• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBY

Banned
Pitchfork? Are you trying to convince me with a PF screenshot?
Anyway, since you're posting a screenshot that shows PF and RS I better not ever see you complaining about how either site sucks at reviewing hip-hop or you're full of shit.

Eh, I'm not one to complain about reviews in general; the screenshot also had a metacritic score, which is an aggregate. I know review scores aren't the best indicator of quality, but what else can you really objectively point to?

IrishNinja

i love how ya'll are on some "fuck reviewers" when they dont like your shit, cant post JPGs enough when they do. bad metrics on here just like the gaming side.

KEEPIN THAT YE TALK GOIN: he got way too much hate, felt it way too much because of his ridiculous ego, still love the dude but absolutely fail to see how MBDTF is a classic, much less a game-changer. fuck, blueprint was a game-changer at the time, in terms of production & shit, i wanna say - where did this one go that was bold & new? ye's always been introspective, and loved lacing shit with power fantasies/delusions of grandeur and all that, i felt like i just heard more of that with more layered production.

again, that's not a bad thing, it's not a bad album. i just think a few of you wanna put it on a tier it's not, when i honestly think ye can reach that tier and people shouldn't front till it happens. dude says he wants to be the MJ of this shit, wants to release the hip-hop thriller? i dig it, and he might even pull it off - but this isn't that, i dont see people discussing this album 5, 10 years from now.

oh yeah - sorry vein, gotta roll with shinobis on this one. doomtree got like 4 tracks outta me, not my shit but ill try out Dessa.

*edit pink WTF you tryin to do to me with that avatar man

I can understand how someone might see MBDTF as a classic, fine, thats your opinion bro. But a gamechanger? Thats some hyperbole right there. It had some novel ideas, and Kanye yet again shows off his artistry, but it doesn't do anything that hasn't been seen before, nor does it even present its ideas new ways.

Ninja: Its Alien David Bowie bro, you like it?
Also, I give exactly two fucks about music reviews. I care less about music reviews than I do game reviews, and I care VERY LITTLE about game reviews.

DominoKid

If MBDTF isnt a gamechanger then it's because it's out of the realm of his peer's abilities.

Looking at the rap landscape I can't see any rapper out there that can currently make an album following in the footsteps of MBDTF. WTT is closer to them.

PBY

Banned
If MBDTF isnt a gamechanger then it's because it's out of the realm of his peer's abilities.

Looking at the rap landscape I can't see any rapper out there that can currently make an album following in the footsteps of MBDTF. WTT is closer to them.

agreed. also, I feel bad for you as a lakers fan right now :/

IrishNinja

man, i don't mean to bust balls Dom, but ya'll are dropping platitudes without specifics.

gimme a track, a few bars, a particular part of a beat, something that gives you the impression that album's on a level no one else is at. i'm genuinely interested in some shit i mustve missed.

Recon

Banned

Oneirology was better than MBDTF. Better production, much better lyrics. If you like Yeezys flow, fine, whatever. But Oneirology isnt a classic, but it is head and shoulders above MBDTF.

PBY

Banned
man, i don't mean to bust balls Dom, but ya'll are dropping platitudes without specifics.

gimme a track, a few bars, a particular part of a beat, something that gives you the impression that album's on a level no one else is at. i'm genuinely interested in some shit i mustve missed.

The beat to lost in this world, every single fucking bar in POWER, the feature list, All of the Lights + interlude, Im So Appalled.... it goes on and on and on. The production is flawless and untouchable. There never has been a hip hop album that has ever had the sound to it.

I mean GODDAMMMMM:
I just needed time alone, with my own thoughts
Got treasures in my mind but couldn't open up my own vault
My childlike creativity, purity and honesty is honestly being crowded by these grown thoughts
Reality is catching up with me, taking my inner child I'm fighting for custody
With these responsibilities that they entrust in me
As I look down at my di-a-mond encrusted piece thinking.

[Chorus:]
No one man should have all that power
The clocks tickin' I just count the hours
Stop trippin' I'm tripping off the powder
Till then, fuck that the world's ours
(21st Century Schizoid Man)

Recon

Banned
The beat to lost in this world, every single fucking bar in POWER, the feature list, All of the Lights + interlude, Im So Appalled.... it goes on and on and on. The production is flawless and untouchable. There never has been a hip hop album that has ever had the sound to it.

I mean GODDAMMMMM:
My childlike creativity, purity and honesty is honestly being crowded by these grown thoughts

You are my dude Peter, but All of the lights is everything that is wrong with current Yeezy. Over-produced mess, cringe inducing lyrics, shitty features.

HiResDes

Shit was an ambitious, yet messy circus act...No rap album sounds like it, and maybe no rap album should. All of the Lights was garbage.

I'll concede that the production on MBDTF is pretty damn good, but thats it.
I'm with ReconYoda, All of the Lights is everything that is wrong with Kanye.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
GTA4 also received universal critical praise. It has a 98 metacritic score, making the it the top ranked xbox 360 game of all time.
High scoring reviews mean fuck all. MBDWWEKEVINNASHWOLFPACTF is the GTA4 of the music world. Only the deluded consider it anything but a album full of horseshit. But I still love most of you like a fat kid loves fucking his best friend's learning disabled sister.

PBY

Banned
You are my dude Peter, but All of the lights is everything that is wrong with current Yeezy. Over-produced mess, cringe inducing lyrics, shitty features.
Its cool; I totally am not oblivious to the counterarguments. At some point it just becomes a personal opinion thing. I've always been one to appreciate crazy ambition, but I can see how the production seems overly self-indulgent. I just love it haha.

Also, as someone who appreciates/dabbles in production, theres stuff on that album that I listen to and just go "HOW THE FUCK DID HE FLIP THAT SAMPLE LIKE THAT?" There are a ton of albums that I know I could never produce in a million years/sound awesome, there are very few albums that I listen to and just have no clue how a sound was produced. See Power, the sample-age on that song is nuts.

Recon

Banned
Its cool; I totally am not oblivious to the counterarguments. At some point it just becomes a personal opinion thing. I've always been one to appreciate crazy ambition, but I can see how the production seems overly self-indulgent. I just love it haha.

Also, as someone who appreciates/dabbles in production, theres stuff on that album that I listen to and just go "HOW THE FUCK DID HE FLIP THAT SAMPLE LIKE THAT?" There are a ton of albums that I know I could never produce in a million years/sound awesome, there are very few albums that I listen to and just have no clue how a sound was produced. See Power, the sample-age on that song is nuts.

Power is probably my favorite song on the album. That beat is just crazy.

HiResDes

I like the darker themed tracks on the album, Devil in a New Dress l Hell of a Life l Blame Game l Dark Fantasy

...And of course So Appalled

Edit: Power is good, but it just doesn't fit in with the rest of the tracks, it would have been better on an album with Chain Heavy and more boom bap tracks.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
And yeah, All of the Lights is everything thats wrong with that dipshit kanye. I remember hearing the first snippet and thinking "well shit, he's redeeming himself for 808's, awesome". It sounded fantastic. But every preview released from then on got more and more absurd and awful. From the spastic snare drums programed by a child on meth, to the shitshow parade of musicians tossed onto the song. He took what sounded like a great song and made it into one of the most embarrassingly overproduced pieces of shit ever recorded.

PBY

Banned
I like the darker themed tracks on the album, Devil in a New Dress l Hell of a Life l Blame Game l Dark Fantasy

...And of course So Appalled

The lyrics on hell of a life are so underrated its crazy; also obligatory:

I'm living in the 21st century doin' something mean to it
Do it better then anybody you ever seen do it
Screams from the haters, got a nice ring to it
I guess every superhero need his theme music

DominoKid

I mean GODDAMMMMM:

Pretty much this. The only flaw to me is Runaway. I never really liked that song and the extended mix on the album didnt help.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
The G.O.O.D Friday version of Runaway is still the best. That track is just awesome.

HiResDes

I don't like those parts, I feel like I reiterate this over and over again...But I like the overt religious contemplation and existential ponderings.

Something wrong
I hold my head
MJ gone
OUR N***A DEAD.

And other gems like

Will be the same day MTV play videos
That was a little joke, voila
Praises due to the most high, Allah
Praises due to the most fly, Prada
Baby, I'm magic, ta-dah

PBY

Banned

Will be the same day MTV play videos
That was a little joke, voila
Praises due to the most high, Allah
Praises due to the most fly, Prada
Baby, I'm magic, ta-dah
This is vintage Kanye, you either love it or hate it; i obviously love it haha

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Kanye just sells bad lines better than anybody else I know of.

He's the only dude who's gonna drop some shit like "THE FUCKING ANTHEM - GET IT, THE FUCKING ANTHEM?!" and call it a day like it ain't nothin.

Love the Kanye. Bow to the Kanye.

DominoKid

like...listen to Gorgeous. he's ripping this shit. every verse. song after song.

[Verse 2: Kanye West]
Is hip hop just a euphemism for a new religion?
The soul music for the slaves that the youth is missing
This is more than just my road to redemption
Malcolm West had the whole nation standing at attention
As long as I’m in Polo smiling, they think they got me
But they would try to crack me if they ever see a black me
I thought I chose a field where they couldn’t sack me
If a nigga ain't shootin a jump shot, running a track meet
But this pimp is, at the top of Mount Olympus
Ready for the World’s game, this is my Olympics
We make ‘em say ho cause the game is so pimpish
Choke a South Park writer with a fishstick
I insisted to get up offa this dick
And these drugs, niggas can't resist it
Remind me of when they tried to have Ali enlisted
If I ever wasn't the greatest nigga, I must have missed it!

PBY

Banned
like...listen to Gorgeous. he's ripping this shit. every verse. song after song.

[Verse 2: Kanye West]
Is hip hop just a euphemism for a new religion?
The soul music for the slaves that the youth is missing
This is more than just my road to redemption
Malcolm West had the whole nation standing at attention
As long as I’m in Polo smiling, they think they got me
But they would try to crack me if they ever see a black me
I thought I chose a field where they couldn’t sack me
If a nigga ain't shootin a jump shot, running a track meet
But this pimp is, at the top of Mount Olympus
Ready for the World’s game, this is my Olympics
We make ‘em say ho cause the game is so pimpish
Choke a South Park writer with a fishstick
I insisted to get up offa this dick
And these drugs, niggas can't resist it
Remind me of when they tried to have Ali enlisted
If I ever wasn't the greatest nigga, I must have missed it!

Agree x100. Its like he doesn't even stop to breath, hes just SPITTING. line after line, just dropping bombs.

Kanye just sells bad lines better than anybody else I know of.

He's the only dude who's gonna drop some shit like "THE FUCKING ANTHEM - GET IT, THE FUCKING ANTHEM?!" and call it a day like it ain't nothin.

Love the Kanye. Bow to the Kanye.

WE GOT THE SWAG SAUCE SHE DRIPPING SWAGU

Recon

Banned
Agree x100. Its like he doesn't even stop to breath, hes just SPITTING. line after line, just dropping bombs.

WE GOT THE SWAG SAUCE SHE DRIPPING SWAGU

I think that is in the running for worst lyrics of the year. Shits worse than "Im the shit, you cant out fart me", but not by much.

PBY

Banned
I think that is in the running for worst lyrics of the year. Shits worse than "Im the shit, you cant out fart me", but not by much.

I got a dirty mind
I got filthy ways
I’m tryin’ to bathe my ape
In your milky way

THIS IS POETRY

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
J. Cole's verse on that track is worse. It's tempo is all over the place and yea dude, you can make the shit rhyme.....but seriously, what the fuck dude

Recon

Banned
I got a dirty mind
I got filthy ways
I’m tryin’ to bathe my ape
In your milky way

THIS IS POETRY

There used to be a time in my life where i was hyped for a Kanye feature/beat. Now, i just dont care much at all. I will still listen to his next album. I got so hyped for MBDTF, left so disappointed, i cannot do that again.

Macca

Just read Pitchforks review of Radioactive.

I know some people dismiss them, but damn, this review really nailed what was wrong with the album.
Pitchfork said:
And with that rehearsed conversation with Eminem about making love songs for women, Yelawolf is trying to absolve himself from the responsibility of about one-third of Radioactive being decidedly half-assed. The middle of the album (featuring hooks from the likes of Priscilla Renea and Fefe Dobson) is far and away the worst music of Yelawolf's career, and he knows it. His rapping is passable, but the beats are leaden and uninspired and the hooks are about as canned as possible.

IrishNinja

ahahaha, KDF is in effect mode!

honestly, we split hairs on MBDTF but i dont think anyone but siddx actually doesnt like ye these days

Recon

Banned
I do have to say, i still like Kanye, but the KDF is being lazy lately. Besides Enzo, the other posts are about as well thought out as this: "nuh uhhhh!!!! he da best".

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I do have to say, i still like Kanye, but the KDF is being lazy lately. Besides Enzo, the other posts are about as well thought out as this: "nuh uhhhh!!!! he da best".

I'd try harder, but I'm tired as shit and I have finals tomorrow... plus I'm way more focused on Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross dropping The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo soundtrack tonight.

Recon

Banned
I'd try harder, but I'm tired as shit and I have finals tomorrow... plus I'm way more focused on Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross dropping The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo soundtrack tonight.

I understand. Im about to start on a 6 page paper that is due tomorrow at 4pm. Actually, i will just do it tomorrow. Couple weeks ago i did 25 pages of papers in one sunday. It was fun.

DominoKid

J. Cole's verse on that track is worse. It's tempo is all over the place and yea dude, you can make the shit rhyme.....but seriously, what the fuck dude

yeah that was a really really bad look for Cole. i cant believe how he's regressed as a rapper.

i want to go back and listen to his old work and see if he's actually regressed, or if i'm just finally noticing his flaws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom