• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freddie Gray case: Charges against three remaining officers dropped - WOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

molnizzle

Good article on why it was never likely they were going to be convicted of the crimes as charged
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...in_convictions_in_the_freddie_gray_cases.html

The district attorney rushed to prosecute after a quick internal investigation instead of using the grand jury system. Which allows more time for evidence to be gathered, witnesses to be gathered, defendants to turn, and a better sense of what charges are likely to hold up. The officers could and would have been convicted of lesser crimes, but once you are tried for the higher crimes you cannot be tried for the same crime under a lesser charge in criminal cases. Civil cases against the officers can still continue, although likely the city will settle out of court with the family.

That was probably the biggest mistake in the entire prosecution and is likely to cause the DA, Marilyn Mosby, her career.

Which is pretty ironic - mistakes by the six officers result in a man's death. Mistake by the DA results in all six doing zero jail time.

"Mistakes," you say.

Mosby was most likely rushed - or was rushed - into filing the charges because of the ongoing riots at the time. The city certainly wanted to do something - anything - to stop it, even if it meant filing charges that they didn't know they had evidence for yet. I wonder if the results we're seeing now would be different had the riots not happened... kind of darkly ironic, this.

Sianos

Crossposting my thoughts from PoliGAF:

"With regards to Freddie Gray, it struck me as absolutely absurd that people could possibly believe that this random guy who was just standing around - until the police spooked him with one of their dehumanizing stares, as the police calls them - committed suicide by bashing his head against the walls of the van to die a martyr.

Until I remember that many people sadly see out-groups as hive minds. I guess this is the subconscious extension of the "black leaders" rhetoric.

Let me just say from experience that it takes quite a lot of willpower to kill yourself or even just severely injure yourself by bashing your head into something. More than I possessed as a child. Your body is designed towards self-preservation, and it takes an extreme amount of mental trauma to override that self-preservation instinct. Beyond self-loathing, beyond a desire to punish one's self, beyond fear of an arrest.

Those trying to portray Freddie Gray's death as a suicide are incorrect and demonstrating their own lack of perspective in the process."

That's about the nicest I can say about those trying to present Freddie Gray's death as a suicide. This is another injustice that will go unpunished, and it disgusts me.

Anyone see that trump supporter scotty nell Hughes on cnn this morning during Brooke Baldwins show?

Her whole take on the Freddie gray case was that if the actions of those officers were the cause of grays death, the cops would have been found guilty.

Wtf.gif

What lesson am I supposed to take from these cases? Don't let a black man into your car or else they'll kill themselves?

Remember this? Guy shot himself in the head in the back of a car while handcuffed after being searched twice for weapons. Black men really like killing themselves in impressive fashion in police cars.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/08/21...t-himself-while-cuffed-in-back-of-police-car/

2Zjihpj.png

and Rioting has never shown itself to work.

The Stamp Act Riots of 1765
The Russian Revolution
The First Intifada
Paris 1968
Stonewall
The Dorr Rebellion
Kent State

And that's excluding the U.S.' history of anti-black race riots which have had more impact on domestic policy than most of our wars.

Zubz

Banned
Fuck this. What's it going to take to finally get one of these killer cops even the slightest bit of karma?

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
As I recall, at least part of this is because city prosecutors fucked up and over-reached.

(obviously that's not the only issue!)

At this point I feel Prosecutors are over reaching on purpose since it allows them to say "look we tried" when they never wanted to get a conviction to begin with. One of the few times a conviction occured was in NYC for when the officer shot the man in the stairwell and performed no CPR as he watched him die. The prosecutor then immediately wrote the judge after the conviction asking that the officer be given 10 years of probation instead of jail time and the judge gave it the officer. If the corruption runs that deep in a liberal city like NYC imagine it elsewhere. Its literally that complex. Its often overlooked but the prosecutors involved in these cases are accomplishes after the fact when it comes to maintaining the blue shield.

History has shown that the situations like this usually require the federal government to intervene because the discrimination is to far reaching on the state and local level for any change to potentially occur. The best case scenario in my opinion for officers to be both convicted and serve any jail time is if the Federal Government intervened and prosecuted them for violating civil rights of the victims and/or some sort of manslaughter.

Not

Banned
Is this the case where that awesome DA made it seem like the cops were actually going to be prosecuted for once?

Because if so, dammit. Fuck. I'm depressed.

Marilyn Mosby. Yup. Fuck the system. If this was a white person there'd be outrage and empathy.

We have to say Black Lives Matter for a reason, people.

At this point I feel Prosecutors are over reaching on purpose since it allows them to say "look we tried" when they never wanted to get a conviction to begin with. One of the few times a conviction occured was in NYC for when the officer shot the man in the stairwell and performed no CPR as he watched him die. The prosecutor then immediately wrote the judge after the conviction asking that the officer be given 10 years of probation instead of jail time and the judge gave it the officer. If the corruption runs that deep in a liberal city like NYC imagine it elsewhere. Its literally that complex. Its often overlooked but the prosecutors involved in these cases are accomplishes after the fact when it comes to maintaining the blue shield.

