• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Tupac to Rosa Parks: KY county clerk Kim Davis says "Only God can judge me now"

Status
Not open for further replies.
She wasn't jailed for bigotry, she was jailed for refusing to comply with a court order. As long as she complies with the law and allows gay couples to get marriage licenses, who cares how much of a jerk she is?

I mean sure, it would be nice if people weren't jerks, but throwing jerks in jail isn't really a realistic option.

She was ordered to issue licences, there aren't many jobs where you can be hired/elected to do something and then told not to interfere with someone else who will do your job for you when you claim it is against whatever faith you hold.

She is being paid $80k to defy the supreme court and disregard whatever parts of the constitution she doesn't agree with.

gcubed

will there be a rally for the muslim flight attendant to get her job back?

Is the Huckster going to visit her next?

That "Defend Christians" sign makes me sad.

It's hard to believe a group of people who are part of a majority think they are being persecuted and think that gays should just accept their beliefs, without a hint of irony of course.

Cyan

Banned
She was ordered to issue licences, there aren't many jobs where you can be hired/elected to do something and then told not to interfere with someone else who will do your job for you when you claim it is against whatever faith you hold.

She is being paid $80k to defy the supreme court and disregard whatever parts of the constitution she doesn't agree with.

Again, who cares what she thinks? The important outcome is that no one will be denied licenses. If she's back in her office glowering every time a gay couple comes in, and asks a deputy to issue those licenses... so what?

Zoe

What does her job entail besides issuing marriage licenses?

More than just marriage licenses.

http://rowancountyclerk.com/
As county clerk I am responsible for providing many services to the people of Rowan county. These duties include general categories of clerical duties of the fiscal court: issuing and registering, recording and keeping various legal records, registering and purging voter rolls, and conducting election duties and tax duties.

Again, who cares what she thinks? The important outcome is that no one will be denied licenses. If she's back in her office glowering every time a gay couple comes in, and asks a deputy to issue those licenses... so what?

I'm not even american so it doesn't really affect me, my taxes don't pay her wages.

It's just galling that someone who can get paid nearly 2.5x the average wage of the state be allowed to pick and choose what part of the job she wants to do depending on the sexual orientation of the people coming through the door.

neshcom

Banned
What a coincidence that Davis got released on the day of her big rally!
/s

She's getting paid to entirely offload one of her duties to someone else. Beyond the obvious discrimination motivation, it just plain makes her bad at her job.

Sanjuro

It's just galling that someone who can get paid nearly 2.5x the average wage of the state be allowed to pick and choose what part of the job she wants to do depending on the sexual orientation of the people coming through the door.

She's getting paid to entirely offload one of her duties to someone else. Beyond the obvious discrimination motivation, it just plain makes her bad at her job.

Not to worry. I'm sure all our tax money is going towards far more useless and expensive endeavors.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Well, aside from the fact that she's refusing to do her job and she is now basically an $80k a year welfare recipient, she has said she won't allow her deputies to issue the licenses. The judge gave her that out before she was thrown in jail.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I would assume that actually signing marriage licenses is a relatively small part of what a county clerk does and almost always delegated to deputy clerks in practical terms, and SSM will account for certainly fewer than 10% of all marriage licenses to begin with. The reason she got thrown in jail wasn't because she wouldn't issue same sex marriage licenses, it's because she tried to stop her office from issuing marriage licenses.

Also, since she doesn't have a boss and she is the boss of the people she would be delegating to... like... uh... does it make you mad that any manager delegates any work they'd rather not do to subordinates? That seems kinda a routine part of business.

Note my only experience with marriage licenses was getting married, but what I did was I went to one of 8 offices in my city that issued marriage licenses and got served by one of about 15 wickets at the office, and the process took I would say about 3 minutes. So I don't think if some particular person there had refused to serve me on whatever grounds, everyone else would feel like they really got a ton of work dumped on them.

(All of this is proceeding from the exchange you had with Cyan, so in this hypothetical she is not issuing licenses but also allowing her deputies to process them and no one seeking a license is being turned away--which is what your post was about. If she doesn't allow her deputies to process it, obviously she's still in contempt)

Well, aside from the fact that she's refusing to do her job and she is now basically an $80k a year welfare recipient, she has said she won't allow her deputies to issue the licenses. The judge gave her that out before she was thrown in jail.
To expand on Zoe's link a bit, her job also includes; motor vehicle registration, legal records (beyond marriage, includes deeds, name changes, mechanics liens, mortgages, powers of attorney, wills, corporations, tax liens, military discharges, trademarks, assignments, releases, marriages, and delinquent property taxes,) land records, and elections.

massoluk

Banned
Why are you electing people to these jobs. I thought electing dog catchers was just a joke but apparently America will have an election for anything.

Yeah, especially elected Judges. Fuck that, why are popularity contests being used to appoint judges. GOP keep calling out Supreme Court as unelected judges, well no shits, qualifications should come first.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
uW743KV.png

dat sign...

I knew she'd cave... somewhat. That's not 100% accurate. The judge has gone for the "reasonable accommodation" route, however, as of last Thursday even passing the matter off to deputies was not something she was willing to accept. She's now being forced to accept it as a condition of being released. This is still bullshit. On the technicality that she has underlings she's become a protected bigot. The law is the law and this reeks of "can you all stop paying attention to our community now, please? Plus, all the gays have married by now so it won't ever come up."

As with every legal everything I'm assuming this will get appealed. Please? Though I'm not sure if you could find anyone to take up that cause. However vindictive that is I think this is a sour precedent. Last week she was even saying that the licenses aren't valid without her signature on them! Anyone going to shop around for a gay couple to go in and demand she sign the paperwork herself and see what happens? This'll get spun as a Religious Freedom win despite being a non-outcome with nothing actually settled. The law of marriage licenses is now technically being followed in that county yet as the appropriate elected official she's not going to do it herself.

I hate this country. The ACLU seems content with this outcome, which sorta surprises me. Oh, and what the hell is with using rain umbrellas as sun umbrellas? It's the South! You're supposed to have sun umbrellas!

Dishwalla

Banned
This whole situation was just the stupidest fucking thing. It's perfect fodder for those B-level comedians to laugh at on a future installment of VH1's "I Love The whateverthehellthisdecadeiscalled" in ten years.

I knew she'd cave... somewhat. That's not 100% accurate. The judge has gone for the "reasonable accommodation" route, however, as of last Thursday even passing the matter off to deputies was not something she was willing to accept. She's now being forced to accept it as a condition of being released. This is still bullshit. On the technicality that she has underlings she's become a protected bigot. The law is the law and this reeks of "can you all stop paying attention to our community now, please? Plus, all the gays have married by now so it won't ever come up."

As with every legal everything I'm assuming this will get appealed. Please? Though I'm not sure if you could find anyone to take up that cause. However vindictive that is I think this is a sour precedent. Last week she was even saying that the licenses aren't valid without her signature on them! Anyone going to shop around for a gay couple to go in and demand she sign the paperwork herself and see what happens? This'll get spun as a Religious Freedom win despite being a non-outcome with nothing actually settled. The law of marriage licenses is now technically being followed in that county yet as the appropriate elected official she's not going to do it herself.

I hate this country. The ACLU seems content with this outcome, which sorta surprises me. Oh, and what the hell is with using rain umbrellas as sun umbrellas? It's the South! You're supposed to have sun umbrellas!

Agreed completely. She should stay in jail until she personally issues licenses or quits the job. As it is now, she's getting paid by the people to discriminate against them.

Dishwalla

Banned
Oh my god, this press conference on CNN. So embarrassing. They are treating her like she was a prisoner of war.

"Kim Davis is Free!" *cheers.

neshcom

Banned
I would assume that actually signing marriage licenses is a relatively small part of what a county clerk does and almost always delegated to deputy clerks in practical terms, and SSM will account for certainly fewer than 10% of all marriage licenses to begin with. The reason she got thrown in jail wasn't because she wouldn't issue same sex marriage licenses, it's because she tried to stop her office from issuing marriage licenses.

Also, since she doesn't have a boss and she is the boss of the people she would be delegating to... like... uh... does it make you mad that any manager delegates any work they'd rather not do to subordinates? That seems kinda a routine part of business.

Note my only experience with marriage licenses was getting married, but what I did was I went to one of 8 offices in my city that issued marriage licenses and got served by one of about 15 wickets at the office, and the process took I would say about 3 minutes. So I don't think if some particular person there had refused to serve me on whatever grounds, everyone else would feel like they really got a ton of work dumped on them.

(All of this is proceeding from the exchange you had with Cyan, so in this hypothetical she is not issuing licenses but also allowing her deputies to process them and no one seeking a license is being turned away--which is what your post was about. If she doesn't allow her deputies to process it, obviously she's still in contempt)

No, that's a good point. I assumed based on how much face-time she accrued as spearheading this (and how small the county was) that it was a significant enough amount of her job. It would be great if someone was always able to process licenses, but it's worrying. If, for whatever reason, she's the only one capable of issuing licenses at a given time, does she comply or will she pick and choose? Her affront to her duty on this makes her the point of weakness in the chain when that responsibility ultimately falls on her and her name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom