• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Tupac to Rosa Parks: KY county clerk Kim Davis says "Only God can judge me now"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mecha

Psh, Labor Day weekend. That's like, three whole days.

I don't think you understand..

1rxbIJ0.png

Man... I want to punch this judge in the dick. Stupid CNN. Why did I have to leave you on when I took a nap so the first thing I saw when I woke up was this? He's allowing a situation where the offender is going to stand in front of a crowd and claim victory. Generally, people behind the legal push in more progressive causes will take any form of a win and are not the vindictive types. There's got to be some lawyer somewhere that's not happy with this, right? The CNN panel seems somewhat conflicted. Surely someone wants some easy PR attention?! Wait. HER lawyer is saying this isn't over?!? The hell?

I feel a desperate need to go out commit some debauchery to counteract this. Unfortunately I live in one of those cities where there's no indecent exposure law and the police will laugh off any blatant intoxication or drug possession unless you're dealing to children (or are Black, sorry).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Man... I want to punch this judge in the dick. Stupid CNN. Why did I have to leave you on when I took a nap so the first thing I saw when I woke up was this? He's allowing a situation where the offender is going to stand in front of a crowd and claim victory. Generally, people behind the legal push in more progressive causes will take any form of a win and are not the vindictive types. There's got to be some lawyer somewhere that's not happy with this, right? The CNN panel seems somewhat conflicted. Surely someone wants some easy PR attention?! Wait. HER lawyer is saying this isn't over?!? The hell?

With all due respect, we're supposedly a nation of grown ups so we need to worry more about actual justice rather than making sure the bad people don't get to be happy. The bizarre need to make sure she doesn't feel validated rather than resolve the actual injustice is totally childish behaviour. It's a win if gay couples can get married. It's a loss if they can't.

Goliath

Seriously I think my mom put me in a corner and told me to stare at a wall longer than Davis had to serve punishment ehre.

Ahh a corner kid. I knew kids that got time outs. I was one of those get hit with a belt kids. Still I think we both were served harsher punishments then Kim.

Fuck Reagan, the fact they support Reagan proves they're on the wrong side of justice.

And none of these shits would be doing this same cheering if a black or gay person protested.

I think you misunderstand the role of a federal judge in all of this.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
HOLY SHIT FOX NEWS

They just said that mike hukkabee statement about the supreme court has no standing facts and that the supreme court does have final say. It's the law of the land.

holy-sht.gif

The Benham Brother's greatest hits

In 2012, David Benham led a prayer rally outside the Democratic National Convention saying "homosexuality and its agenda that is attacking the nation," RWW reported. That same year he wrote a blog post equating opposition to same-sex marriage laws to the fight against the Nazi regime.

The Benhams issued a statement to USA Today in response to HGTV's decision to ax the show, saying, in part: "As Christians we are called to love our fellow man. Anyone who suggests that we hate homosexuals or people of other faiths is either misinformed or lying ... we do not, nor will we ever discriminate against people who do not share our views."

uh huh

I think you misunderstand the role of a federal judge in all of this.
He's there to make sure the law is followed. It will be. On a technicality.
With all due respect, we're supposedly a nation of grown ups so we need to worry more about actual justice rather than making sure the bad people don't get to be happy. The bizarre need to make sure she doesn't feel validated rather than resolve the actual injustice is totally childish behaviour. It's a win if gay couples can get married. It's a loss if they can't.
*Sigh*
You're right. And you needn't offer it with respect--I was being pathetically dramatic. You're right that we resolved the matter of marriage licenses (which is awesome!) but it'll still irk me that she's still getting a protected status. It would be preferable if her lawyers just called this a day and left town before saying anything new that's ignorant.

She didn't really deserve jail time.

Although considering the pressure and lack of options it looks like there wasn't much choice but now there's going to be a new breed of intensity on this subject, forbetter or worse depends on the person.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
They say the licenses out now are not valid.

This is my concern about what happens next.

With regard to marriage licenses under KY402.100 there are two steps. There's the issuing of the license in the first place (which the court judgment directly addresses), and there's the completion and registering of the actual marriage certificate after the ceremony when the form comes back to the office (which has so far been completely ignored).

If Davis claims that the licenses issued were invalid then I imagine she will have a little moral difficulty with registering the marriage certificate and we'll have to go through this whole palaver all over again. Neither the original court order, nor the order to deputies, nor the conditions upon Davis' release address this.

She didn't really deserve jail time.

Although considering the pressure and lack of options it looks like there wasn't much choice but now there's going to be a new breed of intensity on this subject, forbetter or worse depends on the person.

Of course she did. She was in contempt of court for refusing to comply with the judge's order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom