• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kenderick Lamar on "Take Care's" Buried Alive is brilliant

where do i start with his content?, i enjoyed his Verse on BET Cypher too, clearly been sleeping on this artist, so help me out guys

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
hurts my soul to see Cole getting so much more love than Krit..

Blackace

ReconYoda said:
Its pretty much only like 1 or 2 places off, i would say they both getting a lot of love.

I have to take the gaming score approach on this topic..

Blackace

TheOddOne said:
Gambino is a joke character, can't believe people actually like the dude.

He was awesome in the Color Purple

1. Kendrick Lamar
2. Action Bronson
3. Danny Brown
4. J Cole
5. Big KRIT

Meyhem Lauren and Hassan Mackey come to mind but I wanted to keep my list small; that being said, obviously Lauren and Mackey dropped solid albums this year that will be on my top hip hop list. Plus who knows where they'll go in the future.

My list is small because only about 5 new (or newish) rappers released truly impressive projects this year imo. In Kendrick's case, he dropped what will most likely be my top hip hop album of the year. Cole dropped a great mixtape and good album this year, and has a lot of potential if he can leave the box he has himself in (production and content wise). Meanwhile Action Bronson dropped a great album and proved to be one of the most interesting characters in hip hop in years. Danny Brown dropped perhaps the most deranged, impressive project in years. And then Big KRIT dropped a good mixtape, great beats and guest verses.

I'll let over people give Drake, Wiz, and these other dudes praise. Wiz is the description of a forgettable rapper, and Drake strikes me as the definition of average. I'm not going to hate on Take Care, but it's just...alright so far.

Blackace said:
He was awesome in the Color Purple
Yeah, loved him in those lethal weapon movies too. Wasn't Big Sean(Chris Rock) in one of them? At least sometimes Big Sean makes me think of Chris Rock for some reason.

Bishman said:
How would everyone rank the new generation right now?

My list:

1. J. Cole
2. Kendrick Lamar
3. Drake
4. Kid Cudi
4. Yelawolf
5. Big KRIT
6. Childish Gambino
7. Wiz Khalifa (If Wiz would go back to Kush & OJ, would be higher on my list)
Off this list

1. Big Krit
2. Kendrick Lamar
3. J. Cole
4. Yelawolf
5. Drake
6. Kid Cudi
7. Wiz Khalifa
8. Childish Gambino

TheOddOne said:

He's Drake without pretending to be a tough guy and while he can be as cheesy as Drake he can write some nice stuff from time to time.

DominoKid

TheOddOne said:

He's a poor man's Drake in every way so if you don't like him you probably wont like CG
some people might say he's a better rapper than Drake but his lyrics are a little too "wink wink nudge nudge" to take seriously. he's probably too clever for his own good in that sense.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Drake is a poor man's Drake... dude's so silly, I can barely listen to Take Care without groaning.

Recon

Banned
I just like CG because there is no expectation of him. He does what he wants, makes some clever, adores asian girls, just says whatever. Its fun music with talent behind it.

overcast

DominoKid said:
He's a poor man's Drake in every way so if you don't like him you probably wont like CG
some people might say he's a better rapper than Drake but his lyrics are a little too "wink wink nudge nudge" to take seriously. he's probably too clever for his own good in that sense.
Am I the only one who doesn't see the Drake comparisons at all? His music sounds completely different to me. I don't like Drake much, and I really enjoy CG's music.

Recon

Banned
overcast said:
Am I the only one who doesn't see the Drake comparisons at all? His music sounds completely different to me. I don't like Drake much, and I really enjoy CG's music.

He sings, Drake sings, they both did that punchline thing, but drake has stopped doing that for the most part on Take Care.

Throavium

overcast said:
He's not a poor man's Drake. Did people listen to Camp?

reKon

Banned
DominoKid said:

I've determined that I will never agree with you on anything you post god damn lol

DominoKid

Throavium said:
He's not a poor man's Drake. Did people listen to Camp?

I've listened to 4 or 5 songs, but I can't be bothered to listen to the rest of it right now. Busy digesting Take Care.

I'm sure its good though, at least at first like all his other stuff. Culdesac & the EP got stale kinda quick.

Acid08

Banned
DominoKid said:
I've listened to 4 or 5 songs, but I can't be bothered to listen to the rest of it right now. Busy digesting Take Care.

I'm sure its good though, at least at first like all his other stuff. Culdesac & the EP got stale kinda quick.
Digesting a Drake album, really?

PBY

Banned
ReconYoda said:
He sings, Drake sings, they both did that punchline thing, but drake has stopped doing that for the most part on Take Care.
I think hes the best at the twitter punchlines actually; I mean come on:

"The shit I'm doing this year, insanity,
Made the beat then murdered it, Casey Anthony."

COT DAMN.

Recon

Banned
peterb0y said:

COT DAMN.

I think CG is the best out with punchlines, most of them are actually pretty clever. Unlike Minaj:" Im a star...Sheriffs badge"

Throavium

peterb0y said:

COT DAMN.
"Something crazy, an Asian, Virginia Tech."

CRS

mooooose said:
Drake is a modern Nate Dogg. Dude is killing it. Some of his producer's drums are repetitive. My only complaint.
Woah.

The only comparison you can make between the two is if you get a feature from either artist, you're pretty much guaranteed a hit. That's where it stops though.

Nate never had the commercial success like Drake.

mooooose said:
Drake is a modern Nate Dogg. Dude is killing it. Some of his producer's drums are repetitive. My only complaint.
mooooose said:
Drake is the king of hooks.

what.gif

Esch

Banned
TheOddOne said:
Yep. Dude's obnoxious. But seeing as how he is XV, Weezy, and Drake mashed up into some fucked up microphone porting chimera i can see how people might dig him.

m3k

1.krit
2.action bronson
3. kendrick lamar
4. apathy
5. rocky

thats my feelilng this week, i dunno im catching up on mixtapes right now

JJBro One

1. Late Registration, College Dropout, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, Graduation, 808's and Heartbreaks
2. Coast to rep: West Coast (Even though my favorite rappers are from the east and the south)
3. Biggie
4. Wiz Khalifa is soft like an erectile disfunctioned scrotum.
5. NAS
6. Royce (is that a serious question?)
7. I think J. Cole is very good. I was hoping Cole World would be an instant classic, he has a buncha gems on his mixtapes.
8. Best Wu Member: Inspectah Deck (GZA is a close second) even though my fav is Method Man. Rae>Ghost
9. Tupac has better lyrics biggie has a better flow and better beat selection
10. Lupe: 9.5 Food and Liquor is in my top 5. Lasers was a shitshow. No opinion on politics. At least he speaks on it.
11. Lil B? I'm gay had some surprisingly good beats. Unless his whole think is a parody on wack ass hip hop i say mentally challenged.
12. Era for Eminem: 1999-2002
13. Drakes lyrics aren't that deep but he's very good.
14. Nas can still rap but his beat selection is not good.
15. I just think Joe Budden is corny period. Worst out of SH.

JJBro One

Just want to say that so far Evidence Cats and Dogs is my AOTY followed by All 6's and 7's the wonder years, Charity Starts at home, and gutter rainbows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom