• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Wars |OT| Vita's imprisonment for million years

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Can anyone give me hints for the third part of the "COD 8 exam"? It's really frustrating to beat the first 2 parts, losing at the third and doing everything from the beginning.
What are the best weapons, items, tactics, commands, comrades etc for it? How to deal with
chains?

Several tips
1. Weapon: Your strongest gun and Strongest melee, preferably small sword with high attack, since you need to use it to sever the box. I use Hawkshadow+ with 785 attack and Barbara with 800 attack
2. Item: Adrenaline, First Aid, Flash bang, Ammo pack. Flash bang can be used to stun the chain for short time
3. Tactics: Prioritize survival and spread
4. Comrades: Whoever is the highest level. For reference, i was using lvl. 5 Uwe, Beatrice, and Mathias
5. Augmentation: Attack, Last Leg, Thorn length, *anything else you have
6. That small corridor behind your back when you first start the fight? It's a safe zone since chain cannot enter that place, though they still can spew their fire and ice. If they did their charge attack, you can knock them out using you gun while staying in that place.
7. 1st thing 1st, destroy the shield, and start severing the box that have the chain, starting from the bottom. After you destroy the box, the chain will be unleashed. Drag the chain down, and attack them from the front for maximum damage. It will permanently KO them if the box already cut.
8. Use your thorn to revive allies from safe distance.
9. Play it safe, don't be too hasty, focus on finishing all the box.
10. Good luck!

Additional tips:
Use online or ad hoc mode to clear the mission, since you can clear each mission separately without having to repeat the whole process if you die at later stage as long that you have clearance for finishing the mission. No need to have other player, you can do it solo with AI allies

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Several tips
1. Weapon: Your strongest gun and Strongest melee, preferably small sword with high attack, since you need to use it to sever the box. I use Hawkshadow+ with 785 attack and Barbara with 800 attack
2. Item: Adrenaline, First Aid, Flash bang, Ammo pack. Flash bang can be used to stun the chain for short time
3. Tactics: Prioritize survival and spread
4. Comrades: Whoever is the highest level. For reference, i was using lvl. 5 Uwe, Beatrice, and Mathias
5. Augmentation: Attack, Last Leg, Thorn length, *anything else you have
6. That small corridor behind your back when you first start the fight? It's a safe zone since chain cannot enter that place, though they still can spew their fire and ice. If they did their charge attack, you can knock them out using you gun while staying in that place.
7. 1st thing 1st, destroy the shield, and start severing the box that have the chain, starting from the bottom. After you destroy the box, the chain will be unleashed. Drag the chain down, and attack them from the front for maximum damage. It will permanently KO them if the box already cut.
8. Use your thorn to revive allies from safe distance.
9. Play it safe, don't be too hasty, focus on finishing all the box.
10. Good luck!

Additional tips:
Use online or ad hoc mode to clear the mission, since you can clear each mission separately without having to repeat the whole process if you die at later stage as long that you have clearance for finishing the mission. No need to have other player, you can do it solo with AI allies
Thanks! :D
I didn't know about the corridor! :O It will be useful >:)

KDR_11k

I used a 680 strength Damascene knife on the boxes, gave the AI the order to "prioritize reviving", apparently that also made them stop (or at least reduce) shooting the boss so the chains wouldn't activate all at once. In terms of upgrades I had the bleedout extension, defense, defense against abductors, lower aggro and extended thorn.

maouvin

I used a 680 strength Damascene knife on the boxes, gave the AI the order to "prioritize reviving", apparently that also made them stop (or at least reduce) shooting the boss so the chains wouldn't activate all at once. In terms of upgrades I had the bleedout extension, defense, defense against abductors, lower aggro and extended thorn.

This doesn't work against pentaltum, btw - there are specific attack/defense upgrades for it (as for ramosa, paradoxa and
dionaea
).

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

Thanks for the help, i guess i still have to grind more, especially for upgrades since i only have few of them.
I always use the "prioritize reviving" command in hard battles.

I tried again and i failed again lol, but this time thanks to the corridor tip and other little tactics i lasted more and destroyed more
chains
, i can do it.

What is the easiest weapon to upgrade to level 10 in terms of materials that are easiest to obtain without too much efforts. I am not bothered about whether it is good or not, stats, rarity etc.

What is the easiest weapon to upgrade to level 10 in terms of materials that are easiest to obtain without too much efforts. I am not bothered about whether it is good or not, stats, rarity etc.

Every weapon basically needs the same materials to get to level 10, so it doesn't really matter which you choose.

However, each of the advanced weapon models puts you on a different path that requires rare materials (again, basically the same for every weapon). I would guess that not upgrading to an advanced model at all will give you the easiest path (although I don't know what materials that would require, since most people don't do it this way).

Every weapon basically needs the same materials to get to level 10, so it doesn't really matter which you choose.

However, each of the advanced weapon models puts you on a different path that requires rare materials (again, basically the same for every weapon). I would guess that not upgrading to an advanced model at all will give you the easiest path (although I don't know what materials that would require, since most people don't do it this way).

I had a weapon that is level 8. In order to upgrade to level 9, I needed this one resource, Will'O Magnetic Fluid: Ultra-High Purity. I cannot seems find it anywhere. I have all the other resources. So I just gave up and decided to do upgrade a different weapon in hoping that I do not require hard to find resources.

It sounds like there won't be another weapon that's easier. Look at the trophy stats - only 1.3% of all players have upgraded a weapon to level 10.

Sevyne

Most of the advanced model weapons need rare materials from specific Retributions for ranks 8, 9, and 10. I believe there are a few exceptions that require some mats from some of the Spec Ops instead, but I've only upgraded weapons that needed Retribution mats. Its pretty unpleasant.

It sounds like there won't be another weapon that's easier. Look at the trophy stats - only 1.3% of all players have upgraded a weapon to level 10.

Actually there is. I am upgrading the Phalanx. I manage to upgrade it to level 9 quickly without much difficulty and now I am stuck. I need two Will'O Engine: Artillery Mk 4 resources and then I will be done.

I am unsure on how to precisely obtain it. I know which Abductor have it and which mission to do it. I want to know if it a random drop from it or do I need to break certain parts off it. Apparently I have to break the pod for it to drop.

Alright, CODE 6. The difficulty spike was jarring in the CODE 5 exam. I burned through my respawns and had to hang back. Thankfully I found a 6 slot Katze I've been able to mod that tears through abductor limbs sufficiently at a distance.

Yasumi

Banned
If I want my gun to be as powerful as possible, should I just stick with the plain Barbara line, or is it okay to go into the elemental branches.

Doombear

I've been on the fence on this game, going back and forth for a week now. Watched a good chunk of a livestream yesterday on sp00ky's Twitch channel and was pushed off the fence into a nearby Gamestop to pick up a physical copy (they had apparently just restocked a few hours earlier). Feeling a little overwhelmed, and I like it!

Only just now Code 2 after only playing a bit yesterday. When can I expect all of the training wheels to come off? Next Code? A few more missions into 2? Facilities for example, still grayed out. It isn't easy. It isn't lock on and mash a couple buttons. So far it is damn interesting and fun.

I have no clue, coming from heavy MH background, what I should be keeping my eye on weapon wise, and I figure I have a bit of time to not even be too worried about it. Right?

Now I am just trying to convince a good friend of mine to pick it up so we can do some co-op hunting!

The game opens up in Code 3, and you'll get facilities then.

You'll want at least light melee for severing parts, an assault rifle for range, and a rocket launcher for your accessory. A polearm will help if you have to melee human enemies. Don't worry about committing yourself at this stage since you'll be making better weapons by the end.

igor

15856016371_b84f348914_b.jpg
15672243597_06c2513344_b.jpg

My avatar is quite sexy.

I am having a lot of fun with it, although these 3 missions just before the Code 5 exam were ridiculous. The game has really fun gameplay, it's just everything around it that is borderline idiotic - the story is just flat out inconsistent (why am I the only one having accessory following me at all times?), there are 3 separate menus in the cell (unnecessary), cell garden is utter rubbish and crafting was probably supposed to be streamlined but just doesn't make much sense. And I can see people throwing the game away before even getting to Code 3 because it's just such a wordy drag.

I haven't got bored of it yet, but it does need more variety. It's basically three different maps at the moment (desert, city, inside factory... please tell me there will be more) and if the gameplay wasn't so much fun, I would sell it off a long time ago. I wish there was just more to it, sequel would be amazing. Plus the game looks GORGEOUS.

Question - is it just 8 costumes (one per Code) + their variations or can you get more later in the game?

The groundwork feels really solid.

There are a few annyoances here and there (little enemy variety among others), but I really think a Freedom Wars 2 could be something great.

I hope they´ll skip to the next numbered entry and don´t give us FW: Delta .

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Can anyone give me hints for the third part of the "COD 8 exam"? It's really frustrating to beat the first 2 parts, losing at the third and doing everything from the beginning.
What are the best weapons, items, tactics, commands, comrades etc for it? How to deal with
chains?

The main problem are the chains. There's a lot of them and they can be revived unless you saw off the boxy looking parts behind the boss.

Basically, the moment the fight begins, I attach myself to the back and start sawing off the boxes. The chains will come free, and you can then kill them, permanently.

Start sawing from the bottom row, then the corners, followed by the remaining boxes. What I did was I sawed off maybe 2 boxes, then tried to kill the chains, then repeat. You kill the chains by using the thorns and dragging them down. They can be dragged down easily.

But yea, I was surprised by how good this game is. I like everything about it, except maybe the movement speed. If it moved like Soul Sac, it would pretty much be perfect. The universe I feel is also very interesting.

KDR_11k

Is the power rating on a weapon a specific thing (such as damage per attack or DPS or whatever) or is it just an abstract number that means different things for different weapons? Also what's the impact damage percentage?

The impression I get is that "artillery" weapons and slow shooters like the dragontooth are utterly useless against large abductors? Really hard to get a sense of damage with the way the health bars are shown.

Damn, I died at the end of the CODE 8 exam because of those stupid chains, the abductor also had about 10% HP left :/

Back to the drawing board I guess.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
The main problem are the chains. There's a lot of them and they can be revived unless you saw off the boxy looking parts behind the boss.

Basically, the moment the fight begins, I attach myself to the back and start sawing off the boxes. The chains will come free, and you can then kill them, permanently.

Start sawing from the bottom row, then the corners, followed by the remaining boxes. What I did was I sawed off maybe 2 boxes, then tried to kill the chains, then repeat. You kill the chains by using the thorns and dragging them down. They can be dragged down easily.

But yea, I was surprised by how good this game is. I like everything about it, except maybe the movement speed. If it moved like Soul Sac, it would pretty much be perfect. The universe I feel is also very interesting.
I'm now making other missions, but when the moment will come i'll do like you say :)

Is the power rating on a weapon a specific thing (such as damage per attack or DPS or whatever) or is it just an abstract number that means different things for different weapons? Also what's the impact damage percentage?

The impression I get is that "artillery" weapons and slow shooters like the dragontooth are utterly useless against large abductors? Really hard to get a sense of damage with the way the health bars are shown.

I was wondering the same, is the damage per bullet or for magazine for example? Because if the damage is for each bullet then i really don't see the point of other weapons other than heavy machine guns that have tons of bullet with more than 800 damage.

Soulhouf

After about 150 hours (it's an approximation since I have no idea where the screen that everyone is posting is...) I discovered 2 important things:

- It's possible to use your ibara to revive your partners. This makes a huge difference since it's instantaneous and you can do it from a distance. No more frustration because your ally disappears whilst being revived.

- It's better to play as healer in the difficult missions since the IA healer is the worst. They know how to fight well but when it comes to healing they are so dumb. How many times I'm on the verge of death. Instead of of doing the basic healing, Beatidiot keeps charging for seconds to perform the healing tree instead. As a result we're both dead...

baekshi

Banned
After about 150 hours (it's an approximation since I have no idea where the screen that everyone is posting is...) I discovered 2 important things:

- It's possible to use your ibara to revive your partners. This makes a huge difference since it's instantaneous and you can do it from a distance. No more frustration because your ally disappears whilst being revived.

- It's better to play as healer in the difficult missions since the IA healer is the worst. They know how to fight well but when it comes to healing they are so dumb. How many times I'm on the verge of death. Instead of of doing the basic healing, Beatidiot keeps charging for seconds to perform the healing tree instead. As a result we're both dead...

It's better to have either 2 Healers or 2 Binders and one of others in a team.

Binding can stun enemies and it will be your moment take enemies health down significantly. One can also weaken enemies parts defense to break them down etc.

KDR_11k

How important are defenders?

Also I find myself not making much use of the thorn charge (I've got a binding thorn), I mostly use it for reviving and traversal and the occasional pull.

BTW, in the PvP mode (even the training version thereof) a thorn revive isn't instant, you have to stay connected for a few seconds. Does that happen in any PvE mode?

Soulhouf

It's better to have either 2 Healers or 2 Binders and one of others in a team.

Binding can stun enemies and it will be your moment take enemies health down significantly. One can also weaken enemies parts defense to break them down etc.

I often play as Binder and use the binding stun every time my ibara is charged. I only have 2/3 success with it though. Sometimes it misses for some inexplicable reason but when it works, it's awesome.

Because if the damage is for each bullet then i really don't see the point of other weapons other than heavy machine guns that have tons of bullet with more than 800 damage.

Not entirely sure about the damage value, but heavy machine guns slow you down a lot and have terrible range. More of a liability against fast abductors or enemy snipers.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Not entirely sure about the damage value, but heavy machine guns slow you down a lot and have terrible range. More of a liability against fast abductors or enemy snipers.

The high ROF minigun that Ann used was my main go to weapon till I fully upgraded a Barbara. Other occasions Id use a sniper rifle or that energy low ROF assault rifle. Am still unsure if that thing punches through shields, since its pretty much the only weapon that didnt cause a shield effect when it hits a target that has its shields active.

Its more about knowing the weapon you are using really. The minigun would tear shit up something terrible.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Another question, do cutting parts like weapons do damage to the abductor? Because i'm not so sure about it.

Nah, once you get used to them there are no problems, especially with the one that looks like a minigun because is precise enough, and if you need to run just use a knife(i always use one because i like to cut parts XD )

KDR_11k

Another question, do cutting parts like weapons do damage to the abductor? Because i'm not so sure about it.

Severing doesn't damage the hull AFAIK. So don't do it if your goal is just to off that abductor as fast as possible (unless it's shielded).

Soulhouf

Do we know which weapon is the most effective for sawing parts?
I'm using the chainsaw because it looks more effective than the others but I don't know if it's the case and it takes forever to cut each part from the late abductors >_>

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Do we know which weapon is the most effective for sawing parts?
I'm using the chainsaw because it looks more effective than the others but I don't know if it's the case and it takes forever to cut each part from the late abductors >_>

The happy chopper should be the next weapon above that which damage wise should out class the chainsaw I do believe.

The damage output of said weapon is what effects how much sawing power it has I do believe.

Severing doesn't damage the hull AFAIK. So don't do it if your goal is just to off that abductor as fast as possible (unless it's shielded).

Sorry KDR_11k but that's absolutely not true. Severing an abductor's artillery (rocket launcher, shields) doesn't do any damage but destroying actual body parts hurts (not as much as direct damage with OP weapons but still). Here's an album I just made that might give you a better idea of how much damage severing does. http://imgur.com/a/aUOcA

Soulhouf

The happy chopper should be the next weapon above that which damage wise should out class the chainsaw I do believe.

The damage output of said weapon is what effects how much sawing power it has I do believe.

Just checked and I think you're correct.
I thought there was some hidden stat or something like that.

Xenoflare

I am actually so pissed.

The target duo of abductors is hid behind 3 high class bipeds, seriously I spent 40 minutes trying to defeat the first three the mission what the actual fuck.

I really don't know what I'm doing wrong, the sever speed is slow and I'm maining a Hawshadow+ at 531 power at the end of code 6.

For Christ's sake this game does not list *all possible enemies* only the target ones.

Mephala

I am actually so pissed.

The target duo of abductors is hid behind 3 high class bipeds, seriously I spent 45 minutes failing the mission what the actual fuck.

For Christ's sake this game does not list *all possible enemies* only the target ones.

I did a mission like this too, I had cleated this mission before but I took it again to get some materials. I thought the first two were my targets so I took my time and broke them apart methodically. Then the third abductor arrives and I was already tired of the mission so I just went all out on it. Then the target ones arrived and I felt like an idiot. I had 16 minutes left. Barely made it. I had to tell the Ai to scatter, de-shield one then swap to de-shield the other.

Once you have cleared the mission done once you can press Select to see the list of enemies.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I can't seem to solo the last few missions on Code 7. Am I alone in this? I would like to upgrade my barbaras but I need resources from the marksmen mk4, which I cannot encounter on lower tier missions. Any tips?

Top Bottom