• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freddie Gray case: Charges against three remaining officers dropped - WOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this in the other thread, but there really needs to be some sort of penalty against the system. Freddie Gray's death was ruled a homicide, which means someone caused his death. In cases where no officer can be successfully prosecuted, then it should automatically sanction the chief of police.

That'll solve the problem of missing vehicle/body camera footage real quick.

Kreed

...and people seriously still question BLM

If only Freddie Gray had been wearing a suit, black on black crime was abolished, and all hip hop music was performed by Taylor Swift. Then Freddie Gray's magical negro powers would have activated, making his body impervious to harm and allowing him to survive in the back of the van.

Guevara

I posted this in the other thread, but there really needs to be some sort of penalty against the system. Freddie Gray's death was ruled a homicide, which means someone caused his death. In cases where no officer can be successfully prosecuted, then it should automatically sanction the chief of police.

Not that it's appropriate, but the city did pay $6.4 million to settle civil claims.

Edit: and I realize people wanted to see someone go to jail over this

joe2187

Banned
So how do these police trials work?

Do the jurors actually believe their verdict? or is it more that their pressured by the police, judges, city officials and whatnot to give them a pass?

because I believe it's the latter.

Scares the ever loving shit out of people. They've gotta shock the system man. This shit is fucked up.
The only way it would scare anyone of note is if you go after Government buildings or something like that. No one that runs the city of Baltimore gives a shit if you go flip over some random persons car or light a random building on fire.

Not that it's appropriate, but the city did pay $6.4 million to settle civil claims.

That's something, but I don't think it'll really solve the problem at hand unless that money came directly from the officers' pensions.

So how do these police trials work?

Do the jurors actually believe their verdict? or is it more that their pressured by the police, judges, city officials and whatnot to give them a pass?

because I believe it's the latter.

There was no jury. Most of the officers opted for a judge trial.

Ms.Galaxy

What does breaking solve though?

You've got to crack a few eggs to make an omelette. Even the civil rights movement has riots, the point of which was because their voices were not being heard. While MLK didn't endorse rioting, he understood their place and reasoning. So far, BLM got the attention it needs, but the voices of the right are doing all it can to censor and twist. Last night, in the DNC, the mothers of black American came out to ask for help on stage, and Fox News did everything to make sure you didn't see it, and later retweeted someone saying that "the theme of the DNC is compassion for criminals". Their intentions are blunt at this point, there is no fair and balance.

Look, someone is responsible for this. Obviously. His death was caused by something. Everyone knows that. But everyone needs to take their opinion out of this when talking about the legal process here. Mosby should have NEVER charged what she did. I've been involved in the legal system for the past 20 years, involved with thousands of criminal cases. There was no way that she was going to be able to win this. Many people don't understand the difference between murder and manslaughter, let alone what a homicide means. The legal system is there to make sure that people don't go to prison without a trial. Well, there was a trial. The facts were laid out, and the prosecutions case was garbage. There was no evidence that these cops killed Gray. Like I said, take emotions out of it if you can. Look at it from the perspective of an attorney if you can. People have a right to be hurt, to be upset about this. I am. A man died for no reason, which should have never happened. If you want to blame anybody, blame the Baltimore City prosecutors and Mosby, who screwed this up from the start.

So in the past week, an innocent, unarmed, foreign elderly brown man is paralyzed by a cop who's let off the hook, and now this. And not a single involved officer will lose their jobs over any of these incidents.

I honestly don't know what to say anymore. If you're a cop, you can pretty much do anything you want without any consequence. People are dying at the hands of police and virtually none of them are held accountable for their actions. Yet when there is a movement calling for change, they're the supposed terrorist or hate group? Even worse, people actually believe this.

We all want communities to come together, yet police aren't willing to say that maybe they should start punishing officers who break the law by killing those they've sworn to protect. The Blue Wall of Silence needs to be broken down before any real change can start to take place.

Kyzer

Banned
So..he just magically died?

Look, someone is responsible for this. Obviously. His death was caused by something. Everyone knows that. But everyone needs to take their opinion out of this when talking about the legal process here. Mosby should have NEVER charged what she did. I've been involved in the legal system for the past 20 years, involved with thousands of criminal cases. There was no way that she was going to be able to win this. Many people don't understand the difference between murder and manslaughter, let alone what a homicide means. The legal system is there to make sure that people don't go to prison without a trial. Well, there was a trial. The facts were laid out, and the prosecutions case was garbage. There was no evidence that these cops killed Gray. Like I said, take emotions out of it if you can. Look at it from the perspective of an attorney if you can. People have a right to be hurt, to be upset about this. I am. A man died for no reason, which should have never happened. If you want to blame anybody, blame the Baltimore City prosecutors and Mosby, who screwed this up from the start.

So is there any chance of another trial under a different charge?

Mesousa

Banned
You've got to crack a few eggs to make an omelette. Even the civil rights movement has riots, the point of which was because their voices were not being heard. While MLK didn't endorse rioting, he understood their place and reasoning.

Oh I definitely can see why people would riot, but I don't see it as an effective tactic to get anything done.

All the riots and unrest have not changed anything. Areas are still economically depressed, people are still disenfranchised.

Maybe folks should try a different tactic?

Two of the three officers who had their charges dropped today weren't white.

It's hard enough to convict a cop blatantly killing someone on camera in this country, trying to get them with no smoking gun video evidence is probably impossible.

And?

The race doesn't matter. They belong in prison.

MIMIC

Banned
I want to say that it's these ridiculous charges that are being brought. Everyone wants to hand down the most serious charges against these guys, hoping to prove them later (without the evidence). Just like with Trayvon Martin. The charge was too high.

Charge these criminals with things you can prove or else they will walk.

EDIT: Although I don't see how you can get off on involuntary manslaughter in this case. Seems like the perfect fit for what happened. There was criminal negligence written all over this,

Violater

Oh I definitely can see why people would riot, but I don't see it as an effective tactic to get anything done.

All the riots and unrest have not changed anything. Areas are still economically depressed, people are still disenfranchised.

People get arrested and abused even when there is a peaceful protest, so what would you suggest they do?

There was no jury. Most of the officers opted for a judge trial.

People are making this out to be something nefarious. It is their right to request a bench trial. Just as it is yours and mine. One of the officers had a jury trial. A jury that didn't convict him. People are angry, but the legal system is not to blame here.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
If a fairly reasonable site like this has so many people advocating violence, this probably isn't going to end very well.

I talk about revolution and ending capitalism all the time here. :) But I think most people are still too comfortable in it or can't possibly imagine America working any differently than it does now, with this horrific dystopian racist bullshit.

TalonJH

At this point every case seems like a Madlib but the last line is always he same.

A Black person made the mistake of thinking they could ___________.
The officer ______ the Black person. The officer received _____ weeks of paid leave.
Everyone said "wait for all the facts". People scrubbed the Black person's Facebook for pictures of them __________ to prove that "they were no angel". Officer was acquitted.

People are angry, but the legal system is not to blame here.

Then why has the legal system so rarely convicted a law enforcement officer for a crime? Especially ones where a citizen died.

What is the best outcome here? A man died. The officers put him in a van and he died. It was ruled a homicide.

But that's no one's responsibility? Explain it to me.

EDIT: Ah, I see that was reference to something else.

Rpgmonkey

Maybe Mosby's case really was that bad (honestly even I can understand the argument that the charges were too heavily and broadly applied), but man it's weird that a dude ends up dead under their watch and it feels like no one was responsible. :/

Hopefully any protests here can be kept safe for everyone involved.

For what it's worth the chief at the time of this incident was already kicked out. His replacement has been for the most part much better, he's shown more willingness to interact with outside groups and departments to improve things, and is pretty good at advocating for changes in laws and policies that can bring in better officers and make interactions with them safer.

Clearly this is gonna be a long ride to where things should be however.

Mesousa

Banned
People get arrested and abused even when there is a peaceful protest, so what would you suggest they do?

Maybe protesting isn't the right way to go anymore?

They are.

It's not working.

and Rioting has never shown itself to work. If I don't think black people are worth anything, a bunch of people burning down a liquor store(in their neighborhood, owned by a foreigner most likely) isn't going to make me change my mind. It just seems like a waste of effort.

I talk about revolution and ending capitalism all the time here. :) But I think most people are still too comfortable in it or can't possibly imagine America working any differently than it does now, with this horrific dystopian racist bullshit.

Of course people are comfortable. You can look at a thread about creating actual change, and compare it to a thread about Kanye/Swift or some other pop figure and the difference in passion is clearly measurable.

If I can always medicate myself with the life of a singer, or an athlete, I never truly feel in the struggle with oppressed even if I am a part of that group or feel "anger" when something happens. Technology makes it very easy to simply tune yourself out of it.

Atenhaus

Sounds like the prosecutor overreached on the charges and then got fucked in court. Could've gone for a manslaughter charge that would've stuck and put these assholes away for a few years.

July 2016 is the gift that never stops giving. Given the tensions, and the fact that this is the hottest summer in decades, I fully expect people to be out of their houses in protest for a while.

alternade

Baltimore should riot. Break all the shit you want.

I'm hoping no one gets hurt though.

But they need to go to white neighborhoods and burn it down. I know that sounds horrible and I'm not advocating for violence against human lives but literally the only time white america gives a shit is when it hits their pocketbook and they are faced with the consequences of what this system has done to us. When we riot in our own communities its what they expect and it "look at the monkeys messing up the zoo"

Condom

If a fairly reasonable site like this has so many people advocating violence, this probably isn't going to end very well.
Remember that violence is already being used by the state here.

To change things when it comes to matters like accountability you at least need the threat of violence. Otherwise there is zero reason to change the status quo for those in charge.

And here I'm not saying you should attack liquor stores or whatever, you should target the state. Make it impossible for them to function. Don't even need violence for that, sit ins work as well.

Velcro Fly

At this point every case seems like a Madlib but the last line is always he same.

A Black person made the mistake of thinking they could ___________.
The officer ______ the Black person. The officer received _____ weeks of paid leave.
Everyone said "wait for all the facts". People scrubbed the Black person's Facebook for pictures of them __________ to prove that "they were no angel". Officer was acquitted.

you forgot to put in the part where the local community was demonized because one or two people were seen doing _______ during protests for justice.

jet1911

So the van did it then?

He obviously did this himself. Come one man, you should know that black people just love to break their neck for fun...

750x422

Look at that happpy piece of shit.

Maybe protesting isn't the right way to go anymore?

People aren't only protesting in response to this you know? There's a lot of meeting with legislators. There's a lot of going on the news. There's a lot of voting (or at least attempting to vote in the face of a lot of voting restriction bs). So black people are doing a lot in the face of this and nothing is changing.

and Rioting has never shown itself to work.

50s and 60s would disagree with this. And if we're going to go outside the limited scope of the Civil Rights movement, there are plenty of other examples of causes where rioting or violent protest actually pushed stuff forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom