• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FurryGAF |OT| They should have sent a veterinarian

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Though there's also the other side, of course - people who create their 'fursona' (the word just sounds wrong to me) to be a sort of idealized version of themselves. I've seen a lot of furries take their real life looks, or parts of them like hairstyle, body type, accessories like glasses or piercings, and put them onto an anthropomorphic fox or otter or whatever.

Those that are roleplaying as somebody they aren't in a general conversation are fairly rare. The vast majority of furries use their 'fursona' more like an avatar, as something they are recognizable by within the furry community, and they design them in a way that they like.

And while roleplaying is indeed a pretty major factor within the furry fandom, it's only a small amount of people who are not able to distinguish real life from roleplay. Extreme approaches are everywhere, in pretty much any thing you can imagine.

Actually, the cliche of "a person who can't tell fantasy from reality" is something more likely to be imagined by an outsider to a group that's based around fiction and fantasy.

When people literally cannot tell what is real, it's likely that they are dealing with far more serious problems for which something like furry (or anime, or video games, or larp, or whatever) is merely acting as an outlet. Genuine cases of this are relatively rare.

Actually, the cliche of "a person who can't tell fantasy from reality" is something more likely to be imagined by an outsider to a group that's based around fiction and fantasy.

When people literally cannot tell what is real, it's likely that they are dealing with far more serious problems for which something like furry (or anime, or video games, or larp, or whatever) is merely acting as an outlet. Genuine cases of this are relatively rare.

Well, I've encountered people who were barking in restaurants and whatnot... that kind of stuff is what I mean with people who can't separate both of these worlds.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Well, I've encountered people who were barking in restaurants and whatnot... that kind of stuff is what I mean with people who can't separate both of these worlds.

....My friend and I might have meowed a few times at Christmas Eve dinner. >_>

This was at a restaurant. :p

In our defense, we were quiet with it.

And I was totally embarrassed that he wore a Bad Dragon shirt.

Okay, well, if it's quiet, that's fine too I guess. I just mean specifically acting like a dog or cat or whatever in public, where other people can see/hear you quite easily, especially if the group is bigger. It's really weird, detached, and embarrassing, and behaviour like that might result in a ban too if there's enough guests that feel disturbed by it.

Oh my God I would've told him to take it off. For the rest of the day.

Grakl

Okay, well, if it's quiet, that's fine too I guess. I just mean specifically acting like a dog or cat or whatever in public, where other people can see/hear you quite easily, especially if the group is bigger. It's really weird, detached, and embarrassing, and behaviour like that might result in a ban too if there's enough guests that feel disturbed by it.

Oh my God I would've told him to take it off. For the rest of the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLmD_69pXpk

Kater

Banned
tumblr_ngyh3kNWVj1u537elo1_1280.jpg

:p

Artist is Cerberus. (FA)

I don't get it, is she confused why he is walking on his toes? (I think the term is digitigrade, I believe)

It highlights the inconsistencies in the design: in a lot of promotional material, and in Smash Bros, Fox is plantigrade when he has his boots on.

To quote the text under the comic itself, which is only on the site:

Anthropomorphic space animal characters like Fox kind of get an anatomical pass when they're just human-shaped bodies with an animal head and tail stapled on either end, but once you try to deconstruct that idea a little further the shambling homunculus starts to fall apart.

I have no idea if Fox is maybe just a normal-proportioned human dude with way too much hair or instead a weird dog that has crushed its horrible body into the vague shape of a man. Someone needs to ask Nintendo these tough and important questions??

It's just meant to be a joke, is all.

HsEDEPy.jpg

There is also of course, the "amputated leg" theory that is still very popular: that the metal boots you see on the characters in Starfox (SNES) promotional material, are robotic replacement lower limbs after having what was there amputated and replaced, to prevent blackout from heavy-G maneuvers (blood shifting from upper to lower limbs due to extreme forces causes blackouts) - but that theory only works until you come across the tidbit that the Arwings have a G-diffuser, just like the F-zero cars.

That, and it's all fiction anyway. :p The legs on the promo puppets were probably just something quick thrown together to make the character work, I doubt there was any real fiction behind it.

I think the rumour started with Nintendo Power, who wrote in their Star Fox preview:

“Legless pilots can handle more Gs than their legged bretherin. When gravity forces blood from the brain to lower extremities, it causes the pilot to black out. But if you have no legs to force blood to, more blood can stay in the brain, and it’s easier for the heart to pump blood back to the brain.

“Their legs were probably voluntarily amputated as these are all trained pilots. Their futuristic society allows for prosthetics that allows them to walk and run normally so there’s no loss in performing these amputations.”

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
We never see Fox's feet though. For all we know, he has human-like bone structure.

We never see Fox's feet though. For all we know, he has human-like bone structure.

tQ1fevN.png

In early promo, they look pretty amputated - but beyond the SNES game, the design quickly changed to be "foot in boot" style, and more consistent with human proportions. Again, the comic is just meant to be poking fun at the "furry designs that are just humans with a tail stapled on" trope.

dmLoj5O.jpg

Kater

Banned
It highlights the inconsistencies in the design: in a lot of promotional material, and in Smash Bros, Fox is plantigrade when he has his boots on.

To quote the text under the comic itself, which is only on the site:
Oh, okay. The text explains it pretty well.

I don't have any problems with furry character with human legs really. It's a choice the artist has made and I respect that. Sounds like the artist who made that comic was a bit confused or salty.

It's just meant to be a joke, is all.

Oh, okay. Thought the artist had some beef with Nintendo over these design decisions.

Oh, okay. Thought the artist had some beef with Nintendo over these design decisions.

Katie Tiedrich is a huge Nintendo fan, and has nothing but love for the material - she's been drawing comics about Nintendo stuff for eight years.

The humour is hit-or-miss, but I've always liked her stuff:

njWcifu.jpg

Kater

Banned
Katie Tiedrich is a huge Nintendo fan, and has nothing but love for the material - she's been drawing comics about Nintendo stuff for eight years.

The humour is hit-or-miss, but I've always liked her stuff:

njWcifu.jpg
Good to know.

That comic strip is pretty funny btw.

Edit: Wait, Samus has been raised by birds? Is that something you find out in one of the games or is that just some silly inside joke?

Good to know.

That comic strip is pretty funny btw.

Edit: Wait, Samus has been raised by birds? Is that something you find out in one of the games or is that just some silly inside joke?

She was raised by the Chozo, after Ridley killed her parents and all the colonists of K-2L.

The Chozo are a bird people, with avian features. It is their tech that allow Samus to go into Morph Ball mode, and so fourth. It was the Chozo who created the original Metroids.

A lot of this was only nailed down later in the series (since the first game only had her as a "bounty hunter" and didn't talk much about her past in the manual), but it's all canon now.

Metroid Lore in a Minute sums it up nicely.

Kater

Banned
She was raised by the Chozo, after Ridley killed her parents and all the colonists of K-2L.

The Chozo are a bird people, with avian features. It is their tech that allow Samus to go into Morph Ball mode, and so fourth. It was the Chozo who created the original Metroids.

A lot of this was only nailed down later in the series (since the first game only had her as a "bounty hunter" and didn't talk much about her past in the manual), but it's all canon now.

Metroid Lore in a Minute sums it up nicely.
I only played the first two games to completion so I'm guessing it was mentioned in one of the games after that(?).

I only played the first two games to completion so I'm guessing it was mentioned in one of the games after that(?).

I think it was in the 2002 official manga, that everything was finally nailed down and established with regards to her childhood. Some of it was laid out in the Nintendo Power comic from 1994, specifically Chapter 4:

And then later expanded upon in the newer games, like the Prime series, and I think the Zero Mission remake might mention some of her past in the intro scroll, been a while since I played it so I don't recall.

We are of course also dealing with a game that has had its story mangled left and right by localizations. In the US release of Metroid for the NES, Samus Aran was a man, and a cyborg:

Habm4Oa.png

Though to be fair, I've seen it later claimed that this was intentional "to keep her true gender a secret until the end of the game". So who knows.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
She was also infused with Chozo DNA.

Anyway while I like the comic, it gives the misconception that all anthros have digitigrade feet. Not only is it actually pretty bad to walk on with an upright build, Star Fox has been established to have plantigrade feet (i.e. human style feet).

Fucking Digimon even got it right

Wargreymon_re.jpg

Weregarurumon_re.jpg

Garudamon2.jpg

We are of course also dealing with a game that has had its story mangled left and right by localizations. In the US release of Metroid for the NES, Samus Aran was a man, and a cyborg:

Habm4Oa.png

Though to be fair, I've seen it later claimed that this was intentional "to keep her true gender a secret until the end of the game". So who knows.

Surprisingly enough, the original Japanese manual also explicitly calls Samus a man and apparently claims that she's a cyborg too. I guess we can just chalk that last bit up to some first-game canon weirdness.

Refyref

That comic isn't supposed to be all that serious, just a small joke at a general idea. I do like it when anthros are drawn with digitigrade feet, though.

Surprisingly enough, the original Japanese manual also explicitly calls Samus a man and apparently claims that she's a cyborg too. I guess we can just chalk that last bit up to some first-game canon weirdness.

They mentioned it later, and you can understand it from the last sentence, but it's just to purposely confuse the player.

Kater

Banned
also you should google 'star fox feet'. the results won't surprise you.
I found some deviantart drawings of Krystal among other things and most importantly, this pic here:

U02d0fG.jpg

Hilarious.

I think it was in the 2002 official manga, that everything was finally nailed down and established with regards to her childhood. Some of it was laid out in the Nintendo Power comic from 1994, specifically Chapter 4:

And then later expanded upon in the newer games, like the Prime series, and I think the Zero Mission remake might mention some of her past in the intro scroll, been a while since I played it so I don't recall.

Habm4Oa.png

Thanks for digging up all the trivia for me. I never heard of that manga before, are they considered canon? Or is it more like those Link mangas which make up stuff without affecting the overall lore of the games?

D-Pad

The puppet starfox feet were a last minute thing and aren't canon. Something about not knowing their feet were gonna be shown in pictures so someone make some last second adjustments [source when I find it].

snesfox in-game continue screen:

Not that it matters anyway. The subsequent games clarified all of the game characters are in fact plantigrade.

Also don't get the digitgrade hate. One of the cutest beast men is digitigrade:
OYk0nCR.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Also Krystal had plantigrade feet in Adventures so it's reasonable to assume Fox's feet are also plantigrade.

Kater

Banned
I think both plantigrade and digitigrade legs can look good.

FA
--
FA

Just something I noticed when I looked through the two tags (plantigrade, digitigrade) on FA but why is it that so many warriors get depicted with digitigrade legs while the more casual characters mostly have plantigrade legs? Is it because digitigrade legs are more intimidating to the artist? And why the plantigrade legs on the casual characters?

D-Pad

To me, there's a more "feral" (and in turn, more ferocious) element to digitigrade legs so maybe that has something to do with it.

And I'ma need you to find the source of that tiger pic.

Kater

Banned
To me, there's a more "feral" (and in turn, more ferocious) element to digitigrade legs so maybe that has something to do with it.

And I'ma need you to find the source of that tiger pic.
I suppose that makes sense. Cats are born predators so making the anthro look more cat-like makes the character look way more wild and initimidating.

Found it.
Link is in the post above yours.

Top Bottom