History has shown that the situations like this usually require the federal government to intervene because the discrimination is to far reaching on the state and local level for any change to potentially occur. The best case scenario in my opinion for officers to be both convicted and serve any jail time is if the Federal Government intervened and prosecuted them for violating civil rights of the victims and/or some sort of manslaughter.

The Feds are in on it too.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Does anyone have a link to the original neogaf thread pn freddie gray? Curious to see how many guessed the cops would get off. I predict a high number.

Broseybrose

What lesson am I supposed to take from these cases? Don't let a black man into your car or else they'll kill themselves?

Remember this? Guy shot himself in the head in the back of a car while handcuffed after being searched twice for weapons. Black men really like killing themselves in impressive fashion in police cars.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/08/21...t-himself-while-cuffed-in-back-of-police-car/

2Zjihpj.png
This really says it all. Its as ridiculous that we are expected to believe this, as it is that we are supposed to accept the fact that none of the police officers involved are responsible for the HOMICIDE of Gray.

And that 5.6 million that went to the family? That is so much taxpayer money, why would the city pay it if they were not responsible? I'm glad the family got the money but it doesn't bring the man back to his family!

Justice in America is just so convoluted and far too rarely JUST. Police accountability is the most pressing domestic issue that I can think of. It causes so much outrage and irreparable damage to communities and families of all colors.

Strike

PldVw.gif

This is just going to keep happening just like it has for so long. This is why people protest. This is why communities burn. At least now these kind of incidents are getting more widespread attention.

bman94

Funny how people who don't understand Black Lives Matter are silent. If "All Lives Mattered" then you would be just as angry at this outcome as Black Lives Matter.

Monocle

To be fair, blue lives derba herdleberp stahp resisting their lives on the line every single God US the bley.

BokehKing

Banned
Was these cases being dropped discussed at all last night at the DNC, or do people not um...what's the word I'm looking for when you go off script?

Anyway, should have been, this is the biggest political spot light for it.

Thorgal

The only way it would scare anyone of note is if you go after Government buildings or something like that. No one that runs the city of Baltimore gives a shit if you go flip over some random persons car or light a random building on fire.

I do agree with this.

Riot if you must, be angry for this injustice, but instead of fucking up a random dudes car or a store, point that anger at where it needs to be pointed at.

I posted this in the other thread, but there really needs to be some sort of penalty against the system. Freddie Gray's death was ruled a homicide, which means someone caused his death. In cases where no officer can be successfully prosecuted, then it should automatically sanction the chief of police.

That'll solve the problem of missing vehicle/body camera footage real quick.

They called his death a homicide. I don't understand this outcome.

It was a homicide. And it sure as hell wasn't justifiable. Yet... no convictions for anyone.

Freddie Gray death ruled a homicide.

Everyone who had anything to do with his severed spinal cord and subsequent death will NOT be held accountable.

Typical 'Murica.

I just don't understand. His death was ruled a homicide. By definition, that means that another human was responsible for killing him. He was alive and well when he got into the van. So... one of officers in that van is responsible for his death. Or all of them.

How can charges by dropped now? If this is a homicide, are they trying to say that an invisible phantom ghost snuck into the van and killed him without the officers realizing? This makes no sense.

I'm as upset about this outcome as all of you are, but we need to clear up the definition of homicide. It doesn't necessarily mean murder. It just means someone else killed him which can range from justified to self defense to manslaughter to accident. It just means one person killed someone else. That's it.

Basically, this:

I saw your edit, but I still wanted to reply to this. An ME ruling a death a homicide is simply stating that the death was caused (most likely) by something another person did. This does not imply malice, or intent. That's the burden of the state to prove,which they could not do. I mean shit. Mosby charged murder. The legal definition of murder is the premeditated killing of another. Are you, as a member of the jury or a judge, going to believe that on the day this happened, these officers woke up and said "you know what? I'm going to find Freddy Gray today and kill him." That is murder.

State sanctioned murder by design.

I just heard about this today. Brought me back to the cold cruelty of reality after I allowed myself to be injected with the President's hopium last night.

Never again.

Good article on why it was never likely they were going to be convicted of the crimes as charged
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...in_convictions_in_the_freddie_gray_cases.html

The district attorney rushed to prosecute after a quick internal investigation instead of using the grand jury system. Which allows more time for evidence to be gathered, witnesses to be gathered, defendants to turn, and a better sense of what charges are likely to hold up. The officers could and would have been convicted of lesser crimes, but once you are tried for the higher crimes you cannot be tried for the same crime under a lesser charge in criminal cases. Civil cases against the officers can still continue, although likely the city will settle out of court with the family.

That was probably the biggest mistake in the entire prosecution and is likely to cause the DA, Marilyn Mosby, her career.

Which is pretty ironic - mistakes by the six officers result in a man's death. Mistake by the DA results in all six doing zero jail time.

What lesser crimes would find these cops guilty? They straight up murdered someone and got a way with it. The charges that were placed on them were far too low to beginning with, and now we have people saying that the DA should have went even lower???

This is insanity. If anyone should be investigated and sued it should be the judge and not the DA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom