• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recon

Banned
The Dreamcast was the first console i bought for myself..I loved that thing. NBA2k,NFL2k, Powerstone, Soul Calibur, Marvel vs. Capcom....Loved that system.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yeah I was a video game addict ever since I first walked across the street in Japan and watched my neighbor (a high japanese high school student) play super mario bros. on his famicom in 1985). I sat there in fucking awe watching the most incredible thing ever. But a few years ago after video games contributed to the end of a relationship I scaled down severely, sold most of my consoles, and stopped buying new games. It wasn't until I moved to the shithole that is Indiana and I needed something to take my mind off the fact I was living in Indiana that I started playing again. When I moved to Seattle I stopped playing again because I was too busy working, fucking, and drinking. And now that im back in cold ass bumfuck nowhere maine, I've picked it up again. I only buy the big releases though, I gamefly everything else.
Oh and fuck halo and COD

Shit im babbling, im fucked up right now, excuse me.

Dude, I didn't know you lived in Maine. WTF. Small world. What part?

WanderingWind

Ellsworth, about 45 minutes from Bangor. My sister lives in Portland though so I head down that way on occasion.

I lived by Sugarloaf for a couple of years. My wife's family is scattered throughout that entire damn state.

I feel your pain. Living there is...dull...to say the least.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I lived by Sugarloaf for a couple of years. My wife's family is scattered throughout that entire damn state.

I feel your pain. Living there is...dull...to say the least.

Indeed, I've lived here on and off over the last 7 years and I can only make it about a year before I start to go crazy and end up leaving. I finish my masters program this spring and hope to be long gone by the summer. It's a nice place to visit, but I just can't live here. Whenever I meet people here who have never left the town and say they never want to I look at them like they are aliens on crack who just told me touching little boys is ok.

WanderingWind

Indeed, I've lived here on and off over the last 7 years and I can only make it about a year before I start to go crazy and end up leaving. I finish my masters program this spring and hope to be long gone by the summer. It's a nice place to visit, but I just can't live here. Whenever I meet people here who have never left the town and say they never want to I look at them like they are aliens on crack who just told me touching little boys is ok.

There are a TON of Mainers who never fucking leave the state. I've lived in every corner (save the NW) and more than a dozen states. Mainers stay the fuck put, and when they leave, they always go back.

I mean, there is a season called "mud." What the fuck is that about? It is pretty sweet to be able to get a lobster for chump change, but that's not worth having to drive 45 minutes to get anywhere that has socks, ya know?

Well, that and 50% of the state is covered in wild weed plants. I knew a guy who had an entire BARN full of the shit him and his brothers cultivated in the forest. Crazy shit.

siddx

There are a TON of Mainers who never fucking leave the state. I've lived in every corner (save the NW) and more than a dozen states. Mainers stay the fuck put, and when they leave, they always go back.

I mean, there is a season called "mud." What the fuck is that about? It is pretty sweet to be able to get a lobster for chump change, but that's not worth having to drive 45 minutes to get anywhere that has socks, ya know?

Well, that and 50% of the state is covered in wild weed plants. I knew a guy who had an entire BARN full of the shit him and his brothers cultivated in the forest. Crazy shit.

haha my aunt lives next door and grows weed, so do my cousins who have an old cabin in the deep woods (were talking bears come sniffing around all the time deep).

Yeah I gotta drive everywhere, it was a weird adjustment after living in Seattle and just walking everywhere. And because nobody can get anywhere without a car and everyone is so spread out, drunk driving here is out of control. Seems like every other person on the road at night is wasted.
The only reason I come back is because my family built a home here so its convenient when I need to retreat and readjust my life because I have once again fucked it all up (I did this quite often in my early to mid 20's).

Esch

Banned
Doesn't seem all that different to me, just more fleshed out and a little more intuitive.

Core gameplay is significantly better, so is art style, content density and diversity. The biggest problems with the game. I like the music of Oblivion better, that's about it. And the Dark Brotherhood,I guess.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I'm a much bigger fan of Germanic medieval than Scandinavian Medieval. I just don't see how you can like one, but hate the other. Skyrim is basically a more refined Oblivion, which is expected after 5 years of dev time.

Oblivion was broken gameplay wise.. super scaling made it stupid..

HiResDes

Personally if you level right and acquire/enchant items your foes still have less of chance of beating you as you go up. Skyrim is child's play, pretty much right from the beginning, and basically becomes a borefest. Everyone complained about it though, so maybe I'm the only one who never found it to be a big deal.

Esch

Banned
How is the core gameplay better?...

Sneak actually works and doesn't shit itself for no reason and has the eye symbol to indicate your 'detectedness' and looks much better with the executions, the 'hand' system makes combat and switching between skills much easier for console users, making spellswords more viable and adding a little to the combat with dualcast... Perks IMO make a big difference in shaping a build however you like, say i want to get into conjuration but not for summons just the bound weapons and soul capturing aspect.. Blah blah blah. I think it's noticeably more fluid. And while certain things have been watered down or replaced or minimized or fucked up balancewise i feel like you can alter your build to make most envisioned playstyles work very well.

I agree with you that people were harsh on Oblivion.. But jesus. Game was so fucking generic looking, janky playing, and had such a mapeditor feel. Skyrim puts a world together quite well, even if it comes apart at the seams the more you play(same with every game in the series).

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Personally if you level right and acquire/enchant items your foes still have less of chance of beating you as you go up. Skyrim is child's play, pretty much right from the beginning, and basically becomes a borefest. Everyone complained about it though, so maybe I'm the only one who never found it to be a big deal.

I enjoy becoming badass... I hate being just being the enemies worldwide.. why are the field rats rolling with fire demons now??

I have not beaten Skyrim yet.. I had a game breaking bug pop up... I restarted a new toon, but the only complaint I have is the dragon battles are easier than I would have liked..

siddx

I hated it because I like to feel like I'm becoming a badass. I like progressing to a point where I am a unstoppable tank just steamrolling enemies. Oblivion took that away. I still loved it though.

Esch

Banned
Well yeah, if you grind enchanting or smithing the game is a cakewalk. But that's what difficulty sliders are for. And well, not intentionally trying to rape the game's balance(which i'm guilty of)...

HiResDes

Magic is not easier, in Oblivion you could hotkey each spell instantly, same with weapons/armors. You didn't have to press a button and then cycle through favorites, they popped up instantly without breaking the action. It may have required more coordination, but it was definitely more fluid in terms of not breaking the action. In Oblivion you didn't have to grind enchanting...

Esch

Banned
You still have hotkeys in skyrim though. Favorites is for console users.

I agree that magic characters are weaker in Skyrim. For a multitude of reasons.

Furry thief is the only way to play Skyrim, I'm just saying.
After being a goody good in all the TES games, I finally went badass thief and I'm having the most fun I've ever had in a TES game.
Never looking back. Stealth is too much fun. Sneaking around and slicing people's necks.
Become a vampire for bonus cool points.

siddx

I always do the first playthrough of games that let you be evil or good as a good guy and then for the second playthrough I make a female character, name her "cuntpuncher" or "queen twat" and be evil as fuck. I plan to kill every single person in skyrim when I do my "evil" playthrough.

Esch

Banned
Not everyone can afford fancy smancy gaming rigs and MPC's and hookers and blow and shit, goddamn you

You don't really gotta have a fancy smancy gaming rig to fuck this game in the ass. Let's face it, we're talking about a game that runs just fine on platforms that were middle of the road when they dropped in 2005. I have a gt240, 4gb ram, and a nothing special dual core cpu and i'm playing this at high at 60fps (i am playing it at 768p though, lol).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You don't really gotta have a fancy smancy gaming rig to fuck this game in the ass. Let's face it, we're talking about a game that runs just fine on platforms that were middle of the road when they dropped in 2005. I have a gt240, 4gb ram, and a nothing special dual core cpu and i'm playing this at high at 60fps (i am playing it at 768p though, lol).
Yeah, even runs on my PC which can't run anything released in the past half decade. Also why Valve games are so awesome, because they know how to make their games scale to different rigs quite well.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
That kinda rig would cost around 4~500 to date right? Maybe even less. Brand new.

siddx

After having to blow 2 grand on a macbook pro for grad school I am all tapped out money wise, even though it was almost 2 years ago, that kinda money leaves an impact, especially when you get paid 11 an hour. I almost used my best buy credit card to pick a gaming rig up but...well best buy....
But when I get a proper teaching job this year, I'll probably try to pick one up before I head overseas. Does steam work overseas?

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
After having to blow 2 grand on a macbook pro for grad school I am all tapped out money wise, even though it was almost 2 years ago, that kinda money leaves an impact, especially when you get paid 11 an hour. I almost used my best buy credit card to pick a gaming rig up but...well best buy....
But when I get a proper teaching job this year, I'll probably try to pick one up before I head overseas. Does steam work overseas?
Steam works everywhere. But some games are region locked i think. #based gabe

but you can prob get those gifted to you by a gaffer.

siddx

Steam works everywhere. But some games are region locked i think. #based gabe

but you can prob get those gifted to you by a gaffer.

I just realized I am in Argentina right now and could simply check my steam account lol.

Recon

Banned
Lol, i have been using the same PC for about 4 years, have only upgraded the ram/Video card. I have a Q6600( OC'd to 2.9ghz), 4GB ram, Nvidia 560 Ti. The initial investment on a PC is a decent amount of money, but if you do it right, it can last you a long time with timely upgrades. I think i can get another 1 1/2 years out of my rig, maybe 2.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I doubt Blu told Ex he was releasing it lmao. Dude's doped out his mind 70% of the time
Yeah he was probably packing his shit up when the landlord kicked him out and found the tape in a box labelled 2009 and decided to use it to pay his way through another month of rent.

Lol, i have been using the same PC for about 4 years, have only upgraded the ram/Video card. I have a Q6600( OC'd to 2.9ghz), 4GB ram, Nvidia 560 Ti. The initial investment on a PC is a decent amount of money, but if you do it right, it can last you a long time with timely upgrades. I think i can get another 1 1/2 years out of my rig, maybe 2.

Word. I recently upgraded my graphics card (from 3870 to 5770). I'm gonna get an external hard drive instead of replacing the internal one which is small (only 200GB). I've replaced side fans and upgraded them, just to ensure it stays cool.

I'll probably get a new CPU this year, maybe a new mobo as well. But I want to see how long my three year old rig lasts

Esch

Banned
That kinda rig would cost around 4~500 to date right? Maybe even less. Brand new.

Just about, something like that. Plus it's not just a gaming machine, there is a laptop obviously. I guess i've just been disillusioned by consoles lately. With mediocre first party output, shitty japanese development, and all sorts of manufacturing bullshit i just don't see the point right now.

siddx

I had the same gaming rig from about 2000 to 2006 until it just couldn't keep up. I should have picked up another one right after but I bought a laptop instead because I planned to travel. I loved that beat up piece of shit.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I had the same gaming rig from about 2000 to 2006 until it just couldn't keep up. I should have picked up another one right after but I bought a laptop instead because I planned to travel. I loved that beat up piece of shit.
man i remb my intel centrino. that shit handled what ever i threw at it like a champ. i shouldve treated it with more respect now that i look back,

Esch

Banned
Im holding off on a new rig till some of this new shit coming up gets sorted out. Don't know what to think with all this 32 core cpgpu ivybridge buzzword buzzword crap dropping. Gotta educate myself.

I'll probably end up getting a sexy little lenovo laptop.

siddx

man i remb my intel centrino. that shit handled what ever i threw at it like a champ. i shouldve treated it with more respect now that i look back,

Same, I didn't even clean the damn thing until like 03. At which point it looked like a post apocalyptic wasteland inside. So.much.dust.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Same, I didn't even clean the damn thing until like 03. At which point it looked like a post apocalyptic wasteland inside. So.much.dust.
man i feel you.
Its crazy the rate rappers blow up these days. Drop one dope album and suddenly you're everywhere.

well its harder to make a dope album these days. esp when everyone is trying at the same time. there's a higher chance youl get drowned out.

Recon

Banned
Im holding off on a new rig till some of this new shit coming up gets sorted out. Don't know what to think with all this 32 core cpgpu ivybridge buzzword buzzword crap dropping. Gotta educate myself.

I'll probably end up getting a sexy little lenovo laptop.

Im waiting on the Macbook Air refresh, and next year ill build a new rig. Ive been living pretty cheaply while im at Uni, so I have been able to save my loan money up, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom