• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recon

Banned
nah, Shady can't market shit. If they had Drake on their hands they would fumble that ball too.

Yelawolf should have done some heavy self-promotion.

Shady has never had to do any promotion. 50 Cent hit it big with one single, then after that they never had to promote him. D12 sold only because of how popular Em was. The Shady Record Compilation went platinum because of Eminems name. Obie Trice debut went #1 and has sold 900k. Obie fucking trice. Eminem's weed carrier's weed carrier. Eminem and Dre don't know how to market, they have relied on their name to promote since forever.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I think 6-7 years ago he would of been marketable, when the south had their big wave of popularity. Not so much now. Don't get me wrong, he should be selling more than 40k his first week, but i don't see him as a big numbers guy.

I don't think he would have done well during the Crunk era...

Macca

Well yea I agree. I think Shady dropped the ball big time. The thing is, you say Em and Dre don't know how to market, which is completely true. They're not marketers. It makes you wonder how whoever the fuck they're hiring is dropping the ball so bad.

Blackace

Well yea I agree. I think Shady dropped the ball big time. The thing is, you say Em and Dre don't know how to market, which is completely true. They're not marketers. It makes you wonder how whoever the fuck they're hiring is dropping the ball so bad.

As much as I love Dre and Em... You have to blame them...

Why should they know how to market? Eminem has a history of releasing shit singles and still selling millions. Likewise Dre hasn't released anything of note in like half a decade, yet the mere mention of his name can garner tons of views or sales for an artist.

That "business model" doesn't work for mortals. Yele had no single, wasn't touring crazy hard, and didn't really have the buzz that surrounded the releases of guys like Cole, Sean, etc. Shady should have had Yele grinding on the road, maybe release another mixtape. Then next year go for a spring/summer anthem.

If they fucked up on the white boy, Slaughterhouse has NO chance lol.

Jay Sosa

nah, Shady can't market shit. If they had Drake on their hands they would fumble that ball too.

Yelawolf should have done some heavy self-promotion.

Yes and No, yes Shady is awful(when it comes to marketing) and maybe one of the last choices anyone who wanna have success should go to but unlike Drake who was kinda well known for his role in Degrassi and was hyped as the next great indie artist even in Europe he had no real hype no hit single no nothing. He is just that weird looking dude from the south that eminem signed.

I personally like Yela because he is real charismatic (to me), makes honest music and well seems to be just him but the people who buy records sadly have to have some kind of gimmick (Drug Dealer, Heart Throb, Crazy White Guy). Just good music doesn't sell anymore and if the album is getting mixed reviews on top of that well that equals 40.000 records sold.

PBY

Banned
chopcarecover.jpg

http://hulkshare.com/mh0mesjxu7km

Blackace

Why should they know how to market? Eminem has a history of releasing shit singles and still selling millions. Likewise Dre hasn't released anything of note in like half a decade, yet the mere mention of his name can garner tons of views or sales for an artist.

That "business model" doesn't work for mortals. Yele had no single, wasn't touring crazy hard, and didn't really have the buzz that surrounded the releases of guys like Cole, Sean, etc. Shady should have had Yele grinding on the road, maybe release another mixtape. Then next year go for a spring/summer anthem.

You keep throwing the whiteboy card out there.. But really white boys having a harder time succeeding in hip-hop and that's pretty much a fact.

Recon

Banned

I never saw the slaughterhouse signing being a wise business decision. Joe Budden is the closest to mainstream. I saw the signing as more of a superficial move, adding some legitmacy to Shady while helping out his friend.

Macca

As much as I love Dre and Em... You have to blame them...
At the end of the day, this is totally true. They are the ones with the final say on who gets signed. But they do have marketing teams behind them, who's job it is to figure out the best ways to promote these artists and sell records.

You keep throwing the whiteboy card out there.. But really white boys having a harder time succeeding in hip-hop and that's pretty much a fact.

A white boy co-signed by Eminem? Nah man. White rappers are always more marketable in today's hip hop, dominated by stoner anthems and white girls. I'm not saying any white rapper can make it, but if handled properly it should be easy to catapult a white rapper to stardom. In 2011.

Look at how Roc Nation handled J Cole. He already had a good fanbase, and they sent him on tour with Rihanna. Why didn't Shady try to get Yele on some type of major tour, with Wiz or even Currency's smoker tour? Then consider his singles. Nothing interesting, no anthem, no nothing. I really believe Yele appeals to that demographic, and the best way to sell him would have been to tour him around for a few months while searching for a decent single.

Blackace

A white boy co-signed by Eminem? Nah man. White rappers are always more marketable in today's hip hop, dominated by stoner anthems and white girls. I'm not saying any white rapper can make it, but if handled properly it should be easy to catapult a white rapper to stardom. In 2011.

Look at how Roc Nation handled J Cole. He already had a good fanbase, and they sent him on tour with Rihanna. Why didn't Shady try to get Yele on some type of major tour, with Wiz or even Currency's smoker tour? Then consider his singles. Nothing interesting, no anthem, no nothing. I really believe Yele appeals to that demographic, and the best way to sell him would have been to tour him around for a few months while searching for a decent single.

Em was a monster... And couldn't even get signed until Dre randomly listened to a demo a threw on the floor in his place... Yela isnt a monster and when people see a white rapper they compare him to Em.. Now times that by a million because he is co-signed by Em.

Also besides Em what great "white boy" has been catapulted to success by anyone since Em?

Jay Sosa

why is pharell wearing a nazi hat?

That is an old USSR hat, without the star. Have one too.

HatNewGreyBlack.jpg

EDIT: Got mine as a present from my dad 20 years ago. never thought one day I see some black american rapper wearing that.

datnewcudi.com said:
Kid Cudi’s yet to release his upcoming album for his rock project WZRD, but thats not stopping him from working on Man on The Moon 3 and giving us the details. The final album in the trilogy will complete the seamless experience allowing fans to play all three albums back to back. Cudi described this as “the only legitimate music trilogy ever made“.

Cudi also let some details go on who he’s working with for the album, one person being Jean Baptiste. You’ll recognize Baptiste’s work from his production on the first MOTM as he produced “Up Up and Away” as well as “Heart of a Lion”.

One thing that was not included in Man on the Moon II: The Legend of Mr. Rager was narration of the album from Common who provided a narrative to the first albom, The End of Day. Cudi says he hasn’t asked Common yet, but he wants him to return for the final narrative at the end of Man on the Moon 3.
Yessssss.

Listening through older Roots records in anticipation of Undun and it's just striking how Black Thought always finds a way to say things just right.

That reminded me: What are the cheesiest/lamest lines or verses you've ever heard by a rapper you actually think is good?

I immediately think of Royce's first few lines on Motown 25. Makes me want to skip the whole song. *cringe*

Macca

The more I listen to Let's Roll, the more I think this song will be big.

What were the sales of Camp? Still need to check that album out.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That Cooking x Look At Me Now video is great.

Also, bad day for Yela stans. Yeller flopped. I think hes gonna stay on Shady until the 2nd album at least though.

Came here to post about the GOOD Music album. I need to hear that CuDi x Sean x Kanye song now. Anything CuDi and Ye get on together is instantly gold, and having the GOAT on the same song only makes it better.

Cudder reveals some details about MotM3. Hope he gets Common back. Kinda misplaced about it being a true trilogy especially considering MotM2's title change pretty instantly makes the outro to MotM1 off.

EDIT: Wow fail, completely missed spin's post. Oh well.

That Cooking x Look At Me Now video is great.

Also, bad day for Yela stans. Yeller flopped. I think hes gonna stay on Shady until the 2nd album at least though.

Came here to post about the GOOD Music album. I need to hear that CuDi x Sean x Kanye song now. Anything CuDi and Ye get on together is instantly gold, and having the GOAT on the same song only makes it better.

Cudder reveals some details about MotM3. Hope he gets Common back. Kinda misplaced about it being a true trilogy especially considering MotM2's title change pretty instantly makes the outro to MotM1 off.

Yep.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The synergy between the two is incredible.

If CuDi and Kanye did a collabo album, I think I'd explode from the critical stannery levels. CuDi hook + 2 Ye verses and a Cudder spoken word bit over Ye production is a format I could listen to an infinite amount of times.

And Gambino did better than Yela? 52k is fucking impressive for what a dude put out on his own. Good shit, Gambino.

PBY

Banned
The synergy between the two is incredible.

If CuDi and Kanye did a collabo album, I think I'd explode from the critical stannery levels. CuDi hook + 2 Ye verses and a Cudder spoken word bit over Ye production is a format I could listen to an infinite amount of times.

And Gambino did better than Yela? 52k is fucking impressive for what a dude put out on his own. Good shit, Gambino.

Honestly, I have to give props to Mac Miller and Donald Glover- they each hustled, in their own unique ways, but they made sales happen. In retrospect, I'm not really knocking Yela's grind, but he could definitely have done more.

Maybe this is a typo but Cudi and Ye, and having a GOAT on the same song...? Are you talking about Big Sean or are you saying Kanye being the GOAT makes it better? lol

Edit: Wtf? Childish Gambino did more than Yela wolf? I honestly didn't expect that at all.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Some of the performances from the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show by Kanye and Jay are up online.

Niggas in Paris

Stronger

Kanye fucking KILLED it with that Stronger performance.
Saw these earlier. NIP will be remembered as a classic. Someone needs to gif the model at 0:56 with DAT SHIT CRAY underneath. They need to put a video out for this song NOW. What's taking so long? Thought they already shot it too.

Other stuff I've been meaning to post:

Tinie Tempah ft. J. Cole & Wretch 32 - Like It Or Love It. This shit goes, J. Cole's verse is insane.

Dre and Snoop perform The Next Episode, and together for the first time in years in Singapore. Failcensoring is a fail.

Emilio Rojas kills Lord Knows.

Common spits Nas' verse from Life's A Bitch. A bit random, but it's one of my favourite Nas verses, so I thought it was pretty cool.

And wait, Mac Miller isn't on a major? I don't like him or Gambino but I give respect where respect is due, they earned it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom