• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned

Esch

Banned
speaking of steam, its telling me that I'm offline and that i have no network connection while my store window is open and clearly working. The client is a piece of shit sometimes.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
So at the end of the steam sale I've somehow ended up through the gift pile with 2 copies of Dungeon Defenders, Splinter Cell Conviction, Renegade Ops and Counter Strike Source. One game per poster would be preferable, so just post which game you want and add me on Steam

http://steamcommunity.com/id/detox232

One Splinter Cell for me please sir, just in case you're saying you have 2.

We're already friends (K.Jack 2.0)

Detox

Sorry just one copy of SC I can see why you made the mistake. Only two copies of Dungeon Defenders and one CS:S left.

Esch

Banned
Also GAF-HOP has played skyrim for like 90 hours on steam. Thought it would be more

i account for 30 of those hours :X

thanks again Detox

Esch

Banned
I have 50 hours in skyrim. Haven't played in weeks though.
Well after my first character I went on a rampage of new ones starting new characters trying to get an ideal playstyle. Thief characters make the game a cakewalk, so i scrapped that, tanks/pure melee is just boring as fuck, and pure mages are a hassle or just plain weak without armor(fuck alteration) and a heavy conjuration emphasis.

I'm doing a battlemage, altmer with emphasis on conjuration, destruction, 1H, heavy armor, enchanting, and restoration... And it's working out pretty well actually. Lots of fun. No smithing though, can't stop myself from abusing the shit out of it.

The M.O.B

Also GAF-HOP has played skyrim for like 90 hours on steam. Thought it would be more

i account for 30 of those hours :X

thanks again Detox

In total I got about 50 hrs logged, but that's by playing only around 5 hrs per week. Game never grabbed me like it did others.

Currently going through one of the most boring dungeons yet, 30 minutes in and no end in sight. Takes motivation just to start up the game.

Tokubetsu

Well after my first character I went on a rampage of new ones starting new characters trying to get an ideal playstyle. Thief characters make the game a cakewalk, so i scrapped that, tanks/pure melee is just boring as fuck, and pure mages are a hassle or just plain weak without armor(fuck alteration) and a heavy conjuration emphasis.

I'm doing a battlemage, altmer with emphasis on conjuration, destruction, 1H, heavy armor, enchanting, and restoration... And it's working out pretty well actually. Lots of fun. No smithing though, can't stop myself from abusing the shit out of it.

Idk man, my sneak character was pretty squishy early game. I almost always had to have a companion just in case. I'm at like lvl 31 now, only six missions into the main quest and everything dies in 1 hit if I get that sneak arrow off, or 3ish otherwise.

God help you if I get in close with daggers for sneak that way though. 30x stealth dmg bonus. It's a wrap.

Esch

Banned
Idk man, my sneak character was pretty squishy early game. I almost always had to have a companion just in case. I'm at like lvl 31 now, only six missions into the main quest and everything dies in 1 hit if I get that sneak arrow off, or 3ish otherwise.

God help you if I get in close with daggers for sneak that way though. 30x stealth dmg bonus. It's a wrap.

Ya until you really abuse sneak, light armor, and 1h up to a really high level, get some enchanted shit and good arrows, a thief is appropriately vulnerable. But you can really make a pretty downright invincible character with the right combination of smithing, sneak, archery and/or 1h, and pretty much anything else you wanna roll. Sneak characters require less perks to be effective... Which is a reason why magic characters struggle a lot more. Too many perks, not enough offensive capability, enchanting downright necessary to give you the magicka pool you need to be self sufficient.

In total I got about 50 hrs logged, but that's by playing only around 5 hrs per week. Game never grabbed me like it did others.

Currently going through one of the most boring dungeons yet, 30 minutes in and no end in sight. Takes motivation just to start up the game.

IDK man i love it. Core gameplay could have used playtesting and some pretty obvious tweaks, and there is some familiar repetition(Kill X, Gather X of X, Find X, etc), but the world and style of the game rubs my brain the right way. When modders really get down to it it'll look like fantasy Crysis, too.

Recon

Banned
I need to get on that Skyrim.....But I don't drugs. Do I need to play the previous Elder Scrolls to play this game?

Every Elder Scrolls game is its own self-contained story with only hints of older games. I believe this game takes place several hundred years after Oblivion. Plus, Oblivion was pretty mediocre, Skyrim is amazing.

coldvein

Banned
i'm not gonna start skyrim until i've finished everything in my backlog.. so it could be a while. really didn't like oblivion much...

Recon

Banned
If you didn't like Oblivion, I don't know why'd you pick up Skyrim at all.

Depends, Skyrim is just a much better game than Oblivion. It is more atmospheric and has better quests, for the most part. Also, Skyrim doesnt have Oblivion gates, so it already has a huge advantage.

HiResDes

Depends, Skyrim is just a much better game than Oblivion. It is more atmospheric and has better quests, for the most part. Also, Skyrim doesnt have Oblivion gates, so it already has a huge advantage.

Doesn't seem all that different to me, just more fleshed out and a little more intuitive.

JackEtc

Did you guys see that Aesop Rock said he'll be putting a new solo album this year?

Tweet
@AesopRockWins said:
After this trip to wrap up the Uncluded LP it's back home to wrap up vocals on my new solo. Both out this year. Details to come...

Excited to see what it'll be like, None Shall Pass was really good, I liked it a lot. Hard to believe that was 5 years ago.

Recon

Banned
Doesn't seem all that different to me, just more fleshed out and a little more intuitive.

The basics are the same: Combat, Open world, Tons of quests. But it improves up everything Oblivion did. Walking up the 7,000 steps to the top of that mountain just had me amazed at how great the game looked and how real it felt.

It's better than Oblivion but still has a lot of the same issues.

It's a Bethesda game, they are all kinda janky at launch, although I only have encountered one crash and no other bugs. Combat could use some improvements, but still feels great, IMO.

Rozay about to drop some heat
http://www.twitvid.com/Y3TFR

gladbron.gif

HiResDes

I disagree, but people like to overblow how bad it was so that they can enjoy Skyrim more, though in a few ways the latter game is even more watered-down than the former.

Recon

Banned
I disagree, but people like to overblow how bad it was so that they can enjoy Skyrim more, though in a few ways the latter game is even more watered-down than the former.

People were talking about Oblivion being bad well before skyrim came out. Maybe it wasnt bad for you, but plenty of people did not like it.

HiResDes

This discussion is going nowhere, people didn't like it sure (that goes for every game), but a great majority did...And it scored well with pretty much all of the critics. It just seems like it was popular to hate because it kind of simplified many aspects from Morrowind into a more streamlined game, people weren't ready for it. Skyrim is definitely more akin to Oblivion than to Morrowind. It took the foreground laid by Oblivion and added a greater variety to its areas and to its quests, but the core is very much the same, just even more watered down and streamlined. Oblivion+Shivering Isles+Mods = Skyrim.

LOZLINK

you said it.. sucks to be wrong :(

I'm a much bigger fan of Germanic medieval than Scandinavian Medieval. I just don't see how you can like one, but hate the other. Skyrim is basically a more refined Oblivion, which is expected after 5 years of dev time.

Recon

Banned
This discussion is going nowhere, people didn't like it sure (that goes for every game), but a great majority did...And it scored well with pretty much all of the critics. It just seems like it was popular to hate because it kind of simplified many aspects from Morrowind into a more streamlined game, people weren't ready for it. Skyrim is definitely more akin to Oblivion than to Morrowind. It took the foreground laid by Oblivion and added a greater variety to its areas and to its quests, but the core is very much the same, just even more watered down and streamlined. Oblivion+Shivering Isles+Mods = Skyrim.

I tend to agree with a lot of your points, but Oblivion never hooked me in. I played about 20 hours of Oblivion and then got bored. I have around 50 hours into Skyrim( Until I reformatted my PC and lost my save..) and I havnt felt bored. The atmosphere and the world just seem a lot better than Oblivion. Oblivion felt very sterile and boring.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I can understand why console players would feel Oblivion was complete ass, because they couldn't escape things like the enemy level scaling.

How is that possible, when my Steam profile says I have 160.9 hours all by myself?

There's no way I've actually played that much though; I fall asleep with the game running all the time.

kamspy

Magic is now overpowered...For example, being able to summon two Dremora Lords as a conjurer really makes absolutely everything a cakewalk.

Yeah it's really easy to become OP in skyrim. I'm playing a weapon dealer (blacksmith) so all my gear is Legendary and enchanted and I've got pretty much infinite gold. Just give me some ingots and soul gems and I'll have an entire city packing heat.

As far as combat goes, I'm a battle mage I guess. Always keep a weapon in one hand and a spell in the other. Heavy armor. All hand crafted to legendary status and enchanted.

I'd love to see Skyrim get the balance differential that New Vegas got vs Fallout 3. Now that would be sweet, but it seems there's a rift between Bethesda and Obsidian now for some reason.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I dumped like 300 hours into oblivion. It was my first xbox360 game and I played it to death. I hated Morrowind and it took me a while to get into it but next thing I knew I was jumping up and down in one spot for an hour to get my stats up. I'm going through skyrim withdrawals right now, haven't played in almost 3 weeks, wont be able to play till the weekend. I got saints row 3 and code veronica HD to play as well (only resident evil I never played, gotta rectify that).

Also been playing civ 5 again, don't know why but it just doesn't click the way civ 4 did. It feels like every time I play I end up doing the same exact thing.

PBY

Banned
Hearing you guys talk about video games musts reminds me of how little I play games anymore... Im at the point where I prefer to listen to the bombcast than play videogames... I even have skyrim, bf, etc... Just doesn't engage me like it used to... The only game I still love is nhl

Recon

Banned
Hearing you guys talk about video games musts reminds me of how little I play games anymore... Im at the point where I prefer to listen to the bombcast than play videogames... I even have skyrim, bf, etc... Just doesn't engage me like it used to... The only game I still love is nhl

The only 2011 games i have played are Skyrim and the BF3 beta. I beat Arkham Asylum a few months back, and own Arkham City, but have no desire to go back. I barely play games anymore, and I listen to the Bombcast every week too, i rather hear people talk about games then play them nowadays.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser

Yeah I was a video game addict ever since I first walked across the street in Japan and watched my neighbor (a high japanese high school student) play super mario bros. on his famicom in 1985). I sat there in fucking awe watching the most incredible thing ever. But a few years ago after video games contributed to the end of a relationship I scaled down severely, sold most of my consoles, and stopped buying new games. It wasn't until I moved to the shithole that is Indiana and I needed something to take my mind off the fact I was living in Indiana that I started playing again. When I moved to Seattle I stopped playing again because I was too busy working, fucking, and drinking. And now that im back in cold ass bumfuck nowhere maine, I've picked it up again. I only buy the big releases though, I gamefly everything else.
Oh and fuck halo and COD

Shit im babbling, im fucked up right now, excuse me.

kamspy

Gaming keeps me out of trouble. Bought a Dreamcast with a bunch of shit. Gamestop sent me some Game Informers. I took a few shits and read the game informers over time and went back and actually bought good games. After that it's all history. I gamed as a kid. Probably up to like, Sega Genesis. But when I got to Jr. High I was too cool for video games. That continued til I bought the Dreamcast to play NBA2K in my 20s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom