• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frozen is Disney's highest-grossing animated feature

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

Frozen has become Disney's highest-grossing animated feature of all time, dethroning Toy Story 3. It's also in the all-time box office top 10, alongside two other Disney films: Avengers and Iron Man 3.

Disney's PR:

This weekend, Disney’s “Frozen” officially became the highest grossing animated film of all time, and with $1,072.4 million worldwide, it has also entered the list of the top 10 biggest films of all time. The Walt Disney Studios’ seventh billion-dollar release, “Frozen” has earned an estimated $398.4 million at the domestic box office and $674 million internationally.

“Frozen” is the first billion-dollar film for Walt Disney Animation Studios and its first film to receive the Academy Award® for Best Animated Feature. “Frozen” opened wide domestically on November 27, 2013, posting the #1 all-time Thanksgiving debut ($93.6M five-day, $67.4M three-day) and Walt Disney Animation Studios’ biggest opening ever. It remained in the top 10 films at the domestic box office for 16 consecutive weeks, the longest run by any film since 2002.

Internationally, “Frozen” is the biggest Disney or Pixar animated film of all time in 27 territories, including Russia, China, and Brazil. In Korea, where the film has grossed an estimated $77.1 million, “Frozen” was #1 for the first five weeks of release and is the biggest animated film, the second biggest non-local film, and Disney’s biggest release of all time. It’s also the highest-grossing animated film of all time in Denmark and Venezuela. Since its debut March 14 in Japan, “Frozen” has claimed the #1 spot in its first three weekends and continues to play strongly with an estimated $50.5 million to date.

Released on digital February 25 and on disc March 18, “Frozen” is the fastest-selling digital release ever and sold over 3.2 million Blu-ray/DVD units in its first day, putting it on track to be one of the biggest home entertainment sellers in a decade.

The Platinum-certified “Frozen” soundtrack returned to the #1 spot on the Billboard 200 album chart last week for a seventh time with more than 1.6 million copies and over 5 million individual tracks sold. The album has also held the #1 position for five nonconsecutive weeks at Spotify and is approaching 110 million streams worldwide. The Oscar®-winning song “Let It Go” has sold over 2.6 million copies, and the film clip of the song has been viewed over 160 million times on YouTube.

You couldn't have told me ten years ago that Disney's highest selling films would be two Marvel Comics movies and a non-Pixar CG animated film.

EDIT: And Disney's next CG animated film brings both together. Big Hero 6, based on the Marvel comic.
Big-Hero-6-characters.jpg

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Glad for Disney, even if I don't think Frozen was their best work recently, their recent films have all been great.

18-Volt

Wow, they actually managed to pass 1 billion mark. They should have gone for a success streak, Tangled - Wreck it Ralph - Frozen - Big Hero Six - Zootopia, but they're skipping 2015, so there will be a decrease in momentum. So much for a "Renaissance revival".

This confirms that musicals are back.

They actually are not coming back. Disney is staying away from musical numbers in the future. 3 upcoming Disney Animated features, Big Hero 6, Zootopia (2016) and Moana (2018) won't be musicals.

#1. Frozen
$1,072,402,000 Worldwide Box Office

#2. Toy Story 3
$1,063,171,911 Worldwide Box Office

I've been waiting for this momentous occasion. Congratulations to everyone at Walt Disney Animation Studios and The Walt Disney Company for this amazing feat.

Well-deserved.

BlueWord

Good for Disney. I'm happy to see their animation department do so well after so long. That said, and I know I'm at odds with consensus here, but Frozen really failed to live up to all the positive buzz for me. The musical numbers - even, maybe especially, "Let It Go" - were really lackluster compared to older Disney movies. A step in the right direction, with all the ingredients of a Disney Classic, but it just never clicked for me. Not a bad movie, though. Hopefully we see more like it in the future.

18-Volt

101 Dalmations is second when adjusted for inflation? Why did that one make so much?

Re-releases. Most Disney animated movies gets rereleased in every 7-8 years. 101 Dalmatians 1995 rerelease had double box office of 1961 original release.

iammeiam

I rewatched this last night, and... eh. It's really pretty, it had some good ideas, but the lumps and bumps in the story (I'm assuming from the development hell it went through) really stick out on a second viewing. I think I like most of the scenes better in isolation than all strung together as part of the same narrative.

But good for Disney; I'm down for any female-led movies doing well and proving a continuing audience and the ways it does differ from the typical Disney princess stuff are nice. So hurray for that.

They actually are not coming back. Disney is staying away from musical numbers in the future. 3 upcoming Disney Animated features, Big Hero 6, Zootopia (2016) and Moana (2018) won't be musicals.

Never Ever EVER underestimate Disneys ability push them breaks and crank out something to follow current trends.

I mean, hell ... that's why Frozen is CGI (The shitty Frog movie made them wanna stop doing princess movies and do WiR stuff ... but Tangled was such a smashing success that they took the "Proof that 2D is still alive and kicking" movie and turned it into CGI Frozen before silently taking all talk of 2D behind the shed ... )

Hm... I don't recall Moana being announced as NOT a musical. But that one is so far off we really don't know much about it at all.

But I expect a surge of musicals after Zootopia. Considering the length of time these movies are in development, we really won't see the effects of the reaction to Frozen's success until then.

GloveSlap

Never Ever EVER underestimate Disneys ability push them breaks and crank out something to follow current trends.

I mean, hell ... that's why Frozen is CGI (The shitty Frog movie made them wanna stop doing princess movies and do WiR stuff ... but Tangled was such a smashing success that they took the "Proof that 2D is still alive and kicking" movie and turned it into CGI Frozen before silently taking all talk of 2D behind the shed ... )

No doubt. Disney is going to be chasing that "Let It Go" money for the foreseeable future, it will just take some time for that content to materialize.

Hm... I don't recall Moana being announced as NOT a musical. But that one is so far off we really don't know much about it at all.

But I expect a surge of musicals after Zootopia. Considering the length of time these movies are in development, we really won't see the effects of the reaction to Frozen's success until then.

Exactly.

And is there concept art out for Moana? Googled it, got some sexy nude ladies, googled it with "Disney" and I keep seeing pics of Brown girls in rag-dresses :/

#1. Frozen
$1,072,402,000 Worldwide Box Office

#2. Toy Story 3
$1,063,171,911 Worldwide Box Office

I've been waiting for this momentous occasion. Congratulations to everyone at Walt Disney Animation Studios and The Walt Disney Company for this amazing feat.

Well-deserved.

So adjusted for inflation Toy Story 3 did better than Frozen?

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Yeah, these numbers are kinda silly without taking inflation into account. Movie ticket prices rise all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom