• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frozen is Disney's highest-grossing animated feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

andthebeatgoeson

Never Ever EVER underestimate Disneys ability push them breaks and crank out something to follow current trends.

I mean, hell ... that's why Frozen is CGI (The shitty Frog movie made them wanna stop doing princess movies and do WiR stuff ... but Tangled was such a smashing success that they took the "Proof that 2D is still alive and kicking" movie and turned it into CGI Frozen before silently taking all talk of 2D behind the shed ... )
Da fuq?

3N16MA

Banned
They can thank Tangled for all the goodwill it earned them and releasing Frozen at the perfect time (no competition/close to winter) and with a hit song.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Ein Bear

Impressive numbers, and definitely well earned. Not adjusting for inflation always feels a bit like cheating though...

Log4Girlz

Yeah, these numbers are kinda silly without taking inflation into account. Movie ticket prices rise all the time.

It reflects cash in the here and now and is still useful. Adjustments for inflation are tough especially when you factor in international box offices.

They can thank Tangled for all the goodwill it earned them and releasing Frozen at the perfect time (no competition/close to winter) and with a hit song.

Frozen had competition.

Catching Fire and Thor 2.

And Frozen didn't have good opening weekend. It became popular through word of mouth.

Spinluck

Wow, they actually managed to pass 1 billion mark. They should have gone for a success streak, Tangled - Wreck it Ralph - Frozen - Big Hero Six - Zootopia, but they're skipping 2015, so there will be a decrease in momentum. So much for a "Renaissance revival".

They actually are not coming back. Disney is staying away from musical numbers in the future. 3 upcoming Disney Animated features, Big Hero 6, Zootopia (2016) and Moana (2018) won't be musicals.

this is good, i think they should stick to doing them every once and a while.

don't think those upcoming films will gross this much though.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Do You Want to Build a Snowman > Let It Go*

*In terms of earworming.

Also 4 of those silhouettes give me Mega Man style-character vibes.

3N16MA

Banned
Frozen had competition.

Catching Fire and Thor 2.

And Frozen didn't have good opening weekend. It became popular through word of mouth.

Catching Fire and Thor 2 do not hit the same demographic as Frozen. Frozen is a family film where parents take their kids and watch it as a family. It leans a bit more towards young girls but I'm sure there were a bunch of boys who watched it.

It had such strong legs because there was nothing in terms of family films that came close to competing with it.

Frozen opened on a Wednesday and grossed 67M over the weekend and 93M over the 5 days. It beat almost all expectations and opened up very well.

Catching Fire and Thor 2 do not hit the same demographic as Frozen. Frozen is a family film where parents take their kids and watch it as a family. It leans a bit more towards young girls but I'm sure there were a bunch of boys who watched it.

It had such strong legs because there was nothing in terms of family films that came close to competing with it.

Frozen opened on a Wednesday and grossed 67M over the weekend and 93M over the 5 days. It beat almost all expectations and opened up very well.

You do realize parents take there kids to see Thor as well right?

Frozen's opening weekend was much weaker than its weak two and three.

Not to mention Frozen is popular among college girls just as much.

TDLink

I really wonder what Disney is going to do now. They have no musicals on their slate at all...but they can't possibly not do more musicals in the wake of this. Are they going to turn one or more of their upcoming pictures into a musical? (Big Hero 6, Zootopia, or Moana) Are they going to fast track another musical movie for 2015, where they currently have no movie scheduled?

There is no way they don't try to build off of this momentum.

Here in College Station, Frozen was a smashing success! It was still sold out in theatres 1 month in! I know a few people who watched it 5-6 times in theatres.

Big Hero 6, Zootopia and Moana are not the only films WDAS has on the slate. In 2016, it also has Giants, an adaptation of Jack and the Beanstalk which is almost certainly going to be a musical.

Yeah but remove 3D prices and adjust lion king for inflation and it's not even close.

TLK had a 3D release too - I;m not sure if that gets added in to the total, though, since it was so much later.

When I was at Disney last year I saw a bunch of the concept art for Big Hero 6 and it looked gorgeous. Of course, concept art usually does.

1cmanny1

Excellent, I love their recent films. Even if some of you didn't like Frozen, you should be able to agree that Disney are going in the right direction.

TDLink

Big Hero 6, Zootopia and Moana are not the only films WDAS has on the slate. In 2016, it also has Giants, an adaptation of Jack and the Beanstalk which is almost certainly going to be a musical.

I just looked into their slate and it looks like Giants is not confirmed to be a musical. Moana, however, apparently is being planned as one...but that isn't until 2018. Even if Giants hits in 2016 (which is unconfirmed) that is still 3 years from Frozen's release. I think Big Hero 6 or Zootopia really need to be a musical or that momentum is going to be lost. There's definitely still enough time to make either of them into one.

I just looked into their slate and it looks like Giants is not confirmed to be a musical. Moana, however, apparently is being planned as one...but that isn't until 2018. Even if Giants hits in 2016 (which is unconfirmed) that is still 3 years from Frozen's release. I think Big Hero 6 or Zootopia really need to be a musical or that momentum is going to be lost. There's definitely still enough time to make either of them into one.

Frozen was three years after Tangled. That didn't seem to hurt it too much.

Shoehorning musical numbers into Zootopia and particularly Big Hero 6 is a disaster waiting to happen. It needs to be a musical developed from top to bottom, and two years for Zootopia is not enough time for that to happen. Seeing as Big Hero 6 is out later this year, I'm just going to flat ignore that.

I rather suspect that Big Hero 6 is going to bomb, as it goes, but not because it doesn't have musical numbers.

Mistle

They actually are not coming back. Disney is staying away from musical numbers in the future. 3 upcoming Disney Animated features, Big Hero 6, Zootopia (2016) and Moana (2018) won't be musicals.
I heard Moana IS a musical? And perhaps they'll bring it forward, considering Frozens success.

TDLink

Frozen was three years after Tangled. That didn't seem to hurt it too much.

Shoehorning musical numbers into Zootopia and particularly Big Hero 6 is a disaster waiting to happen. It needs to be a musical developed from top to bottom, and two years for Zootopia is not enough time for that to happen. Seeing as Big Hero 6 is out later this year, I'm just going to flat ignore that.

I rather suspect that Big Hero 6 is going to bomb, as it goes, but not because it doesn't have musical numbers.

Frozen is three years after Tangled, but Tangled wasn't the highest grossing animated feature of all time. You might be right that it's a bit late for Big Hero 6, but Zootopia has plenty of time to become a musical. These animated films go through many forms. Frozen didn't even settle on its final direction until the final year. Plus, like I said earlier, there is no 2015 film currently...I would be surprised if something musical isn't fast tracked.

I heard Moana IS a musical? And perhaps they'll bring it forward, considering Frozens success.

Yes, it is.

Likely because it's coming out in a few months yeeet we still haven't even seen the characters or any promotion for it other than that one shot of Frantokyo or w/e.

What's it about? Kid super Heroes? Why all the hush hush?
Same could be said for Home but DW atleast has the "before the movie" even thing showing before Peabody.

TDLink

Likely because it's coming out in a few months yeeet we still haven't even seen the characters or any promotion for it other than that one shot of Frantokyo or w/e.

What's it about? Kid super Heroes? Why all the hush hush?
Same could be said for Home but DW atleast has the "before the movie" even thing showing before Peabody.

In the last few years, at least, Disney has never started promoting their animated film of the year to the public (ie trailers and posters beyond special conferences and conventions) before summer at the earliest. Usually only 3-4 months from release.

3N16MA

Banned
You do realize parents take there kids to see Thor as well right?

Frozen's opening weekend was much weaker than its weak two and three.

Not to mention Frozen is popular among college girls just as much.

Frozen is a purely family film (the category it falls in) and its main target is families with young kids. Thor 2 may have some overlap with Frozen's audience but that does not mean they fall into the same category.

Families made up 81% of Frozen's audience during it's first 5 days while 25 and under registered at 58%. That points to parents and kids making up the mass majority of the audience. Thor 2 on the other hand had families make up 21% of it's audience while couples accounted for 62% of the audience. Only 29% was under the age of 25. That points to many adults and couples watching the film. Frozen skewed to females while Thor 2 to males.

Frozen did 67M on its OW and 93M during the first 5 days. That is the largest 3/5 day Thanksgiving openings of all-time and larger than it's weekend 2/3 totals. I'm not sure if you're looking at the total 7 day week as that is not really the way to look at it since it had its wide release on Wednesday. It had a very limited release during its firs 5 days before the wide release.

Frozen is three years after Tangled, but Tangled wasn't the highest grossing animated feature of all time. You might be right that it's a bit late for Big Hero 6, but Zootopia has plenty of time to become a musical. These animated films go through many forms. Frozen didn't even settle on its final direction until the final year. Plus, like I said earlier, there is no 2015 film currently...I would be surprised if something musical isn't fast tracked.

Yeeeeeaaah, the bolded seems like the most likely thing.

I could see them blasting forward with something for late 2015. Seems more likely than trying to make the Zoo movie (from what I gather it's some anthro cop-and-robber (who was really just framed) into their follow up to a Princess musical.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Hm... I don't recall Moana being announced as NOT a musical. But that one is so far off we really don't know much about it at all.

But I expect a surge of musicals after Zootopia. Considering the length of time these movies are in development, we really won't see the effects of the reaction to Frozen's success until then.

I have zero hope for Moana because it's being done by the same guys that did the steaming pile known as Princess and the Frog.

We didn't get our first look at Frozen until, like, June, and even that was a short which had nothing to do with the plot. Not a cause for concern, honestly.

goldenpp72

Now that's a shame, and really confusing honestly. It's an average (so, decent) movie with almost nothing memorable to it.

Sec0nd

Can't say it's the best animation movie out there. I'm a big fan of Wall-E and Up. But I had a lot of fun watching Frozen and listening to the thousands of covers of Let It Go. So I'm not hatin'.

In the last few years, at least, Disney has never started promoting their animated film of the year to the public (ie trailers and posters beyond special conferences and conventions) before summer at the earliest. Usually only 3-4 months from release.

Yeah, well that normally doesn't happen with Cape films. IS this a cape film to them or is it just an actiony boyish film like WiR?

Not sure... would atleast like to see the characters.

royalan

One of two things will happen from this:

1) Disney will not have learned any lessons from the past on how they soured many of their franchises, and start spamming everything from Frozen to death and back.

2) Or they'll realize that Frozen, while an "Ok" film, was not THAT great and really only exploded the way it did because the internet turned it into a meme. They'll also realize that Frozen's success, despite being a demonstration of the undeniable power of the internet, is also a strong indication that people love and miss Disney's old approach to big-deal, animated musicals. And hopefully, they'll make more of them...unrelated to Frozen. Please god, no more Frozen.

It'll be interesting to see which way they go with this.

Village

Disney is going to do animated marvel flicks in theaters? Thats really cool actually.

On the frozen subject, yeah i can see this hitting all the right spots for people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom