• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Tupac to Rosa Parks: KY county clerk Kim Davis says "Only God can judge me now"

Status
Not open for further replies.
She didn't really deserve jail time.

Although considering the pressure and lack of options it looks like there wasn't much choice but now there's going to be a new breed of intensity on this subject, forbetter or worse depends on the person.

Wrong. People who have an ounce of marijuana don't deserve jail time. Kim was in contempt of court she definitely deserved jail time.

Arkeband

Banned
Well that didn't take long to start psyching people up to give up their money.

"They can go one county over and get what the supreme court says they can get"

What happens if that county follows your logic, and the county afterward? If the whole state follows your logic, then I guess they're shit outta luck and should be less gay?

andymcc

Banned
Remind me not to visit this town.

bugsbunnycuttingitoff.jpg

to be fair, when they did the protest during the ashland trial, tons of the pro-davis supporters were bused in by churches from all around the country.

while carter county is full of old hateful bigots, i doubt that's all that is there.

Mecha

I agree with this guy, it's so hard for Christians to be in public office. Why are all of the other religions represented in politics but not Christianity??

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I agree with this guy, it's so hard for Christians to be in public office. Why are all of the other religions represented in politics but not Christianity??
Because B-Rock 'The Islamic Shock' Hussein Superallah Obama is president

Although considering the pressure and lack of options it looks like there wasn't much choice but now there's going to be a new breed of intensity on this subject, forbetter or worse depends on the person.
She broke the law and denied people basic rights.

Brian Brown's greatest hits

-- Testified in favor of a Russian law banning same-sex adoptions, saying that “Every child should have the right to have normal parents: a father and a mother”

-- Says homosexuality is "not logical" and "degrading to the human soul": "Well guess what — homosexuality IS a sin in the bible, and virtually every other sacred text out there. Engaging in homosexual sex IS considered by God to be sinful according to the teachings of most religions. And sin is NOT logical. Sin is deceitful, harmful and degrading to the human soul."

-- Claims same-sex marriage is “an attempt to deconstruct the very nature of reality—the very nature of what it means to be a human being”

-- Recently attempted, via his national newsletter, to raise a link between marriage equality and pedophilia: "Will pedophiles become "minor-attracted persons" in our culture? Will courts which endorse orientation as a protected class decide down the road that therefore laws which discriminate against "minor-attracted persons" must be narrowly tailored to a compelling government interest?”

Kard8p3

fighting against gay marriage is like fighting against slavery...

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

Of course she did. A federal judge lawfully ordered her to issue marriage licenses, and she refused. If the federal judiciary lacks a mechanism for enforcing its lawful orders, such as holding people like this clerk in contempt, then why on earth would anyone ever obey an order from a federal judge?

Mat Staver's Greatest Hits:

-- Claims LGBT advocates are doing "the bidding of the devil"

-- Claims negotiating with what he calls 'homofascists' (i.e. advocacy groups like GLAAD) is 'almost like negotiating with terrorists'

-- On coexisting with LGBT rights: "You cannot coexist, you cannot give up on something, that is literally an attack on God himself.”

-- Claims marriage equality obliterates the idea of God: "Same-sex marriage is ultimately the abolition of gender; it’s ultimately the abolition of any moral behavior with regards to human sexuality. This whole assault on marriage is really an attempt to obliterate not only morality but Judeo-Christian morality, to obliterate marriage and to even obliterate the idea that there even is a God."

-- On the repeal of the discriminatory Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell: "We believe they've slapped the military in the face and have betrayed the men and women in the service by using the military to push the homosexual agenda. We will ask the House to refuse to fund the repeal, which will take millions of dollars to fund."

-- Claims that children with gay parents will end up “behind bars for committing violent crimes.” (0:00 - 0:56)

-- Claims: "Same-sex marriage, same-sex relationships is destructive to individuals and it’s destructive to our very social fabric."

-- “It may sound crass, but take a fan for example, and instead of having the male plug, have the female plug, and try to see if you can make it work. You’re not going to be able to plug it into a wall. The fact is nature teaches you -- you don’t have to have anything -- that’s why a five-year-old can understand that this is against nature. That’s why it’s been called a crime against nature. (0:00 - 0:27)

Satan is fucking with their microphone.
Hail Satan.

ido

So what's going to happen the day her deputies are out sick or something and a gay couple wants a license and she is the only one in the office that day that can do it.

UK GAF reporting in

what the hell am i watching USA GAF

'Merica at its worst, a parade of people with well-documented histories of hate speech exercising their first amendment rights to spout more of it and hide behind the shield of their religious texts.

All because gay people want to engage in a civil contract that grants them civil benefits.

Wow, even Shepard Smith on Fox news is even against this. Can't remember the last time I agree with a fox anchor.

Shep Smith has always been a class act and stand up guy. Don't judge him by his employer.

Oh god here comes the King of Fuckery himself.

MEsoJD

Banned
I wish religion would fuck off and die. This lady should have quit if it was such a detriment to her beliefs. Huckabee and that crowd of puppets disgust me with their support of ignorance.

pigeon

Banned

Contempt jail time is purely based on your willingness to agree.

So, I mean, if one thing is absolutely clear from her choosing to serve time rather than resign her office or provide marriage certificates, it's that no lesser punishment would have sufficed. Jail time wasn't even sufficient to make her comply with the law. What justification would there for for doing less?

GJS

So has anything happened yet, or is everything back to exactly the same situation as before the clerk was jailed?

As far as I'm aware Kay Schwartz and Casey Davis have refused to issue marriage licenses throughout and are still refusing to do so and have yet to be challenged over this.

Reminder: This man is running for President. And he, with a straight face, explains the Constitution this way. Ugh.
People fighting tooth and nail for their antiquated ways as the world changes around them and leaves them behind.
Not sure if deliberate or not, but 10/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom