• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acid08

Banned
Kanye West, Frank Ocean And Tyler The Creator In The Studio

uWTi8.jpg

n1PLG.jpg

Fuck. Yes.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'd be offended but I don't even know what this means. Is it nonsensical insult month?
If you love gucci so much was it hard to tell your dad you eat lentils out of belly buttons?

It's hard not to get offended when someone claims the Big 10 had any redeemable features about it. Shit was white noise front to back.

K I'm done hating for the day. Night, GAF-Hop.

Tabris

Hey. I'm trying to find mid-90s hip hop music that I either didn't know about or forgot to download/buy once I got money to buy a bunch of music (all of the below is that). I recently bought the following tracks:

Runnin' by The Pharcyde
Passin' Me By by The Pharcyde
Gimme Some More by Busta Rhymes
Keep It Real / Renee by The Lost Boyz

If you can recommend anything around this time that wasn't the big stuff (Tupac/Biggie/NWA/Wutang/Nas/etc as I already got em) as I remember listening to so much good hip hop during this time but I've forgotten a lot of the names without a listen... or if you have any good lists you would recommend.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Hey. I'm trying to find mid-90s hip hop music that I either didn't know about or forgot to download/buy once I got money to buy a bunch of music (all of the below is that). I recently bought the following tracks:

Runnin' by The Pharcyde

If you can recommend anything around this time that wasn't the big stuff (Tupac/Biggie/NWA/Wutang/Nas/etc as I already got em) as I remember listening to so much good hip hop during this time but I've forgotten a lot of the names without a listen... or if you have any good lists you would recommend.

Just really too much stuff... what are you looking for...

Esch

Banned

Runnin' by The Pharcyde

Gang Starr
D.O.C.

CRS

First, get Pharcyde's entire album, Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde. Missing out on other great tracks like On the DL.

Not sure what constitutes as big for you but here's a range of recommendations

Other albums:

Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth - Mecca and the Soul Brother
Bone Thugs-N-Harmony - E. 1999 Eternal
Black Star - Mos Def & Talib Kweli are Black Star
De La Soul - De La Soul Is Dead
DJ Quik - Rhythm-al-ism
Eric B. & Rakim - Paid In Full
The D.O.C. - No One Can Do It Better
The Fugees - The Fugees
Digable Planets - Reachin' (A New Refutation of Time and Space)

Tabris

Just really too much stuff... what are you looking for...

Yeah I know it was too vague. I dunno man, my tastes are super varied. Here are my favorite tracks if that helps with any recommendations that you think is essential non-mainstream mid-90s hip hop.

Straight Up Menace by MC Eiht
One Mic by Nas
Moment of Clarity by Jay-Z
Streets on Fire by Lupe Fiasco
Shut Em Down by LL Cool J
Six Days by DJ Shadow & Mos Def
It Ain't Hard to Tell by Nas
Margerine by Dan-e-O (canadian rap)
Hip Hop by Dead Prez
Real Muthafuking G's by Eazy-E (the best diss rap of all time)
Two Words by Kanye West
Regulate by Warren G

...And the ones that may not be as universally respected but I can't not love:

Freaks & Geeks by Childish Gambino
Handlebars by Flobots
Ooh Ahh by Grits
Gangsta's Paradise by Coolio (don't hate on me for this one, it was my first concert)
Jump Around by House of Pain (don't hate on me for this one)
Hate Me Now by Nas (you can hate me for this one)
Slam by Onyx
Ghetto Jam by Domino
Murder Was The Case by Snoop Dogg

Tabris

If you got individual tracks you could recommend out of those artists, it would be much appreciated. I have too much music to listen to full albums unless it's THAT good as a whole.

SoilBreak

Banned

Del Tha Funkee Homosapien - No Need For Alarm
Too Short - Born to Mack
GangStarr - Moment Of Truth
Main Source - Breaking Atoms
Diamond & Psychotic Neurotics - Stunts Blunts & Hip Hop
D.O.C. - No One Can Do It Better
Kool G Rap - 4 5 6
AZ - Doe Or Die
Lord Finesse - Funky Technician
Tha Dogg Pound - Dogg Food

JEKKI

Runnin' by The Pharcyde

aw hellz yeay Lost Boyz.

seriously my favorite group ever growing up as a kid. First 2 albums = classic.

sum individual tracks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCmt0glCn4g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxYbb4pQtuc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLGUb35DXYg

cant find a youtube link for "So Love" :(

not Lost Boyz, but another real good album I was listening to around the same time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NsbQvuNPsQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7IPcMjKDWc

Tabris

Man there's so much stuff there that I had no clue about or forgot completly. I'm youtube'ing all of this to decide what to buy. I've ended up getting RZA - Tragedy (linked through the songs you recommended), Me and My Crazy World by Lost Boyz, Mo Money Mo Murder by AZ (from doe or die album) and Moment of Truth by GangStarr so far.

Any other recommendation you guys got, hit me up, this is soo good.

PBY

Banned
Oh? Will listen. Though to be honest I don't really care too much until Covert Coupe 2 and/or Pilot Talk 3 are out.

Its definitely a different sound for Currensy. Feeling it tho

edit: Wait... Who is Sean O Connell?

edit2: what the fuck is this album hahaha, only half the tracks are Spittas? the rest are just genericish rock? At least Currensy kills his tracks... but what a weird package.

edit 3: wow, I kinda regret buying this. I want my 12 bux on itunes back- its pretty good when spittas rapping, but theres only 20 mins of that. damn.

Its definitely a different sound for Currensy. Feeling it tho

edit: Wait... Who is Sean O Connell?

edit2: what the fuck is this album hahaha, only half the tracks are Spittas? the rest are just genericish rock? At least Currensy kills his tracks... but what a weird package.

lmao I was about to make this post. I guess someone added some indie rock on there. I deleted that shit, although I probably should have given it a listen lol

so glad this album is properly tagged and has the album art. lord knows I'm too tired to tag shit myself

Nah don't get it twisted, it's legit. Someone just put another album in the zip file too. The first 9 tracks are the full album, then there are a bunch of tracks from some indie band. You can just delete those and have the 9 tracks

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Gang Starr
D.O.C.
YES!!!
Other albums:

Bone Thugs-N-Harmony - E. 1999 Eternal
Black Star - Mos Def & Talib Kweli are Black Star
DJ Quik - Rhythm-al-ism
The D.O.C. - No One Can Do It Better
The Fugees - The Fugees
Digable Planets - Reachin' (A New Refutation of Time and Space)

Not hating on the rest of your list because it was all good stuff for real.. but I just gotta super co-sign this

PBY

Banned
Enough Spitta talk for today- any Tony Williams fans here?
the-world-famous-tony-williams-finding-dakota-grey1.jpg

^This was dope, and his album is also great. Nice little Kanye feature too. DAT GOOD MUSIC TAKEOVER

RC

Banned
Man there's so much stuff there that I had no clue about or forgot completly. I'm youtube'ing all of this to decide what to buy. I've ended up getting RZA - Tragedy (linked through the songs you recommended), Me and My Crazy World by Lost Boyz, Mo Money Mo Murder by AZ (from doe or die album) and Moment of Truth by GangStarr so far.

Any other recommendation you guys got, hit me up, this is soo good.

You need an education Tabris. Start with the classics, build a solid foundation

36 Chambers - Wu-Tang Clan
Ready to Die - Notorious B.I.G
The Infamous or Hell on Earth (can't go wrong with either one really) - Mobb Deep
Only Built 4 Cuban Linx - Raekwon
Illmatic - Nas

But if you would rather get your feet wet then properly learning about 90's rap, here you go:

Cream - Wu-Tang Clan
Can it be all so simple - Wu-Tang Clan
Protect ya Neck - Wu-Tang Clan, for me, it doesn't get any better then this
Juicy - B.I.G
One More Chance - B.I.G
Big Poppa - B.I.G
Shook Ones Part II - Mobb Deep
G.O.D Father pt. III - Mobb Deep. To this date, one of my favourite songs of all time.
NY state of mind - Nas
The World is Yours - Nas
Incarcerated Scarfaces - Raekwon
Knowledge God - Raekwon

CRS

You need an education Tabris. Start with the classics, build a solid foundation

36 Chambers - Wu-Tang Clan
Ready to Die - Notorious B.I.G
The Infamous or Hell on Earth (can't go wrong with either one really) - Mobb Deep
Only Built 4 Cuban Linx - Raekwon
Illmatic - Nas

But if you would rather get your feet wet then properly learning about 90's rap, here you go:

Cream - Wu-Tang Clan
Can it be all so simple - Wu-Tang Clan
Protect ya Neck - Wu-Tang Clan, for me, it doesn't get any better then this
Juicy - B.I.G
One More Chance - B.I.G
Big Poppa - B.I.G
Shook Ones Part II - Mobb Deep
G.O.D Father pt. III - Mobb Deep. To this date, one of my favourite songs of all time.
NY state of mind - Nas
The World is Yours - Nas
Incarcerated Scarfaces - Raekwon
Knowledge God - Raekwon

Runnin' by The Pharcyde

PBY

Banned
OPEN LETTER FROM WIZ TO FANS:

Im high as fuck and don’t even know to start this so ima just say thank you to everyone who’s supported the TAYLOR GANG movement and showed love up to this point. We’ve all grown so much since i first came onto the scene and most of all inspired a whole new generation of muh fuggas who aren’t afraid to be themselves and unite. Before there were Taylors, the game was lacking fun, unity, positivity, and love for one another. Shit, your favorite rappers weren’t even getting paid well. You guys changed that, and the game shld forever be in debt to you. I remember getting 500 dollars for a show to fly out and see kids who had no idea what a wiz khalifa was, and you crazy muh fuggas showed up. Had a great time, and spread the word. Its ya’lls spirit who revived the rap game and brought back the true art to this shit. Your demand for live shows made it possible for a lot of rappers to come from nothing and feed their families. Promoters too, more kids are managers, dj’s videographers. Shit everyones eating. Thanx to you Taylors!!!! Take credit for that shit. Lol

Moving forward we gotta take that positivity with us. Theres tons of different crews now which is so inspiring because people are finding their own voice and unique lane. As Taylor Gang WE FUCK WIT EVERYBODY. We aren’t afraid to say we’re fans of other artists and bump their music, go to their shows and promote them to the top. Showing equal love. Thass Taylor’d. Dnt let anyone ruin your spirit or make you feel uncomfortable about what you like. What we say goes. Not them. Thass what started this whole thing regardless of what people think. Sayin fuck them and doin what makes us feel free. Dnt let anyone take ur view on things and twist it against you. Dnt let em make you feel like you weren’t the first.

Anyone questioning my choice in clothing as of lately (lol) I’ll just go out and say that it was needed. In a climate where everyone is looking and sounding the same, i always try to inspire my fans to be different. And i lead by example. At one point the way I used to dress was considered “different” but now its very much the norm and accepted. Which is cool. Thass what we do it for, but the next step had to be made. Im older, my wife is a supermodel, and ima trippy ass nigga. My clothes reflect that. My toms cost $45. My Louboutins cost $2500.

Moving on to the music, I haven’t been this excited about any of my projects ever. I remember when i made kush and orange juice, I listened to it and knew I had created a new genre that wld change music.The mistake i made on Rolling Papers was thinking it was time to move on from that genre not knowing that it had impacted people so much. The album did great numbers, but creatively wasn’t my best work. No regrets though. We live and we learn. So for my fans sake and own personal enjoyment, Ive gone further into the world we’ve created and elaborated on our genre with the mixtape Taylor Allderdice and of course my sophomore album ONIFC. Im so confident in the artistry and creativity of these projects because so much living went along with them. These aren’t songs aimed to be hits or widely accepted or even understood. Iss for people who live like us and can relate. And informative to those who can’t. Either way we’re inviting mu fuggas deep into our world and I can’t wait. I got new visuals, a new clothing line, and the new show is gonna be amazing. This is for us. Taylor Gang Or Die.

- O.N.I.F.C

I never stopped fucking w/ Wiz; I actually really liked Rolling Papers and Cabin Fever. Wiz + Juicy J gonna be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom