• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, are Organic Foods a scam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDenny

Aren't some foods naturally organic and don't really have a pest problem?
I don't mind if grocery's stores charge more for organic but sometimes the price mark up is ridiculous.

Aren't some foods naturally organic and don't really have a pest problem?
Tubers and other root vegetables will generally be safe from most common crop destroying bugs by their nature. Carrots, beets, turnips, parsnips, ginger, radish, etc., etc. Because the bulk of what you eat is below the soil. Onions especially.

Things like bananas or oranges (or most citrus really) will be safe from anything but borer insects. Your biggest culprits are soft fleshed fruits (tomatoes especially) and lettuces or any kind of green like collards, kale or spinach.

andycapps

These. One million god damned fucking times, THESE!

Organic foods being pesticide free is probably one of the most obnoxious and often repeated lies Ive seen. Neem, pyrethrin and even DEET are used as pesticides and yet considered 'organic'.

Your absolute best option* for produce is to buy locally grown. That alone will make the biggest difference in taste and nutrition, especially with things like tomatoes and other fruits with short shelf lives.

* Actually your best option is to grow it yourself. Once you've had a tomato fresh from the garden you can't really go back to grocery store cold storage ever again.

I had no clue they used DEET as a pesticide on organic foods. The problem with the term of "organic" is that it's fucking arbitrary. DEET is not a naturally occurring substance, and the government recommends against coming into contact over a certain level of DEET because it's harmful. Yet, it's acceptable on "organic" foods. Fucking LOL.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Was a good episode of Bullshit on this

I agree. The Penn and Teller Bullshit episode about organic foods was fantastic. I personally always find the logic behind the labeling 'Organic' to be flawed or non-existent.

cbox

"Organic" is not purely marketing:
http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/usdahome?navid=ORGANIC_CERTIFICATIO

all the others are though. Ugh, gluten-free. Suddenly everybody has a "gluten allergy," under the guise of wanting to lose weight.

Sorry, I didn't mean to say it was 100% marketing, though recently it seems as though some foods are just slapped with an organic sticker and a higher price point.

I shit you not, I saw a bottle of juice on sale at a store the other day that said gluten free and I nearly lost my shit.

Just look for the actual certification because anyone can put ORGANIC in a title without having to actually go about the standards. From my own personal experience a lot of Organic grocers are overpriced but taste better. I've found the solution is to hit up your local farmer's market. Cheap, delicious and you're sustaining local farms.

so foods treated with lots of chemicals and pesticides are exactly the same as food that isnt treated with any of that?
Yes.

The pesticides used in the production of normal food were only defected to the same levels as the organic equivalent in all food sampled in the study anyway (it's in the article). Also, contrary to popular belief, a lot of organic food production uses pesticides, but they use "organic" equivalents that contain naturally occurring sources of the same substances that keep the insects away or kill them as the commercial ones (reason being that these substances do work).

The main difference is that thanks to differences in concentration, the organic crop needs more frequent spraying.

Aren't there suppose to be environmental benefits to organics?
Organic yields per hectare are really crap and the produce has a shorter shelf life, so any benefits are swamped by the increased land use.

Locavorism isn't the answer either, because not all climates are suitable for growing certain types of food or produce. It is actually cheaper in terms of carbon emissions per kilo of produce to grow certain crops in New Zealand, then put these on refrigerated ships and ship them to England than for Londoners to get them from English farms. The difficulty of growing them in the UK swamps the emissions from transport.

Of course, you can solve that issue by curtailing your diet to include only things that can be grown sustainably in the local area. Of course this means no mangoes for Vancouverites and the entire city of Tokyo starves to death.

marrec

Banned
I agree. The Penn and Teller Bullshit episode about organic foods was fantastic. I personally always find the logic behind the labeling 'Organic' to be flawed or non-existent.

If you liked Penn and Tellers take, then you'll probably like Brian Dunning's multiple takes as well.

Just look for the actual certification because anyone can put ORGANIC in a title without having to actually go about the standards. From my own personal experience a lot of Organic grocers are overpriced but taste better. I've found the solution is to hit up your local farmer's market. Cheap, delicious and you're sustaining local farms.

BOOM!

Most of the benefits of Organic foods (taste... is the only benefit I can think of) can be found at the farmer's market at significantly reduced prices.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
That's a hell of a claim to make based on gut feelings.

Not really a claim. An opinion. On an internet message board. Processed foods and shitty chemicals not affecting humans at all is a crazier claim.

I had no clue they used DEET as a pesticide on organic foods. The problem with the term of "organic" is that it's fucking arbitrary. DEET is not a naturally occurring substance, and the government recommends against coming into contact over a certain level of DEET because it's harmful. Yet, it's acceptable on "organic" foods. Fucking LOL.
Admittedly, DEET has the most controversy of all the 'organic' pesticides (and for good reason).

If you liked Penn and Tellers take, then you'll probably like Brian Dunning's multiple takes as well.

BOOM!

Most of the benefits of Organic foods (taste... is the only benefit I can think of) can be found at the farmer's market at significantly reduced prices.

Well I don't know what they sell in your guy's stores but a lot of "Organic" stuff comes without sugar, hfcs and hormones.

marrec

Banned
Well I don't know what they sell in your guy's stores but a lot of "Organic" stuff comes without sugar and hfcs.

I tend not to buy 'organic' processed foods on purpose so I'm not sure what benefits they hold. I was strictly talking about fruits and veggies.

If you're looking to cut out HFCS then finding 'organic' stuff might be extremely beneficial. Although, HFCS is certified organic anyway isn't it?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I don't know how much you know about organic food (i'm not an expert)...

Trust me, I'm not even that crazy about it. But once we had our son the shift was easy. Especially here in America. In Japan with the food standards being different, we're much more lax.

My son's favorites.

AnniesbunnyGummysLG.jpg
300.jpg

livestOne

The organic thing isn't a ripoff per-se it's just an over simplified term put out there so people aren't confused when they're shopping. It's so you can think I want "organic" I don't want any of those "chemicals", are people gonna do the research to see what specific "chemicals" are being sprayed on their foods and the studies and long term effects if any?.. no, I don't do it nobody does. It's easier to understand chemicals bad organic good.

Locavorism isn't the answer either, because not all climates are suitable for growing certain types of food or produce. It is actually cheaper in terms of carbon emissions per kilo of produce to grow certain crops in New Zealand, then put these on refrigerated ships and ship them to England than for Londoners to get them from English farms. The difficulty of growing them in the UK swamps the emissions from transport.

Problem is the food that is flown. I'm happy to buy bananas, but I feel guilty buying kiwis.

I can afford to buy locally-grown food, so I do (and purchased from the farmer's market, it's typically priced competitively). I was pretty startled to find that eggs from free-range hens taste better.

The thing is that, in terms of taste at least, youre getting more of a benefit from the produce being fresh and not refrigerated for weeks than you are from it being organic. Cold storage tomatoes, organic or not, will always taste like mealy crap compared to a fresh tomato.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Non GMO and hormone free is pretty important, and foods that qualify usually fall under the organic umbrella.

While its not a be all end all solution, and other factors are just as if not more important than simply being organic, I'm curious as to the dietary habits of people flat out calling it a "scam".

gwarm01

Not really a claim. An opinion. On an internet message board. is a crazier claim.

I didn't say "Processed foods and shitty chemicals not affecting humans at all." I think the obesity epidemic is directly tied to that.

However, I did reply to your opinion. On an internet message board. That's the whole point of this thing.

marrec

Banned
The thing is that, in terms of taste at least, youre getting more of a benefit from the produce being fresh and not refrigerated for weeks than you are from it being organic. Cold storage tomatoes, organic or not, will always taste like mealy crap compared to a fresh tomato.

Indeed.

Better off just hitting a farmer's market. Or hell, going to the farm and picking it yourself.

Nothing better than strawberries right off the vine. Organic or not, that sun warmed strawberry is going to be miles better than anything you'd find at the store.

Non GMO and hormone free is pretty important, and foods that qualify usually fall under the organic umbrella.

While its not a be all end all solution, and other factors are just as if not more important than simply being organic, I'm curious as to the dietary habits of people flat out calling it a "scam".

Why?

I'm an expert

I'm curious as to the dietary habits of people flat out calling it a "scam".

You probably don't want to know lol.

I didn't say "Processed foods and shitty chemicals not affecting humans at all." I think the obesity epidemic is directly tied to that.

However, I did reply to your opinion. On an internet message board. That's the whole point of this thing.

Obesity was under my umbrella of "illness", definitely.

SnakeXs

Although, HFCS is certified organic anyway isn't it?

There is also no organic HFCS available, because organic standards prohibit genetically-modified organisms (GMOs).

Which is why organic/all natural soda producers use organic sugar/organic evaporated cane juice.

I tend not to buy 'organic' processed foods on purpose so I'm not sure what benefits they hold. I was strictly talking about fruits and veggies.

If you're looking to cut out HFCS then finding 'organic' stuff might be extremely beneficial. Although, HFCS is certified organic anyway isn't it?

Not sure about HFCS but much of the "organic" brands I tend to scout out whether it's ketchup, stock, sauces, etc tend to not utilize that, transfat or unnecessary sugars.

Which is why organic/all natural soda producers use organic sugar/organic evaporated cane juice.

Well that would explain why I never see it.

SnakeXs

You probably don't want to know lol.

It's either people who are try to live a self sustaining lifestyle and super support local growers and agriculture, or its bachelors downing frozen dinners, Dominos and processed foods. I wonder the split... :p

milanbaros

Member?
Yes.

The pesticides used in the production of normal food were only defected to the same levels as the organic equivalent in all food sampled in the study anyway (it's in the article). Also, contrary to popular belief, a lot of organic food production uses pesticides, but they use "organic" equivalents that contain naturally occurring sources of the same substances that keep the insects away or kill them as the commercial ones (reason being that these substances do work).

The main difference is that thanks to differences in concentration, the organic crop needs more frequent spraying.

Organic yields per hectare are really crap and the produce has a shorter shelf life, so any benefits are swamped by the increased land use.

Of course, you can solve that issue by curtailing your diet to include only things that can be grown sustainably in the local area. Of course this means no mangoes for Vancouverites and the entire city of Tokyo starves to death.

Very good post. 'Buying local' and 'organic' can be more harmful for the environment. The CO2 used in transport is something like 7% of total related to food production. It can be incredibly more environmentally efficient to grow the food where it is best suited then ship it over. Same for organic, can be much better to get 50% higher yields and feed more people than having to chop down rain forest to accomodate people who want their food low yield organic.

marrec

Banned
Not sure about HFCS but much of the "organic" brands I tend to scout out whether it's ketchup, stock, sauces, etc tend to not utilize that, transfat or unnecessary sugars.

Come to think of it, we do usually buy 'organic' ketchup and mustard specifically because it tastes less sweet than the normal stuff. I can't speak to the health benefits, but man most of the stuff people put on food is either salted to hell or sickly sweet... unless it says 'organic' on the bottle.

It's hit or miss though, lots of organic stuff is just as shitty as the non-organic stuff. For example, I tried 'Organic' coffee the other day and it just straight up tasted like dirt. It was the worst coffee I've ever tried.

HFCS doesn't occur in nature and undergoes a pretty complex stuff.

You can have organic corn syrup, but not HFCS.

I see, thanks for the info.

It's not a matter of being "better" nutrition wise, it's a matter of eating fewer pesticides and such

I don't really bother with buying organic stuff at the supermarket though, for reasons pointed out in this thread.

I find farmer's market/specialty store (like cheese shop/butcher) food superior to all foods one can buy so if that stuff is organic (which usu it is) then yes. But if it's supermarket food that has "organic" stamped on it, I tend to think those are a scam.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Come to think of it, we do usually buy 'organic' ketchup and mustard specifically because it tastes less sweet than the normal stuff. I can't speak to the health benefits, but man most of the stuff people put on food is either salted to hell or sickly sweet... unless it says 'organic' on the bottle.

This is why I buy low carb/sugarfree/no added sugar stuff, everything else is too sweet for my tastebuds.

It's not a matter of being "better" nutrition wise, it's a matter of eating fewer pesticides and such

Again, organic produce still uses pesticides, just organic ones which may not be safer than synthetic ones.

It's hit or miss though, lots of organic stuff is just as shitty as the non-organic stuff. For example, I tried 'Organic' coffee the other day and it just straight up tasted like dirt. It was the worst coffee I've ever tried.

They put unnecessary sugars in fucking chicken stock now. It's beyond ridiculous. As far as coffee goes I'm in Portland. It, Seattle and SF don't fuck around about getting/having the good stuff.

blackflag

I don't pay attention normally and don't care but it seems at the place I get my veges some of the organic stuff always seems more fresh so when it is I'll get that.

I grow the majority of the produce I eat without pesticides of any kind, but I admit Im in the unusual position of having space to do that. What I dont grow I usually get from one of the two farmers markets in my area. What little I buy from the grocery store is generally things that cant grow in my area: bananas, avocados and citrus being the biggest culprits.

In terms of GMO vs not, I do grow many hybrid plants though this year I made an effort to grow more heirloom plants than not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom