• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frank Grimes returns in the Simpsons 600th episode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stop laughing, you imbicile.

DyJjsAs.png

<3

Dishwalla

Banned
omfg that's from you only move twice boy is my face red

What is, the bucket scene you posted? Because that is from Homer's Enemy, you were right. Homer is wearing a watch(something he doesn't normally wear) from the previous 513 exchange. "Oh, a five thirteen!".

After Homer finishes dumping the water over the console it cuts to Grimes looking through the window horrified.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I may watch this but then again I may not since I stopped after season 9.

PSqueak

Banned
Oh good it's just a treehouse of horror. Thought they were just somehow bringing him back to life. Hated the episode with his son.

The recent treehouses have been kinda good to me so I look forward to this episode

Really? i think that's one of my fave Sideshow Bob episodes, the only thing i hate about that episode is that the Sideshow Bob episode after it undid his heel face turn, again.

What is, the bucket scene you posted? Because that is from Homer's Enemy, you were right. Homer is wearing a watch(something he doesn't normally wear) from the previous 513 exchange. "Oh, a five thirteen!".

After Homer finishes dumping the water over the console it cuts to Grimes looking through the window horrified.

That's what I THOUGHT!!

edit: sorry I misread a tweet from my friend

Stitch

Gold Member
In 700 they can bring back Bleeding Gums Murphy and in 800 they can bring back Maude Flanders.

Joni

It's worth noting that Dan Castellaneta used to occasionally voice Troy McClure when they needed him for a bit part whenever Hartman wasn't available for recording. Despite there actually being precedent for McClure being voiced by somebody else, that they've still kept all of Hartman's characters retired says a lot about how sincere they are about not reversing course on it.

Zapp brannigan was originally going to be voiced by hartman, and his voice is clearly trying to be hartman. If needed, billy west could voice those characters. I hope he never does, though.

Yeah, there is enough talent around to do so, but they are the same people that would never consider doing it.

In 700 they can bring back Bleeding Gums Murphy and in 800 they can bring back Maude Flanders.

Done and done. Maude has appeared quite a lot even. She even appeared this year, in April's Fland Canyon.

vypek

Really? i think that's one of my fave Sideshow Bob episodes, the only thing i hate about that episode is that the Sideshow Bob episode after it undid his heel face turn, again.
I enjoy a ton of Simpsons episodes and even a few in the modern era but the one with his son just didn't work for me at all. Just didn't find it too entertaining.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Having sat down in the last year and watched the first 20 seasons start to back, I finally truly understand how things went wrong. It's really striking just how uninteresting and boring the plots become as the characters are turned into one note jokes. Damn shame.

RPGCrazied

Don't get me wrong, I love the Simpsons, but it really is time to just end it and let it go.

And why won't they release anymore of the later seasons on DVD or bluray?

Stitch

Gold Member
Done and done. Maude has appeared quite a lot even. She even appeared this year, in April's Fland Canyon.

Uhhh oh well... my next suggestion was Shary Bobbins but it looks like they already kinda brought her back too...

Richie

Having sat down in the last year and watched the first 20 seasons start to back, I finally truly understand how things went wrong. It's really striking just how uninteresting and boring the plots become as the characters are turned into one note jokes. Damn shame.

Holy hell, that's some resistance, man. Starting from Season 11 or so, I'd go for specific episodes with good reception, because otherwise you expose yourself to some pretty shaky territory...

Mike Amato's excellent Me Blog Write Good tried to review all the episodes in the series and he stopped at Season 20, unable to take anymore. In a showcase of what's either admirable dedication or worrying masochism, he returned months later to tackle Season 21, and unable to find a single good thing about that season's finale, he ended the retrospective for good.

So what would you guys say is the simpsons in its prime season wise?

1 to 8

Or 1 to 11

Personally, prime to me would be 2 to 8, with 1 and 9 still very much worth watching in their entirety. After that point there's still very enjoyable episodes, but you have to be much, much more selective with what you watch.

Personally, prime to me would be 2 to 8, with 1 and 9 still very much worth watching in their entirety. After that point there's still very enjoyable episodes, but you have to be much, much more selective with what you watch.

Season 1 is particularly interesting to rewatch mainly to see the development of the show. The artwork, the voices, the characterizations are all still in the process of being worked out. Things started shaping up pretty quickly into Season 2, and it's such a far cry from the artificial, sterile look of modern HD Simpsons.

You can still see gems like this:

qbrz93K.png

Nairume

Banned
Zapp brannigan was originally going to be voiced by hartman, and his voice is clearly trying to be hartman. If needed, billy west could voice those characters.

I hope he never does, though.
It's him doing a Hartman-esque voice, but there's still enough of West in there to where I don't think it really suggests he could fully do an actual Hartman impression.

But, yeah, West would almost certainly refuse to do it out of respect for him.

Magilla

Banned
So we are saying the Grimes episode is top tier? What's next? A write-up on the meta commentary of The Principal and the Pauper? Shit...

PSqueak

Banned
So we are saying the Grimes episode is top tier? What's next? A write-up on the meta commentary of The Principal and the Pauper? Shit...

opinion on if the original grimes episode was good or bad has always be 50/50, i dunno why it surprises you that some people on this thread think it's good.

Zubz

Banned
I can give the show a pass on this for making this a Treehouse of Horror episode, but aren't they doing 100% canon Kang & Kodos episodes now? That's sacrilegious.

And besides, I did see that ToH episode with the Tracey Ulliman-era Simpsons as ghosts. It was just 4.5 minutes of rushed story and .5 minutes of highly-marketable Simpsons parodies of characters from shows that started a decade after the show should've stopped. And South Park. Either way, it had no sustenance and only served to litter my Facebook feed with that end bit for, like, 2 months.

I expect this to just be a rehash of that. Right down to that stupid final 30 seconds.

Paracelsus

The console gag was recycled by the way, from Bart on the Road, and the original was much better, what he did was stupid but meant something in the big picture.

Oh I rember him, the self made man. I think I stopped Simpsons around that season and am kinda shocked to see the show is still on. Not coming back for this guy.

I haven't watched this show in about 20 years, is it still funny?

It's a different show. It's your above-average animated sitcom, versus the pioneer and leading comedic entity it was in it's heyday. Bob's Burgers is the current king of the animated sitcom imo. The quality of the show isn't what it was, but it's not any worse than the average half hour of comedy currently on television if not a little better. GAF greatly exaggerates the state of the show today. Truth be told, I'd be greatly saddened if they suddenly canceled the it, since it would leave a huge hole behind only to be filled by some generic Mcfarlane-level trash knockoff.

gabbo

It's a different show. It's your above-average animated sitcom, versus the pioneer and leading comedic entity it was in it's heyday. Bob's Burgers is the current king of the animated sitcom imo. The quality of the show isn't what it was, but it's not any worse than the average half hour of comedy currently on television if not a little better. GAF greatly exaggerates the state of the show today. Truth be told, I'd be greatly saddened if they suddenly canceled the it, since it would leave a huge hole behind only to be filled by some generic Mcfarlane-level trash knockoff.

Given the low bar set by just about every other sitcom, animated or not, this is not high praise. The show is a ghost of its former self, and will likely never see the 1-8+9ish run it had.
Then again, I do generally agree with your final comment. Family Guy was at its best taking The Simpsons setup and turning it on its head. And then it was brought back.

Zubz

Banned
You can still see gems like this.

Side-note, I've been rewatching select episodes of the show, and found a single shot where Mayor Quimby was black, too. It wouldn't be too weird early on, but it was notable because they were in S7.

I don't have a screen, but IIRC, it's in Bart the Fink at Krusty's funeral.

kess

Season 1 is particularly interesting to rewatch mainly to see the development of the show. The artwork, the voices, the characterizations are all still in the process of being worked out. Things started shaping up pretty quickly into Season 2, and it's such a far cry from the artificial, sterile look of modern HD Simpsons.

You can still see gems like this:

qbrz93K.png

Season 1 has some down points, but the humor is fresh, well grounded, and it has an edge. There's a lot of surprises to be had in the early episodes. These moments are far and few between after Season 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom