• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember people used to hit me over the head with the Papoose arguments. "He's gonna blow up, son." "So much better than 50 Cent, he's bringing NYC back." "Listen to dat Alphabetical Slaughter, he's so lyrical."

I told em HELL no, but for a second I thought it was really happening with that Touch It Remix verse.

But then I was right.

Slizz

I remember people used to hit me over the head with the Papoose arguments. "He's gonna blow up, son." "So much better than 50 Cent, he's bringing NYC back." "Listen to dat Alphabetical Slaughter, he's so lyrical."

I told em HELL no, but for a second I thought it was really happening with that Touch It Remix verse.

But then I was right.

I had the same sentiment. Didn't help he said his name with a ridic accent. Pa-POOOse, got the state of NY in the palm of my hannnnddssssss. Trash.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
w

Hahaah what? P and Birdman have been raping their artists when diddy was still a skinny ass dude looking ridiculous in biggie videos. If anything Diddy learned from them.

I think you need a successful stable to rape.. Diddy has never had that

Double D

front+9.gif

A gifmaster needs to get a hold of this and loop it perfectly so it's just constant jazz hand.

But then I was right.
I was one of the people who thought Papoose was going to blow up. I didn't even think Alphabetical Slaughter was his best work, but I thought he was going to do something.

Boy, was I wrong.

Esch

Banned
Papoose has stans, which is something i still can't wrap my head around. Almost as absurd as people willingly listening to Hopsin.

Recon

Banned
Papoose and Cham have similar flows, and yet people seem to like the latter lame...

You hate on Cham, but he is really underrated. The guy spit so hard on Controversy Sells.

Also, they really dont have similar flow. Papoose is about the most generic rapper you can find.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
There are only three times it's appropriate to wear gloves.

1. When it's cold as fuck outside
2. When you are murdering somebody
3. If you sweat like a pig on stage and don't want the mic slipping out of your hand.

If I see you rocking gloves in 50+ degree weather I'm going to have to borrow those gloves to murder you.

PBY

Banned
There are only three times it's appropriate to wear gloves.

1. When it's cold as fuck outside
2. When you are murdering somebody
3. If you sweat like a pig on stage and don't want the mic slipping out of your hand.

If I see you rocking gloves in 50+ degree weather I'm going to have to borrow those gloves to murder you.

but WIDE RECEIVER gloves? In my mind, they're only acceptable if you're playing football.

siddx

but WIDE RECEIVER gloves? In my mind, they're only acceptable if you're playing football.

Of course, I'm talking gloves appropriate to each scenario. Drake ain't catching shit but feelings. So he shouldn't be rocking ugly ass WR gloves.

bakeray

I'm just having a hard time digging the production on Radioactive. the tracks that go bang hard, like Write Your Name, but the majority of them just seem to be missing something.

siddx

As long as shady doesn't shift it's entire focus elsewhere now, Radioactive still has potential to sell once they get a proper single out. There are three potential "make white girls buy this album" tracks on there. Get em out and push them hard and radioactive could easily sell well. But if shady half asses it like I feel they will, it's time for Yela to start spending 300 days on the road making his money with shows.

the production on Write Your Name isn't anything to write home about either, but yeah I still like Justice League.

Ouch at album sales, shady records curse at it again. He deserves better than this.

bakeray

the production on Write Your Name isn't anything to write home about either, but yeah I still like Justice League.

Ouch at album sales, shady records curse at it again. He deserves better than this.
Yeah.. it's not really much to write home about and 'bangs hard' is probably about the worst phrase I could've used but I just can't stand to listen to tracks like Growin' up in the Gutter where it sounds like dubstep fucked Trent Reznor and had a baby.

Growin up in the Gutter is like some shitty ass wannabe NIN shit forreal. But I gotta say I still like most of the tracks on the album.

Even if he made Trunk Muzik 2.0 I doubt it would sell very well. I guess the fanbase isn't there. I can see Big KRIT not doing so well either.

How da fuck is boring ass J Cole so successful?!

Macca

Growin up in the Gutter is like some shitty ass wannabe NIN shit forreal. But I gotta say I still like most of the tracks on the album.

Even if he made Trunk Muzik 2.0 I doubt it would sell very well. I guess the fanbase isn't there. I can see Big KRIT not doing so well either.

How da fuck is boring ass J Cole so successful?!
Good marketing.

siddx

Animal needs to be released as a single ASAP. It needs a bitchin ass video too.

Yup, Animal and Good Girl need videos. Hardest Love Song should be released a little latter as well.

Growin Up in The Gutter is a great beat. Ya'll don't know shit about dick about shit.

Macca

Yup, Animal and Good Girl need videos. Hardest Love Song should be released a little latter as well.
I think you said it before, but Hard White should never have been the first single off that album. There is no way in hell that was going to be big, even with Lil Jon on the track.

Those three tracks definitely have potential to be big, but I don't know if I have faith. The next single up is Let's Roll, which they just filmed a video for.

Seconded on that Gutter beat too. It's Yela's whispering ass that pulls the song down.

siddx

You know I completely disregard Lets Roll because I hate what Kid Rock has become but it's actually a pretty good song now that you mention it, it could have potential.

But yeah, Hard White should have never been a single. It's one of my favorite songs of the year but it appeals to a very narrow band of people. Throw It Up should have been the "street single" and Lets Roll should have dropped 2 weeks before the album, with one of the three we talked about coming out on release day or near.

bakeray

I think you said it before, but Hard White should never have been the first single off that album. There is no way in hell that was going to be big, even with Lil Jon on the track.

Those three tracks definitely have potential to be big, but I don't know if I have faith. The next single up is Let's Roll, which they just filmed a video for.

Seconded on that Gutter beat too. It's Yela's whispering ass that pulls the song down.
Guess it's just different strokes for different folks. Still going to give the album a few more plays and see if it grows on me.

Macca

Cole had horrible marketing. His fanbase helped him.
I both agree and disagree. To leverage that fan base, you need marketing. He had good singles, good tracks with well known artists and was using twitter and such in order to promote himself much like he had done before being signed.

Coles promotion was pretty damn good. I was seeing him all over Vevo and Youtube and shit before that album came out. When he got his Jay Z collab it was pretty big news. I'm not saying the dude didn't grind, he did. He was pretty damn masterful at marketing himself.

I think that's the big difference between the two, Cole knows how to market himself to his fans, Yela doesn't.

siddx

I both agree and disagree. To leverage that fan base, you need marketing. He had good singles, good tracks with well known artists and was using twitter and such in order to promote himself much like he had done before being signed.

Coles promotion was pretty damn good. I was seeing him all over Vevo and Youtube and shit before that album came out. When he got his Jay Z collab it was pretty big news. I'm not saying the dude didn't grind, he did. He was pretty damn masterful at marketing himself.

I think that's the big difference between the two, Cole knows how to market himself to his fans, Yela doesn't.

Cole's also a little soft faced pretty boy with a teenager's mustache. Every girl that see's a picture of him gets all wet in the crotch. Yela looks like he'll fuck you in the ass, steal money out of your purse, and then call you for bail money. It appeals to a very different spectrum of women that isn't quite as large as J Cole's.

Recon

Banned
Cole's also a little soft faced pretty boy with a teenager's mustache. Every girl that see's a picture of him gets all wet in the crotch. Yela looks like he'll fuck you in the ass, steal money out of your purse, and then call you for bail money. It appeals to a very different spectrum of women that isn't quite as large as J Cole's.

Cole was also true to his fan base. He got that many fans by releasing the same music he did on Cole World, whether you like that music is not the issue. Yelas fans were probably expecting something hard hitting, he really dropped the ball on that. I liked Radioactive, but it isn't hard to see why Cole's fans showed up, and Yelas didn't.

Kusagari

They shouldn't have released the album until Yela had some sort of hit. He had nowhere near the fanbase built up as Cole to release the album without any kind of recognizable single.

Macca

Cole was also true to his fan base. He got that many fans by releasing the same music he did on Cole World, whether you like that music is not the issue. Yelas fans were probably expecting something hard hitting, he really dropped the ball on that. I liked Radioactive, but it isn't hard to see why Cole's fans showed up, and Yelas didn't.
He definitely was. I truly think Yelawolf needed another mixtape between 0-60 and Radioactive. His buzz really didn't start growing until after 0-60 released and another mixtape would have had fans counting down, and sharing. Similar to Cole with Friday Night Lights and R4 from Krit he really could've built something.

Jay Sosa

Hey wait...didn't you guys all laughed at me when I said Yela isn't really marketable and wouldn't do numbers anywhere near to Cole?

And no matter what you guys say Cole World is a very good debut and like someone mentioned he gave people who liked his tapes what they want. Only about two tracks stood out negatively (Nice Watch and that other more uptempo track, forgot the name)

Haven't heard much from Yela but the tracks I heard posted here are bad (Lil John) to average (Rittz song) to decent (that one with Gangsta Boo). Not one of them was as good as the songs I remember from the soundquality-wise really bad Trunk Muzik tape .

You ever been to a show with castle swag with pyrotechnics and lasers and gladiator kilts? yeah

So they're like Britney Spears concerts? Awesome! (not that I've ever seen or been to a Britney concert).

Recon

Banned
Hey wait...didn't you guys all laughed at me when I said Yela isn't really marketable and wouldn't do numbers anywhere near to Cole?

And no matter what you guys say Cole World is a very good debut and like someone mentioned he gave people who liked his tapes what they want. Only about two tracks stood out negatively (Nice Watch and that other more uptempo track, forgot the name)

Haven't heard much from Yela but the tracks I heard posted here are bad (Lil John) to average (Rittz song) to decent (that one with Gangsta Boo). Not one of them was as good as the songs I remember from the soundquality-wise really bad Trunk Muzik tape .

I always said Radioactive wasnt going to do that well. I thought the Eminem factor would at least push him above 100k, but 40k isn't surprising,

Macca

But Yela IS marketable. He's unique, with a good sound. I just don't think Radioactive knows what it wants to be, and I don't think Shady knows what they want him to be either.

nah, Shady can't market shit. If they had Drake on their hands they would fumble that ball too.

Yelawolf should have done some heavy self-promotion.

Recon

Banned
But Yela IS marketable. He's unique, with a good sound. I just don't think Radioactive knows what it wants to be, and I don't think Shady knows what they want him to be either.

I think 6-7 years ago he would of been marketable, when the south had their big wave of popularity. Not so much now. Don't get me wrong, he should be selling more than 40k his first week, but i don't see him as a big numbers guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom