• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got bored of Take Care halfway through. Rappers need to chill out with these long ass albums, mang. IDK, I liked So Far Gone, but almost everything Drake has done since then has sounded the same to me.

Camp was a bit more entertaining, but he needs to move on from the "people called me gay, and said I wasn't really black" shtick.

Net_Wrecker said:
I got bored of Take Care halfway through. Rappers to chill out with these long ass albums, mang. IDK, I liked So Far Gone, but almost everything Drake has done since then has sounded the same to me.

Camp was a bit more entertaining, but he needs to move on from the "people called me gay, and said I wasn't really black" shtick.
Half way you say? You're missing out on at least a couple good tracks, most notably "Lord Knows."

Throavium

Net_Wrecker said:
As long as he moves on after this album, I think it's cool.

illadelph

Been bumping Mecca & the Soul Brother today and was thinking that CL Smooth doesn't get enough props as an MC. Pete Rock is universally regarded as one of the best producers in hip-hop history but I never hear anyone talk about how nice CL is.

HiResDes

Ken Masters said:
Take Care is quite good, production is great, and as much as people don't want to admit it he's one of the better rappers today
Hey don't get carried away.
illadelph said:
Been bumping Mecca & the Soul Brother today and was thinking that CL Smooth doesn't get enough props as an MC. Pete Rock is universally regarded as one of the best producers in hip-hop history but I never hear anyone talk about how nice CL is.
I agree he's nice
Tokubetsu said:
Self-Quote because this shit is awesome.
Really feeling this, listening to it along with the new Torae basically in tandem.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Ken Masters said:
Take Care is quite good, production is great, and as much as people don't want to admit it he's one of the better rappers today

Dude makes hits... but so does Flo Rida

I will just leave that there..

Recon

Banned
Blackace said:
Dude makes hits... but so does Flo Rida

I will just leave that there..

Flo Rida is making shit strictly for clubs/pop hits. I feel Drake is making music that he likes that happen to fall under club/pop singles.

Also, i forgot to say thanks for that East Coast Mix Blackace. I smoked and fucked to it, my girl also thought it was dope.

HiResDes

Drake wants to be Phonte, but he understands that stealing the Weeknd's style is going to be a much more future-proof move.

Esch

Banned
Drake's career history is a gigantic bite attack. Victims include yeezy, big sean, weezy, now the weeknd.... smh

Blackace

Complex Shadow said:
So does dre.
* looks at -kush ft akon-*

So Dre's B-sides are as good as Drake's album is what you are saying..

Blackace

ReconYoda said:
Flo Rida is making shit strictly for clubs/pop hits. I feel Drake is making music that he likes that happen to fall under club/pop singles.

Also, i forgot to say thanks for that East Coast Mix Blackace. I smoked and fucked to it, my girl also thought it was dope.

Flo Rida has given up on the concept that he is a rapper.. yeah I know..

Oh snap, glad I could be of service lol..

I think the East Coast doesn't get enough love for it's bangers.

Blackace

EschatonDX said:
Drake's career history is a gigantic bite attack. Victims include yeezy, big sean, weezy, now the weeknd.... smh

I wonder what would happen if Game and him did a track together?

Most likely silence because they would have no one to bite..

Esch

Banned
Blackace said:
I wonder what would happen if Game and him did a track together?

Most likely silence because they would have no one to bite..
Nahhh nahh two different schools of biting. Drake bites the music he listens to on his own time. Game just channels anyone he's rapping with. The shaolin and wu-tang of bitchass shark *****s

PBY

Banned
HiResDes said:
Drake wants to be Phonte, but he understands that stealing the Weeknd's style is going to be a much more future-proof move.
wait what? I think the Weeknd's style is way more flavor of the month compared to Phonte- Phonte's shit will never feel dated imho.

PBY

Banned
HiResDes said:
I'm talking sales/plays not quality.
oh yeah in that sense yeah; I thought you were talking about sound- Phonte's sound just has a classic, soulful feel that wont ever feel dated imho. Ten years from now the Weeknd's sound will.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
peterb0y said:
oh yeah in that sense yeah; I thought you were talking about sound- Phonte's sound just has a classic, soulful feel that wont ever feel dated imho. Ten years from now the Weeknd's sound will.
To be fair ten years is a long time. And there's no knowing if weekend will change his style/sound by then or not.

Recon

Banned
A lot of music sounds dated. Doesnt mean it wont still be good music. NWA sounds dated as fuck, yet i still play the fuck out of it(and no im not comparing NWA to The Weeknd, i know some troll will try to play that card).

For example:
paid-in-full-eric-b-and-rakim.JPG

Dated as fuck, but I can still vibe to it.

HiResDes

I don't know there's something about Straight Outta Compton that's timeless.

Edit: Same can be said for Don't Sweat the Technique

Esch

Banned
NWA doesn't sound dated to me. It's got too much energy for that IMO.

Fuck you spin paid in full aint dated aight?

this man's work feels dated to me:

n7f5hmdcz6sinifz.jpg

I was never a fan tho.

Blackace

ReconYoda said:
A lot of music sounds dated. Doesnt mean it wont still be good music. NWA sounds dated as fuck, yet i still play the fuck out of it(and no im not comparing NWA to The Weeknd, i know some troll will try to play that card).

Actually.. some of SOC sounds dated.. but some of it sounds better than music today. from the production to jeri dripping Cube..

Don't think that is a very good comparsion..

Something like Follow the Leader, or Wild Wild West is bit better

Esch

Banned
Ya, I think of Kool G as the transitionary step between that era and the NY renaissance. It's the gap between Live and Let Die and 4,5,6, you can see it right there.

funny article I read on the whole Drake/Phonte thing:

The fact is, Phonte poses a threat to Drake in the same way that Little Brother posed a threat to Kanye back in 2003. LB had the everyman approach mastered before College Dropout. Listen to “Speed” from The Listening and try to say it doesn’t cover the same ground as “Spaceships.” Putting Phonte and Pooh on a major Kanye release would have taken some wind out of Yeezy’s sail while showing the world that there was a group out there doing some of the same stuff that West was getting so much recognition for pulling off.

For Drake, putting Phonte on a song runs the risk of showing the world that there’s already a rapping, singing everyman that’s able to articulate the depths of human emotion in a way Drake’s been trying to for years. But there’s an even greater risk: what if Phonte murders Drizzy on his own shit?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
EschatonDX said:
So I'm not the only one who caught the full circle when Drake jacked Yeezy's trademark HUH?! on Take Care? What you said is true though.

spindashing said:
For example:
paid-in-full-eric-b-and-rakim.JPG

Dated as fuck, but I can still vibe to it.
This shit isn't dated, it's timeless IMO.

Macca

It's the production on those albums that can sounds dated at times. It's pretty amazing to see how far Hip Hop production has come in like 25 years. The 90's in particular was amazing.

Esch

Banned
I actually liked that article. Not the goofy phonte/yeezy nonsense, but the gist of the 'fear of being murdered on your own shit' bit. People are afraid of that. Especially the old and shot, muhammad ali in the 80s lookin dudes on lyrical life support these days. Except Jay. He's past that now. He thinks he can spit the same bar about the same shit on 8 years of music and nobody'll notice.
enzo_gt said:
So I'm not the only one who caught the full circle when Drake jacked Yeezy's trademark HUH?! on Take Care? What you said is true though..
Which is why i laugh heartily at kams posts praising drake and bashing big sean.

Throavium

enzo_gt said:
So I'm not the only one who caught the full circle when Drake jacked Yeezy's trademark HUH?! on Take Care? What you said is true though.
Kanye can say HUH?! 30 times in a song and it never gets old, whenever anyone else does it, I shudder.

DominoKid said:
"If I'm a nigga spell it right, I got way more than 2 Gs."

O_O ... X_X

very clever Donald.

very clever.
tumblr_llgv7aBU0I1qhf6x8o1_500.gif

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Macca007 said:
It's the production on those albums that can sounds dated at times. It's pretty amazing to see how far Hip Hop production has come in like 25 years. The 90's in particular was amazing.
00 - 11 wasn't bad ethier. It's just 90's had more good than bad.

HiResDes

That article is a great read, but it's inaccurate. There's always been a competitiveness in hip-hop in regards to features. Hell, Wu-Tang members would openly battle each other from song to song. What's new is not the awareness of the competition, but rather the bitchmade over-sensitive reluctance to the possibility of being outrapped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom