• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Tupac to Rosa Parks: KY county clerk Kim Davis says "Only God can judge me now"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
COaEgPoU8AESYv7.png:large

http://postimage.org/

Cheebo

Banned
In such a small rural area I am sure any gay couple who wanted a license has gotten it during the mania of her in jail. It might be a long while till another comes in I suppose. Long after this falls out of the news.

I don't want to see this woman in jail indefinitely. I respect that she is principled.

I do not respect her principles though and nor should I have to. I'm fine with the rules being changed to appease her so long as people wanting to get married can stroll into where she works and without jumping through any idiotic hoops, leave with a marriage license.

Honestly. I'm cool with that even if some people see that as a 'win' for her. No, the *win* is that people can get married without having to drive to another county because of someone else 'religion'. I don't need a pound of flesh.

That's what they should be looking to fast track. Change the rules so she doesn't have to sign any marriage licenses, but that they have to employee more than enough people who will to ensure people are not discriminated against.

In a few years, almost every churches will have stopped be filling peoples heads with this crap. It's going to be rough before we get there.

In such a small rural area I am sure any gay couple who wanted a license has gotten it during the mania of her in jail. It might be a long while till another comes in I suppose. Long after this falls out of the news.

No one should have to plan when and where they get their wedding license around the potentially shifting religious beliefs of an elected official. NO ONE.

Cheebo

Banned
I agree. I am just saying due to how small this county is it may be a very long time before we see whether she follows the judges orders when he released her. And by that point this will be long out of national news potentially so we may never know nationally how it played it out.

Remember, she is not the only clerk who holds this absurd stance and is refusing to issue licenses it is just she is the only one who got the attention of the media.

Damaniel

Banned
I don't want to see this woman in jail indefinitely. I respect that she is principled.

I do not respect her principles though and nor should I have to. I'm fine with the rules being changed to appease her so long as people wanting to get married can stroll into where she works and without jumping through any idiotic hoops, leave with a marriage license.

It still sets a bad example to let someone defy rulings that go all the way to the Supreme Court, while denying subordinates willing to perform the duty the opportunity.

They shouldn't change the rules to appease her, even if they could - she's been asked to perform a legal task by every level of court in the land, so she needs to do what she's legally obligated to do. If she allows subordinates to perform the duty without interference then I'd consider that to be acceptable, but the legislature should dock her pay by an amount proportional to the time she normally spends on processing marriage licenses. That won't happen, of course - she's probably got more support than opposition in their state legislature anyway.

zeemumu

Only God can judge her? I think not, I'm totally judging her right now.

One shot
Everything rides on to-night
Even if I got three strikes, Imma go for it
This moment, we own it.

The judgement of random people on the internet is worth about as much as the judgement of of a crazy person in an insane asylum. They could be right, but with their track record you stopped listening to them a long time ago.

I agree. I am just saying due to how small this county is it may be a very long time before we see whether she follows the judges orders when he released her. And by that point this will be long out of national news potentially so we may never know nationally how it played it out.

On the contrary, I'd say we're going to know this very rapidly. She has to issue licenses ro anyone who fits the requirement, whether they're a resident of the county or not. If, tomorrow, a couple from New York shows up asking for a license, she's not allowed to object.

Since she made national news, I imagine there will be no shortage of people applying for licenses at her office.

Aselith

She was ordered to issue licences, there aren't many jobs where you can be hired/elected to do something and then told not to interfere with someone else who will do your job for you when you claim it is against whatever faith you hold.

She is being paid $80k to defy the supreme court and disregard whatever parts of the constitution she doesn't agree with.

The judge is not a giant asshole that's going to be a stickler to the law. As long as the licenses are being issued from the appropriate office in that county, he will be satisfied. The problem was she was blocking the licenses from being issued also. Her making a good wage just doesn't factor into this.

NIGHT-

"How long unitl Mike Huckabee is Kim Davis' 5th husband and they go off and open up a Chick-Fil-A franchise together?"

I know i shouldn't let it, but this lady and her followers really make my blood boil. Never seen such ignorance. This isn't commentary on her beliefs, its commentary on their ignorance towards not GETTING why she was jailed. Simple minds will carve complex things down to simple things. It will take embarrassment or someone doing the same towards her for her to finally get why public figures have to be impartial.

I'd rather her not waste taxpayers money and have her sit in the office while gay people come in and get married while she can't do shit.

That's far more delicious - the fact that she doesn't have to compromise her morals or whatever, but you know she doesn't want gay people to get married at all. It'll eat at her.

HylianTom

Banned
Survivor frontman Frankie Sullivan apparently doesn't want to be associated with Huckabee or Davis..

http://www.tmz.com/2015/09/08/kim-davis-eye-of-the-tiger-survivor-mike-huckabee-rally/

Survivor frontman Frankie Sullivan is outraged Mike Huckabee carted out the freshly-freed Rowan County clerk Kim Davis to their song, "Eye of the Tiger," and we've learned the group is now considering a lawsuit.

A sobbing Davis appeared in Grayson, Kentucky, arm-in-arm with Huckabee, as the song roared through the loud speakers.

The group is hedging on its plan of attack, but the band's rep tells us they are determined to protect the integrity of their music.

Huckabee obviously didn't hear about the whole "Rockin' in a Free World" thing.

HA!

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Gonna ask my niece that question..she was born with it, thanks to her father. She was clearly complicit. That hetero bastard..

God doesn't differentiate between individuals in a blood line when it comes to sin and punishment. Sins of ancestors affect everyone down the line. "Sins of the father" and such. Religion is great isn't it?

Hahahah she cried and then Huckabee started tearing up.

These people are so delusional and pathetic. I hope she go back to work and tries not to issue licenses again and is jailed again.

HylianTom

Banned
Virtually the only music Republican candidates can use without seriously pissing off the artists is country music. And Meat Loaf.

Remember how pissed off Heart was when the McCain campaign was using "Barracuda" at Palin events? That was amusing.

We're at the point where as soon as I hear music at a GOP rally, part of my mind wonders about the rights, haha..

Spladam

One shot
Everything rides on to-night
Even if I got three strikes, Imma go for it
This moment, we own it.

The judgement of random people on the internet is worth about as much as the judgement of of a crazy person in an insane asylum. They could be right, but with their track record you stopped listening to them a long time ago.

I was joking dude. I have the empathy skills to know where she comes from with this, and I think a large part of it is indoctrinated bigotry, which only serves to make her life more difficult. I don't hate, I just try to understand and wish we, as a whole and as humans, made more effort towards empathy and understanding of others and their ways.

It still sets a bad example to let someone defy rulings that go all the way to the Supreme Court, while denying subordinates willing to perform the duty the opportunity.

They shouldn't change the rules to appease her, even if they could - she's been asked to perform a legal task by every level of court in the land, so she needs to do what she's legally obligated to do. If she allows subordinates to perform the duty without interference then I'd consider that to be acceptable, but the legislature should dock her pay by an amount proportional to the time she normally spends on processing marriage licenses. That won't happen, of course - she's probably got more support than opposition in their state legislature anyway.

I think some punishment is warranted. I just can't agree to 'prison until she agrees to resign or sign the licenses' and then justify her indefinite imprisonment with 'well she obviously *wants* to make a martyr out of her self'.

I can't know if she is a bigot who was attracted to a denomination she could hide behind, or a true believer of what her church spouts.

But in my eyes, once you start talking about 'they shouldn't change the rules to appease her' you start sounding bitter. There is an issue if you are locking someone up indefinitely because they find it impossible to go against their religious beliefs. In this case that issue is very simply solved by changing a law below the federal level.

I don't care if she walks away feeling like she won or not, so long as people can get marriage licenses. If I knew her personally and felt her to be excusing her bigotry with religion I might feel different.

But that's between her and her God.

We *know* that people will literally choose death over renouncing their religious beliefs.

And we know that there is an issue when there is nothing the court can do but put her in prison over this. It's not the sort of crap you should be throwing people in prison for.

I firmly believe in separation of church and state, and Kim Davis should definitely ask herself if she can work for the state when she puts religious law over federal law... but there is no law that can *force* her to make that choice currently.

If Kim Davis's local church didn't happen to push this stuff, maybe this never happens. Neither of us can weigh that up. If 20% of the people who used to be against gay marriage ten years ago are now for it, were they hateful people using their religious beliefs to excuse their bigotry? Or were they just people taken in by what was being preached from the pulpit.

And what's being preached from the pulpit will change. It might take a while, but it will change. The death blow has been struck on this issue. There will be push back. There will be clawing of teeth. There will be the agonizingly slow drawn out death rattle... whether we put Kim Davis in prison or not.

You want to keep martyring her and sending more and more people rushing to her defence? You want to make it a regular fixture of stump speeches for someone who could just be one Democratic Party scandal away from the white house?

Knock yourself out. Tying your self to your principles, no matter what... doesn't sit well on Kim or anyone else. Religious freedom is hugely important to me as an atheist. Just as people ask of the religious 'Would you be okay with Kim Davis if she was a Sunni refusing to help someone that wasn't wearing a hijab?' I can ask you 'Would you be happy to see someone thrown in jail for their Atheism, or Judaism?'.

I'm not okay with either... and I'm not okay with how much support the so called 'religious freedom laws' which are anything but, have bolstered as a result of all this.

Let her not have to sign the licenses. Make it so that they have to have someone there who will whenever she is working. Let people get their marriage licenses from wherever, whenever. I'd have zero expectation as a straight person that I could march into a town hall and demand for any specific person to sign the license. But I should be able to go into any town hall and get a signed license.

If you can swallow 'Kim Davis getting what she wants' there are ways to ensure that people can get married, and that people can still feel free to attend Church's like the one she does. And you can take solace knowing which direction the country is headed and the picture history will paint.

Putting her in prison has let her draw parallels between herself and Rosa Parks and MLK. We didn't put the bus driver in prison for demanding Rosa Parks move. Nor did we put the CEO of the bus company in prison for it.

It didn't save their reputations and it didn't prevent the civil rights movement from marching forwards.

I think some punishment is warranted. I just can't agree to 'prison until she agrees to resign or sign the licenses' and then justify her indefinite imprisonment with 'well she obviously *wants* to make a martyr out of her self'.

I can't know if she is a bigot who was attracted to a denomination she could hide behind, or a true believer of what her church spouts.

But in my eyes, once you start talking about 'they shouldn't change the rules to appease her' you start sounding bitter. There is an issue if you are locking someone up indefinitely because they find it impossible to go against their religious beliefs. In this case that issue is very simply solved by changing a law below the federal level.

I don't care if she walks away feeling like she won or not, so long as people can get marriage licenses. If I knew her personally and felt her to be excusing her bigotry with religion I might feel different.

But that's between her and her God.

We *know* that people will literally choose death over renouncing their religious beliefs.

And we know that there is an issue when there is nothing the court can do but put her in prison over this. It's not the sort of crap you should be throwing people in prison for.

I firmly believe in separation of church and state, and Kim Davis should definitely ask herself if she can work for the state when she puts religious law over federal law... but there is no law that can *force* her to make that choice currently.

If Kim Davis's local church didn't happen to push this stuff, maybe this never happens. Neither of us can weigh that up. If 20% of the people who used to be against gay marriage ten years ago are now for it, were they hateful people using their religious beliefs to excuse their bigotry? Or were they just people taken in by what was being preached from the pulpit.

And what's being preached from the pulpit will change. It might take a while, but it will change. The death blow has been struck on this issue. There will be push back. There will be clawing of teeth. There will be the agonizingly slow drawn out death rattle... whether we put Kim Davis in prison or not.

You want to keep martyring her and sending more and more people rushing to her defence? You want to make it a regular fixture of stump speeches for someone who could just be one Democratic Party scandal away from the white house?

Knock yourself out. Tying your self to your principles, no matter what... doesn't sit well on Kim or anyone else. Religious freedom is hugely important to me as an atheist. Just as people ask of the religious 'Would you be okay with Kim Davis if she was a Sunni refusing to help someone that wasn't wearing a hijab?' I can ask you 'Would you be happy to see someone thrown in jail for their Atheism, or Judaism?'.

I'm not okay with either... and I'm not okay with how much support the so called 'religious freedom laws' which are anything but, have bolstered as a result of all this.

Let her not have to sign the licenses. Make it so that they have to have someone there who will whenever she is working. Let people get their marriage licenses from wherever, whenever. I'd have zero expectation as a straight person that I could march into a town hall and demand for any specific person to sign the license. But I should be able to go into any town hall and get a signed license.

If you can swallow 'Kim Davis getting what she wants' there are ways to ensure that people can get married, and that people can still feel free to attend Church's like the one she does. And you can take solace knowing which direction the country is headed and the picture history will paint.

Putting her in prison has let her draw parallels between herself and Rosa Parks and MLK. We didn't put the bus driver in prison for demanding Rosa Parks move. Nor did we put the CEO of the bus company in prison for it.

It didn't save their reputations and it didn't prevent the civil rights movement from marching forwards.

What Davis wants is to ban gay marriage. Spending time and money to rewrite local law to appease a bigot will only strengthen her resolve. Giving into her delusions will make her even more intractable and cause her to become the beacon of hope to all those that also want to bam gay marriage.

So no, I completely disagree with you. She should continue to be jailed if she continues to refuse to do her job.

HylianTom

Banned
The latest poll from Rasmussen out this morning shows that the public is against her, 66-26.

She can grandstand and attempt to draw all the civil rights parallels she wants. Thus far, after all of this media coverage, it is not working - the general public is not buying the sob story she's selling.

If anyone has trouble with how the marriage licensing process works in Kentucky, it might behoove you to direct your ire towards the entities responsible for setting-up the process: the legislature and governor. The judge had limited options.

What Davis wants is to ban gay marriage. Spending time and money to rewrite local law to appease a bigot will only strengthen her resolve. Giving into her delusions will make her even more intractable and cause her to become the beacon of hope to all those that also want to bam gay marriage.

So no, I completely disagree with you. She should continue to be jailed if continues to refuse to do her job.

You have no proof that she is a bigot.

I know that her imprisonment has brought more people rallying to her cause.

You see a bad person with bad beliefs and you want to see them punished. I don't care how many beacons of hope people who want gay marriage banned have. I want gay marriage to remain legal. Making it so that Kim Davis no longer has sole authority over who can get marriage licenses in her jurisdiction *facilitates* marriages. Just let it go.

Maybe she's a bigot. Maybe she's just a religious nut. Whatever.

We don't need more people in jail for frivolous reasons, and it's been rather odd seeing so many of my fellow liberals suddenly drop that valid goal. Stop looking at it punitively. That is how conservatives look at things. Look at it from a social perspective.

Get this woman out of the news and get the marriage licenses flowing.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This shines a light more on how far right the radicals have jumped, and less so about everyone else that their politicians can run about and have this kind of controversy front and center to their political positions

xbhaskarx

The latest poll from Rasmussen out this morning shows that the public is against her, 66-26.

She can grandstand and attempt to draw all the civil rights parallels she wants. Thus far, after all of this media coverage, it is not working - the general public is not buying the sob story she's selling.

But she was up 1 - 0 when the polled Jesus.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Reading stuff that Huckabee and Cruz said about this, it's scary how such imbeciles can be in power. My goodness.

I don't know if it's fair or doable, but IMO a law that states people who base their day-to-day lives and day-to-day principles on religion should not be allowed positions of power would make this country better off. I don't know how someone's level of faith could be proven or measured, to do such a thing. It may be impossible.

It's just dangerous, because otherwise, you are essentially absent common sense and logic with decision-makers, and you have these decision-markers wanting to enact their own sense of warped morality based on some ancient book whose "teachings" are subjective, and whose authors nobody met.

You see a bad person with bad beliefs and you want to see them punished. I don't care how many beacons of hope people who want gay marriage banned have. I want gay marriage to remain legal. Making it so that Kim Davis no longer has sole authority over who can get marriage licenses in her jurisdiction *facilitates* marriages. Just let it go.

We don't need more people in jail for frivolous reasons, and it's been rather odd seeing so many of my fellow liberals suddenly drop that valid goal. Stop looking at it punitively. That is how conservatives look at things. Look at it from a social perspective.

She wasn't in jail for "frivolous reasons," or for purely punitive purposes. She was in jail because she wasn't going to stop preventing her staff from issuing marriage licenses.

I don't want Kim Davis in jail. I really don't. But if putting her in jail is the only way to stop her from blocking her employees from issuing marriage licenses, what other choice does the judge have?

Cyan

Banned
She chose jail over allowing gay marriages to go forward. I'm not sure what more you're looking for.

It's not something that matters much anyway. She's perfectly free to be a bigot in her heart as long as she allows her deputies to continue to issue licenses.

She went to jail for a good reason, because she had no intention of letting any marriage licenses flow thus breaking the law.

Darksol

I think I got banned once for calling someone a cunt, but I'm willing to risk it: she's a cunt. The only bright side to her getting out of prison is that we'll get to witness her going back there soon enough.

Christine

I have a hard time seeing the justification for changing state law to accommodate her. She's the boss of her office and was always completely empowered to design accommodations for herself with respect to conflicts between her religious convictions w/r/t her duties. She can't make a government office act illegally because she doesn't like the law, and at some level push has to come to shove. Otherwise we would call them "Court Suggestions".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom