• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FurryGAF |OT| They should have sent a veterinarian

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
You know, speaking of "first furry crushes" I wonder how many people will discover the furry fandom through "Five Nights at Freddy's?" It's really popular in a lot of non-exclusively furry circles, such as youtube.

I would be surprised by those. The characters aren't exactly designed to be appealing, or portrayed positively. Whereas Bugs is totally meant to be likable and successful (if a bit of a jerk).

B5eCZGrIMAAr_pm.jpg

I would say FnaF is doing it's fair share, though these days what doesn't? MLP, half the cartoons on TV, most kids CG films, etc. If anything, the only problem might be that there is very little "mature" or "adult" (not sexytime adult, just adult themes) anthro art/media, which I think does hamper things a bit.

I don't think how a thing is designed or portrayed has ultimate impact over if someone finds it appealing - most of my crushes were the villains in the stories, or bad guys - I don't think their designers, or the showrunners, expected an 8 year old to go "yeah, that strong, independent if misunderstood dragon in bondage gear is far more appealing to me than the heroes of the show". Or did they...

Kater

Banned
I think Five Nights at Freddy's, while it's not a game for me (but mostly for children) will definitely get some more people into this fandom. And while I don't like PDPs style, I certainly applaud him for supporting the game with his Lets Plays. Not just because it is a furry related game, but also because it is an indie game.

Edit:

I already asked in the 'Let's put Santa hats on our avatars' thread but got no reply so far. If anyone here can help me out and put a Christmas related thing on the Khajiit here, I'd really appreciate it.

Edit²: Venture already made one for me. And wow is it good. :3

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So, first crushes as a kid when it comes to "dem funny animals"?

surprisingly enough I never got a "furry crush" until I was a late teen, even when I got into muscle furry lol

these three will always be my furry man-crush

22598.jpg

Weregarurumon_re.jpg

5bQFiz4.jpg

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
recent investigation has led me to believe that murrsuiting might be more widespread in my local fur crowd than previously expected
8NAmvIX.gif

Chuck

Still without luck
I have very much seen it, and he's got like snake bites in it

edit: wait! it's actually not him, it's someone else's character that looks nearly identical to Steve (yes that's his name)

Kater

Banned
qdyxOwK.jpg

Another Christmas themed work I found. :3

Artist is zenith. (FA)

It was a work that the artist did for fellow FA user stripes.

Edit: Got some details wrong and had to correct them. (Confused Stripes for the real artist of this piece, zenithfoxie. >.<)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Damn, I love this. I love normal, everyday scenes in anthro art.

I have to admit, the reason why I don't browse most fan art, especially content produced by the Western furry fandom, is the fixation fans tend to have on non-ironic, non-humorous hyper idealized action or sexual display poses. The po-faced cliches are too repetitive and rob the characters of personality.

I always thought it's always sexual displayed poses and never hyper idealized action :p

I think it's a kind of rite of passage for every furry artist, that some of the early stuff one draws is hyper-idealized action. FA is full of it, and I'm guilty of it myself, though at least that was over ten years ago.

I don't get fursonas. I mean, I do somewhat, but not to the degree they've been embraced.

Even casually browsing FA, you see all these people really buying into these alternate identities created for themselves, and while I'm certainly no stranger to the idea of creating an identity that has some kinship with your real-life personhood but also some distance from it (I mean, we're on GAF), I have nothing against the idea, but it just goes over my head. I could never personally do it.

It's understandable that not everyone would "get" the concept of a fursona, since it's a very idiosyncratic thing. Hell, within the fandom itself, there are *so* many layers to the concept.

Some people identify as furry, but don't have a "fursona" per say, they just "like wolves".
Some people have a fursona, which is just a very loose alter-ego or cypher, for fun.
Some people have a solid fursona, meticulously designed, that they love to show off.
Some people think they were a duck in a previous life. And who are we to judge?
Some people have an entire roster of fursonas, literally hundreds, and wear whichever one they want at that moment.
Some people actually *buy* popular fursonas, usually tied to specific fursuits, so they can *be* that "character", kind of like sliding into a role.
Some people are dragons, and you just don't understand.
Some people were raised by a family of wild badgers, or 80s cartoons, and are now badgers.
Some people just want to be more, or different, from what humanity and reality insists they are.

So, YMMV of course - but it's fascinating really. Talk to a thousand furries, get a thousand impressions on what furry, and fursona, actually is.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
So I guess this is an excuse for me to go on with my thoughts about fursonas and the like. (Entry #1001 I suppose. :p )

When I started out in the community, I had the usual split. There was me, and there was my rabbit character, we were distinct. (My character actually came out of a fiction world, she was explicitly created as separate from me.) When I was in furry stuff, I was playing my character. It made sense, it seemed obligatory, and when you're hiding the idea of being a furry from the real world it seems like a pretty safe route to take.

Eventually, though, I did start seeing furries who were a little too into their characters. Sometimes, their character was the entire depth and breadth of their personality. Some were really, really into the escapism that furry affords. To the point where, in a handful of cases, people were ignoring their real-life issues in favor of absorbing themselves into furry. And when I say "issues" I mean like... serious medical problems, which could've been very easily managed or avoided. I started to find it all kinda scary.

That sort of thing made me decide to try and avoid the escapist parts of furry. I liked the kind of person (as it were) my character was, so instead of having the separation I try to be more like her in real life. In a way it almost makes me sound crazier - I'm trying to be the rabbit - but ultimately I think it's healthier than ignoring reality altogether. And it just so happens to have helped me be a better person, so... that's nice.

There is real power in giving yourself an aspirational goal in the form of an idealized character to try and be, everything in moderation of course. A lot of very basic self-help, while it might seem hokey, is cemented in the "imagine the you you wish to be" advice. Self-affirmation and all that. Obviously mileage may vary, but if someone wants to be a better person, and this is how they go about it, it's a Good Thing I feel.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Escapism is often used as a pejorative term, but I find many who do so have a need to control others so that they conform for that person's comfort. There is a fear of the world of the mind in some of those who are upset at the notion people exploring deep imagination.

Personal fantasy is a powerful tool and like any tool it can be used well or poorly. Some people do use it poorly; in the context of character personas it's not entirely uncommon to see a persona (or fursona) being invoked as a form of denial. A person may create a character that is nothing like themselves because they dislike themselves, and then live vicariously through the character. Using escapism well is to bring something back with you. People can use a character to explore themselves in a safe context and set up a virtuous cycle of positive reinforcement.

In the case of the furry subculture specifically, yeah, in my experience it has some problematic social environments which encourage escapism with a negative outcome. There's a lot of geek social fallacy among furries that protects and excuses immaturity. The nature of fandom personas can enable a particular kind of co-dependent predatory personality which seeks to use people under cover of a character designed to hide an ugly and dangerous self.

This makes some within the subculture afraid of role play, personal characters and the like, and the fear is not baseless. Yet it is still ultimately pointless to try and deny one's self living an inner fantasy life because everyone does that already.

Though there's also the other side, of course - people who create their 'fursona' (the word just sounds wrong to me) to be a sort of idealized version of themselves. I've seen a lot of furries take their real life looks, or parts of them like hairstyle, body type, accessories like glasses or piercings, and put them onto an anthropomorphic fox or otter or whatever.

Those that are roleplaying as somebody they aren't in a general conversation are fairly rare. The vast majority of furries use their 'fursona' more like an avatar, as something they are recognizable by within the furry community, and they design them in a way that they like.

And while roleplaying is indeed a pretty major factor within the furry fandom, it's only a small amount of people who are not able to distinguish real life from roleplay. Extreme approaches are everywhere, in pretty much any thing you can imagine.

Top Bottom