• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bishman

FUCK LUPE!

I bought Food & Liquor. Jammed The Cool for 6 months straight. Lupe had me believe that Lasers was all on the label. Then he drops Friends of the People which sounds like Lasers part 2. WHAT. THE. FUCK?!

How can you defend Lupe's actions anymore? I still like his music and he's in my top 5. But Food & Liquor II will be the last straw. If it is some Lasers bullshit... I'm done with him.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Way past tme to let Lupe go. I really wanted to believe he'd fall into the right hands and his high concept lyricism on the first two records would get sculpted into something really remarkable, but his dumbfuckery took over. You can only blame the label for so much, and it blows that he even had to get involved in that when noadays dudes like Frank Ocean & Kendrick Lamar are on some of the biggest records of the year or getting radio hits off mixtapes.Maybe in alternate universe Lupe turned out alright, but we are never gonna live in that one.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I know every artist has their haters. But when fucking everybody is telling you to suck it, you may either want to A) get the chapstick ready, or B) just give up music. The Cool remains my shit, but everything afterward has sucked. He sucks. Lupe is a terrible artist now. Too much decent to good shit out there for somebody who sucks.

Maybe his next album will be a MBDTF type return to good standing

You mean pure wankery for critics with nothing of value actually in the album? I hope not.

Preach it, Recon.

As far as I'm concerned, and I've said it here before, F&L2 will be the ultimate deciding factor for me as far as being a Lupe fan goes.
Lasers was his 1. Every artist gets their 1. If F&L2 is good, I'll be back on the fanwagon, but I'll never forget.
If it sucks, I'm done with Lupe.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
As far as I'm concerned, and I've said it here before, F&L2 will be the ultimate deciding factor for me as far as being a Lupe fan goes.
Lasers was his 1. Every artist gets their 1. If F&L2 is good, I'll be back on the fanwagon, but I'll never forget.
If it sucks, I'm done with Lupe.

Sounds like the beginnings of a Lupe Cycle meme....

m3k

I've been saying fuck rap and been on a Joni Mitchell kick today and I found out that she started incorporating the line "now why you wanna go and do that love huh?" at the end of her performances of big yellow taxi (the line q-tip rapped in janet jacksons got till its gone which sampled big yellow taxi). If I was Q-tip I'd be telling everyone that every chance I got. Greatest song writer in music history is quoting you on one of her most beloved songs? Can't get a better co-sign.

thats pretty cool

kamspy

You seem to dislike most rap with any message more than trap or die. Its ok, but realize there is a sizable fan base for other kinds of hip-hop.

Umm. Well, currently yeah. There's some good old stuff that didn't focus on it.

The only rapper I could really let kick knowledge to me was Guru. The rest just came off tacky and unlikable. Well, I'd put the Wu in there, and De La Tribe if that counts. But it's a short list, yeah. Go write a book. If I'm playing music, it's not so I can learn about some shit. I passed that phase in like the 8th grade.

EDIT: Kendrick is pretty cool. I like how he's got something to say without being heavy handed whatsoever. Goodie Mo was good too.

Pretty much project window rap x2. It's like, I watched a project window on TV rap.

The only Lupe I can dig is when he stops trying to appeal and make bullshit like this. I like his robot raps. I'd rather he just go full geek.

I'm kinda with Kamp, though our tastes are different.
At this point I feel like I'm over conscious hip-hop. I've heard it all before and its just tiring and corny.
I got Common's new album and really have no interest in listening to it, simply cause I know its gunna be some super corny shit. Even the album title turns me off.
I feel like I only got it cause its Common.

At this point I feel like I'm over conscious hip-hop. I've heard it all before and its just tiring and corny.
I got Common's new album and really have no interest in listening to it, simply cause I know its gunna be some super corny shit. Even the album title turns me off.

It's hard to say anything if you intentionally don't want to give it a chance

overcast

How can you defend Lupe's actions anymore? I still like his music and he's in my top 5. But Food & Liquor II will be the last straw. If it is some Lasers bullshit... I'm done with him.
Bish is telling it how it is.
ASAP Mob album is supposedly coming out on February.
That sounds pretty damn boring to me. The ASAP crew is nothing special aside from Rocky it seems. Then again I haven't searched much for their music.

Macca

Can't believe nobody is excited for a new Rittz tape. Hopefully it's all new, that'd be amazing.

I've come pretty far with hip hop. I listened to Wuz Here when it came out and totally couldn't get into it. Listened to R4 this year, loved it and now going back to Wuz, I love it. I used to think Yela was the best artist from the past few years, but Krit has him schooled.

Esch

Banned
I'm excited for a new Rittz project, but it can't be a surprise that nobody's jumping out their seats right now. Guy doesn't self-promote much.

Recon

Banned

Im in the middle now. I cannot get excited for super conscious/political rap anymore. But i also cannot just listen to stupid, dumb out rap much either. I think I may be moving away from hip-hop right now, come to think of it.

njean777

Im in the middle now. I cannot get excited for super conscious/political rap anymore. But i also cannot just listen to stupid, dumb out rap much either. I think I may be moving away from hip-hop right now, come to think of it.

Yeah, I dont like the over political or the super dumb, and I am as well moving away from hip hop. I was never really deep into it much (aside from certain artists), I listen to more rock these days. Except the lovey dovey rock, that I can not stand.

nns3d

I've really drifted away from the political rap. I used to listen to stuff like Immortal Technique all the time, but now everytime he comes up on shuffle my first impulse is to skip. I don't think I'll ever drift away from hip-hop though, I've discovered so much music thanks to sampling.

iavi

Same, except for the moving away from rap thing. I've just been digging the more introspective stuff for that exact reason.

abuC

I just listen to a mix of everything, one second I have Waka Flocka on in the gym, but on the ride home Im listening to Phonte. Just depends on the mood really, I don't and never have listened to just one type of rap.

LOZLINK

Who else is going to be there? $60 seems a bit steep just for him...

Just him, if there are any side acts, they'll be shitty local artists that aren't worth seeing. That's why I'm asking, I mean, it basically a Dj Set, and I'd never pay 60 to see a DJ live.

Recon

Banned
Just him, if there are any side acts, they'll be shitty local artists that aren't worth seeing. That's why I'm asking, I mean, it basically a Dj Set, and I'd never pay 60 to see a DJ live.

Yeah, I would do it just because I love Pete Rock, but $60 is a lot for a single act/DJ set.

So, I have the chance to go see Pete Rock Tomorrow, what do you guys think? Worth 60?
Not worth it. Trust me. If it was Q-Tip, then yes. Q-Tip plays long sessions and kills his sets. Nothing wrong with what Pete plays, but the tunes that Q-Tip plays are amazing, just like Madlib. Any man who plays the Poppy family on their sets are GODS to me.

HiResDes

Can't believe nobody is excited for a new Rittz tape. Hopefully it's all new, that'd be amazing.

I've come pretty far with hip hop. I listened to Wuz Here when it came out and totally couldn't get into it. Listened to R4 this year, loved it and now going back to Wuz, I love it. I used to think Yela was the best artist from the past few years, but Krit has him schooled.

Is it out?...If not I try not to get hyped until things are actually released. Add-2 fucked me over.

Detox

So at the end of the steam sale I've somehow ended up through the gift pile with 2 copies of Dungeon Defenders, Splinter Cell Conviction, Renegade Ops and Counter Strike Source. One game per poster would be preferable, so just post which game you want and add me on Steam

http://steamcommunity.com/id/detox232

TheOddOne

Pill Says He Never Signed To Rick Ross' Maybach Music
Pill has caused quite the stir. Last week, after the Atlanta rapper took to Twitter to vent about his label situation, speculation began to swirl that P-I-Double L was dropped from the Rick Ross' Maybach Music Warner Bros. distributed-label. But seeing as Pill was never technically signed to MMG, that isn't necessarily the case.

"I never signed any paperwork with Ross. It was just my deal was over at Warner already," Pill revealed to MTV News Tuesday.

According to the "Trap Goin' Ham" MC, he was signed to Asylum/Warner Bros. Records at the end of 2009, a year before Ross brought his MMG label over to Warner Music Group. Pill says he is unaware of any conversations that Warner and Ross ever had concerning his career, but started receiving calls from Rozay around this time last year. The calls turned into collaborations — many of which ended up on Self Made Vol. 1, Ross' MMG label compilation album. It was alluded that Pill was officially a part of Rozay's roster, along with Wale, Meek Mill and a host of other artists, but that wasn't the case, the rapper says.

During his December 28 Twitter rant, Pill, who made a name for himself with independently released singles like "Ok Denn," criticized Warner, charging that they didn't give him the proper push on radio and television. "I bet u can name you favorite artist and the turn on the tv and see the video and hear it on the radio. It's not rocket science," he wrote.

Pill was particularly disappointed that "Pac Man," his single from Self Made Vol.1 didn't get a push, even after noted rappers 2 Chainz, Yo Gotti and Meek Mill were added to the song's remix. "To have all that set in stone, I thought it would've been pushed a little bit harder, went a little bit further, but it didn't," he said.

Maybach did include Pill on a number of label-driven initiatives, he admits. He was on the October 2011 XXL magazine group cover, appeared on "RapFix Live" with MMG in May 2011 and took part in the pre-taped crew cypher during BET's Hip Hop Awards but was noticeably absent when Ross, Wale and Meek Mill performed during the actual ceremony.

"I never really went on tour with them; I never really did anything with them," Pill said. "The only time I performed on tour with them is when it stopped in Atlanta. They still showed love to a n---a when it was time to go to Vegas, or Cali, you know, whatever the label had put together for us to be on as a whole."

Currently the rapper's lawyers are attempting to dissolve the Warner contract, and as for MMG, Pill insists he harbors no ill will and is grateful for the exposure that Ross has given him — even though he doesn't remember the last time he and the Bawse spoke. "I ain't got nothing against none of them, nobody. It's just the situation don't work," Pill said matter-of-factly. "It's cool with us, I don't got nothing against Ross either. It's just I don't talk to him.

"I ain't really got too much to say to somebody that ain't got too much to say to me. I'm not a brownnose, I ain't a punk ass n---a and I'm not finna go trying to chase behind somebody that ain't sayin' nothing to me."
I guess Bawse got mad Pill was hanging out with Jeezy's CTE's Freddie Gibbs.

Shit sounds messy.

Tokubetsu

Yea man. It's fucking 2012. You cannot be signing these contracts unless it's obsviously swinging your way. Thanks to the internet, the label needs you more than you need them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom