• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Tupac to Rosa Parks: KY county clerk Kim Davis says "Only God can judge me now"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

When is she returning to work?

Davis, who plans to return to work on Monday, said any marriage licenses issued without her authority are not valid. Deputy Clerk Brian Mason said Wednesday that if he has to, he will disobey his boss and continue issuing licenses rather than refuse the orders of U.S. District Judge David Bunning.

Yrael

And now the Oath Keepers are getting "involved":

Oath Keepers put ‘boots on the ground’ to guard oath-breaking Kim Davis from ‘dictator’ judge

I feel like I fell down some stairs and woke up in a pop gaf thread.

tumblr_nu6mqrioes1qiuiebo1_540.jpg

(I found the edited Kim Davis video completely hilarious though. xD)

Amalthea

Banned
Millions have been killed because Christians forced their lifestyle on the whole world.
And then those fuckers posture to indirectly say: "We will be ready to force our Christian mindset on everybody with violence again if people that don't agree with us are allowed to live their lives free and equal."

Those fundamentalists can be happy hell doesn't exist or that their ancestors created a society where people who run around with guns because an invisible man gave them orders to do so aren't put away and given heavy meds.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Id really rather not see a bunch of armed bigots shooting at cops to try and prevent them from upholding the law.
Obviously, I don't want anyone to get hurt, but I don't think they'll do shit. Someone needs to call them out on their bs. Letting them keep doing this is only going to cause more trouble.

Link

The Autumn Wind
These idiots are worked up over no trial by jury. Do they understand why she was thrown in jail? Do they know that intimidating a judge is a crime?
No they don't. They're just another example of idiots screaming about the Constitution as a cover for their backwards views. They don't know shit about the Constitution or the laws of this country.

Judges aren't required to perform marriages in her state so, no, I don't have a problem with what the judge did. I'd be fine with a judge not performing marriages just because they didn't feel like it.

That situation isn't comparable to the Davis case.

I feel like no one has any idea what you're trying to say. What is it you're trying to say here man?

Well if you look it's obvious to at least some people:

It's certainly an interesting rebuttal to the handful of people upthread who suggested the response would be completely different if it didn't fit a certain agenda.

Looks like the majority response was the same there as here. "You're a public servant, do your job."

However it seems that neogaf, while largely similar opinions got "less smart" since 2012 about people doing their jobs.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
People tend to react less viscerally when people they don't like for other reasons are wronged. Film at 11.

I mean really, it feels like you're pulling straws to catch GAF in some kind of "gotcha" here.

Tripon

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — A Kentucky county clerk who was recently jailed for denying same-sex couples marriage licenses filed an appeal Friday that asks for another delay in issuing the licenses.

Attorneys for Kim Davis, who objects to gay marriage on religious grounds, argued in their motion to the Sixth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals that all the same-sex couples who sued Davis for a license received one from her deputies while she was in jail. Therefore, they said, her office should not be required to issue them to any more couples once she returns to work.

U.S. District Court Judge David Bunning wrote that his mandate to issue licenses applied to all couples, not only those who filed suit. But Davis' lawyers allege that order was issued improperly, and again have asked for a delay.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/e4d8...-clerk-again-asks-delay-gay-marriage-licenses

Ayt

Banned
However it seems that neogaf, while largely similar opinions got "less smart" since 2012 about people doing their jobs.

Your argument is idiotic since the situations aren't comparable. In one case, the law was clearly broken. In the other, it clearly was not.

If a judge was required by law to perform marriage ceremonies and refused, you might have point. But that isn't what happened in the example you provided.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Well if you look it's obvious to at least some people:

Okay, this clerk does not perform marriages. She issues marriage licenses. A marriage license is essentially an approved request to marry. Acquiring a marriage license does not make you married.

Once you have a marriage license, you hold the marriage ceremony, and whoever officiated your wedding has the duty of filing your marriage certificate with the applicable recording agency in your county. That marriage certificate, which documents that you are legally married, is then issued to you. If the official fails to file your marriage with the county, it does not invalidate your marriage, but it does make it more difficult to document and prove legally (just like it's hard for you to document citizenship by birth without a birth certificate).

The marriage ceremonies themselves are officiated by a justice of the peace, a judge, rabbi, priest, some other religious figurehead. Signatures are provided by the wedded, witnesses, and the official documenting the marriage, and get filed as part of the certificate.

So:

1. It is a clerk's duty to deal with the paperwork documenting the intent to marry, and the recording of marriage certificates filed by registered officiants. This is part of Kim Davis's job. It has nothing to do with marrying people. It's clerical work, recordkeeping and filing

2. Clerks and judges may also be registered officiants who perform the marriages if they so wish, but they do not have to. The judge you referenced abstains from performing marriages until he can do so for everyone.

No one should have to plan getting their marriage license around the hours that some religious zealot is working. Yes, it's a small inconvenience, but it's one that no one should have to deal with.

Kim needs to read her bible and realize that what the state recognizes as marriage has absolutely nothing to do with whether you get into heaven or not, and instead relates to stuff like tax breaks and bereavement days.

neshcom

Banned
This is such hot garbage.

Not only are her attorneys aware that the religious liberties argument doesn't work, they're now literally arguing she doesn't have the responsibility of issuing licenses. By trying to draw the line in the sand at the four couples that sued her, they're saying it is wholly her discretion when the office does and does not issue licenses--the most indefensible angle to take.

And with the Oath Keepers at her back, she's spearheaded (ironically) a movement to pick and choose what parts of the constitution and law to uphold.

#FucKY

Wilsongt

This is such hot garbage.

Not only are her attorneys aware that the religious liberties argument doesn't work, they're now literally arguing she doesn't have the responsibility of issuing licenses. By trying to draw the line in the sand at the four couples that sued her, they're saying it is wholly her discretion when the office does and does not issue licenses--the most indefensible angle to take.

And with the Oath Keepers at her back, she's spearheaded (ironically) a movement to pick and choose what parts of the constitution and law to uphold.

#FucKY

Her lawyer is a dumbfuck that called gays demonic and all shit like that.

Kim Davis is just the new Cliven Bundy until the right wing finds another sacrificial lamb to rally around.

Her lawyer is a dumbfuck that called gays demonic and all shit like that.

Kim Davis is just the new Cliven Bundy until the right wing finds another sacrificial lamb to rally around.

She's paying him though....probably just using the money she's receiving as donations.

Wilsongt

She's paying him though....probably just using the money she's receiving as donations.

Probably because no other lawyer in their right mind would touch this case with a ten-foot pole. Which is why she got representation from the only group with lawyers fighting against the supreme court lol.

She could have gotten Jack Thompson to represent her and it would have been about the same.

neshcom

Banned
Probably because no other lawyer in their right mind would touch this case with a ten-foot pole. Which is why she got representation from the only group with lawyers fighting against the supreme court lol.

She could have gotten Jack Thompson to represent her and it would have been about the same.

Maybe she's playing the long game. Take her shitty lawyer's shitty advice until she's put in her shitty place and then sue the lawyers for unethical legal advice.

This been posted yet?

AAedZM0.img

A non-profit organization that advocates for LGBTQ rights has a big message for Rowan County (Kentucky) clerk Kim Davis — a message that is the size of a billboard, to be exact.

Planting Peace erected a billboard in Davis' hometown of Morehead, Ky., that reads: "Dear Kim Davis, The fact that you can't sell your daughter for three goats and a cow means we've already redefined marriage."
Link Here for full story

old

What's to stop her from firing everybody first thing Monday morning then breaking the order? She'll be in jail but there won't be anybody left to issue new licenses. Can someone other than the clerk hire deputies? Can a judge cancel a deputies termination?

She's already said she's not got to issue them. I wonder how much more trouble she can cause.

One of the office clerks in local court system is wearing an I'm not Kim Davis shirt to make fun of her and the situation.

http://news.yahoo.com/clerk-denied-gay-marriage-licenses-goes-back-082558362.html

I think that's a pretty funny view to take of a university. "If it wasn't for the university trying to make you think, I wouldn't have to think about this."

Universities and schools are the traditional source of social change, thats why knowledge was often kept from the public if and when possible.

Monocle

One of the office clerks in local court system is wearing an I'm not Kim Davis shirt to make fun of her and the situation.

http://news.yahoo.com/clerk-denied-gay-marriage-licenses-goes-back-082558362.html

The university's influence (Morehead State) has been a source of frustration for some religious conservatives, including Randy Smith, an evangelist who has lived in Morehead since he was 12. If not for Morehead State, the community would have no issues with Davis or her actions, he said. Now, the situation is "forcing people to address an underlying issue that's been here for a long time."

"I think what a lot of it is the community wants things to go back to normalcy. But oftentimes if things go back to normalcy it means somebody has got to give up something," he said. "I think you will see more same-sex people out and they won't be as discreet as they once were in this community. And I think you will probably have more Christians that will possibly look upon that with some disdain."

I think that's a pretty funny view to take of a university. "If it wasn't for the university trying to make you think, I wouldn't have to think about this."
Oh noes. It's just like me, a gay atheist, noticing Christians wearing crosses all the time. This grave contravention of my personal beliefs is a truly excruciating trial that I endure nearly every day, and frankly I'm astonished I haven't buckled under such a mighty burden. These people might as well get down on their knees and pray right in front of me!

Now Christians will experience the same agony when they see loving same-sex couples walking around in public. What a blow for them. Life is cruel.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
WSJ on the other shitheads doing this:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/other-state-officials-say-no-to-same-sex-marriage-1442161531

In North Carolina, all four magistrates in rural McDowell County have recused themselves from performing civil wedding ceremonies for any couples. The moves are allowed under a state law passed in June that allows certain public officials to avoid marriage duties if they have religious objections. So far, 32 magistrates across the state—about 5% of the total—have done so, according to the state Administrative Office of the Courts.

MrHoot

"Choose your job or choose your faith."

No, CNN. This isn't a personal decision. This is a public official using her position to impose her personal will upon the public, with no basis in the rule of law.

Especially in a country with separation between church and state. It's really not a hard choice.

Oh man, part of me kinda wants to see her and her cronies resist arrest and come up with whatever excuse of "B-but it's not bigotry" tomorrow. Although I will admit it is extremely petty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom