• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G1 Climax 24 |OT| New Japan Pro-Wrestling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostmind

Suzuki's post-match comments (translation by yottsume):

yottsume ‏@puro_yottsume 1m
(You now have a chance of winning G1) Suzuki "So what? I don't care about the points. And Naito, you are too weak, you've disappointed me."

Dammmnnnnn...

Naito didn't get a bad reception, but he didn't get too much sympathy either, in spite of Suzuki beating the tar out of him. Good match, best of the show so far although today's not been as hot as the previous two shows. Hopefully the second half will change that.

Suzuki's post-match comments (translation by yottsume):

yottsume ‏@puro_yottsume 1m
(You now have a chance of winning G1) Suzuki "So what? I don't care about the points. And Naito, you are too weak, you've disappointed me."

Dammmnnnnn...

lmao @ that entire quote

ghostmind

That was one of Kojima's best matches this G1, if not the best. Facing Nak had a lot to do with that.

Next up - Styles vs Anderson - this should be interesting...

ghostmind

Day 9 Top Matches
Styles vs. Anderson
Fale vs. Shibata
Naito vs. Suzuki
Okada vs. Goto
Nakamura vs. Kojima

The main event was great, but I'm not a big fan of Goto of late, so that had something to do with its placement.

I really enjoyed the main, thought it was better than their match in February and probably joint MOTN with Anderson/Styles. Kojima/Nakamura was awesome as well, Naito/Suzuki was good (but Naito seemed a little off) and I liked Shibata/Fale.

Here's a few, and a link to the gallery with all the gifs I've made from the tournament so far;

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/z9dlt6orsrj2olyavtfk93xi80qm7fk6

Suzuki.gif

Suzuki1.gif

Shibata1.gif

Kojima2.gif

Anderson4.gif

Goto1.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Boots, where do you find the standings for the Pick'Em? I need to know how I'm doing.

None of the young lions are ready, there's little they can do to change that - Hiromu Takahashi and Takaaki Watanabe are still on their learning excursions, while Yohei Komatsu & Sho Tanaka haven't left on theirs yet. Watanabe & Komatsu both look like they'll end up in the heavyweight division, so I wouldn't be surprised to see either in the G1 within a year or two.

Also, Okada. He's 26 and, last time I checked the standings, doing pretty well in the tournament this year. There's a good chance he'll win the thing and go on to his second Tokyo Dome main event, so how is that not pushing young talent?

If it came down to it, there's also the possibility of talent jumping from NOAH or All Japan, assuming they don't do the logical thing and consolidate. Then again, I can't think of any young lions at either company either.

If it came down to it, there's also the possibility of talent jumping from NOAH or All Japan, assuming they don't do the logical thing and consolidate. Then again, I can't think of any young lions at either company either.
Talent will not be jumping from AJPW. They are on an upswing now. And with their backers, they will PAY to keep talent.

All Japan have a couple of promising ones, namely Kento Miyahara (who is having his breakout year at present, should be a good heavyweight for the future) and Naoya Nomura (Jr. wrestler, green as grass at present, but very young). NOAH don't have any trainees currently, as far as I know. The most promising rookie in Japan at the moment is probably DDT's Konosuke Takeshita - he's going to be very, very good, as he's already showing great signs of progress at only 19 years old. W-1 have the most young lions actively working their cards, with Mutoh's trainees Daiki Inaba & Seiki Yoshioka, as well as recent additions of TAJIRI's students Hiroki Murase & Jiro Kuroshio.

Talent will not be jumping from AJPW. They are on an upswing now. And with their backers, they will PAY to keep talent.

Talent won't be jumping from All Japan because they're all pretty loyal to Akiyama - there's still many questions to be answered about the new backers, though, and it remains to be seen how much they can provide financially. They're back on solid footing, though, drawing pretty well, about as well as NOAH - but, as the previous owners, Shiraishi and Mutoh before him proved, you can't buy success with the Japanese fans. If the product stinks, it doesn't matter how much money the backers have. Akiyama leading the charge was a very smart move, however. The fans have a lot of faith in him as a Kobashi guy.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
DAMN THIS DAY 4 YOU GUYS!

Shinsuke Nakamura vs 100 yeard old Yuji Nagata DAMN. I cant tell if some of these guys hate each other or just get pissed off in the moment, but good lord, so stiff lol. Great match, although I thought for sure Nagata would take it, the finish kinda came out of nowhere. I love Nakamura but damn if the old man Nagata isnt winning me over.

edit: man another one, awesome AJ Styles vs Naito match, thought for sure AJ was winning too. Bit too focused on Naito being busted open again, but got really good near the end

edit: wow Okada vs Karl Anderson was shockingly awesome, by far the best Karl Anderson match so far, he looked really good, and the finish was great with all the rainmaker / cutter reversals and fake outs.

edit: PENALTY KICKUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!! I love Shibata

fuck that was good. Day 4 > Day 1 > Day 3 > Day 2 for me

Fucking hyped for Shibata vs Honma, wouldn't be at all surprised if Nakamura & Tanahashi put on another MOTYC, though.

Hey Jesse, I presume that's you kicking ass in the Voices of Wrestling pick'ems? Congrats.

Thanks, man. Of course, I hit a rough patch and fell down to tied for 3rd in the past couple of shows, but hopefully, I can roll these last few nights. Of course, it'd help if I remembered what results I picked. :)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I was looking at the 2013 results and a bunch of guys had the same 10 points so what decides who goes to the final?

Also started watching day 5, doc gallows vs ishii was good, nice "big guy vs small guy" match... Then again I'm a ishii fanboy so :p

I was looking at the 2013 results and a bunch of guys had the same 10 points so what decides who goes to the final?

Also started watching day 5, doc gallows vs ishii was good, nice "big guy vs small guy" match... Then again I'm a ishii fanboy so :p

I think in 2013, they did head-to-head results. But, some years, they do playoffs, but in other years (I think '09), they did it by a coin flip. Basically, whatever they need to get the result they want.

Remember, NJPW is still wrasslin', so it's not always internally consistent.

Rhaknar

I also caught the current results and saw that Ishii or Shibata can't win and now I'm sad :(

what? I don't think Shibata is eliminated.

And bootaaay, why didn't you tell me Suzuki RTs your gifs! That's awesome! Benjamin too!

man you are a superstar

Rhaknar

what? I don't think Shibata is eliminated.

And bootaaay, why didn't you tell me Suzuki RTs your gifs! That's awesome! Benjamin too!

man you are a superstar

oh he has 10 points, I thought he had 8 like ishii. theres only 1 more day left right, so he could make 12, and theres two guys with 12 already so...yeah :(

jred2k

oh he has 10 points, I thought he had 8 like ishii. theres only 1 more day left right, so he could make 12, and theres two guys with 12 already so...yeah :(

Two more days and then the final so three in total.

Looking forward to a Okada/Nak final. Runner up final of Styles vs. Tanahashi or Shibata would be great too.

Rhaknar

Two more days and then the final so three in total.

Looking forward to a Okada/Nak final. Runner up final of Styles vs. Tanahashi or Shibata would be great too.

oh theres a runner ups match aswell? theres hope!

Tonight's card is kind of meh, but two matches stand out. Yano vs. Makabe in the battle of the former Most Violent Players, and of course, Shibata/Ishii II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom