• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I really wanna see a good/entertaning hip-hop beef.
When was the last MEANINGFUL beef? Ja-Rule vs. Fiddy and Em?
Ross vs. 50 I'm guessing. One bad move and Ross' career would've been gone entirely. I'd categorize that as meaningful despite the results.

Ross vs 50 was boring

Game vs. 50 was the last decent one, then 50 put out shit music for the better part of the decade and Game started beef with everyone who has a vowel in their name

so i was driving to my favorite late night chicken spot about 30 mins ago and I decide to just listen to the radio instead of my own music and.............

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

That Rick Ross Nicki Minaj You da boss song is so terrible. This might be my first time hearing it but damn it's without a doubt Rick Ross and Nicki Minaj's worst single by far. I'd rather listen to that stupid hoe song than listen to this shit.

That is all.

so i was driving to my favorite late night chicken spot about 30 mins ago and I decide to just listen to the radio instead of my own music and.............

That Rick Ross Nicki Minaj You da boss song is so terrible. This might be my first time hearing it but damn it's without a doubt Rick Ross and Nicki Minaj's worst single by far. I'd rather listen to that stupid hoe song than listen to this shit.

That is all.

You hear "Why you mad" yet. I want to cut my fucking ears off everytime I hear that shit.

IrishNinja

Ross held up, though. I'd even go as far as to say Ross won that shit. Because you know what? The C.O.'s doing it big now.

TOLD YOU

Common bows out like a pussy, making people forget Drake didn't even respond.

Canibus dissed J. Cole and just a few days later he puts out an awkward apology video on YouTube.

these 3 posts in one page...sadness. i wish we'd go back to Big Sean reckless-GAF now.

More importantly I just want to know why YM dominates the radio.

Fuck.

176px-Clear_Channel_logo.svg.png

not even fucking around, that model influenced more than any 1 hip hop artist, i think.

Its not that I don't think Drake's 2nd album was bad or anything. On the contrary, I thought it was amazing. However it's still ridiculously popular when there's better shit out there.

Lil wayne has been sucking for a while now and Minaj is fucking terrible. It makes me mad that she's successful. She's not even that hot.

Anyone "friends" with Lupe on FB? He just asked people what producers should he work with on F&L2. Hopefully he'll see people don't want anymore of that euro techno dubstep crap

He's gotten a bunch of good suggestions. No ID, DJ Primier, Just Blaze, Alex da Kid, etc...basically people who can actually produce hip hop beats

Bishman

OH WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WHY DID I NOT KNOW MOTHER FUCKER HAJDFJSDFJSDJGAFDJGJASDFKJSDKGDFJHJKGTEWKFKSGJEJFHJERGKWEFGKDJGJFBKRGK

NEXT TIME I WILL SEE HIM

Bish if you know when he is coming next time pm me, I had no clue he was coming to town.

My roommate told me at the beginning of this year about the concert. It was sold out show. Kendrick Lamar is a great performer! Everyone should see him in concert. Bun B, Slim Thug, Killa Kyleon, and Scarface all came out to show love to Kendrick. Hiiipower!

This is going to be Kendrick's year.

That is all.
I just listened to it. How is Ross even a commercially viable rapper, he has utterly average flow and average lyrics. Oh and he's a exposed liar and former CO.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This post made me realize I never heard anything of Kendrick Lamar prior to Section 80. What should I check out?
I've only listened to Overly Dedicated, and it's not like Section80, it's just a collection of mediocre-to-bad flowless songs with a completely different sound. So I would say avoid that to avoid tarnishing any positive image of Lamar you may have.

J.Cole? Talib? Still good music? Nah. Nah, man. And Mos doesn't even exist anymore.

Wasted. Potential.

Dumbest thing i have ever seen posted. Mos and Talib put together one of the best hip hop albums ever, plus between the two stand quite a few quality solo albums. Two of the best emcees ever is wasted potential, SMH.

Seriously, dumbest thing ever posted.

I've gotta come in here to wash the stink of that Resident Evil Race Representation thread off, Jesus Christ! GAF sometime man........ *smh*

Dumbest thing i have ever seen posted. Mos and Talib put together one of the best hip hop albums ever, plus between the two stand quite a few quality solo albums. Two of the best emcees ever is wasted potential, SMH.

C'mon son!
He's right. After making "one of the best hip hop albums ever" Mos Def and Talib Kweli proceeded to make over the course of 14 whole years exactly one good album. That was Black On Both Sides by Mos. Everything else released by the two ranged from disappointing to outright shit. Wasted potential indeed. If when the Black Star album dropped I came to you and said "hey man you know, in 10 years time neither of these guys will be doing fuck all" would you not have called that wasted potential?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Dumbest thing i have ever seen posted. Mos and Talib put together one of the best hip hop albums ever, plus between the two stand quite a few quality solo albums.

no u dum! Quit with that bullshit.

Black Star was damn near 15 years ago, and Mos has since put out some middling records, played in some decent flicks and now is trying to Puff Daddy himself. He's never come even close to that one record, and Talib alone is for beginners who just discovered backpack rap. He raps like he never even heard the beat fpbefore laying vocals.

So, while Mos changes his name, Talib does...nothing...we got one great record between the two of them. Great potential, almost no productivity.

Talib one of the best ever. Heh.

Mos has since put out some middling records, played in some decent flicks and now is trying to Puff Daddy himself. He's never come even close to that one record

You heard Black On Both Sides right? I actually think it's a better record than the Black Star one, though admittedly Thieves In The Night tops anything on it but I would legitimately call that one of the best songs out there.

Reflection Eternal is not awesome?

Quality, Ear Drum, and Ecstatic are all solid albums.

You guys are high, it's like crapping on Nas because besides Illmatic he doesnt have a stand out album.

Mos has got Black on Both Sides and Blackstar, two classics

Talib has Relfection and Blackstar, two classics.

About 99% of rappers out there dont event have one.

WanderingWind

You heard Black On Both Sides right? I actually think it's a better record than the Black Star one, though admittedly Thieves In The Night tops anything on it but I would legitimately call that one of the best songs out there.

See, I liked Do It Now and Brooklyn, but pretty much meh on the rest.

Even if we call that one (I know I'm in the minority on that album) that shit was 1999. It's been a minute. Mos was the shit on House though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Nah you missed the bit when kamspy said Nicki Minaj > Eminem.

My thing is that you cant say someone has wasted potential when they put out classic albums already.

You can say that both of them have diminished from what they intially put out but that can be said of just about every rapper minus like The Roots.

Reflection Eternal is not awesome?
Awesome? Not really.....

Talib has Relfection and Blackstar, two classics
Reflection is a classic album you say? Oh my!

Quality, Ear Drum, and Ecstatic are all solid albums.
Now this isn't about shitting on Mos or Talib at all, it's simply to do with answering your own question about wasted potential.
If two MC's who recorded one of the greatest albums ever continued onto a career of simply making "solid albums" how could that not be wasted potential?
Black On Both Sides was the last great work by either two and it's 13 years old.
Mos had the potential to be up with the greats of the genre. He made The New Danger. That says it all unfortunately :(

My thing is that you cant say someone has wasted potential when they put out classic albums already.
Of course you can! Nas is the damn definition of wasted potential and you can only say so when taking Illmatic into account.

WanderingWind

You can say that both of them have diminished from what they intially put out but that can be said of just about every rapper minus like The Roots.

I think you're misunderstanding the phrase, bro. It doesn't mean "they suck" but rather the records they put out are nowhere near what they're capable of doing. Talib never learned to rap with a beat, Mos turned more to acting. Their talent level hasn't gone anywhere, but with Talib that means he never improved his song creation, and Mos focuses mostly on other shit (Katrina Clap shows when he's fired up he can still do it) but I can't call either of them solo "the best ever" and with Black Star they definitely showed they could be where Black Thought is.

Edit: beat

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Shit, I finally got around to listening to that Schoolboy Q album. Fuck this is so fucking good.

Wasted potential =/= They've already accomplished things

It just means that although they had their chance in the limelight, they didn't follow through with other equally as great endeavors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom