• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frozen is Disney's highest-grossing animated feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bread

Banned
We can make him our best friend.
We can name him Tom or we can name him George!
We can make him tall, or we can make him not so tall.
Snowman!
He'll have a happy face, a happy smile, a happy point of view.
If you build me a snowman, then I'll build one for you!

Village

One of two things will happen from this:

1) Disney will not have learned any lessons from the past on how they soured many of their franchises, and start spamming everything from Frozen to death and back.

2) Or they'll realize that Frozen, while an "Ok" film, was not THAT great and really only exploded the way it did because the internet turned it into a meme. They'll also realize that Frozen's success, despite being a demonstration of the undeniable power of the internet, is also a strong indication that people love and miss Disney's old approach to big-deal, animated musicals. And hopefully, they'll make more of them...unrelated to Frozen. Please god, no more Frozen.

It'll be interesting to see which way they go with this.

You shouldn't really bank on this reasoning, you may find out you are a minority .

zeemumu

EDIT: And Disney's next CG animated film brings both together. Big Hero 6, based on the Marvel comic.
Big-Hero-6-characters.jpg

wonderful-101-wii-u.jpg

Even though the character model silhouettes are completely different and it already has a source material.

TDLink

Yeah, well that normally doesn't happen with Cape films. IS this a cape film to them or is it just an actiony boyish film like WiR?

Not sure... would atleast like to see the characters.

I don't really know what you mean by a "cape film". Wreck it Ralph, like Frozen and Tangled, was also a big November release movie for WDAS. All 3 of the aforementioned films did not get public promotion until 3-4 months from release.

I have zero hope for Moana because it's being done by the same guys that did the steaming pile known as Princess and the Frog.
Regardless of your feelings on The Princess and the Frog, they directed The Little Mermaid and Aladdin as well. I also have a soft spot for Hercules, which they also directed.

18-Volt

I heard Moana IS a musical? And perhaps they'll bring it forward, considering Frozens success.

Musker and Clements were planning to make the movie more Pixar-esque. They didn't want to make another princess movie but yes, Frozen will change their minds and make them visit their past.

The duo started and scrapped many projects in the past decade, from western themed movie to adaptation of Terry Pratchet's Mort. Moana isn't still final decided Musker/Clements project, they can abandon it and start a new one. Failure of Treasure Planet is still a big pressure on these guys.

I don't really know what you mean by a "cape film". Wreck it Ralph, like Frozen and Tangled, was also a big November release movie for WDAS. All 3 of the aforementioned films did not get public promotion until 3-4 months from release.

Cape film as in Super Hero film aka Cap America/ Spider-Man and whatnot. All movies that get popped up far ahead of time.

My understanding of this project was that they wanted to make an animated super hero flick using Marvel's stable ... sooo what, are they just treating this as a WiR attempt at "coolish boyish movie" or wut? I was shocked when I heard it was a 14 release ... kept googling to see if it's been delayed or something. Seems that they're just treating it as a WiR and not a big blockbuster hero flick.

bananas

Banned
I rather suspect that Big Hero 6 is going to bomb, as it goes, but not because it doesn't have musical numbers.

The reason Big Hero 6 is being made, I suspect, is because they want to test their Marvel contract. Big Hero 6 has mutants on the team (hell, one of them was a part of the X-Men), so they and maybe even Big Hero 6 itself can only be used by Fox in a film.

HOWEVER, Marvel's contracts with the other studios is only for live-action films. Marvel, and therefore Disney can still use all their characters in animated films. Up to this point it hasn't been a big deal, because they were only direct-to-DVD releases. This is the first theatrical release for an animated movie based on a Marvel property.

I suspect Fox will sue Disney and depending on who wins will have major significance in regard to Marvel Studios.

If Disney wins, nothing is stopping them from making a Spider-Man or Fantastic Four film that takes place in the MCU. It just has to be completely CGI.

Decado

They actually are not coming back. Disney is staying away from musical numbers in the future. 3 upcoming Disney Animated features, Big Hero 6, Zootopia (2016) and Moana (2018) won't be musicals.
Any of those have a snowball's chance in hell of matching Frozen's numbers?

TDLink

Cape film as in Super Hero film aka Cap America/ Spider-Man and whatnot. All movies that get popped up far ahead of time.

My understanding of this project was that they wanted to make an animated super hero flick using Marvel's stable ... sooo what, are they just treating this as a WiR attempt at "coolish boyish movie" or wut? I was shocked when I heard it was a 14 release ... kept googling to see if it's been delayed or something. Seems that they're just treating it as a WiR and not a big blockbuster hero flick.

I really don't know what you're on about.

Big Hero 6, while a Marvel property, is not a Marvel Studios movie nor does it take place in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It is a Walt Disney Animation Studios movie, just like Wreck it Ralph, Tangled, Frozen, etc. It is a movie involving superheroes but it is not a summer blockbuster, it is the annual animated film from Walt Disney Animation Studios. None of the recent Walt Disney Animation Studios films have been marketed more than 3-4 months in advance of release. In other words, us hearing/seeing very little on the project so far even though it releases this November is entirely normal.

The Marvel Studios films this year are Captain America The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy. Marvel Studios does not make animated films, only live action. Disney owns Marvel, which is why they can use a Marvel property for an animated film.

Espada

Those are some crazy numbers, people went crazy for this film. Personally, I found the film mediocre (for many) reasons and not as good as WiR or Tangled. I wonder if Frozen's runaway success will cause them to drastically alter films in development in order to make them musicals.

It seems far fetched, but I'm sure Disney wants to make that Frozen cash on a regular basis.
I also expect them to milk the HELL out of Frozen, with a sequel being a no brainer

I don't know how anyone can think Elsa is better than anyone else in Frozen. She has barely any personality and really only exists to the whims of the plot.

I didn't mind Frozen, but it's similar to almost every animated movie in the past five years - I forgot watching it practically five minutes after it finished.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I didn't watch it in theaters, I checked it out with my kids last night for movie night. It's legit. I, upon first listening don't think Let It Go is the best song of the movie. First time in Forever stood out as better while watching. Great Disney movie. I think it belongs with the Beauty and the Beasts and Lion Kings.

Amon37

I dont understand why people in this thread are so salty about this.

Its not treading on lion king or toy story so take off your nostalgia and let it have its success.

Its not treading on lion king or toy story so take off your nostalgia and let it have its success.

Hey, now, don't tread on other peoples' opinions, no matter how wrong they are.

Ferrio

Banned
I don't know how anyone can think Elsa is better than anyone else in Frozen. She has barely any personality and really only exists to the whims of the plot.

Exactly how I felt, the god damned snowman was more of a character.

Also the whole plot was just a big over reaction of all the characters. Every single one.

MisterHero

It took The Snow Queen story and trampled on it. No, I won't let it go.

That's so unlike any other Disney adaptation ever!
I can absolutely understand making some stories appropriate for kids and sometimes give them happier endings.

This particular "adaptation", not so much. Let's make some inconsequential character from some other country the villain. such subversion wow

Perhaps I can tolerate Frozen as its own thing. As a Disney movie, it's average.

Those are some crazy numbers, people went crazy for this film. Personally, I found the film mediocre (for many) reasons and not as good as WiR or Tangled. I wonder if Frozen's runaway success will cause them to drastically alter films in development in order to make themmusicals.

It seems far fetched, but I'm sure Disney wants to make that Frozen cash on a regular basis.
I also expect them to milk the HELL out of Frozen, with a seqel being a no brainer
I agree. Ive seen it twice with my family and thought it was mediorce. Still a great feat for Disney though.

ElFly

That list don't look inflation adjusted.

And I don't know why we have to deal with this metric, when they could just say how many people went to the theater to see it.

RuGalz

I can see why it has mass appeal but if this is slippery slope for Pixar to become even less interesting than the old days I'll be sad.

Log4Girlz

That list don't look inflation adjusted.

And I don't know why we have to deal with this metric, when they could just say how many people went to the theater to see it.

That number needs to be extrapolated. There are no hard attendance numbers for most movies

Dice//

Banned
Any hiccups about "Big Hero 6" having racist undertones like most of Disney's other non-white lead features have gotten?

DarkFlow

Banned
Never Ever EVER underestimate Disneys ability push them breaks and crank out something to follow current trends.

I mean, hell ... that's why Frozen is CGI (The shitty Frog movie made them wanna stop doing princess movies and do WiR stuff ... but Tangled was such a smashing success that they took the "Proof that 2D is still alive and kicking" movie and turned it into CGI Frozen before silently taking all talk of 2D behind the shed ... )
Did you just call The Princess and the Frog "the shitty frog movie"? Wtf man, this just proves to me people love this because they've never seen a Disney move made before 2008.

The reason Big Hero 6 is being made, I suspect, is because they want to test their Marvel contract. Big Hero 6 has mutants on the team (hell, one of them was a part of the X-Men), so they and maybe even Big Hero 6 itself can only be used by Fox in a film.

HOWEVER, Marvel's contracts with the other studios is only for live-action films. Marvel, and therefore Disney can still use all their characters in animated films. Up to this point it hasn't been a big deal, because they were only direct-to-DVD releases. This is the first theatrical release for an animated movie based on a Marvel property.

I suspect Fox will sue Disney and depending on who wins will have major significance in regard to Marvel Studios.

If Disney wins, nothing is stopping them from making a Spider-Man or Fantastic Four film that takes place in the MCU. It just has to be completely CGI.

Big Hero 6 is getting huge rewrites, so it won't completely resemble the Marvel Comics mini-series.

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Big_Hero_6
Set in a fictional metropolis called San Fransokyo (a portmanteau of San Francisco and Tokyo), Hiro Hamada is a 14-year-old prodigy who created a huggable robot named Baymax to fill the void after the death of his brother, Tadashi. To find the killer, Hiro formed a team named Big Hero 6, which included Wasabi-No-Ginger, Honey Lemon, GoGo Tomago, Fred, Baymax, and himself.

One of two things will happen from this:

1) Disney will not have learned any lessons from the past on how they soured many of their franchises, and start spamming everything from Frozen to death and back.

2) Or they'll realize that Frozen, while an "Ok" film, was not THAT great and really only exploded the way it did because the internet turned it into a meme. They'll also realize that Frozen's success, despite being a demonstration of the undeniable power of the internet, is also a strong indication that people love and miss Disney's old approach to big-deal, animated musicals. And hopefully, they'll make more of them...unrelated to Frozen. Please god, no more Frozen.

It'll be interesting to see which way they go with this.
Yes becoming an internet meme is surely the key to the success of films, just look at SNAKES ON A PLANE

royalan

Yes becoming an internet meme is surely the key to the success of films, just look at SNAKES ON A PLANE

1) I think a lot of people would agree that Snakes on a Plane probably did as good as it did because of the joke it became.

2) There was more about Frozen becoming a meme that was able to be monetized than Snakes on a Plane.

3) Snakes on a Plane probably predates the full potential of the meme by a little bit.

ЯAW

Banned
Disney is going to swim in money. They have good run with the animation movies and soon they start cranking out those Star Wars movies. I wish I had some Disney stocks :(

Log4Girlz

ЯAW;106393943 said:
Disney is going to swim in money. They have good run with the animation movies and soon they start cranking out those Star Wars movies. I wish I had some Disney stocks :(

They made a monstrously smart move in buying Marvel and they fucking just hit the jackpot with Lucas Film. They got everything.

Blearth

Banned
I just watched in five minutes ago and I think all the haters in this thread are stupid.

Movie was absolutely fantastic. Makes this California boy wanna see some snow. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom