• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

hip-hop moves too fucking fast. i'm a grown ass man i got a job and shit i can't keep up fuck.
i might just become a metalhead, this shits too stressful.

I work 45 to 50 hours a week and yet somehow I'm still able to digest pretty much two-thirds of everything that drops.

Recon

Banned
I work 45 to 50 hours a week and yet somehow I'm still able to digest pretty much two-thirds of everything that drops.

With going to school full time, and working on my own music, hanging out with friends, i dont have enough time to go through everything, not even close. But i also take my time with new music, unless i dislike it.

CRS

I tried to keep up with releases and listen to them on the day they came out but I felt like it was a job so now I take my time and get around to my download folder one tape at a time. I enjoy the music a lot more now and it's fun again. Sucks if I miss out on a record or two but I rather enjoy the music that I do get around to.

Jay Sosa

Okay, a better alternative to the Drake shit that's 1.99 on Amazon:

Mayer Hawthorne's How Do You Do + Digibook: http://www.amazon.com/How-Do-You-Digital-Booklet/dp/B005RAQRQO/ref=sr_1_74?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1322535275&sr=1-74

If I buy this, will HiRes let me into his elite hipster group?

says the guy with the hipster glasses

The Roots album is getting mixed reviews on SOHH...damn, I'm surprised and kind of scared to listen now. Apparently there's lots of singing on it

As long as there are no tracks with Peedi which ruin the entire mood of the album I'm looking forward to listen to it. But I actually love soul and good RnB so I don't mind singing at all.

IrishNinja

my turn!

random order top 10 AOTY:

(this spot reserved for posthumous Nujabes album)
Cunninlynguists - Oneirology (though honestly not as good as death is silent)
Curren$y - Covert Coup
Drake - Take Care
Tyler the Creator - Goblin (not as good as Bastard, but got rotation)
Jay-Z & Kanye West - Watch The Throne
Shabazz Palaces - Black Up
(this spot reserved for Common - The Dreamer, the Believer)
(this spot possible reserved for The Roots - Undun)
(...i'm forgetting some shit that goes here)

honorable mentions:
Rae Shaolin v Wu - not a bad album, prolly finishes my top 10 but i didnt love it like i did bits of OB4CL2
Big KRIT - Return of 4eva
Em & Royce - bad meets evil 2
Phonte - Charity starts at home (wasn't really memorable though, to be honest - and im a fan)
Elmatic but it didnt stay in rotation for me - problem with these beats is they kinda make me wanna just to listen to illmatic again.

nah
Slaughterhouse (will try again though)
Lasers...
Talib - Gutter Rainbows

still didnt hear section80 or doomtree.

Yooooooo GAF-Hop I haven't been around these parts in a minute :(
Anyway just dropping this off:

RZA discusses his top 5 MC's

good to see you man, good link too.

New Big Boi LP? FUCK YES. Sir Lucius Left Foot was the best thing Outkast has done since ATLiens.

can't co-sign this (though it was an awesome album) but HYPE nonetheless!

consequence was the best artist on GOOD music, might as well call it a wrap and shut it down if he's gone.

Mos Def fell off so hard left a crater in the ground when he hit. Which sucks cause black on both sides is such a fantastic album.

ahaha YES i fuckin' love it.

ps +1 to the waiting on proper Roots drop camp - not judging, but just can't bring myself to do it. plus, knowing that ive got that + Com on deck feels more like christmas.

IrishNinja

fair call; it prolly was. reflection eternal 2 or whatever prolly was as well - i just can't fuck with Talib anymore, personally. i fucking adored blackstar, and really dug Quality, but everything from Beautiful Struggle onwards - official releases, mixtapes, even seeing dude live - has been a series of such disappointments that i'm sick of his style/90% of his content and honestly dont wanna hear him again until he and Mos get their shit right and say "you know? we need to do another track like Thieves in the fucking night."

i cant hear Respiration or even brown skinned lady and then anything kweli puts out these days. siddx nailed it too: throw on miss fat booty, brooklyn, mister n*gga etc and then anything of mos' recent stuff. even true magic or his last one, which wasnt even bad, pales in comparison.

IrishNinja

...and, fuck it! let's talk about Outkast too.

blackace legitimately thinks it's big boi, which is fair cause dude's entitled to his opinion especially if he can ban a ninja even when he says crazy shit like phife = tribe. and it's possible the rest of you claiming likewise feel that way too, even if i do kinda suspect that at least one of you are jumping on that bandwagon. here's my only problem with that - bear in mind, its your opinion etc etc

**puts on dickrider hat**

i think em nailed it a while back putting 3 stacks in his top 7 or whatever. how many dudes have a flow so versatile they can just sort've effortlessly weave in & out of some heavy shit, to clubbanger type shit, to just telling a story that doesn't sound like they wrote about it from the project window? i can name black thought and like a few other dudes at best.

that's the whole point to us getting mad that andre's been on some bullshit for years now! but ill even defend his love below or whatever disc; dracula's wedding was a trip and i can personally just listen to him flow on shit like a life in the day of benjamin like thought did on web 2.0, i love shit like that.

i don't get how a dude's present work sucking ass take from his classic shit. in terms of legacy or whatever, sure, but in terms of i just put my headsets on & threw on southerplaylistic or aquemini or whatever, cmon. Nas' sonic cycle and even if he does another 3 streets disciple or whatever, it doesnt change how dope illmatic sounds. i don't get that! if we magically see an Outkast album next year, ill adjust my expectations accordingly, but it cant retroactively make the great albums sound lesser to me.

TL;DR Metal Gear Solid 4 being what it was didn't MGS3 any less of being one of the best games of all time, no matter how hard it tried. i mean, fuck kojima, para-medic gave gray fox a fucking vivisection, really man?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
hoodiemusicjadakiss.jpg

Don't know what to do with this, found this on mixtapetorrent, had to post this because its just too ridiculous haha.
ahah

hahahahahhaahahahahhahahaha

RJT

fair call; it prolly was. reflection eternal 2 or whatever prolly was as well - i just can't fuck with Talib anymore, personally. i fucking adored blackstar, and really dug Quality, but everything from Beautiful Struggle onwards - official releases, mixtapes, even seeing dude live - has been a series of such disappointments that i'm sick of his style/90% of his content and honestly dont wanna hear him again until he and Mos get their shit right and say "you know? we need to do another track like Thieves in the fucking night."

i cant hear Respiration or even brown skinned lady and then anything kweli puts out these days. siddx nailed it too: throw on miss fat booty, brooklyn, mister n*gga etc and then anything of mos' recent stuff. even true magic or his last one, which wasnt even bad, pales in comparison.

Can't disagree with any of that. Blackstar is my favorite album ever, nothing he or Mos do nowadays is even on the same league.

Kweli is probably the most intelligent MC in the game, but he can't seem to focus on his own. I'm hoping a new Blackstar, or a full album with either Common or Kanye bring Kweli back to his former self.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
...and, fuck it! let's talk about Outkast too.

blackace legitimately thinks it's big boi, which is fair cause dude's entitled to his opinion especially if he can ban a ninja even when he says crazy shit like phife = tribe. and it's possible the rest of you claiming likewise feel that way too, even if i do kinda suspect that at least one of you are jumping on that bandwagon. here's my only problem with that - bear in mind, its your opinion etc etc

**puts on dickrider hat**

i think em nailed it a while back putting 3 stacks in his top 7 or whatever. how many dudes have a flow so versatile they can just sort've effortlessly weave in & out of some heavy shit, to clubbanger type shit, to just telling a story that doesn't sound like they wrote about it from the project window? i can name black thought and like a few other dudes at best.

that's the whole point to us getting mad that andre's been on some bullshit for years now! but ill even defend his love below or whatever disc; dracula's wedding was a trip and i can personally just listen to him flow on shit like a life in the day of benjamin like thought did on web 2.0, i love shit like that.

i don't get how a dude's present work sucking ass take from his classic shit. in terms of legacy or whatever, sure, but in terms of i just put my headsets on & threw on southerplaylistic or aquemini or whatever, cmon. Nas' sonic cycle and even if he does another 3 streets disciple or whatever, it doesnt change how dope illmatic sounds. i don't get that! if we magically see an Outkast album next year, ill adjust my expectations accordingly, but it cant retroactively make the great albums sound lesser to me.

TL;DR Metal Gear Solid 4 being what it was didn't MGS3 any less of being one of the best games of all time, no matter how hard it tried. i mean, fuck kojima, para-medic gave gray fox a fucking vivisection, really man?

lol.. Are you talking about the actor?

And yes Andre and Tip were the mouthpieces or their groups..but Big Boi and Phife were the souls.. If mighty mutt didn't get real ill like he did the he would have most likely gone the same route that Big Boi has...

It is not that Q-Tip has made bad music but he has made Tribe like music since he left... Phife put out one EP that was soooo raw and Tribe like you almost cry when you hear Q-Tip crooning about vibrant things... Same with Big Boi, his albums sound like the Outkast of old... I don't mind growth as an artist but I think you can't just forget what made you into what you are and Andre has...

coldvein

Banned
kinda agree with ace that in a way big boi is the soul of outkast. andre, a mouthpiece? i dunno.. think he deserves more credit than that. regardless, there is no outkast without 3k. period.

DominoKid

lol.. Are you talking about the actor?

And yes Andre and Tip were the mouthpieces or their groups..but Big Boi and Phife were the souls.. If mighty mutt didn't get real ill like he did the he would have most likely gone the same route that Big Boi has...

It is not that Q-Tip has made bad music but he has made Tribe like music since he left... Phife put out one EP that was soooo raw and Tribe like you almost cry when you hear Q-Tip crooning about vibrant things... Same with Big Boi, his albums sound like the Outkast of old... I don't mind growth as an artist but I think you can't just forget what made you into what you are and Andre has...

i take offense to the fact that Phife was the heart considering Tip did all the heavy lifting when it came to actually making their music. especially after seeing the documentary. Phife was just...there tbh. he was essentially a tool in Tip's arsenal.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I don't think I could personally accept Drake's Take Care being on a list anywhere close to a Nujabes Posthumous album :(

Tokubetsu

kinda agree with ace that in a way big boi is the soul of outkast. andre, a mouthpiece? i dunno.. think he deserves more credit than that. regardless, there is no outkast without 3k. period.

Big Boi is the baseline. He keeps Andre 3k grounded. As evidenced by all the god awful 3k verse we've been getting in the last two years. He needs Big Boi in his life. "also every song 3k has rapped on in the last 5 years strategically cuts the drums for a few bars so you don't notice when he falls off beat." is probably the funniest and saddest (because it's true) thing a certain rap critic has said about the whole 3k shit. I seriously don't know how some folks here can think his verse on Take Care is great let alone decent. He's been hitting Em levels of awful these days.

Blackace

i take offense to the fact that Phife was the heart considering Tip did all the heavy lifting when it came to actually making their music. especially after seeing the documentary. Phife was just...there tbh. he was essentially a tool in Tip's arsenal.

I don't agree with this assessment in the slightest. And stand by what I said. Over the years a lot of folks helped to create each others in groups... But if you never heard Ventilation: Da LP and compared it to Tip's post Tribe work only Phife had that Tribe sound...He released an album in 2011 have not heard it yet hard to find it seems...

OG Kush

Udun is so good.
Also why we always gotta choose one or the other. Tribe wouldn't be tribe without either phife or q and Outkast wouldn't be outkast with big boi or andre.
I don't agree with this assessment in the slightest. And stand by what I said. Over the years a lot of folks helped to create each others in groups... But if you never heard Ventilation: Da LP and compared it to Tip's post Tribe work only Phife had that Tribe sound...He released an album in 2011 have not heard it yet hard to find it seems...

The production ins Ventilation is damn good.

Recon

Banned
that's the bottom line, yeah. maybe andre needs big boi more than big boi needs andre. but they need eachother in order to be outkast.

There isnt an outkast anymore though. Last Outkast album was Stankonia, and that came out before i was in highschool.

Blackace

that's the bottom line, yeah. maybe andre needs big boi more than big boi needs andre. but they need eachother in order to be outkast.

I didn't miss Andre too much during Big Boi's album...

coldvein

Banned
There isnt an outkast anymore though. Last Outkast album was Stankonia, and that came out before i was in highschool.

youngin. true though, there is no more outkast. bigboi and andre did their thing together, they put out some all time classics. they're apparently done. i'm alright with that.

Recon

Banned
youngin. true though, there is no more outkast. bigboi and andre did their thing together, they put out some all time classics. they're apparently done. i'm alright with that.

To be fair, it was the year before i got into high school. I wish i felt young. I feel a very old 25, especially when im in classes with 18 year olds. But 18 year old females love a dude with his own apartment and can buy alcohol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom