• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FurryGAF |OT| They should have sent a veterinarian

Digitigrade feet are one of those key markers that say to me "this character is absolutely not human, even if they may act in a similar way." There's an exotic appeal to that, maybe even an element of potential danger - how wild *is* this character? How much of an animal are they really?

I mean, plantigrade feet are cool too, but digitigrade? More like digitiyayde. I have no idea what I just wrote.

To me, there's a more "feral" (and in turn, more ferocious) element to digitigrade legs so maybe that has something to do with it.

And I'ma need you to find the source of that tiger pic.

Digitigrade feet are of those key markers that say to me "this character is absolutely not human, even if they may act in a similar way." There's an exotic appeal to that, maybe even an element of potential danger - how wild *is* this character? How much of an animal are they really?

I mean, plantigrade feet are cool too, but digitigrade? More like digitiyayde. I have no idea what I just wrote.

These cool dudes pretty much said what I was going to but better. I get that, sometimes, digitigrade feet look pretty weird anatomically, but I think the overall effect they create is more important than realism in a lot of cases.

Grakl

Looked through nick300's Gallery today found some really great piece. (FA)

Also, anyone else excited for Codename S.T.E.A.M. because of this guy here?

UZp7qwt.jpg

Here's a link to the trailer of the game for anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about: Code Name S.T.E.A.M. Trailer

Me, really looking forward to the game.

Also, digitigrade feet > *

Kater

Banned
Digitigrade feet are of those key markers that say to me "this character is absolutely not human, even if they may act in a similar way." There's an exotic appeal to that, maybe even an element of potential danger - how wild *is* this character? How much of an animal are they really?

I can sorta understand now why so many anthro warriors and soldiers have digitigrade legs, thanks to you and D-Pad.

Digityayde, hihi :3
These cool dudes pretty much said what I was going to but better. I get that, sometimes, digitigrade feet look pretty weird anatomically, but I think the overall effect they create is more important than realism in a lot of cases.
Realism debates when it comes to art are always weird to me. If the people complaining had it their way we would only have one vanilla build for anthro characters left. And that would be boring.

Me, really looking forward to the game.

Also, digitigrade feet > *
Yay!

Maybe we can play a game or two once it gets released.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The odd thing about saying digitigrade legs don't work, are all the digitigrade stilts bipedal humans are running around on quite well.

For fictional creatures, the circumstances behind its evolution are contrived anyway.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You mean for amputees? Because those are the products of modern engineering and materials sciences. A biological organism wouldn't be able to match the efficiency and durability.

Since I grew up loving dinosaurs, I've always had a thing for digigrade legs.

nKD5FC6.jpg

I find them very appealing, visually. It might just be the kind of zig-zag motion, which follows a lot of rules of animation design to make things look interesting.

You mean for amputees? Because those are the products of modern engineering and materials sciences. A biological organism wouldn't be able to match the efficiency and durability.

Well, sure. But a furry with a dog/canine mouth wouldn't be speaking perfect English either, nor going out to dinner on a date, watching a movie, before heading home for awkward sex...

We're still talking about furry art, right? :p

Kater

Banned
I really liked the walking animation of the Argonians and Khajiits in Morrowind by the way.

Now, in Oblivion and Skyrim the "beast" races lost more and more of their previous features. I understand that there are different breeds but it still feels like Bethesda only changed it so that people feel less weirded out or whatever. :/

I like the design of the plantigrade Khajiit and Argonians in Skyrim too, I'd still wish they featured the other breeds as well though in the form of NPCs and as an option for a playable race. Just feels like they got cut out and forgotten about.

Sorry for bringing up Elder Scrolls again, I know the people here are probably sick of me talking about that series. It simply served as a great example for the discussion about digitigrade "vs" plantigrade that is going on at the moment in here.

Chuck

Still without luck
I asked one of the kitchen boys at work to draw me a cat and he ended up drawing an anthro one with digitigrade feet. true story.

also which i you furs are participating in real pic January!? I hope everyone :3

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Meh, I don't like real pics. Part of it reeks of narcissism, part of it reeks of politics I don't even want to discuss here.

Kai Dracon

Actually I was thinking of the hundreds of kinds of stilts people strap on their existing feet for the digitigrade effect, some of which are made of soft wood.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Actually I was thinking of the hundreds of kinds of stilts people strap on their existing feet for the digitigrade effect, some of which are made of soft wood.

Oh. Ultimately, though, those are still plantigrade feet in mechanics because the weight of the body is concentrated on the arch and the soles, rather than the toes.

D-Pad

If any of you guys draw digitally, would you recommend anything in particular for a beginner?
Dunno what kind of tips you're looking for so here goes:

Hardware (jus some):
Pen and Tablet -
  • Wacom or Monoprice. I use Wacom Intuos 4 but I've heard good things about Monoprice's tablets, which are cheaper and, according to this review at least, works better on Macs than Wacom's.
  • Scanner - If you want you can scan hand-drawn art in using a scanner and then digitally ink and color them.

(a few) Software:
  • Paint Tool Sai: Pretty awesome and pretty cheap compared to Photoshop. I find it better for pen and tablet drawing and painting than Photoshop as well.
  • Photoshop: Expensive (though I think there's a subscription plan now) but full of features. Better selection tools and more blending options. Bad default brush selection.
  • GIMP: Free, plenty of features, and free.

(an inch of) Other:
- You have unlimited canvas space in the digital world!
- You have (a near) unlimited choice of colors in the digital world!
- Most programs let you draw on multiple "layers". Layers are like invisible sheets that let you draw on a layer without affecting other layers. For example you could have a rough sketch on one layer and then trace over it in another without messing up the rough sketch. Or draw characters on a background without messing up the background.
- If one program does something better than another switch back and forth (but be careful you don't lose some important thing in the pic cause Sai doesn't support something from Photoshop/Gimp, etc)
- You can shrink, but try not to scale up a final piece too much. Unless you're using vector things will just get blurry... Totally okay for rough sketches you don't plan on being in the final pic though.
- Use the selection tools to cut, crop, paste, trim, rotate, etc your rough sketches before you start finalizing them.
- Flip the image constantly while drawing to get a fresh eye. Unlike analog drawing you don't need a mirror! Paint Tool SAI even has a button for this at the top. With Photoshop and GIMP you have to Image -> whatever -> and mirror horizontally...
- DRAW BIG and export the final image at a smaller scale. Just like you would vidya games to get a prettier picture.
- The internet is your resource. If you see a color you'd like to use on the internet just import the picture into your program and use the eye-dropper tool.

Dunno if that's what you wanted but regardless, straight from my heart~

Edit - There are videos of specific drawing techniques out there. The programs behave similarly at the basic level - learn one and it won't be hard to switch later - but they each have their own way of performing certain tasks.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I meant fanart of him being drawn as though it's a fanart of his fictional franchise :p

this is the second time I swooned on a Pixar character, the first being the griffon dude in Monsters University, and this coming from someone who doesn't like that.

Capra

Hey there, Fur-GAF! Been lurking in this thread for a while and figured I'd finally poke my head in and say hi.

I also thought I'd share this little WIP Ren'Py game I found on itch.io just now. It's called The Duenkhy. I'll quote the website:

The Duenkhy is a visual novel centered about Jun Renaud, a young human who runs away from a humans-only community to live with a friend in a duenkhy-only community. What are duenkhy? Duenkhy are the non-humans. Monsters, talking animals, sentient machines, fairies, and the list goes on. For centuries, humans and duenkhy have lived amongst each other, but there are those who believe they're better off separated. Disguised as a duenkhy, Jun must adjust to the new living situation, deal with the past, and form relationships with the locals...

As of now there's only a short demo - only about an hour long and the art needs some work ("some" including missing backgrounds and various wonky portraits) but I really like the direction the author is going. Stuff like main character being officially gender-neutral, all of the romances being guys as well as, you know, not human. It's pretty cute!

Also, Tor Sharma:

qVHN7mO.png

Tor Sharma
28 - tiger - m

Tor is a warm and friendly fellow who wants nothing more than to please others. A tireless optimist, he works around the clock as a technician at a local hardware shop. At home, he has a hobby of photography and building his own little projects. He helps Rafael with maintenance, so the two have formed a sort of friendship.

"Hey, champ! I brought you flowers!"

Kater

Banned
Hi there Capra!

So many new folks, yiss. The more the merrier.

I'm really into VNs so I will definitely check it out. Thanks for bringing it to attention.

Kai Dracon

The only other software recommendation I'd make is that Manga Studio 5 / Clip Paint Studio is almost criminally cheap for such a powerful piece of software. I pretty much switched entirely to it from using a combination of Painter, Photoshop, and Expression for art production.

Edit: that and just to add to the information upthread, if you're going to get into digital coloring and painting, performing some basic study in color theory and selecting palettes is very helpful. Due to the freedom of selecting any combination of highly saturated colors, you tend to see amateur artists end up with very garish images that do not compliment the line art. (If it's line art being colored.)

Here is a good basic primer on color theory that works for digital programs, along with links to download a handy gamut mask to play around with and learn by experimentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kQllLy_X4I

Speaking of muscles, I know I've posted a lot of reference material on the matter before, specifically the "for show" vs "actual muscles" contradiction. But I saw this on Imgur this morning, and thought it an interesting reference for artists:

http://imgur.com/gallery/VdQze

ZIXUdzM.jpg

Jacques is a parisian 50 years old homeless. He's been living in the Paris streets for years. He's passion? Bodybuilding. So his main activity is to practice in the middle of the street. He doesn't drink, smoke and try to have a specific diet to gain muscle with the money people give him.

It helps to study the fundamentals of things like muscle structure, even if all you're going to do is shading. Knowing which muscles curve which way on the surface, can lead to much more natural shading, instead of the "watermelons in condoms" look a lot of furry artists of hypermuscle stuff have.

thanks, I thought the style is basic tho, just bunch a flat colors on top of each other

Everyone starts somewhere. I made very little progress between 1999 to 2010 on my own art, nearly a decade of stagnating. Then I decided to do something about it, and now I feel like I'm finally making some progress, five years later. Granted, I'm very slow on the uptake, since I'm incapable of learning things from books - it just never sticks. I gotta figure it out for myself, so I keep reinventing the wheel over and over.

Top Bottom