• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mileS

overcast said:
Ken Masters, you have an awesome avatar. That's from the Bastion right?

Yea thats from the Bastion soundtrack cover (fantastic soundtrack btw) Love the art from Bastion.

Listening to CAMP now, pretty good I must say.

Bishman

Ken Masters said:
One of the main reasons, besides Kendrick himself, Section.80 was so fucking was the production. I fear his next album is going to have all these big name producers jumping on his dick trying to be on the album it's going to sound like everything else. THe production really helped make .80 sound so fresh and new.
Nah. Kendrick is a smart dude. And even his feature on Marvins Room / Buried Alive is sick. The production is right in Kendrick's lane.

overcast

PhoenixDark said:
Lord Knows was wasted on Drake, who has no mic presence. smh, give that to Rozay or Jay Electronica
I listened to that track after hearing all of the hype, and I didn't feel Drake's part at all. Beat is great, and Ross does go in but damn.

DominoKid

Bishman said:
Kendrick doesn't fit YMCMB or OVOXO.

Take Care is a good album but Drake isn't in the same class as J. Cole / Kendrick / Wale / Big Krit / Yelawolf. These guys when I hear him are straight hip hop.

Drake's ahead of all of them (by a lot in fact) except KRIT. he ripped it on the rap songs for Take Care.

lyrically he's even w/ them all bar yelawolf but dude shits on them from a tower when it coes to songwriting ability.

lol @ all the butthurt from the thought of Kendrick signing w/ Cash Money. They've been pretty good about letting artists do their own shit for the most part and they're the only crew out selling records right now. i think it'd be a great look for Kendrick if he really wants to be the new King of the West.

edit: besides, it not like Kendrick doesnt make radio friendly stuff. Michael Jordan on OD.
ADHD, No Makeup and Blow My High on section80. he'd do well w/ OVOXO behind him

overcast

mileS said:
Yea thats from the Bastion soundtrack cover (fantastic soundtrack btw) Love the art from Bastion.

Listening to CAMP now, pretty good I must say.
Have yet to play Bastion, I want to since the game is gorgeous and I've heard great things.

Camp is impressive. I know Gaf-Hop won't really fuck with it though.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
DominoKid said:
Drake's ahead of all of them (by a lot in fact) except KRIT. he ripped it on the rap songs for Take Care.

lyrically he's even w/ them all bar yelawolf but dude shits on them from a tower when it coes to songwriting ability.
Jesus christ.

PBY

Banned
overcast said:
Have yet to play Bastion, I want to since the game is gorgeous and I've heard great things.

Camp is impressive. I know Gaf-Hop won't really fuck with it though.
I fucked up and put it in the Take Care thread, but Camp>Take Care. And I like Take Care.

FOG2 is also awesome, Pusha always comes thru- I guess no one's talking about it cuz we heard most of it already?

Bishman

DominoKid said:

I like Drake. When So Far Gone dropped, I went to his concert here in Houston at Warehouse Live when the tickets was $20. But cmon man. Be objective. The only category where Drake excels at is his song writing skills. J. Cole would out rap Drake for days. That is just my opinion. I can't see Drake doing a song like Rise and Shine. The same thing with Kendrick and Yelawolf. Drake can't out rap these guys.

If you disagree, post the most impressive song by Drake that could go ahead to ahead with the rappers I mention. We can let everyone decide.

overcast

Let me come back to you on that Peter, but Camp is close to Cole World as of now for me. Didn't expect that. Actually, probably not. Still impressive though.

DominoKid

Bishman said:
I like Drake. When So Far Gone dropped, I went to his concert here in Houston at Warehouse Live when the tickets was $20. But cmon man. Be objective. The only category where Drake excels at is his song writing skills. J. Cole would out rap Drake for days. That is just my opinion. I can't see Drake doing a song like Rise and Shine. The same with Kendrick and Yelawolf.

If you disagree, post the most impressive song by Drake that could go ahead to ahead with the rappers I mention. We can let everyone decide.

9 AM in Dallas, You Know You Know, Aston Martin Music, Goodnight & Goodluck, The Calm
The Fear, Say What's Real, Underground Kings, etc

I don't care for the validation, but you have to be lying to yourself if you act like he cant rap. I don't particularly care for yelawolf but i'm not blind to the fact that he can rap.

roosters93 said:
Probably the drake hyper hyperbole.

What are you talking about? Take Care is killing everything else in the game.
My library has had a gaping hole where "music to drunk dial ex-girlfriends" should have been filling.
Take Care has finally filled that void.

DominoKid loves DOOM so I can ride with him. But SMH regardless

Drake is like that beef ramen in your dorm pantry. It seems like quality cuisine compared to the oatmeal you've been eating for the last year, but it's still an average feast breh. He's just a guy who can spit better than his mainstream contemporaries, but overall his content is just not impressive or interesting.

I think the album is alright so far. When he's rapping it's cool, the singing shit sounds like poor attempts at crooning/Weeknd style. Production is amazing; gotta love that Gil Scott Heron transition on Take Care. More impressions later though, I want to give this a fair shot.

kamspy

peterb0y said:
FOG2 is also awesome, Pusha always comes thru- I guess no one's talking about it cuz we heard most of it already?

Clipse was such a good duo that I still instantly miss Malice. But yeah, I think the only track that he ever didn't technically release for free on that album is Trouble On My Mind. He's Phife without Tip, or Bun without Pimp. Currensy without Ski Beatz. Big Boi without Andre. It's good, but it's missing that element that made it great.

Pinko Marx said:
What are you talking about? Take Care is killing everything else in the game.
My library has had a gaping hole where "music to drunk dial ex-girlfriends" should have been filling.
Take Care has finally filled that void.

we get it, your gimmick is old now

What do you consider to be good music in hip hop now? (don't answer "nothing", otherwise you wouldn't be in this thread)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
overcast said:
What exactly were you referring to? Lol.
Domino's Drake stannery. I respect it a ton. But he backs up his points. The Drake to Yela comparison is so abstract, I find difficulty even comparing the two they're so different.

If I didn't have self restraint, my Kanye stannery would know no bounds. Yes, I actually sit here and listen to Kanye all day in case y'all were wondering.

Kaizer

Banned
So I wasn't expecting much from Take Care and it's alright so far, a nice step-up from Thank Me Later. Once again the production is the real saving grace as I've never felt Drake was that special of an MC.

PBY

Banned
I think I'm the only one who likes TML more than Take Care... huh.

-Over
-Fancy
-Miss Me
-Unforgettable (so underrated btw)
-Up All Night (for some reason this sounded awesome in my car, banged like hell)
-Maybe even Thank me Now...

^all of these songs are better than EVERYTHING on Take Care, with the exception of maybe Headlines. I don't know why, maybe its the beats which are, imho, unquestionably better. Or maybe the fact that Drake actually raps. I dunno. Looking back, Thank Me Later was pretty awesome.

Ken Masters said:
we get it, your gimmick is old now

What do you consider to be good music in hip hop now? (don't answer "nothing", otherwise you wouldn't be in this thread)

Well, first of all as an R&B album I like Take Care (lol).
Secondly, in hip-hop? Hmm...Idk, I'm a little behind, haven't had time to keep up with hip-hop like I'd like to. I liked Section 80, I liked what I've heard of Ambition. Black and Brown is a strong contender for my AOTY. As well as XXX. Oneirology(sp?) is a dope ass album. Excite for dat new The Roots, Yelawolf, dat El-P + Killer Mike collab, etc, etc...

DominoKid

TDE supports Drake. Q says he's the best young dude out right now.

shamelessly stolen from Boxden said:
kendricklamar Kendrick Lamar
Nov....15th....Buy....It.
20 hours ago

jayrock Jay Rock
That nigga @Drake went in on that lord knows man!!
2 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

ScHoolBoyQ ScHoolboy Q
buy @drake album.... cuHz is da best in r age group support, it make us young niggaHz look good anyway #HnC and my niggaH K.DOT ON DER
11 hours ago

ScHoolBoyQ ScHoolboy Q
niggaHz be mad, drake Hard i dnt care wat u say and dis coming frm a real Hoova #HnC

absoul AB-SOUL
jealousy is just love & hate at the same time.

overcast

PD your avatar is killing me.

It's not an alliance, just lesser known rappers hyping up the biggest album of the year. I bet you can find a lot of tweets about that album.

Kaizer

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
I hope I'm not seeing the forming of an alliance here...
Drake is slowly building his OVOXO Army and distancing from YMCMB. First was The Weeknd, now K.Do & TDE - all according to keikakku.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Take Care is pretty fucking bad. I'm the furthest thing from a Drake fan though so I didn't expect to actually enjoy it. Dude's just not good... at all. He makes nothing but vagina music. But hey he's gotten rich off selling his music to girls so good for him, I don't hate him for it. Just hate his shitty music.

siddx said:
You're calling out grammar in a fucking hip hop thread?

Honestly I just hate it when people do that. Its not like he misspelled a word or something. Its like using your instead of you're. Shits just dumb.

LOZLINK said:
Can't be that KL has a verse, and more people that buy equals more exposure to KL.

nahhhh....that's too logical to be true. They'd be saying Mac Miller is the best young rapper right now too if his album had drakehype behind it and K dot had a verse on it.

overcast said:
Pinko, you have to be shitting me.

I'm as serious as Drake is when he's sippan on rozay trying to get at the thick broad. She might be the one who turns this night into something special. Fuck her if she ain't down for the cause tho, cause Drizzy ain't about to get caught up in love wit no broad, all hes about is makin money for da crew and fam...

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Pinko Marx said:
Honestly I just hate it when people do that. Its not like he misspelled a word or something. Its like using your instead of you're. Shits just dumb.

It sounds just as stupid to write sentences like "shits just dumb". Thats a 5th grade dropout type sentence but nobody gives a shit cause its a fucking message board, we aren't writing our dissertations.

kamspy

Goblin evokes this crazy nostalgia in me. It's hard to explain. It's one album with absolutely zero fakeness, And the whole sound of the album, it was simple but really refreshing and naive in a good way. Really naked from any industry shit. It takes me back to a simpler time. Drinking a duffle bag of warm 40ozs and smoking black n milds and dirt weed. Breaking random shit in the woods, driving around aimlessly and crushing girls in high school. I just needed that record.

Esch

Banned
OF is fake as fuck. wanna be psychos with their ima kill rape and stab you shit. They can't do shit. I bet they were shaking in their skinny jeans waiting for chris browns cousins.

Recon

Banned
EschatonDX said:
OF is fake as fuck. wanna be psychos with their ima kill rape and stab you shit. They can't do shit. I bet they were shaking in their skinny jeans waiting for chris browns cousins.l

You forgot to add, namsayin at the end.

Throavium

kamspy said:
Goblin evokes this crazy nostalgia in me. It's hard to explain. It's one album with absolutely zero fakeness, And the whole sound of the album, it was simple but really refreshing and naive in a good way. Really naked from any industry shit. It takes me back to a simpler time. Drinking a duffle bag of warm 40ozs and smoking black n milds and dirt weed. Breaking random shit in the woods, driving around aimlessly and crushing girls in high school. I just needed that record.
Probably has to do with a 19 year old boy making an entire album about himself with fully self produced beats, no sampling, and guest appearances from his snot nosed friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom