manageable.

Well done Hollande.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom