• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
HiResDes said:
That article is a great read, but it's inaccurate. There's always been a competitiveness in hip-hop in regards to features. Hell, Wu-Tang members would openly battle each other from song to song. What's new is not the awareness of the competition, but rather the bitchmade over-sensitive reluctance to the possibility of being outrapped.
An expected byproduct of the slow death of public battle raps: lots of hurt feelings at stake here.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Ken Masters said:
What do you have against Drake?

Calling him one of the best rappers in the game today is hyperbolic trash..

Dude makes hits tho...

Blackace

Complex Shadow said:
Who's calling him the best?!?

Ken Masters said:
Take Care is quite good, production is great, and as much as people don't want to admit it he's one of the better rappers today

The guy I was talking to..

Blackace said:
Calling him one of the best rappers in the game today is hyperbolic trash..

Dude makes hits tho...

I said he was one of the better rappers in the game, there is a big difference between "better" and "best". You stretching my statements is hyperbolic trash

Blackace

kamspy said:
I don't even really consider him a rapper.

I am starting to fall in that boat too.. lol.. But every now and then he drops a nice little verse..

But he is starting to feel a little Akon/Pain to me.. like the chorus dude..

Blackace

Ken Masters said:
I said he was one of the better rappers in the game, there is a big difference between "better" and "best". You stretching my statements is hyperbolic trash

He isn't even that..

soul creator said:
funny article I read on the whole Drake/Phonte thing:

I made a huge ass post about this on another board, but can't post a link since it's banned. But I can copy/paste my thoughts:
------------------

I'll preface this by saying Phonte is the greatest, most slept on MC not named Black Thought. That being said I can't agree with the article. Phonte poses no threat to Kanye or especially Drake. Phonte appeals to a completely different audience than Drake, and even if they appeared on a record and Phonte killed him, no one would care. Phonte is overweight, past 30, and quite a calm/mature personality. The people who proclaim Drake as the best rapper alive would simply dismiss Phonte as some underground old cat who hasn't sold records.

I'd also disagree with the general idea that Eminem killing Jay-Z on Renegade had much lasting effect on hip hop. Mainstream hip hop has been dominated by ensemble, feature heavy songs for years. Consider some of the biggest rap songs of the last couple years:

[youtube]unUqSxSFbH4[/youtube] embedded TI Swagger Like Us
[youtube]D9g2szHsoz0[/youtube] embedded DJ Khaled We The Best
[youtube]eDuRoPIOBjE[/youtube] embedded Drake Forever
[youtube]p2qLTsYr39c[/youtube] embedded DJ Khaled I'm On One
A quick glance at hip hop charts will show multiple songs featuring either Lil Wayne, Drake, or Rick Ross - basically, three of the biggest rappers in the genre.

These are cases of rappers battling over demographics rather than proving who's the best rapper. Eminem is generally considered to have killed everyone on Forever - hell, Drake even admitted it. But that doesn't stop artists from appearing on the same record to maximize radio play and iTunes downloads.

In short, rap today is not really focused on who is the best, it's about who is the hottest. If I had to point to an example of an actual momentous record that somewhat compares to Renegade, I'd go with Hello Brooklyn:

[youtube]6yU0PfAigE0[/youtube] embedded Jay Z Hello Brooklyn

When word came out that Jay and Wayne were going to do a song together, anticipation was high for a lyrical battle to determine who was truly better (lol). But the song isn't lyrical at all, and only serves to show how poor of a rapper Wayne is. It's a bad song, and Jay "killed" Wayne simply by showing up. IMO the same thing happened shortly afterward on Kanye's third album, where Wayne dropped another lackluster verse that was widely criticized.

Big Daddy Kane never did a track with Rakim, or KRS-One. Even in the early 90s there weren't nearly as many major collabos as there are today; Biggie and 2pac both did tracks with Method Man. Wu Tang only worked with Nas and Mobb Deep. Back then rappers were more concerned with putting their homies on, which resulted in some meh posse cuts (example: all those lackluster Outlawz features on classic 2pac songs). Biggie did tracks with Jay-Z, as both were Brooklyn dudes. But in general the biggest rappers focused solely on their own brand.

Collabos in the mid to late 90s were often more aggressive competitions instead of joint ventures to get money. On the following track, Jay-Z purposely demanded his verse come before DMX's so he could throw a subliminal diss in his first line:

[youtube]Qp_t75KYkWs[/youtube] embedded Mic Geronimo Time To Build

In 95 Jay and DMX (and Ja Rule) were up and coming rappers, and both attacked the track with pure intention to crush the competition and make names for themselves. IMO that competitive spirit is missing in much of hip hop today. I'm not saying the 90s (or 80s) weren't about money, but today rappers just jump from trend to trend and design albums intended to sell individual, demographic targeted songs on iTunes. In rock, bands were constantly trying to match or surpass genius - whether they were trying to reach Jimi Hendrix or Dylan or St. Pepper or whatever. Likewise in the 80s and 90s there was this same competition in hip hop. Pete Rock would re-do beats after hearing DJ Premier's work; Illmatic challenged Common to make Resurrection; The Chronic made east coast producers take notes.

Today hip hop is just in the next man's pocket. Last year after Rick Ross dropped BMF, everyone started hitting up the producer asking for a beat that sounded like it. That spawned a million similar sounding songs attempting to capture BMF's energy. This isn't a new phenomena in rap (remember all the soul sample/loop imitators in the early 2000s?), in fact it's been a staple of many genres for years but it just feels more ridiculous today imo.

Recon

Banned
Drake to me is a RnB artist that rhymes. Like a much better Chris Brown. I prefer his RnB tracks to his rap tracks. Drakes i mean, i prefer nothing of Chris.

RC

Banned
Ken Masters said:

Who is he better then?

Blackace

ReconYoda said:
Drake to me is a RnB artist that rhymes. Like a much better Chris Brown. I prefer his RnB tracks to his rap tracks. Drakes i mean, i prefer nothing of Chris.

Trey Songs, CB, Akon (when he cared about dollars and not Euros), Pain, Drake.. any of those guys bless your song with a hook and you are almost promised to chart..

Blackace said:
He isn't even that..

He's no Kendrick Lamar (who currently has the best album this year), but he can spit, see: HYFR

Desibabu said:
Who is he better then?

Big Sean (which isn't saying much), on par with J.Cole, Wiz, but to just list rappers from an infinite list is pointless

kamspy

Blackace said:
I am starting to fall in that boat too.. lol.. But every now and then he drops a nice little verse..

But he is starting to feel a little Akon/Pain to me.. like the chorus dude..

Exactly. He's a crooner like Akon or Nate Dogg. Obviously not the same style as Nate, but the same little mix of crooning and rhyming. He's good at what he does. He doesn't try to go outside his lane.

So no one else checked that Tribe doc yet?

Desibabu said:
Who is he better then?

The Game
and j.cole

Blackace

Ken Masters said:
He's no Kendrick Lamar (who currently has the best album this year), but he can spit, see: HYFR

That song was like someone took shit in a hotpot..

It really was bad..

He drops some nice ryhmes from time to time.. but a lot of times they aren't that good.. He rides beats well, and makes decent songs. I enjoy him but I know a good rapper vs a good entertainer..

Blackace

Ken Masters said:
Big Sean (which isn't saying much), on par with J.Cole, Wiz, but to just list rappers from an infinite list is pointless

Sadly enough I enjoy Big Sean's album more than anyone else on that list as well as Drake's..

kamspy

Complex Shadow said:
Are for real? Cole post.

I only troll Cole because I think he's highly overrated. I'd say in terms of just rapping they're about equal. Cole can make beats, but Drake can pick better beats than Cole can make and has much better quality control and song crafting skill.

overcast said:
When does he have an album coming out?

One of these days.... :|

Before Detox!

Blackace

Ken Masters said:
To me Big Sean is the corniest rapper of this generation

Well he isn't great...but love his ear for production...

Detox

KRS is not outdated man, I still listen to his stuff whenever my iPod shuffles it on which is almost daily. The hip-hop lives album he did with Marley Marl is so damn good. Particularly because Marley can still produce fire, he really needs t get back to making beats.

I know KRS is hit and miss nowadays but I would put My Life up there with Raptures Delight.

Going to The Temple of Hip-Hop site is so depressing. I mean does he really believe those overstandings or whatever he calls them? He really needs a graphic
designer.too.

I'm still hyped for the Return of the Boom Bip he is doing with Premier.

Blackace

kamspy said:
I only troll Cole because I think he's highly overrated. I'd say in terms of just rapping their about equal. Cole can make beats, but Drake can pick better beats than Cole can make and has much better quality control and song crafting skill.

To me Cole is a better writer than a rapper...

If he had some fire in his voice when he laid down his tracks he'd be better

Blackace

kamspy said:
You mean how Kanye wrote No ID a blank check and sent Sean over there so he wouldn't have to do it? :p

However it worked... it did.

But I can see Big Sean being the next Game tho...

overcast

kamspy said:

Before Detox!
Definitely. Frank has some work ethic and hunger son!

Cole is way better at spitting than Drake. I'm sorry, it's not close. I don't mind if you prefer Drake, but I won't take that statement.

kamspy said:
You mean how Kanye wrote No ID a blank check and sent Sean over there so he wouldn't have to do it? :p

I looked at the production list expecting at least a great beats album but No ID was at it absolute worst. I couldn't believe how bland and boring those beats were. He must have saved his real gems for Common

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ken Masters said:
To me Big Sean is the corniest rapper of this generation
I DON'T GIVE A MASSACHUSETTS

Dude put out album of the year though, how can you hate on that? Effectively makes him the newcomer with the best debut in years.

Discuss.

Tokubetsu said:
Reall solid album. Dig it a lot:

ELWCO.jpg

http://youtu.be/ORK6hAJadoI

http://youtu.be/ZxHBYcn5Uws

This. Is. So. Good.

Dat dark production and dose rhymes. Noice.

Blackace said:
However it worked... it did.

But I can see Big Sean being the next Game tho...

sarcasm? Game has a classic album to his name, Doctor's Advocate was 4.5/5, LAX and Red Album were both above average as well

overcast

enzo_gt said:
I DON'T GIVE A MASSACHUSETTS

Dude put out album of the year though, how can you hate on that? Effectively makes him the newcomer with the best debut in years.

Discuss.
Holy shit, hahaha. I laughed too much of this. You're crazy Enzo, that's why I respect you.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
kamspy said:
I only troll Cole because I think he's highly overrated. I'd say in terms of just rapping they're about equal. Cole can make beats, but Drake can pick better beats than Cole can make and has much better quality control and song crafting skill.

Before Detox!
At this point don't expect detox to come out. Even if it does come out, it prob gonna suck.

Blackace

Ken Masters said:
sarcasm? Game has a classic album to his name, Doctor's Advocate was 4.5/5, LAX and Red Album were both above average as well

Big Sean's album is damn great for what it is.. Game has a classic but everything else has been pure meh.. Doc's Avocate 4.5/5 wtf is going on? lol... LAX amd RED? Above average, barely...

kamspy

RED album was so bad it colored the way I hear Documentary.

It's off my classic list. I hear dude's voice and can't take the shit seriously. Shame because it's a long ass album with almost zero filler. Dat 50 Ghost Writing. :tiface

One troubling thing about Cole, his best song is still his first song! Not even close. Lights Please is full tier above any other song he has.

Blackace

kamspy said:
RED album was so bad it colored the way I hear Documentary.

It's off my classic list. I hear dude's voice and can't take the shit seriously. Shame because it's a long ass album with almost zero filler. Dat 50 Ghost Writing. :tiface

Documentary still is dope.. I can't front.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Blackace said:
Big Sean's album is damn great for what it is.. Game has a classic but everything else has been pure meh.. Doc's Avocate 4.5/5 wtf is going on? lol... LAX amd RED? Above average, barely...
I would say avg. but angel is so fucking chill.

overcast

kamspy said:
One troubling thing about Cole, his best song is still his first song! Not even close. Lights Please is full tier above any other song he has.
2Face, Enchanted, God's Son, Rise and Shine.. It goes on man.

I'll review Drake's album later, but from what I managed to get through last night he production shits on Sideline Story. But then again what production doesn't? Hopefully Drake's album, Krit's upcoming album, Wale's album, etc convices him to either work with producers or get someone else to do his drums.

Detox

Nice post PD, although I would say the older guys who would put their crew on are now weary of being killed on a track. Jay did a interview for Decoded on the radio show where him and Big L had the freestyle and Jay said he would never do another collaboration if he felt he would get killed on the track.

Blackace

PhoenixDark said:
I'll review Drake's album later, but from what I managed to get through last night he production shits on Sideline Story. But then again what production doesn't? Hopefully Drake's album, Krit's upcoming album, Wale's album, etc convices him to either work with producers or get someone else to do his drums.

Wale's album? ugh...

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
PhoenixDark said:
Krit has a new album coming. What ?!? When?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom