• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Wars |OT| Vita's imprisonment for million years

SerTapTap

Rarity 8 Easy Blaster gotten. I don't even care what its' growth type is, or that it has THREE useless or detrimental mods on it. Just going to level it to 10. Do I want to change the element at level 5 or nah?

SerTapTap

Well I want the trophy but I need a good weapon. Looks like the "P" one is the one the Japanese video is using so I'll do that. Seems to have higher base damage too even if I have to get some more mats.

Edgeward

The mats for the advanced weapons are hard to find. Ruin Cable ultra high quality for instance is a rare harvest on a retribution only. And only on 3 specific retributions. So the drop isn't even guaranteed and that mat is needed to just upgrade an adv lvl 7 to 8.

SerTapTap

The mats for the advanced weapons are hard to find. Ruin Cable ultra high quality for instance is a rare harvest on a retribution only. And only on 3 specific retributions. So the drop isn't even guaranteed and that mat is needed to just upgrade an adv lvl 7 to 8.

Oh good. Eh if I get stuck I'll just grind a super basic weapon to level 10 (is there a particularly easy one?) I wasn't really going for the level 10 trophy yet, plenty of work to do before that, so I wanted a great weapon first.

Should I be making a max DPS light melee weapon too? I have a decent Ea's Knife but it seems there are better ones, plus this is only a rarity 6

maouvin

Oh good. Eh if I get stuck I'll just grind a super basic weapon to level 10 (is there a particularly easy one?) I wasn't really going for the level 10 trophy yet, plenty of work to do before that, so I wanted a great weapon first.

Should I be making a max DPS light melee weapon too? I have a decent Ea's Knife but it seems there are better ones, plus this is only a rarity 6

iirc the mats are the same for a given upgrade route for all weapons, so upgrade whichever you want.

And I like me some 2H weapons. Rocking a Aftershadow+ right now, triangle-mashing things to death. Still need to get a LB R8 and upgrade etc... but I still have to try more of light weapons and spears to see if I fancy them. But if you make a badass barbara you don't need a flawless melee weapon. A LB R6-8 with a few good mods should be enough.

Also, finally beat 8-1! Now to do random stuff until 8-2 unlocks.

SerTapTap

Oh, okay, there's more story after the "ending". Also, screw the Retribution special missions holy crap. Never fought a dragon before. That was over fast. Fought two in a different mission though and they seem like an alright fight once you know what you're doing.

The Easy Blaster certainly isn't named for it's ease of use. I know it's OP but I still hate the dang thing. EZ Katze remains my main until I get all the mods and levels to make this thing properly OP. Still seems like much less DPS for now.

Is the "500,000 years" trophy as insane as it seems to someone starting Code 8 with 888,000 left?

MG-M7 has some easy (relatively) mat requirements. The only thing I had to farm was stuff from a quad artillery mk 4

Oh wow, got that straight to 8 with no issue (but now I need more of every single component). Thanks

people

The Easy Blaster certainly isn't named for it's ease of use. I know it's OP but I still hate the dang thing. EZ Katze remains my main until I get all the mods and levels to make this thing properly OP. Still seems like much less DPS for now.

Is the "500,000 years" trophy as insane as it seems to someone starting Code 8 with 888,000 left?

I have several max damage Barbara's Easy Blasters, but have been using them less and less. They can surely be super-effective in most scenario's, especially at point-blank range. After the initial 'satisfaction' of chain-pod-stunning/killing everything in (half) a minute started to wear off, EZ Katze has become my assault weapon of choice. I find it a bit more versatile, specially against Sinners/Warriors from On High.

Remember you can use Contribution and Contribution+ Augments for bonus sentence reduction (and EP), 25% and 50% respectively. They also stack for maximum effect (75%). Once you're able to (find a group to) clear Retributions fast 500K (and 0 after that) won't seem that daunting at 17,500 years every 1 to ~6 minutes.

SerTapTap

The Katze is one of very few guns that just WORKS IMO. I really don't like the major quirks that almost everything else has. The sniper damage just doesnt' seem worth the careful shots, the rocket launchers make you slow and run out of ammo in seconds, the flamethrower...seems like suicide, I don't even know what the Dragonbreath does or if it's even hurting things, the two completely normal miniguns are okay, the heavy melee seems like a really bad idea due to the lack of cutting or (proper) ranged attacks.

I basically only use my Katze, the easy blaster because of technical superiority, and any light melee weapon as they're pretty close to interchangable. Rocket launchers are nice for accessories though.

Also, is it normal for the elements to almost never proc? I'm code 8 and yesterday for the first time I saw the white "frozen" effect, and I've been using an ice Katze since code 4. I think the trick with ice is that I had to keep targeting the same breakable part. I also have a shock katze and I haven't noticed it's effect going off at all. I miss Borderlands style elements, no game of any genre has yet made elements feel that good to me.

darkwing

what is this Citizen's Voice? everytime I press Select to download a copy, it just says 24 Hour Surveillance when I try to read it?

anddo0

This game is pretty addictive. Just made it to Code 4.

It's all I've been playing on my Vita.

I'm almost up to my code 5 exam. The core mechanics are finally starting to click, learning the does and don't for crafting, and I've found my team of goto sinners.

It's great game, but I've read the horror stories of how tough the end-game is. I hope I'll be able to finish it.

SerTapTap

can you modify a weapon indefinitely or can you just do it just once

You can modify a weapon as many times as you want as long as you have open slots for the modifications to be inherited (and you can remove bad modifications to add new ones back on). Rarity and growth type are set in stone so worry about those first.

anddo0

You can modify a weapon as many times as you want as long as you have open slots for the modifications to be inherited (and you can remove bad modifications to add new ones back on). Rarity and growth type are set in stone so worry about those first.

How do you remove bad mods?
I assume you have to re-roll?

SerTapTap

How do you remove bad mods?
I assume you have to re-roll?

One of the cell blocks on level 6 apparently has someone to take them off for 5000 entitlement points/years. I haven't messed with it yet because that's a lot for me and my completionism wants to unlock all the entitlements I won't use anyway first

Okay so I'm thinking of picking this game up at last, and I was wondering if the community could help me by answering a few questions. I should point out that I tend not to play many of these hunting-type games multiplayer, so I'll be looking at it primarily as a single-player experience.

1. What's the rough speed of the game vis-a-vis other Vita hunting games? For example, I love Soul Sacrifice/Delta because it's fairly fast-paced, but find Toukiden generally too slow.

2. How many big monster/abductor enemies are in the game? I've only seen something like 4-5 and that seems like it'd get really stale really fast? Is this the case? Are there more abductors or do the limited number manage to maintain fun through other means?

3. What's the story like? Good? Passable? Terribad? Similarly, what are the NPCs like (assuming there are any, I like NPCs in my games)?

Thanks in advance! :)

SerTapTap

Okay so I'm thinking of picking this game up at last, and I was wondering if the community could help me by answering a few questions. I should point out that I tend not to play many of these hunting-type games multiplayer, so I'll be looking at it primarily as a single-player experience.

1. What's the rough speed of the game vis-a-vis other Vita hunting games? For example, I love Soul Sacrifice/Delta because it's fairly fast-paced, but find Toukiden generally too slow.

2. How many big monster/abductor enemies are in the game? I've only seen something like 4-5 and that seems like it'd get really stale really fast? Is this the case? Are there more abductors or do the limited number manage to maintain fun through other means?

3. What's the story like? Good? Passable? Terribad? Similarly, what are the NPCs like (assuming there are any, I like NPCs in my games)?

Thanks in advance! :)

Some of the lategame monsters can take a fair bit of time to take down. Missions are never longer than 45 minutes because...well there's a 45 minute timer on most missions and you fail if it expires. To-the-minute action is generally pretty intense, but note that by endgame you may be riding out the majority of that 45 minutes. To start with it's more like 5-10. It's fairly like soul Sacrifice I guess.

If I'm remembering right, there are 6 major varieties, with several major variants (elemental resistant, artillery focused vs not, super versions) and many different weapons for the basic classes. Plus many missions mix in different abductors which can make fights very different, and some other missions have trash mobs thrown in. It works better than it sounds IMO, more visual variety would be nice and I really dislike the quadropeds but I think it worked out pretty well. It is something they need to work on in any future revisions, but I wouldn't avoid the game because of it.

Story is IMO passable. The lore is great, character interactions are alright but not deep, story itself isn't really outstanding and doesn't really match up to the lore's potential. NPCs are alright, spout some supporting lore and stuff.

At Code 7 and goddamn, this game is pissing me off. I've failed 4 missions in row. Twice online and twice offline. 3 of them are code 6s. Kill 5 abductors in one mission? Okay, but throw in rival sinners on the last one when I've got 8 minutes left? Fuck off.

They need to make the respawn timer on rival sinners waaaaay higher. It seems like by the time I've wiped out one wave, another one is circle strafing me already. I don't mind fighting enemy sinners, but it makes some abductor missions absolutely impossible. It's not challenging, it's annoying. It's like trying to fight off hornets while fighting a bear. Sinners are also ridiculously accurate and powerful. I just drop dead in the middle of an abductor fight cause I didn't know that a sinner was pouring bullets into me.

SerTapTap

At Code 7 and goddamn, this game is pissing me off. I've failed 4 missions in row. Twice online and twice offline. 3 of them are code 6s. Kill 5 abductors in one mission? Okay, but throw in rival sinners on the last one when I've got 8 minutes left? Fuck off.

They need to make the respawn timer on rival sinners waaaaay higher. It seems like by the time I've wiped out one wave, another one is circle strafing me already. I don't mind fighting enemy sinners, but it makes some abductor missions absolutely impossible. It's not challenging, it's annoying. It's like trying to fight off hornets while fighting a bear. Sinners are also ridiculously accurate and powerful. I just drop dead in the middle of an abductor fight cause I didn't know that a sinner was pouring bullets into me.

Are those the optional missions? Those are harder than a story mission at the same point, and should generally be ignored for a code level if you can stand it.

Rival sinners are a real pain in the ass in the abductor fights. I usually leave my team on Supress Personnel and it's not a big deal except for snipers/long range rocket dudes. Honestly the absurd accuracy of the enemy sinners is more unfair. They will never miss a shot if you're not dodge-rolling.

It'd be nice if enemy sinners had sustainability as well, even in Abductor fights, so you could clear X waves, then it's just you and the abductor.

Are those the optional missions? Those are harder than a story mission at the same point, and should generally be ignored for a code level if you can stand it.

Rival sinners are a real pain in the ass in the abductor fights. I usually leave my team on Supress Personnel and it's not a big deal except for snipers/long range rocket dudes. Honestly the absurd accuracy of the enemy sinners is more unfair. They will never miss a shot if you're not dodge-rolling.

It'd be nice if enemy sinners had sustainability as well, even in Abductor fights, so you could clear X waves, then it's just you and the abductor.

Yeah, I'm doing the optional ones. I wouldn't be so mad if I wasn't so close to victory. Rival sinner accuracy really is ridiculous, especially the ones with Katzes. I can't even run for cover around a corner before I hit the ground. Giving them sustainability would be great. My only real tactic against sinners is to thorn and leap attack them till they're dead, but even that's pretty risky as the lock on can take a second, which by that time they'll have emptied quite a few bullets into me.

Doombear

are people upgrading gear levels of npcs? pretty expensive for later levels. is it worth it?

Definitely notice a jump at higher levels in higher Codes. They seem to have much more survivability. It is quite expensive. I think have my 3 go-tos at level 8-9 right now. They are doing ok, but I would love to be able to max all three before I start to attempt Retributions.

Definitely notice a jump at higher levels in higher Codes. They seem to have much more survivability. It is quite expensive. I think have my 3 go-tos at level 8-9 right now. They are doing ok, but I would love to be able to max all three before I start to attempt Retributions.

sounds good. i want to boost a team to get the solo trophies.

another question: is there a way to fill up party slots with npc members of your choice (in online lobbies)?

Flunkie

Banned
It's all I've been playing on my Vita.

I'm almost up to my code 5 exam. The core mechanics are finally starting to click, learning the does and don't for crafting, and I've found my team of goto sinners.

It's great game, but I've read the horror stories of how tough the end-game is. I hope I'll be able to finish it.
Hit me up if you want to coop some.

Soulhouf

One of the issues I have with this game is the sound effect. It's so bad.
Especially for weapons, when you fire, reload, or simply run out of bullets. It's so unsatisfying.

darkwing

I'm trying to upgrade my level 5 weapon (Katze) and it is asking if I want the advanced model? but it goes back to level 1, which is better?

SerTapTap

I'm trying to upgrade my level 5 weapon (Katze) and it is asking if I want the advanced model? but it goes back to level 1, which is better?

Best I can tell the upgraded models usually have higher base damage, but they're harder to upgrade level by level (rarer materials), plus they all have a certain amount of elemental damage (or a non elemental "stagger" sort of element).

Li Kao

Sorry for the noob questions, I'm just looking up on the game but...
By 'can stand it', you mean you can do the main missions and play the optional ones later, or that if you skip an optional mission you can't play it later ?
And you can play a solo mission in coop, right ?

Yeah, really basic questions :eek:

SerTapTap

Sorry for the noob questions, I'm just looking up on the game but...
By 'can stand it', you mean you can do the main missions and play the optional ones later, or that if you skip an optional mission you can't play it later ?
And you can play a solo mission in coop, right ?

Yeah, really basic questions :eek:

Yes, missions (except for special missions) don't disappear from your list, just ignore optional ones if they're too hard and play them later after you've gotten better gear and stuff.

You can play story missions co op, but if it's one of those "no team mates, no accessories" I assume not...but I haven't tried either.

Wagram

Platinumed & Finished this today. I had a good amount of fun with it until I hit Code 8. Just feels like they wanted to block people from playing solo in some of those missions.

The ending after
8-5 is shit. There isn't one.

Probably a 6/10 or so for me.

arumisan

Just wonderring if anyone knows how to customise your character/accessory even further (aside from buying entitlements)? I tried talking to the Sasa NPC but I can't seem to trigger any events about the "clinical trials"?

maouvin

Someone on /r/FreedomWars translated linked some translated stuff from the official material book, with info about various things in the game (like what do sinners eat, what are accessories made of, and other small stuff). Pretty neat: http://thepianofairy.tumblr.com/post/107851978183
It has some spoilers, of course.

The part about
physical remodeling
is... quite something.

Would buy the book if I could japanese :/

SerTapTap

Just wonderring if anyone knows how to customise your character/accessory even further (aside from buying entitlements)? I tried talking to the Sasa NPC but I can't seem to trigger any events about the "clinical trials"?

Is that the woman in the fur coat? I don't think she actually does anything. You can do "physical remodelling" and clothes changing for you and your accessory at any time and some minor stuff to get a bit more control over your accessory (name them, give more orders) but that's all. By the end you'll have a pretty decent selection of clothes and color palettes and such if you buy the entitlements.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Someone on /r/FreedomWars translated some stuff from the official material book, with info about various things in the game (like what do sinners eat, what are accessories made of, and other small stuff). Pretty neat: http://thepianofairy.tumblr.com/post/107851978183
It has some spoilers, of course.

The part about
physical remodeling
is... quite something.

Would buy the book if I could japanese :/

e9aa_soylent_green_crackers.jpg

Num nums.

Some of the lategame monsters can take a fair bit of time to take down. Missions are never longer than 45 minutes because...well there's a 45 minute timer on most missions and you fail if it expires. To-the-minute action is generally pretty intense, but note that by endgame you may be riding out the majority of that 45 minutes. To start with it's more like 5-10. It's fairly like soul Sacrifice I guess.

If I'm remembering right, there are 6 major varieties, with several major variants (elemental resistant, artillery focused vs not, super versions) and many different weapons for the basic classes. Plus many missions mix in different abductors which can make fights very different, and some other missions have trash mobs thrown in. It works better than it sounds IMO, more visual variety would be nice and I really dislike the quadropeds but I think it worked out pretty well. It is something they need to work on in any future revisions, but I wouldn't avoid the game because of it.

Story is IMO passable. The lore is great, character interactions are alright but not deep, story itself isn't really outstanding and doesn't really match up to the lore's potential. NPCs are alright, spout some supporting lore and stuff.

Ah, thanks! I might pick it up at the end of the month or so, then. Thank you for answering my questions. :)

arumisan

Is that the woman in the fur coat? I don't think she actually does anything. You can do "physical remodelling" and clothes changing for you and your accessory at any time and some minor stuff to get a bit more control over your accessory (name them, give more orders) but that's all. By the end you'll have a pretty decent selection of clothes and color palettes and such if you buy the entitlements.

Yeah. I'm asking as I've seen people customising themselves without the jackets etc. of outfits e.g. With the cat costume, I've seen people managed to not have the cat-like jacket/vest on their avatar.

It doesn't really matter.

On the other hand, I don't like how much playing online is glitching up for me (especially since there are a couple of missions I can't do by myself)!

people

Yeah. I'm asking as I've seen people customising themselves without the jackets etc. of outfits e.g. With the cat costume, I've seen people managed to not have the cat-like jacket/vest on their avatar.

When choosing outfits you can press [square] to cycle through alternate versions of a costume.

Top Bottom