• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Detox said:
Nice post PD, although I would say the older guys who would put their crew on are now weary of being killed on a track. Jay did a interview for Decoded on the radio show where him and Big L had the freestyle and Jay said he would never do another collaboration if he felt he would get killed on the track.

Jay has been getting killed on tracks for years... Alicia Keys shated on him on Empire State of mind even..

Esch

Banned
Ken Masters said:
Big Sean (which isn't saying much), on par with J.Cole, Wiz, but to just list rappers from an infinite list is pointless
Absolutely not. Early mixtapes from all of these guys have better bars on display than anything drake's ever written. Fuck Drake basically bit his early career from those finally famous tapes in the first place. exact same rap style and sense of humor copy pasted.

Blackace

Ken Masters said:
that ambition track alone puts it ahead to Finally Famous

Rick Ross killed that track.. and no the rest of the album outside of Slight Work was very lame to me.. guess who is the feature on Slight Work..

overcast

Complex Shadow said:
Krit has a new album coming. What ?!? When?!
Cmon Complex lol. It was delayed, to early next year. It was supposed to come out on the same day as Cole World and Radioactive (pushed back too).

Wale's album was shockingly mediocre to me. I was hoping for a return to mixtape Wale.

Detox

Blackace said:
Jay has been getting killed on tracks for years... Alicia Keys shated on him on Empire State of mind even..
Perhaps but he wasn't expecting to get killed. I'm really interested what he does when Jay Elec asks him for a collabo because Jay Z would have to step up otherwise he'll look a fool.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
overcast said:
Cmon Complex lol. It was delayed, to early next year. It was supposed to come out on the same day as Cole World and Radioactive (pushed back too).

Wale's album was shockingly mediocre to me. I was hoping for a return to mixtape Wale.
Man school kept getting in the way of my love of music for the longest time. At least now I have a break. Also it looks like I really have to listen wales new album again. Even though I don't even want to look at it at this point.

kamspy

PhoenixDark said:
It's not a good album

Gotta be hard to find anything to listen to with standards that high.

I still don't understand how I can like Wale and GAF doesn't. It's some kinda bizzaro paradox thing. If you looked at the match up on paper, I should be hating all over the guy and GAF should be gushing. I can't figure it out. Maybe I'm listening to some dude named Whale that no one's ever heard of.

Blackace said:
Rick Ross killed that track.. and no the rest of the album outside of Slight Work was very lame to me.. guess who is the feature on Slight Work..

and I thought Slight Work was unbelievably corny

Big Sean just ruins tracks for me. His entire swag is just forced

Blackace

kamspy said:

I still don't understand how I can like Wale and GAF doesn't. It's some kinda bizzaro paradox thing. If you looked at the match up on paper, I should be hating all over the guy and GAF should be gushing. I can't figure it out. Maybe I'm listening to some dude named Whale that no one's ever heard of.

m.m.m.m.m.m.m.m.m.m.m.....m...m...Maybach Music

overcast

Complex Shadow said:
Man school kept getting in the way of my love of music for the longest time. At least now I have a break. Also it looks like I really have to listen wales new album again. Even though I don't even want to look at it at this point.
It's cool, at least you were busy.. Yeah but that album is going to be the one to unite all of Gaf-Hop.

Yeah, I thought Kamp would hate Wale.

I just don't like Wale, I've pretty much explained that. Didn't like his mixtapes outside of a couple songs, didn't like his shitty first album, and I think Ambition is average at best. Some good songs no doubt, Flower Lotus is my shit.

Blackace

Ken Masters said:
and I thought Slight Work was unbelievably corny

Big Sean just ruins tracks for me. His entire swag is just forced

That's a damn a shame.. I like get pumped tracks.. I like all sorts of hip-hop, maybe beause of what I do, I like hype music..

PhoenixDark said:
I just don't like Wale, I've pretty much explained that. Didn't like his mixtapes outside of a couple songs, didn't like his shitty first album, and I think Ambition is average at best. Some good songs no doubt, Flower Lotus is my shit.

I enjoyed his Attention Deficit album more then Ambition, that album has a completely different vibe to it

kamspy said:

The quality of his music dropped after joining Maybach imo. The last thing i've liked from him is Mixtape About Nothing. Haven't listened to his album though

Blackace

Ken Masters said:
I enjoyed his Attention Deficit album more then Ambition, that album has a completely different vibe to it

this I can agree with...

Wale looks and feels lost with Maybach..

Can't wait to hear DMX tho..

kamspy

Blackace said:
m.m.m.m.m.m.m.m.m.m.m.....m...m...Maybach Music

I liked him before the signing! In fact, I was hype for the signing.

PhoenixDark said:

I've read them. Something about being resentful, etc. He's a cocky bastard, but what rapper isn't? Of all the new school cats I don't think any could jump on a jazzy old school yeezy track as hard as Wale could. His general flow and delivery is leagues more refined and natural than others in his class.

Zoramon089 said:
The quality of his music dropped after joining Maybach imo. The last thing i've liked from him is Mixtape About Nothing. Haven't listened to his album though

Even as GAF's resident Wale apologist, it exceeded my expectations. Aptly named album. He really tries to do something different with every track and change up the sound. Quality album IMO. Not some AOTY contender, but a damn solid hip hop album.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kam is delusional over this Wale stuff huh. Even after people answer your question why people don't like him.

kamspy said:
I liked him before the signing! In fact, I was hype for the signing.

I've read them. Something about being resentful, etc. He's a cocky bastard, but what rapper isn't? Of all the new school cats I don't think any could jump on a jazzy old school yeezy track as hard as Wale could. His general flow and delivery is leagues more refined and natural than others in his class.

Even as GAF's resident Wale apologist, it exceeded my expectations. Aptly named album. He really tries to do something different with every track and change up the sound. Quality album IMO. Not some AOTY contender, but a damn solid hip hop album.

Often he doesn't even rhyme either. I can see why people like it, even though I'm shocked how it has sold so well.

Blackace

kamspy said:

Brotha Lynch Hung would be ashamed if he heard you now...

This Lone Sharks album is sick, mang. Where was this thing on Halloween when I could've rolled around like a weirdo scaring all the children. Just what I needed after a day of Aubrey.

kamspy

enzo_gt said:
Kam is delusional over this Wale stuff huh. Even after people answer your question why people don't like him.

I've got two responses.

1. Too cocky. OK. By that criteria the only rapper you like is the fat dude in de la soul.
2. Boring. You haven't listened to enough Wale.

Am I missing any points? Is PD serious about the self loathing black man angle?

Blackace said:
Brotha Lynch Hung would be ashamed if he heard you now...
Before or after bumming a Newport off me?
Nah, EBK all day everyday to the day I die.

Blackace

kamspy said:
I've got two responses.

1. Too cocky. OK. By that criteria the only rapper you like is the fat dude in de la soul.

use to think the same thing about my attempts to get people to like 40 water.. but sadly it doesn't work like that

DominoKid

methinks Kendrick Lamar is gonna sign w/ OVOXO or YMCMB after his recent features. I can understand him doing a Drake feature but I think a Birdman feature is very telling.

Recon

Banned
Wale failed hard with ambition. Production was nice, had a nice vibe going on. But Wale is such a boring rapper when not talking about anything of substance. As sporadic as AD was, at least he was on some good shit then.

Throavium

DominoKid said:
methinks Kendrick Lamar is gonna sign w/ OVOXO or YMCMB after his recent features.
50285_374361767939_7484328_n.jpg

kamspy

Kendrick's feature on The Turkey Leg LP was hot as fuck. methinks his next album is gonna leave Section80 in it's shadow. All the stars are lining up for it.

DominoKid said:
methinks Kendrick Lamar is gonna sign w/ OVOXO or YMCMB after his recent features. I can understand him doing a Drake feature but I think a Birdman feature is very telling.

I would cry if that happened

but the beat he rapped on (I think Pharrel produced) was great, especially how he flowed on it

kamspy

I don't think he's going anywhere. Birdman's music tasters just told him to get a Kendrick feature because it's provocative. You could say Andre 3K is going to YCMB with the same logic.

kamspy said:
Kendrick's feature on The Turkey Leg LP was hot as fuck. methinks his next album is gonna leave Section80 in it's shadow. All the stars are lining up for it.

the beat was one of the best he's worked with I think, buuuut...he's had better verses on Secion 80.

Still I think he has the potential to leave that album behind in the dust, his flow is improving.

kamspy

Discotheque said:
the beat was one of the best he's worked with I think, buuuut...he's had better verses on Secion 80.

Still I think he has the potential to leave that album behind in the dust, his flow is improving.

The thing that caught me off guard was he rapped to the beat.

Esch

Banned
kamspy said:
I don't think he's going anywhere. Birdman's music tasters just told him to get a Kendrick feature because it's provocative. You could say Andre 3K is going to YCMB with the same logic.
Same. I think and hope thats not his style after his dre bit on spiteful chant. That being said i'm not surprised that he's having some issues deciding where to go as far as major labels. I wonder if he'd fit in on Shady 2.0?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
kamspy said:
I've got two responses.

So... basically if you don't like an artist you should force their music down your throat until you DO like them?

kamspy

peterb0y said:
The west coast Talib?

But a little better. Reflection Eternal and Quality are both albums I really love, but Kweli has limitations. He doesn't go very far from the path musically. I see Kendrick being more willing to push boundaries.

enzo_gt said:
So... basically if you don't like an artist you should force their music down your throat until you DO like them?

If it's an artist I think people should like, of course I'm gonna advocate it. Especially since the phenomena x GAFs taste track record makes the reception of Ambition down right puzzling to me, so I actually have a curiosity about it.

Bishman

Kendrick doesn't fit YMCMB or OVOXO.

Take Care is a good album but Drake isn't in the same class as J. Cole / Kendrick / Wale / Big Krit / Yelawolf. These guys when I hear him are straight hip hop.

One of the main reasons, besides Kendrick himself, Section.80 was so fucking was the production. I fear his next album is going to have all these big name producers jumping on his dick trying to be on the album it's going to sound like everything else. THe production really helped make .80 sound so fresh and new.

Nah I'm pretty sure he'll work with his TDE producers for most of the album, and there'll probably be a Dre beat here and a J Cole beat there but that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom