• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Tupac to Rosa Parks: KY county clerk Kim Davis says "Only God can judge me now"

Status
Not open for further replies.
edit: was responding to Netherscourges completely different pre-edit.

Sorry about that. Was trying to type and paste the URL at the same time and got all mucked up lol.

BTW - Mike Huckabee looks so damn slimey up there trying to capitalize on this for his Presidential run.

Raiku

COaEgPoU8AESYv7.png:large

rejoice.png

pigeon

Banned
edit: Apparently responding to a post that was edited out because it was responding to another post that was edited.

Zubz

Banned
So I must've missed something. Did Kim Davis get freed or something?

She was only jailed for a weekend. Or, at least this time around. I have no doubt that she intends to keep obstructing same-sex couples from getting their marriage licenses, and will be back in jail within the month.

I know they can't, but it's absurd that the easiest solution to her not doing her job isn't to fire her. I mean, I honestly can't contribute anything new as to why she's in the wrong here, but she is clearly abusing her faith to justify valuing her bigotry over her career. Despite that, the fact that enough like-minded people are hailing her as a hero means that she's probably not going to stop until the repercussions become far more severe than a holiday weekend spent in prison. I mean, look at that image of her; it's going to her head.

So have I read correctly that Davis' idiot attorneys have already said that she's not going to allow her employees to issue marriage licenses once she returns to her office?

Because if so, Jesus Christ, this idiot needs new counsel. They're clearly encouraging her to break the law and defy court orders.

And even complete morons like Kim Davis deserve competent, ethical attorneys.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....

1. When does she go back to work?
2. Can she stall on signing gay marriage certificates?
3. Can she order her deputies to not sign marriage certificates?
4. What's the time limit for a gay couple to present a marriage application and for her to sign it before she goes back to jail for contempt?

So have I read correctly that Davis' idiot attorneys have already said that she's not going to allow her employees to issue marriage licenses once she returns to her office?

Because if so, Jesus Christ, this idiot needs new counsel. They're clearly encouraging her to break the law and defy court orders.

But they're from the Liberty Counsel. Experts in liberty.

Of course that's what they told her. They get national attention and whatever cost they rack up on her will be paid by donations and special interest groups.

Wtf just jail her until a new session starts

Zubz

Banned

I appreciate your level-headedness, and I agree. I thought she was the one spreading this rumor herself. If it's her attorneys, then they're just as guilty as she is about being counter-productive at their jobs! It's deliciously ironic, but no less unethical.

Dai101

Banned
Of course that's what they told her. They get national attention and whatever cost they rack up on her will be paid by donations and special interest groups.

Next time she refuses to do her job (because she will, let's be honest) and get thrown to jail again for comptent can they throw them along with her? Or get disbarred or something?

Hylian7

I just watched the video....

...fucking Eye of the Tiger playing in front of a cheering crowd and then she spews her illogical bullshit. It makes me so fucking angry that this shit is STILL fucking celebrated in this country. Fucking gross.

Not sure about the laws in Kentucky, but back-to-back contempt of court violations usually = up to 6 months in jail pending the results of a jury trial.

So, if this stupid lady decides to keep blocking gay marriage certificates, this stupid lady will go away for a few months until she's tried in court.

Considering her attitude, I would tell the jail to keep her cell on standby.

Maybe next time she'll have to spend time over a 4 day weekend, like Thanksgiving, instead of this weak 3 day weekend Labor day commie bullshit she doesn't care about.

Not sure about the laws in Kentucky, but back-to-back contempt of court violations usually = up to 6 months in jail pending the results of a jury trial.

So, if this stupid lady decides to keep blocking gay marriage certificates, this stupid lady will go away for a few months until she's tried in court.

Considering her attitude, I would tell the jail to keep her cell on standby.

OOO .... so they could hold her for more than just contempt then. Can someone confirm this?

Piggus

I just watched the video....

...fucking Eye of the Tiger playing in front of a cheering crowd and then she spews her illogical bullshit. It makes me so fucking angry that this shit is STILL fucking celebrated in this country. Fucking gross.

It's pretty sad, but these shitbags aren't the majority in any sense. Like the racists of old, just point and laugh at their stupidity as they slowly die off and are overtaken by people who are simply better and more compassionate.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
They said she was in there for 6 days. I don't think it was that long.

Jailed on Thursday 3rd, released on Tuesday 8th. That's four full days and two part days. Whether that counts as four or six depends if you are buying or selling.

Hylian7

It's pretty sad, but these shitbags aren't the majority in any sense. Like the racists of old, just point and laugh at their stupidity as they slowly die off and are overtaken by people who are simply better and more compassionate.

They still have a strong influence, regardless of how much of a minority they are. I mean the fact that it took this long to legalize SSM nationwide is a testament to that, and that some of these people actually have a potential chance at being elected/re-elected. It's like how the racists of old never really "died off", and we still see the ramifications of that today with things like cops murdering innocent black people, while white people on social media try to find ways to demonize the victim.

Cheebo

Banned
I don't understand. So judge released her saying she understood she has to comply but she says she still won't comply?

Can't wait until the fox news audience dies of old age. Sadly that also includes my dad but he supports all this bullshit as well.

psylah

5 days away from Netflix and they play Eye of the Tiger for overcoming such a struggle.

Truth is they would've let her out in 2-3 if it wasn't the weekend. People have spent longer locked up for minor misdemeanors. Eye of the Tiger? Gimme a break.

I don't understand. So judge released her saying she understood she has to comply but she says she still won't comply?

It appears to be a good-faith effort to give her another chance to comply, which I'm totally fine with. I'm not thrilled with the timing, given the stupid rally that occurred today, but I'm fine with the judge deciding to release her.

Judges generally don't seem to relish the opportunity to throw people in jail for contempt, and that's a good thing, IMO. The judge is clearly trying to be as magnanimous as possible, which will only make it more obvious how irrational and irresponsible Davis is being when she ends up in jail again.

Zoe

It appears to be a good-faith effort to give her another chance to comply, which I'm totally fine with. I'm not thrilled with the timing, given that stupid rally that occurred today, but I'm fine with the judge deciding to release her.

Judges generally don't seem to relish the opportunity to throw people in jail for contempt, and that's a good thing, IMO.

Probably for the best so there wouldn't be a repeat on another day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom