• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Nah, it's not that a rapper has to be the underdog. A rapper just needs to sound like he's rapping about something believable, with some real feeling behind it. Or else it's just weak, to me at least. Modern day 50 is weak, all talk and no passion. Kanye is full of shit too, but he always has been. Admittedly I've never been a fan Ye though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
People do and should like new kanye better than old kanye. Just sayin
I don't know, New Kanye and Old Kanye are kinda the same person to me in diff. stages of life. But MBDTF is hungrier and more motivated than anything Ye has ever done, including TCD, though that's next up on the list.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
People do and should like new kanye better than old kanye. Just sayin
i would like the new kanye more, if the new kanye was talking about shit that was more than just his ego. yet again ill go back to jesus walks, that song doesn't sound hungry, but it does sound like kanye talking about something else than his money or his ego. not to say new kanye is worse than old kanye.

CRS

So my annual fall-winter season depression has kicked in, and I've found myself not liking much of anything. Haven't been paying attention to hip hop news hardly at all very little of my go to artists are inspiring me right now. For anyone that knows the type of shit that I'm into, have I potentially missed anything in the passed 3 months or so that I might like?
Try Kno's Death is Silent. It is from last year though.

I'm in the old Kanye > new Kanye boat.
Not cause hes MAINSTREAM now but because his music was more down to earth, relatable, likeable, and wasn't filled to the brim with his ego.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
So my annual fall-winter season depression has kicked in, and I've found myself not liking much of anything. Haven't been paying attention to hip hop news hardly at all very little of my go to artists are inspiring me right now. For anyone that knows the type of shit that I'm into, have I potentially missed anything in the passed 3 months or so that I might like?
late but, i end up listening to the gorlliaz everytime i feel down.

Recon

Banned
I don't know, New Kanye and Old Kanye are kinda the same person to me in diff. stages of life. But MBDTF is hungrier and more motivated than anything Ye has ever done, including TCD, though that's next up on the list.

Im not going to laugh or anything else. Just going to respectfully disagree.

top-o.gif

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I at least respect enzo and peterboy for sticking to their guns about MBDTF. As crazy as I think those guns are...

PBY

Banned
I at least respect enzo and peterboy for sticking to their guns about MBDTF. As crazy as I think those guns are...

I see the argument for saying TCD is better; I know im in the minority for thinking MBDTF is his best album, BUT- I don't understand people who don't see it as a great album, or an instant classic. Its just a game changer.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I see the argument for saying TCD is better; I know im in the minority for thinking MBDTF is his best album, BUT- I don't understand people who don't see it as a great album, or an instant classic. Its just a game changer.
Whoa damn PETERS MAKIN MOVES!

I'm just saying, Kanye was the most hated man in America for the year before MBDTF. He had some shit to prove in the face of people saying he would never make music again, locked himself in a studio and put it on wax. And as a result, I do believe this eclipses the "new artist hunger" that he had pre-TCD. Has nothing to do with whether you like the music or agree on the quality, but I do honestly feel he put his life (and ego) to the beat with MBDTF. I'm aware the majority of GAF doesn't like the reflection of the ego, but it is what it is. You gotta love it though, somebody still speak from the soul.

mooooose

I know NO ONE will agree with me, but I miss the OLD French Montana. BEFORE he got all involved with Flocka and Gucci and whatever.

When he was a NY dude with Max B and was putting out some heat like Coke Wave 1 & 2, Mac & Cheese 2 (last year, but his sound is completely different)... even some stuff on Coke Boys were great (You Belong To Me and We Run NY are both dope as fuck).

But his singles don't even compare to Goon Muzik, Henny & My 44, Why So Serious?, I'm So Special, Playin in the Wind... him and Max just have that gift for HOOKS and Max's interesting style with French.. and their actual thug experience in a rap game where that doesn't exist.

I appreciate what French was doing, even if he WAS just jocking Max. He was part of a dying breed. He wasn't a lyrical master but ANY means, not even close, but the dude made some fun music and had good beats.

Now he's basically just a NY semi-white Flocka or Gucci. So pathetic. Moved on from jocking an underrated dude to some overrated dudes. Sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVwPKcYKZOg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeycCUI9oVw

Recon

Banned
Whoa damn PETERS MAKIN MOVES!

I'm just saying, Kanye was the most hated man in America for the year before MBDTF. He had some shit to prove in the face of people saying he would never make music again, locked himself in a studio and put it on wax. And as a result, I do believe this eclipses the "new artist hunger" that he had pre-TCD. Has nothing to do with whether you like the music or agree on the quality, but I do honestly feel he put his life (and ego) to the beat with MBDTF. I'm aware the majority of GAF doesn't like the reflection of the ego, but it is what it is. You gotta love it though, somebody still speak from the soul.

Lmao. Such hyperbole. He was nowhere near the most hated man in America. How do you even write this with a straight face?

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
If Kanye speaks from the soul, his soul is a boring, shit stained eye rollingly corny bag of cock.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Lmao. Such hyperbole. He was nowhere near the most hated man in America. How do you even write this with a straight face?
Did the Taylor Swift thing go over your head? Obama calling him a fool? It's hyperbolic to an extent but you cannot deny the magnitude of the backlash he got from that and the equally hyperbolic reaction from the media. There actually was shit pondering if he'll ever make music again, as exaggerated as that is. That was the inspiration for MBDTF. Look no further than Ye's rants on this stuff (the one where he compares himself to slaves is the best) how for proof that it was influential to his mindstate and hence the creative process. You don't have to agree with it, but just acknowledge it.

Recon

Banned
Did the Taylor Swift thing go over your head? Obama calling him a fool? It's hyperbolic to an extent but you cannot deny the magnitude of the backlash he got from that and the equally hyperbolic reaction from the media. There actually was shit pondering if he'll ever make music again, as exaggerated as that is. That was the inspiration for MBDTF. Look no further than Ye's rants on this stuff (the one where he compares himself to slaves is the best) how for proof that it was influential to his mindstate and hence the creative process. You don't have to agree with it, but just acknowledge it.

He got a lot of backlash. But that shit was over so quickly. No Ye fans gave a shit, and just shrugged it off as Ye being Ye. Also, if MBDTF is all Ye can do now with inspiration, then i do not look forward to efforts without it, since MBDTF was mediocre as can be. Barely better than WTT.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
He got a lot of backlash. But that shit was over so quickly. No Ye fans gave a shit, and just shrugged it off as Ye being Ye. Also, if MBDTF is all Ye can do now with inspiration, then i do not look forward to efforts without it, since MBDTF was mediocre as can be. Barely better than WTT.
I need a slow motion video right now
Cause I'm moving in slow motion, slow motion
Feeling like Hype Williams shooting a nigga
Shooting a nigga, hey, hey, hey
I need a slow motion video right now, ay, ay
*shrug*

Tokubetsu

That's the problem with the end of the year listpocalypse, you essentially only get two kinds of lists. The very predictable one or the opposite end of that which is a list filled of good to decent records that are only on the list because the editor didn't want to make the same list as every other blog/site/publication.

The sad/funny thing about that list is I can live with that top 5 EXCEPT for that Das Racist spot. It's not only a disappointing and bad Das Racist album, it's a bad record. Full stop. Period. For it to get top nods is shameful. If they wanted to keep the top 5 in line with hip underdogs, there are a bunch of MUCH better albums sprinkled throughout their top 40 (Cities Aviv etc.).

PBY

Banned
That's the problem with the end of the year listpocalypse, you essentially only get two kinds of lists. The very predictable one or the opposite end of that which is a list filled of good to decent records that are only on the list because the editor didn't want to make the same list as every other blog/site/publication.

The sad/funny thing about that list is I can live with that top 5 EXCEPT for that Das Racist spot. It's not only a disappointing and bad Das Racist album, it's a bad record. Full stop. Period. For it to get top nods is shameful. If they wanted to keep the top 5 in line with hip underdogs, there are a bunch of MUCH better albums sprinkled throughout their top 40 (Cities Aviv etc.).

Yeah you're analysis is spot on. Thats why I never put much stock into X LIST SUCKS CUZ Y ISNT ON THERE analysis, because you're never gonna make anyone happy. That being said, the das racist and XXX nods, while arguably one is fair and one isn't, are definitely there to go to what you said, ie, the editor trying to be different, underground, edgy, whatever.

Yup, pretty much this.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Will listen for Khalil, Jake One and Scoop beats. Damn I can't even remember the last Scoop beat I've heard.

HiResDes

Keep on preaching...Spot on

he says as the sports the Yeezy bear avatar.
ain't nothing classic about MBDTF. It has a few great songs, a few okay songs, and the rest throwaways.

http://i.imgur.com/VDRAb.jpg

Pitchfork? Are you trying to convince me with a PF screenshot?
Anyway, since you're posting a screenshot that shows PF and RS I better not ever see you complaining about how either site sucks at reviewing hip-hop or you're full of shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom