• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G4 airing Uematsu/Dear Friends special next week

Vibri

Banned
Details: http://www.g4techtv.com/feature.aspx?article_key=47727

Dear-Friendsa.jpg

Someone wanna Bittorrent this?

Mock

Banned
Wow... G4 finally does something cool.

Now someone just needs to kick the shit out of Tommy Tallerico.

gtmax

I'm gonna go with either of those, whichever one has the better deal. I'm tired of the monopoly of TWC. I don't need to have cable to get roadrunner though, do I?

Edit:**Sorry mods. I pressed start thread instead of post reply. Please delete this or merge it into the my thread about G4TV.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Mock said:
Wow... G4 finally does something cool.

Now someone just needs to kick the shit out of Tommy Tallerico.

G4 does have some cool stuff on it every now and then. Just wish there was more of it.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Thanks for the heads up, just set Tivo to record it. Pity it won't be the whole concert, and that it'll be set to game images, not to the concert itself. Ah well.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Mejilan said:
Thanks for the heads up, just set Tivo to record it. Pity it won't be the whole concert, and that it'll be set to game images, not to the concert itself. Ah well.

I think they meant that the they displayed the FMV CGs in the background while the orchestra played the music in sync with the cutscenes

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Actually at the show there were displays that played some of the cutscenes during various tracks. Neat thing to see in motion.

Trevelyon

While we're on the topic of G4, is there any available torrents of their Icons series? I've looked around but haven't found any. :(

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wario64 said:
I think they meant that the they displayed the FMV CGs in the background while the orchestra played the music in sync with the cutscenes

Could be. How long is this Cinematech show, I've never seen it? How long was the concert?

Meh, I'll only be watching it for the music, honestly. So this should tide me over nicely until the CD comes out!

Got it marked down on the calendar. Wouldn't it be cool if they released a DVD of this, maybe with Advent Children? But I doubt that'll happen.

Flynn

Mejilan said:
Could be. How long is this Cinematech show, I've never seen it? How long was the concert?

Meh, I'll only be watching it for the music, honestly. So this should tide me over nicely until the CD comes out!

Cinematech is 30 minutes. Dear Friends was well over an hour.

Vibri

Banned
The article makes it pretty clear:

"Be sure to catch next week’s Cinematech (Tues 7:30PM PST / 10:30PM EST) which features the best of Final Fantasy music, as chosen by Nobuo Uematsu himself before the concert."

"Each track is cut to appropriate images from Final Fantasy, and preceded by commentary from Uematsu. You’ll also be able to catch some exclusive footage of the Dear Friends concert which took place at Disney Hall."

It's not the concert, it's something else - Uematsu's choosing his favorite music from FF and introing each track. If you've watched Cinematech you'll know what that is. Though it sounds like there's some Dear Friends footage mixed in.

silenttwn

I'm pretty sure they're referring to the concert, but they're just saying each piece was chosen by Uematsu. They say that this is for fans who could not make the concert.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
They had a little thing on Xplay tonight, Morgan Webb asking questions outside the Walt Disney concert hall to attendees, and showed some footage of the orchestra playing Liberi Fatali

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
wtf I thought it was this week

Gah, damn thread title!

Oh well, they're showing the Metroid Prime 2 and DMC3 trailer tonight, so all is not lost

aparisi2274

AgentCooper said:
Time Warner carries G4TechTv. You may want to check your cable.

Yeah well they dont carry it in NYC or the 5 boroughs. I already called their customer service Dept. They said that when G4 and TTV merged, TTV ceased to exist and they had no obligation to carry them anymore. However, it seems that the TWC in like Rochester NY carries G4/TTV, so who knows

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm not watching it right now (its recording), but if they're not showing anything from the concert yet, I got a feeling all they're gonna show is the same footage that they showed last week on Xplay

WELL LET'S SEE NOW.

They opened with a massive fuckup. Uematsu was supposed to provide a brief introduction to each piece. So they started off with his favorite piece, which he said was "Final Fantasy." So of course they went ahead and played the wrong piece (Prelude).

Why the use of 'Final Fantasy III' instead of the correct number? I thought we were over the SNES confusion days.

They ended up playing Fithos *twice* - one set to FFVIII footage, then once again as the only snippet from the concert.

The concert footage, shot by Square Enix, looked like pure ass. Stretched out, washed out, kept cutting to random shots, etc.

C-

They showed Liberi Fatali from the concert at the end. That's it. The rest was music from the games with cutscenes. I'm pissed. I figured G4TTV would have something worth watching for once. Fucking jerks.

Vibri

Banned
Just finished watching it. It was mostly Uematsu picking his favorite FF tracks and talking about them. The last track was Liberi Fatali with about five mins from E3 concert.

Dave Long

Banned
Yeah, that was poorly done. At least it sounded decent. Not great, but decent.

I really hope someone was smart enough to film it properly for a DVD release or something.

*sigh*

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
So basically they just replayed the same footage that they did on Xplay last week. Stupid. Although I'm not surprised

Dave Long said:
I really hope someone was smart enough to film it properly for a DVD release or something.
Squeenix's inhouse footage is the only footage that exists. And it apparently looks like shit.

Dave Long said:
You really know how to crush a man's soul right out the bottom of his feet, Mr. Kohler. :(
Misery loves company.

By the way, I don't know if anybody else taped the show - but going by the fact that G4 hasn't aired anything besides this standard footage (and the fact that Squeenix is so protective of their assets), I doubt it.

Thaedolus

Can G4 suck any worse after this? I think not.

From what I've seen of Cinematech, it's the most utterly hacked show ever conceived, from the shots making no sense to the music being cut and snipped for some weird reason or another. Shit the opening video with the FFVII scenes cut back to the ending quarter of the song right as it was ending, then cut off the end. Are these people that talentless? Better fan music videos come out online on a regular basis.

Keep in mind my standards aren't incredibly high here, I would just think a show making it on national TV would have some sense of quality to it.

Dave Long

Banned
Tonight wasn't a total loss. I just kicked Lucifer's ass in Painkiller and finished the game! Bring on the Battle Out of Hell!

Top Bottom