• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
enzo_gt said:
Took sampling to a whole other level, bringing it to the forefront of production again, made the soft rapper image acceptable for the mainstream, to some degree made it acceptable in the mainstream for rappers to talk about their emotions, fueled the electronic sound influx with Graduation, he's a trendsetter the list goes on. This is obvious stuff that you don't need proof for. Name a more influential artist in the last decade, or more cautiously I would say, since Pac.

Kanye opened up doors for pretty much every single big newcomer afterwards.

lol.. Took sampling to a whole other level? Diddy did that WAY before West..

And if we have Ye to thank for Wiz and Cole well then I hate him..

HiResDes

Blackace said:
lol.. Took sampling to a whole other level? Diddy did that WAY before West..

And if we have Ye to thank for Wiz and Cole well then I hate him..
We have Ye to thank for Ayomari and Tiron

I hate on Kanye all the time, but it's very hard to deny he changed hip hop. Anyone who remembers that period of time before College Dropout arrived can attest to that. Outside of Eminem, no one in mainstream hip hop was doing emotional, conscious stuff on a grand scale. Sure DMX dabbled in it, but he was a street rapper first and foremost. Tupac had been dead and gone for years, and let's not forget that his singles were quite party/gangsta heavy when he was a live - not conscious.

Kanye bridged mainstream with the backpack scene in a way that hadn't been done in some time. Let's not forget Common, Mos Def, and Talib Kweli were on that album alongside the more mainstream features (Jay-Z, Luda, Freeway). Kanye also provided many of them with their own beats that led to mainstream appeal (Get By, Common's Be album). Kanye is not the first self conscious rapper, but to deny his impact would be to deny reality. He's the reason a major label took a chance on Lupe and other "soft" guys

Kanye almost single handidly improved hip hop live shows with his second album. Outside of The Roots, who was doing live instrumentation shows? Most people were still rapping over their vocals. And while it's true many rappers STILL do that shit, Kanye deserves props for setting that bar.

And then with the third album Kanye basically ushered in the electronic pop rap we see to this day. Once again he wasn't the first to do this, but he released the album that MATTERED. I didn't like Graduation, but it's impact was huge. And then with the 808 album he once again changed mainstream hip hop: how many vulnerable rappers did you hear trying to sing before that pos?

We can say Tribe, De La, etc did things first, but they never reached the mainstream appeal or impact as Kanye. In fact when they were dropping classic albums, hip hop was being dominated by gangsta rap and latter Diddy shit.

Blackace

AjuW8.png

1) Refuse to Lose -Brotha Lynch Hung
2) Datz what I said - Brotha Lynch Hung
3) Murder Man - CBo
4) Murder That he Ritt - Cbo
5) N***az get the Wig - B Legit Ft Cbo and Celly Cell
6) It's All Good - Mac Mall
7) Rear View Mirror - E40
8) HI Double L - E40 Ft B-Legit and Celly Cell
9) Sic Wit Tis - Mac Mall
10) Break Bread - CBo ft Master P
11) Get Stupid - Mac Dre
12) (forgot the track name will list when I get home)
13) Beastin' - E40
14) You're a Jerk - New Boyz
15) Vans - The Pack (Based God)
16) Cat Daddy - The Rej3ctz
17) Tell me when to Go - E40
18) I feed my bitch - Mac Dre

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25021028/wcw7.mp3

Next week... Compton's in the house....

Recon

Banned
Kanye had a huge impact. He didnt originate anything, but he made certain things popular. I give him full credit for allowing conscious rap to become something bigger than independent/underground.

Edit: Ace, you should do a midwest mix. Plenty of good shit to pick from.

Blackace

PhoenixDark said:
We can say Tribe, De La, etc did things first, but they never reached the mainstream appeal or impact as Kanye. In fact when they were dropping classic albums, hip hop was being dominated by gangsta rap and latter Diddy shit.

wait what? Now you are re-writing history.. outside of Run DMC and LL Cool J and Beastie Boys NO ONE had more impact on mainstream rap than Tribe..

Also why is "Diddy shit" when he laid the ground work for Ye?

HiResDes

RPS37 said:
Downloading In Case I Don't Make It instead.
YES...Also, the Nickelus F mixtape is definitely a winner, and the few tracks I've listened to on the Pac Div album are fantastic. Great day!

Blackace said:
wait what? Now you are re-writing history.. outside of Run DMC and LL Cool J and Beastie Boys NO ONE had more impact on mainstream rap than Tribe..

Also why is "Diddy shit" when he laid the ground work for Ye?

I said mainstream appeal; I'm not saying Kanye is more influential than anyone. I'm saying Kanye has had enormous impact on current hip hop, and is the driving reason behind many current trends.

Blackace

illadelph said:
So what would be the definitive work of Heavy D?

pick from here

1989 Big Tyme (with the Boyz)
1991 Peaceful Journey (with the Boyz)
1993 Blue Funk (with the Boyz)
1994 Nuttin' But Love (with the Boyz)
1997 Waterbed Hev

For me it's Nuttin but love and Peaceful Jouney

Recon

Banned
Blackace said:
pick from here

1997 Waterbed Hev

Posting in case you missed it: Midwest Mix. Do it for the kids Ace!

Blackace

PhoenixDark said:
I said mainstream appeal; I'm not saying Kanye is more influential than anyone. I'm saying Kanye has had enormous impact on current hip hop, and is the driving reason behind many current trends.

But again you are wrong.. Tribe didn't have as much as an impact as Ye they had more.. so much more..

Blackace

ReconYoda said:
Posting in case you missed it: Midwest Mix. Do it for the kids Ace!

Give me a theme to work off of and some artist (will save me some time...) and I will knock something up

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
overcast said:
New Pac Div?? Hell yes. Mania caught me completely off guard.
Mania didn't stick with me. Anti-Freeze is like the hardest shit ever and boys can spit but the rest of the tape is a mush in my memory.

Fuck I forget the single for The Div but I remembe seeing some big names on the album like the Roots. I didn't know they were poppin like that /ignoranceaboutwestcoast

Recon

Banned
Blackace said:
Give me a theme to work off of and some artist (will save me some time...) and I will knock something up

Detroit/Chicago artists. Other than that...hmm, i have no clue lol.

illadelph

Blackace said:
pick from here

1997 Waterbed Hev

Thanks man I'll check em out

CRS

Completely unrelated but Black Sabbath 's Solitude track is so fucking amazing. Especially in the Fall/Winter like right now.

To make this post hip-hop related, what's your favorite Fall/Winter music to listen to?

Blackace said:
But again you are wrong.. Tribe didn't have as much as an impact as Ye they had more.. so much more..

So you're telling me current trends in hip hop like rappers singing/autotune, heavy emphasis on Euro pop/techno samples, pop rap etc are not the finger prints of Kanye? I'm not arguing Kanye had more impact on hip hop in general than Tribe, that would be ridiculous. But every major rapper today - Drake, Cudi, Minaj, Cole, Wale, etc etc - was listening to Kanye West in high school, not Tribe.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
PhoenixDark said:
So you're telling me current trends in hip hop like rappers singing/autotune, heavy emphasis on Euro pop/techno samples, pop rap etc are not the finger prints of Kanye? I'm not arguing Kanye had more impact on hip hop in general than Tribe, that would be ridiculous. But every major rapper today - Drake, Cudi, Minaj, Cole, Wale, etc etc - was listening to Kanye West in high school, not Tribe.
Yep.

The way I like to put it is, Kanye is the Wu Tang of this (my) generation. I think it's an apt comparison.

Last ten years, nobody is more influential than Kanye. Before that, ofcourse cause it was the golden age.

Esch

Banned
Blackace said:
Some bone thugs... some slum village,yeezy,common,twista, royce, tech n9ne, gibbs, eminem, hi-tek, nelly, w/e

no atmosphere please

overcast

enzo_gt said:
Mania didn't stick with me. Anti-Freeze is like the hardest shit ever and boys can spit but the rest of the tape is a mush in my memory.

Fuck I forget the single for The Div but I remembe seeing some big names on the album like the Roots. I didn't know they were poppin like that /ignoranceaboutwestcoast
Really? I don't remember so many of us praising the tape, I remember a good few did though. Take Me High is my fucking jam.

Recon

Banned
If 03: From Gold was a little longer, it would be a lock for AOTY for me. It still is in my top5. Such a criminally underrated release that no one talks about.

HiResDes

ReconYoda said:
If 03: From Gold was a little longer, it would be a lock for AOTY for me. It still is in my top5. Such a criminally underrated release that no one talks about.
I agree, I knew I was underrating it even when I posted that

Blackace

PhoenixDark said:

singing/autotune can only go to one artist and his name starts with a T and ends with Pain.. saying otherwise is being silly...

Euro pop stuff I like to say Timbo was bit more a major influence but can't deny Ye's role in it

and you want to play the rappers were listening to Ye card.. then who was West listening to in high school?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
"Kanye reached out to me and I said, 'Of course,' " Ferrell wrote. "I was completely flattered when they asked if they could sample me into the song ... and when I heard it for the first time, I just started to laugh because it felt so surreal. But I really did like the song."

So much so, in fact, that Ferrell said he's hoping to take the Throne collaboration to the next level — "We were trying to film a piece that they would use on the video boards of their concert, but haven't gotten it together," he wrote — and the whole process has opened his eyes to an entirely new career opportunity: Being the go-to sample guy on the hip hop circuit.

Will Ferrel reacts to N****s In Paris.

Surprised by how good Camp is. CG has finally moved past the imitate Wayne stage and has become a nerdcore amalgamation of Kanye, Drake, and some of his own style.
Dude drops some CORNY ass lines sometimes, but the production is nice and his shit is mad relatable.
Much better than Take Care.

CRS

Yes! They have the Doppelgangaz' albums on Spotify. Really enjoying this and I can already tell i'm going to have these guys spinning throughout all of winter.

Blackace

Miri said:
gyzkegfj.jpeg

Lol, dude's still pokemon'n his shit. I'm hyped though. It's slated to drop on 2/28/2012.

Two 40 albums a year? yes please

CRS

My god. The production on Lone Sharks is top notch. I apologize to anyone that mentioned them earlier. Really need to manage the music posted on here better.

Top 5 material right here.

Blackace

Miri said:
I almost wonder if he should space them out. Having a monster release is cool and all, but does it really help?

Think he is riding the trend until it falls off.. worked really well for him last release...

IrishNinja

EschatonDX said:
CoD? Nah, not for me. Any GAF-HOPPERS gonna get skyrim? murk dragons? crawl some dungeons? Blast fools left n' right with spells?

You better haul ass 'cos I ain't with no fucking chase
So lace up your boots, 'cos I'm about to shoot
A true motherfucker going out for the loot

Dark Souls >, all day! much love, just not an Oblivion fan, From's got that market on lock for me. i like my fantasy shit grimy as fuck like Berserk with Redman playing.

speaking of - who're ya'lls favorite MCs that you might not put on a top 5 G.O.A.T. list but just love hearing them? like, DOOM isn't on most lists but there's few tracks ive heard i didn't dig. cause Reggie Noble almost never gets named, but fuck i love when his shit comes on - gym, running, hanging, working, whenever. so much hype.

I'm in ya Harlem Nights with Dominique Peru/
Drunk as hell, gettin head at the comedy review/
I, stay around the corner from Park Hill/I ain't hard to find, but I'm sure hard to kill

joelseph said:
I posted this way back and I will keep posting it because it's one of the best tapes of the year. That Flying Lotus...

+1 to both of these.

EschatonDX said:
Yeaaa but i can see members of the diggaz at least having killed a man or something namsayin. I can see them dudes hurlin bodies into woodchippers... I just can't take OF seriously in the same way, these dudes think they're some sort of antiestablishment movement cause they skip school and shit.

point taken. i still fucks with OF, though - if i got caught up on rapper's images and shit, id have a hard time enjoying most acts
he says ironically while shitting on ross

PS NEW WCW, WOOP WOOP
gotta update the OP with it!

Throavium

IrishNinja said:
who're ya'lls favorite MCs that you might not put on a top 5 G.O.A.T. list but just love hearing them? like, DOOM isn't on most lists but there's few tracks ive heard i didn't dig.
Sounds like a trap.

*Makes a top 5 list of rappers"

*30 other people quote the post and question the list in disgust*.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom