• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frozen is Disney's highest-grossing animated feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

sn00zer

Film had great scenes, just poor characters and story to tie the scenes together....did like the true love spell breaker at the end though

fertygo

Movie should just end after Let it Go sequence, man if just they making movie with that scene/direction as ending in mind.
But this is family cartoon blockbuster afterall.

May be Off-Topic, but Toy Story 3 made over a billion worldwide? Damn the movie is good, but it was really that good internationally?

Are there any figures concerning merchandising and stuff? I mean Toy-Story franchise must be overly worthy... It made for merchandising and toys since the main characters are toys...smart move Pixar...smart move :D

Empty

it's nice to see it doing well because it has good messages about love and gender roles parcelled in an easy to enjoy film for all ages.

Hari Seldon

May be Off-Topic, but Toy Story 3 made over a billion worldwide? Damn the movie is good, but it was really that good internationally?

Are there any figures concerning merchandising and stuff? I mean Toy-Story franchise must be overly worthy... It made for merchandising and toys since the main characters are toys...smart move Pixar...smart move :D

Merchandising is where Frozen is going to clean house. The only time I have seen frozen merchandise at the Disney store was when the movie was just released, everything has been sold out since then. The line to see Anna and Elsa at Disney was 6 hours long according to a friend who went there recently.

Never underestimate the power of a princess movie to sell merch to little girls. Princesses are Disney's #1 franchise after all.

I was thinking about renting Frozen and finally be able to see what the fuzz was all about...

But it is a MUSICAL?

Nah. Fuck that. There is no excuse to break into song... EVER.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I was thinking about renting Frozen and finally be able to see what the fuzz was all about...

But it is a MUSICAL?

Nah. Fuck that. There is no excuse to break into song... EVER.

The first half of the film is a little liberal with the musical numbers but the second half is virtually song-free.

No way is its success due in a large part to its Internet popularity.

The vast majority of it is kids going mad for it.

Came out on blu ray here today and watched it with the tiddler for the first time since cinema and still thought it was great

Smellycat

It is a good movie, my only issue with it is the
Hans twist
. I know that this is a kids movie and all, but
his interactions with Anna were very misleading to the audience, especially when he falls off the boat and has a big genuine smile on his face

Hans twist
his interactions with Anna were very misleading to the audience, especially when he falls off the boat and has a big genuine smile on his face

I noticed that today it's almost like there was a change in direction on who the villain should be after they made half of it.

No subtle hints really

Mr-Joker

Banned
Hans twist

Is that a good thing since it proves Elsa point that Anna was being an idiot when she was rushing to marrying a guy that she just met and knew nothing about?

Ferrio

Banned
I noticed that today it's almost like there was a change in direction on who the villain should be after they made half of it.

No subtle hints really

Someone in the thread said
Elsa was suppose to be the original villian, they couldn't make it work I guess...?

I really don't know what you're on about.

Big Hero 6, while a Marvel property, is not a Marvel Studios movie nor does it take place in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It is a Walt Disney Animation Studios movie, just like Wreck it Ralph, Tangled, Frozen, etc. It is a movie involving superheroes but it is not a summer blockbuster, it is the annual animated film from Walt Disney Animation Studios. None of the recent Walt Disney Animation Studios films have been marketed more than 3-4 months in advance of release. In other words, us hearing/seeing very little on the project so far even though it releases this November is entirely normal.

The Marvel Studios films this year are Captain America The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy. Marvel Studios does not make animated films, only live action. Disney owns Marvel, which is why they can use a Marvel property for an animated film.
I really don't know how to explain it any clearer than I have so I shall just concede to the notion that it's gonna pull lack-luster numbers.

Did you just call The Princess and the Frog "the shitty frog movie"? Wtf man, this just proves to me people love this because they've never seen a Disney move made before 2008.
Yuuuuup, it's a shitty movie that deserved to do poorly. And my love for Disney runs long and deep.

Tell me why it's not shit and I will tell you why I feel it's shit. Until then I would prefer you not doubt my love for 2D Disney.

Smellycat

Is that a good thing since it proves Elsa point that Anna was being an idiot when she was rushing to marrying a guy that she just met and knew nothing about?

I have no problem with the actual concept since it basically proves that point, but the execution wasn't done well. Like Jeff said, there was an abrupt switch. No build up really
except maybe for the 13 brothers bit and finishing each other's sandwiches lol

Finally saw it yesterday and was a bit disappointed. It wasn't bad per se, but the characters were pretty shallow and I didn't care for the very broadway-esque songs. I doubt it'll get many re-watches from me. I wish I could have gotten the Snow Queen adaptation Disney first sold it as when they announced it.

I have no problem with the actual concept since it basically proves that point, but the execution wasn't done well. Like Jeff said, there was an abrupt switch. No build up really

Weeelllll ...
he was also a bit too ready to take up the command of a place he just visited and took too well to it for someone who shouldn't be expected to reach the thrown in his home land in like EVER.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Someone in the thread said
Elsa was suppose to be the original villian, they couldn't make it work I guess...?

I don't know it could have worked if they had focus on Elsa's loneliness and fitting into a "monster role" because the people outcast her and it was Anna that brought her back and showed everyone that Elsa isn't a monster and that Elsa isn't alone.

The way I see it is that the scrip needed another re-write, as it was so close.

Tell me why it's not shit and I will tell you why I feel it's shit. Until then I would prefer you not doubt my love for 2D Disney.

Because it had black people and if you think it's crap then you're racist.

I am only joking I haven't even seen the movie. ;)

pestul

I thought it was good, but not 'blow up sensation, billion-dollar' good. Congrats to them though. It's better than some other shite movie getting there. My Wife, who is an avid Disney film collector didn't like it at all. She loved Tangled. Weird.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
I haven't seen it but good for them. The quality of Disney animation certainly seems to be back.

Also, I went to Disneyworld a month ago and it seemed like every little girl was dressed like Anna or Elsa. The merchandise sales have to be insane. It was also something ridiculous like three hours to do the meet and greet with them. I couldn't believe people were waiting for that!

Kusagari

Did it really need that much buildup though?
If this wasn't a Disney kids movie then everyone would instantly be suspicious of how Hans acted from the second he met Anna. Elsa's incredulous reaction to the instant marriage proposal actually does a great job of showing how different she is from most other Disney females. Hans himself actually says this pointblank later on, in contrasting Anna and Elsa.

Leeness

There's actually a super subtle moment where Hans shows his true colours that is really only noticeable on a rewatch lol. Like so subtle, I could just be imagining it haha.

At the fight in the ice palace, he looks up at the chandelier before redirecting the crossbow there. I'm guessing he probably meant for it to kill Elsa in a ~tragic accident~.

Muffdraul

Just saw it over the weekend. Generally not a fan of musicals, specifically not a fan of the current pop style they used in at least a couple of the songs... but overall I enjoyed it. I hereby declare it worthy of the Disney name.

Ties

Banned
The sweet sound of hate.

Will your fave animated film ever?

iG9QZ77EB4pW6.gif

Ties

Banned
I thought it was good, but not 'blow up sensation, billion-dollar' good. Congrats to them though. It's better than some other shite movie getting there. My Wife, who is an avid Disney film collector didn't like it at all. She loved Tangled. Weird.
The box office gross disagrees.

iG9QZ77EB4pW6.gif

Princess and the Frog is ok and I appreciate a new 2D animated Disney, but I don't think many of the songs are that good and it crams so many characters down your throat as if to say "ARE YOU ENCHANTED YET?"

Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph and Frozen were better because they didn't try to return to the Disney formula so much as they kind of did their own thing.

It's funny thinking about this movie in relation to Toy Story 3 because of the twist in Frozen with
Hans being a villain.
just because I've heard a similar complaint about Lotso from a few people, which I think is more valid since Lotso never really benefits from being a dick. But Pixar tends to treat their villains as minor obstacles whereas people expect Disney movies to make their villains a focal point, especially during their Renaissance (Ursula, Jafar, Gaston, Scar, Frollo, Hades). So maybe people had higher expectations for Frozen, but I don't think it needed one since the villain's role is usually to take the spotlight off of their wonderbread protagonists, where Elsa is strong enough to carry her own story.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I thought Lotso's entire lifestyle depended on being a dick and upholding his enforced status quo. Otherwise he would have been played with by the rough kids and ripped apart, right?

Xamdou

1 Billion+!? Insane... well deserved! Frozen is a great movie and is up there with Alladin and The Lion King.

Do you guys remember when we were all thinking it was going to bomb and suck?

Never once doubted its quality from the very start. How could I after Tangled? And I didn’t think it was going to bomb at all – then again I definitely didn’t expect it to be a phenomenon and be the highest grossing animated movie of all time.

The movie deserves all its success. It’s great because the movie is phenomenal, and it’s doubly great because it shows that Disney is back. It’s like seeing an old amazing friend again come back from a long holiday. It warms my heart! : D

I noticed something was off about Hans as he was approaching the castle, and during the storming of it too. He was too aggressive to be one of the good characters. Then again they revealed it shortly after that anyway.

It is odd for a Disney movie to have a weak antagonist, but it works in this case. It would have been too weird to have Elsa be the antagonist. Walt Disney himself couldn't figure out how to make her the antagonist.

Given the options, I can't think of much I'd change about the movie. Perhaps how quickly whats her name falls in love, but that also plays into the antagonist's and her story. She didn't know what love was. He saw a chance at ruling a kingdom due to an easy and dumb girl and he took it.

One thing I don't understand is why she was so dumb. She's in a prestigious position. She has access to the outside world unlike her sister. Not terrible looking. She had to have dated a guy before... right? Completely clueless. Odd.

One thing I don't understand is why she was so dumb. She's in a prestigious position. She has access to the outside world unlike her sister. Not terrible looking. She had to have dated a guy before... right? Completely clueless. Odd.

I was under the impression that she was never allowed to leave the castle/go past the gates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom