• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Tupac to Rosa Parks: KY county clerk Kim Davis says "Only God can judge me now"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis to return to work Friday or Monday

MOREHEAD — An employee in the office of the Kentucky clerk who was released from jail after a five-day stint for contempt says workers there will issue marriage licenses Wednesday while their boss is still out of the office.

Lawyers for Rowan County clerk Kim Davis say she will return to work Friday or Monday.

In the meantime, deputy clerk Brian Mason says the office will issues licenses Wednesday in Davis’ absence if anyone seeks them. He said that even if his boss tells him to stop issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples, he will tell her he can’t obey her and will instead follow a judge’s order.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
honestly, she can't do shit. I'd imagine the penalties would be much stiffer if she either refused licenses or obstructed them from being issued in any way.

23fk0P5.jpg

Link

The Autumn Wind
George Takei said:
If she had denied marriage certificates to an interracial couple, would people cheer her? Would presidential candidates flock to her side?
Yes, George Takei. Yes they would. Likely the same people that are standing by her side now. They're horrible, hateful bigots.

Wonder what happens if she tries to fire the deputies defying her orders.

I would guess that technically she might still have the power to do so.

I can't watch that video. That dumb cunt thinking she has "won" makes me irrationally want to break things.

Of course she's going to somehow think she won - she's a delusional, religious zealot - but gay couples got their licenses and she ended up in jail, and now she can't interfere with her office issuing further licenses to gay couples. We know who won here.

Air

Banned
I haven't been following this so excuse my ignorance, but they can't just fire her? Can someone elucidate the situation for me?

Brashnir

I haven't been following this so excuse my ignorance, but they can't just fire her? Can someone elucidate the situation for me?

She's an elected official, she can't be "fired" until her office is up for election again, at which point the voters can fire her.

Such a deeply disturbing photo of her in victory pose when her life is nothing but a failure at this point.

Yeah it is extremely sad and disconcerting that someone can be involved in this kind of prejudice and then have this sort of celebration when she's released from jail. Like good job on going to jail in the first place dumbass.

Christine

Hey guys don't pile on it's not like the title refers to the FAQ anymore. This is not to say that reading the OP is not always advised, because it is.

BriGuy

She's an elected official, she can't be "fired" until her office is up for election again, at which point the voters can fire her.
I wouldn't hold my breath. She's going to be re-elected in landslide victories until she retires or is raptured on up to heaven by white American Jesus.

Arkeband

Banned
So she is going back to her position but still doesn't agree to issue the marriage licenses?

She'll probably lock herself in her office on Friday and then after spending Sunday in church being hailed as a hero she'll have found renewed vigor to man the counter once again and deny service.

mr_nexus

Banned
Will they still impeach her in January even if she still causes no more trouble? I hate that picture of her with her hands in the air acting like she won. Gays will still get married and there isn't damn thing she can do about it.

Zoe

Seems to me like some fucking laws needs to b changed with firing elected officials

There are procedures to follow, depending on the jurisdiction. In this case, the legislature would need to convene and impeach her.

The governor has already said the costs of calling a special session don't justify impeaching 3 county clerks when there are 117 other clerks available who can perform the same task.

LiK

Fucking scary if govt officials can use their positions to discriminate because of "religious freedom". This is not something that should be supported. Huckabee is such an asshat.

LTWood12

Fucking scary if govt officials can use their positions to discriminate because of "religious freedom". This is not something that should be supported. Huckabee is such an asshat.

It makes me cringe as an Arkansan every time he's introduced as the 'former governor of Arkansas.'

An opportunistic asshat. He, and Cruz, are just using this to play for poll numbers with the religious right. He, and those like him, would love nothing less than a full on theocracy.

It's laughable, and it will never happen. It's all part of the GOP primary circus.

Cruz, an extremely educated attorney who served as a clerk for Chief Justice Rehnquist, knows perfectly well that Davis' argument is complete bullshit and she has no legal ground to stand on. But Cruz, in typical Cruz fashion, is pretending otherwise purely for (perceived) political gain. That's just the kind of cynical asshat he is.

Huckabee, on the other hand, is a genuine doofus, and I think he absolutely believes the inane nonsense he's been spewing about the Constitution and the powers of the Supreme Court.

Cruz, an extremely educated attorney who served as a clerk for Chief Justice Rehnquist, knows perfectly well that Davis' argument is complete bullshit and she has no legal ground to stand on. But Cruz, in typical Cruz fashion, is pretending otherwise purely for (perceived) political gain. That's just the kind of cynical asshat he is.

Huckabee, on the other hand, is a genuine doofus, and I think he absolutely believes the inane nonsense he's been spewing about the Constitution and the powers of the Supreme Court.

Luckily, Shepard Smith isn't having any of this shit. He's like the only member of FOX that I can actually stand, but even then with his "Hucakbee will have a similar view to mine" crap it's basically out the window at this point.

Cat Party

I'm certain she will resign soon. It's her only move other than fading into obscurity or going back to jail. She will claim that she won the battle for religious freedom, and become a fixture on the right wing circuit for the 2016 campaign. Speaking engagements, TV appearances, etc. Obviously she'll speak at the convention.

Luckily, Shepard Smith isn't having any of this shit. He's like the only member of FOX that I can actually stand, but even then with his "Hucakbee will have a similar view to mine" crap it's basically out the window at this point.

I'm kinda confused how Shepard is still on FOX, he clearly doesn't fit the mold of what FOX tries to push and constantly has views that are outside of the normal ideology of most FOX viewers.

Brashnir

I'm certain she will resign soon. It's her only move other than fading into obscurity or going back to jail. She will claim that she won the battle for religious freedom, and become a fixture on the right wing circuit for the 2016 campaign. Speaking engagements, TV appearances, etc. Obviously she'll speak at the convention.

Getting famous and then quitting your job as a public official worked out for Sarah Palin, after all.

Zoe

I'm kinda confused how Shepard is still on FOX, he clearly doesn't fit the mold of what FOX tries to push and constantly has views that are outside of the normal ideology of most FOX viewers.

Having a straight guy enhances the entertainment value.

kirby_fox

Banned
An opportunistic asshat. He, and Cruz, are just using this to play for poll numbers with the religious right. He, and those like him, would love nothing less than a full on theocracy.

It's laughable, and it will never happen. It's all part of the GOP primary circus.

What's funny is that the religious right are seeing through this. A lot of them are, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom