• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

France Welcomes Refugees Despite Paris Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope they don't shove them all into one mega Ghetto like they did with North Africans workers during reconstruction

best spread them out

Dishwalla

Banned
Kind of puts things in perspective when half of America isn't willing to take in refugees yet a country that was attacked not even a week ago is.

Griss

I think most French and Europeans would be firmly behind this.

After all, what people are concerned about is the following:
Letting everyone in without proper security, leading to ISIS terrorists getting into Europe / the country in question, AND
Letting too many refugees in at one time, leading to questions of crime, poverty, unemployment, and possibly non-integrated ghettos where anti-European values and extremism might flourish. And in the case where you've got 1,500,000 people potentially coming into Europe, you worry about the cultural and demographic effect on your country if it wasn't managed properly.

And this plan answers all of that. And if France takes these 30,000 and it works out then take more.

I will say that with these people being as poor and desperate as they are doing background checks will be an absolute nightmare. The educated Syrians who have documentation will be very well placed to be assigned asylum status but your average refugee will suffer a nightmare trying to prove who they are. I'm not sure that can be avoided.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
One of the attackers did pose as a refugee, just saying it is possible they would do it again. And 30k in 2 years is a LOT. The US is doing 10k over the next 5?

Here in Sweden we're currently doing about 10K a WEEK, sometimes even more (and no, we can't handle it). France should do more (with all due respect to what has just happened there), the US should do more, the UK should do more, etc. Just about everyone except Sweden and Germany should be doing more than they are.

But yeah, good that they're not closing up completely.

G.O.O.

30k isn't much, especially compared to Germany

however

refugees tend to avoid France. It's just not as good as Germany or UK to begin a new life. Also the far right is strong here.

Good on those with power in the French government to not be swayed by fear and terrorism. I wish my own government had that kind of fortitude.

Tenebrous

30,000 in the next two years? isn't Germany like taking in a million of refugees?

The German population has been falling (steadily) for like 14 years straight, while France has been climbing up at a fairly standard pace. Germany "need" the refugees.

Anyway, awesome from France.

winjet81

Anti-refugee rhetoric is exactly what ISIS wants the West to lean toward.

U.S. isolationists are following hook, line and sinker.

Good on France and any other country that isn't buying into this refugee fear mongering.

How is it a mistake? They should just leave them to die in Syria?

I'd prefer an international effort to establish a safe haven in a good location. Some place that's specific to their needs that can be of such a high standard of quality that its something that be advertised and praised as a triumph.

But maybe that's wishful thinking.

That is impressive. To think they are risking public approval to stick to their policy. Bravo. I would not have blamed them if they cited public feedback in reversing their policy.

RiZ III

How are Europeans so much more rational than Americans and our politicians? Is it just that Hollande is from a very progressive party or something?

I'd prefer an international effort to establish a safe haven in a good location. Some place that's specific to their needs that can be of such a high standard of quality that its something that be advertised and praised as a triumph.

But maybe that's wishful thinking.

But to be clear, you don't want these "safe havens" anywhere near you?

I am not fully up to speed on the refugee situation. But are these refugees going to Asian countries as well? Malaysia, Indonesia, Bangladesh, Pakistan and other middle eastern countries have Muslim population and should be far more welcoming to them.

FZZ

Banned
It's reasonable to expect attacks during the security check period that's all I'm worried about.
I'm sure it'll be "rigorous" like they say but with the way some of the attacks are carried out you can't be sure it'll be a 100% safe process.

See below

Well... yeah. Most if not all of the attackers were European nationals IIRC. Rejecting refugees over the attacks would require him to be dumber than a sack of rocks.

Cat

Good, but they obviously need tougher vetting, It was literally the worst nightmare coming true.

What was literally the worst nightmare coming true? None of the terrorists involved in these attacks were Syrian refugees, so how would being tougher vetting on Syrian refugees made any difference?

Mesousa

Banned
I am not fully up to speed on the refugee situation. But are these refugees going to Asian countries as well? Malaysia, Indonesia, Bangladesh, Pakistan and other middle eastern countries have Muslim population and should be far more welcoming to them.

Do those Asian countries give nice Bennies?

Tenebrous

Google says Germany's population is growing.

Says its steadily fallen for 10 years on mine, although it ends in 2013. No doubt the migrants/refugees have helped steady the ship and restarted the ascent.

Whatever the case, you gotta be proud of Germany & France in these times.

orochi91

Google says Germany's population is growing.

Due to immigration.

Native population ain't breeding enough, hence the need to inject a massive amounts of immigrants/refugees to prop things up.

It's a great PR boost as well, because their need for maintaining population levels allowed them to take in quite a bit of refugees.

AmyS

AeJKhYj.jpg

Violet_0

Banned

SE Asia has their own refugee crisis at the moment, and they are handling it poorly. A sizable number of the refugees in Europe are from Pakistan and Bangladesh, actually, I suppose they are mostly economic migrants. Asia is far less accessible than Europe for most refugees (many of them travel on foot) and many of the countries you listed are honestly much less desirable to live in than European countries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom