• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

Macca007 said:
Or Dre and Snoop's Break Up To Make Up :( Goddamn Dre...

i don't even recall this one - guess i should be grateful?

Blackace said:

for YEARS i had this receipt from specs or some shit, showing the release date for Heltah Skeltah (after Natural Born Killaz, i was HYPED). wish i still had it.
shit like that makes me BELIEVE for Liquid Swords 2 and Jay electronica's shit when i shouldn't

Macca

IrishNinja said:
i don't even recall this one - guess i should be grateful?

for YEARS i had this receipt from specs or some shit, showing the release date for Heltah Skeltah (after Natural Born Killaz, i was HYPED). wish i still had it.
shit like that makes me BELIEVE for Liquid Swords 2 and Jay electronica's shit when i shouldn't
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoom_(Dr._Dre_song) Song was originally for a Dre and Snoop collab album.

Snoop said this in an interview in 2006:

Dubcnn: People still waiting for that "Break Up To Make Up" record...

Snoop: Man that's the record that I've been wanting to do with him, cause I felt like that record above Detox out and any other record that I wanted to do solo wise, because they ain't never seen me and him together on a whole record, but you always know that when we together we the best.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Heltah Skeltah

I’d been writing this song for an album that he was thinking about doing called “Heltah Skeltah”…
I remember that it was supposed to be the Ice and Dr. Dre album but it never came out…
Yeah, one of the reasons why it never surfaced was because I stole the idea and shot it out there first.
That was your second solo album…
Right. The songs that I had written were on that album. I had started writing it just from hearing Dre talking about it. He and Cube were gonna do a record, it was gonna be called Heltah Skeltah, this is what it’s going to be about, so I started putting together music. And then Dre heard the song and I hadn’t told him that I had written the song for him, but his first thing was “Hey, you need to let me get that song up out ya.” And the shit just hit me so cold I was like fuck that, man I’m not doing this shit no more. Fuck that. If I’m gone write this shit, I’m gone rap this shit. So I moved out to Atlanta and stayed with a friend just to clear my head.
Heltah Skeltah was some deep dark stuff.
Yep. It was all based on an idea that Dre and them was working on: anarchy…the end of the world kind of theory. And my life was in a twist, my life was in the toilet bowl at that time, so it was real easy for me to go and see the darkest, the most nasty. It was easy for me to see the shit in the world at that time, because I was in a world of shit. I was starting to do drugs real heavy then. I couldn’t get a grip on nothing man. I didn’t know what to do. I don’t know if any of those people around me knew what the fuck I was doing. I was basically dying up there man and I was too ashamed to come home.

actually read to whole thing about DOC... I stand that is the greatest of all time.. my GOAT.. made the West Coast sound from the bottom up..

http://www.murderdog.com/archives/2003/doc.html

What songs on Eazy’s album did you write?
“We Want Eazy,” the title track for his video, “Still Talking Shit” and a couple of more songs on Eazy’s record. I wrote all of Eazy’s parts on the NWA records as well as being the extra set of ears for Dr. Dre because I was the only person that he really trusted. Back in those days Dre really trusted my ears.
I read somewhere that Eazy offered you a gold chain for your publishing, is that true?
No, he didn’t offer me a gold chain. This was when the Eazy record had been out and the NWA record was getting ready to come out. We all had been working real hard. Those guys were starting to get benefits from it and I hadn’t started to get no money. And they’re buying big dookie gold chains and all of that. I was talking to Eric like, yeah man, what’s up? I want some gold too. And he tells me, “I’ll tell you what, if you sell me the publishing on the songs that you wrote on this, this and this I’ll give you whatever you want.” Now me being an 18-19 year old , I didn’t know what the hell publishing was so I told him “Yeah, give me that chain, give me that watch and that ring.” I took about five thousand dollars in jewelry and give him about a million bucks worth of publishing.

Blackace

made this mix tonight... was thinking of all the greats, and some of the guys who didn't get a chance to be greats we lost..

Wish U Were Here:

1) EZ Duz It - Eazy E (RIP)
2) Pop it 4 a Pimp - Pimp C(RIP) Ft Bun B and Juvie
3) From What I was Told - Soulja Slim(RIP)
4) Deadly Combination - Big L(RIP) Ft 2Pac(RIP) and Biggie(RIP)
5) Still Not a Player - Big Pun(RIP) Ft Joe
6) Gotta Get Mine - MC Breed(RIP) ft 2Pac(RIP)
7) My Philosophy - KRS-One (produced by Scott La Rock(RIP))
8) Jam Master Jay(RIP) - RUN DMC
9) Notorious B.I.G. - Biggie(RIP)
10) Mr. Big Stuff - Heavy D(RIP) and the Boyz
11) Overweight Lover - Heavy D(RIP) and the Boyz
12) Music and Me - Nate Dogg(RIP)
13) Kick Your Game -TL(RIP)C
14) Try Again - Aaliyah(RIP)

It isn't perfect... and I missed alot.. but I just wanted to make something...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25021028/wishuwerehere.mp3

So Ive been going through lil wayne's old stuff (I never really gave him a chance after first listening to C4), and Im actually really liking Carter 2. So what would you guys recommend I listen to of lil wayne's work? What's his best work and what should I give a chance (include mixtapes please, and thanks)?

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Fuck yar Blackace, more goodness for todays trip.

Shame about Heavy D, anytime I hear one of his tracks I'm instantly transported back to middle school.

Oh and I remember being so fucking excited for Heltah Skeltah, I nearly shit myself when I saw DOC's version because at first glance I thought it was the Cube/Dre album and I had somehow not realized it came out. That unfortunately affected my opinion of DOC for a while because of how awful that album was and I hadn't actually heard No One Can Do It Better at that time.

Blackace

siddx said:
Fuck yar Blackace, more goodness for todays trip.

Shame about Heavy D, anytime I hear one of his tracks I'm instantly transported back to middle school.

Oh and I remember being so fucking excited for Heltah Skeltah, I nearly shit myself when I saw DOC's version because at first glance I thought it was the Cube/Dre album and I had somehow not realized it came out. That unfortunately affected my opinion of DOC for a while because of how awful that album was and I hadn't actually heard No One Can Do It Better at that time.

WCW and Wish You Were Here!

Also DOC is the west coast GOAT

siddx

Blackace said:
WCW and Wish You Were Here!

Also DOC is the west coast GOAT

Personally I'd go with Cube for GOAT simply because of how incredible strong his album line up from AMW to Lethal Injection is. The amount of quality music he put out in that time period is astounding. And he's had plenty of great tracks since then as well. DOC very likely would have had an even more amazing career had the accident not occurred, but as it stands, he only has one real album. It's just not enough material for me to give him the West Coast GOAT title.

Blackace

siddx said:
Personally I'd go with Cube for GOAT simply because of how incredible strong his album line up from AMW to Lethal Injection is. The amount of quality music he put out in that time period is astounding. And he's had plenty of great tracks since then as well. DOC very likely would have had an even more amazing career had the accident not occurred, but as it stands, he only has one real album. It's just not enough material for me to give him the West Coast GOAT title.

Pretty much everything you like from Eazy to NWA to Deathrow... All DOC

Recon

Banned
Blackace said:
made this mix tonight... was thinking of all the greats, and some of the guys who didn't get a chance to be greats we lost..

Wish U Were Here:

This is something i can get behind, will listen to later, but im looking forward to it.

Recon

Banned
IrishNinja said:
offline? agreed. on GAF-hope? nah, it does catch some hate, usually when people talk about how salty they're gonna be to see it high up on the AOTY polls, voted on mostly by people who know that one and like 2 other albums. what'd you not dig about it again though? i thought it was certainly better than years worth of Jay's efforts, though that's not a high bar for me these days.

indeed. R.I.P.
nothin' but love was my jam, shit was my dating anthem for years now, prolly still is.
im assuming heart trouble, but what was it that did him in? i was pretty surprised to learn he was as young as he was, too.

+1, even if it's on an imaginary shelf in my mind right next to Dre & Cube's Heltah Skeltah.

yeah, see - i thought it was in the last thread, but doesnt Drake have one of the best record deals in the business? no way id walk away from that to do m-m-m-maybach music, but i did assume he was taking home more than birdman let wayne hold.

WTT was like a meal of nothing but sugar. It's sweet at first, and you might like it initially. But after a couple helpings you get sick of it and wish there was something of more substance.

Blackace said:
No way he is making more than Wayne... even after Birdman's cut

Carter III went triple plat in the US and IV is already plat..

Wayne had a shitty deal though, Birdman gets most of his record sales; Wayne makes money on the road and with guest verses. Drake and Minaj have great record deals that give them major cash from sales

siddx

Blackace said:

Of course, and he definitely deserves credit in the GOAT discussion for it, but helping ghostwrite and shape another artist's album is not the same as actually making your own. I would never call someone crazy for having him as their greatest as he is certainly a valid candidate, but personally I can only give him half points for NWA and Deathrow work.

Detox

Blackace said:
Plus 2001 and he played a part in Em, 50 and Game's careers. Safe to say DOC helped those guys put out classics on their debut. I would still have to say Cube is the Westcoast GOAT he really epitomises the West Coast for me. Sure his new stuff might not be up to the standard of his older albums but they are still really good.

Blackace

PhoenixDark said:
Wayne had a shitty deal though, Birdman gets most of his record sales; Wayne makes money on the road and with guest verses. Drake and Minaj have great record deals that give them major cash from sales

Birdman is worth about 400 million

And Weezy is worth about 100 million

Drake is maybe worth about 20

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Blackace said:

Wish U Were Here:

This right here - Gotta Get Mine - MC Breed(RIP) ft 2Pac(RIP) one of the best jams ever that not enough people know about. The video was even nice.

CRS

Drake+tears.jpg

Big Ghost Presents: The Take Care Review

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Blackace said:
Birdman is worth about 400 million

And Weezy is worth about 100 million

Drake is maybe worth about 20

I want to say that Rap-A-Lot gets some of Drake's money too. I need to ask around.

ChldRebelSoldr said:

Like forreal...after hearin this shit...I wouldnt be surprised if this nigga could pollinate a flower wit his fuckin breath son. Im pretty sure that son gets up in the morning n plays his harp for his cats n then slides down the muthafuckin banister in his satin man nightie n has a full glass of breast milk before he goes to the studio n hammers out some pooned out shit like this b

The moisture levels on this shit got clouds formin over my speakers b.

I tried to type out the muthafuckin words to the hook n that delicate ass shit jus floated off the screen when I did it yo

Jeeesus roofl

man when you read the lyrics big ghost quotes you realize how corny they really are. Some of that shit sounds like poetry some grade 4 kid would give to a girl.

Bishman

LightOfTruth said:
So Ive been going through lil wayne's old stuff (I never really gave him a chance after first listening to C4), and Im actually really liking Carter 2. So what would you guys recommend I listen to of lil wayne's work? What's his best work and what should I give a chance (include mixtapes please, and thanks)?

Cover40-300x300.jpg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That ghost review is hilarious. But going in on a soft rapper but then giving Kendrick the Kleenex King a pass is a head scratcher.

That dough boy photo omfg.

kodecraft

Discotheque said:
man when you read the lyrics big ghost quotes you realize how corny they really are. Some of that shit sounds like poetry some grade 4 kid would give to a girl.

Thats one of Ghost's best qualities...putting things in perspective.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
DominoKid said:
the kleenex king?

so i guess Kendrick is "soft" now too.
Kendrick has always been soft. Where have you been living? He's the softest on the West Coast by far, challenged only by OF's juvenile antics.

West Coast non-gangsta rapper talking about middle class issues. Soft. Even kamspy can't argue with this.

EDIT: He also looks like he's 14.

enzo_gt said:
Kendrick has always been soft. Where have you been living? He's the softest on the West Coast by far, challenged only by OF's juvenile antics.

West Coast non-gangsta rapper talking about middle class issues. Soft. Even kamspy can't argue with this.

EDIT: He also looks like he's 14.
Dude, go back and listen to Section 80 or Kendrick Lamar EP. The only close to soft song he has is that Make Up song

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Tguy said:
Dude, go back and listen to Section 80 or Kendrick Lamar EP. The only close to soft song he has is that Make Up song
Section80 is pretty soft and all the good songs on it focus on soft topics (Keisha's Song, HiiiPower). The Kendrick Lamar EP proved he was soft because he had trouble flowing and rhyming over most of those hard beats. Section80 is where he has found his lane and realized he doesn't need to keep acting hard. By the same degree that Cole is soft, Kendrick is too. Just using GAF-Hop logic here. Soft =/= indicator of how good someone's music is, just their presentation and image. In which case KL is pretty far into the soft end of the scale.

enzo_gt said:
Section80 is pretty soft and all the good songs on it focus on soft topics (Keisha's Song, HiiiPower). The Kendrick Lamar EP proved he was soft because he had trouble flowing and rhyming over most of those hard beats. Section80 is where he has found his lane and realized he doesn't need to keep acting hard. By the same degree that Cole is soft, Kendrick is too. Just using GAF-Hop logic here. Soft =/= indicator of how good someone's music is, just their presentation and image. In which case KL is pretty far into the soft end of the scale.
You serious? he is soft because he had trouble flowing and rhyming over most of those hard beats? lmao, How the hell is HiiiPower a soft topic and Keisha Song isn't a soft topic at all, shit is just about a chick going lesbian(EDIT: Wrong song, oops). Okay, maybe Keisha Song is a bit soft, but come on dude.

Also, you were referring to Big Ghost blog, the way he uses soft is context of the music, not by image. I thought most people here did the same thing, how their music is made is why they're considered soft. For instance, I don't believe no one called Wiz Khalifa soft till he made that roll up song and the amber rose stuff.

joelseph

Does this ghost character make money on word counts? There was a whole lot of unnecessary stuff in that review that made it a struggle to read.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
LegoArmo said:
I like a lot of soft rappers, I'm not ashamed!
All my favorite rappers are soft, except Pac.

Tguy said:
You serious? he is soft because he had trouble flowing and rhyming over most of those hard beats? lmao, How the hell is HiiiPower a soft topic and Keisha Song isn't a soft topic at all, shit is just about a chick going lesbian(EDIT: Wrong song, oops). Okay, maybe Keisha Song is a bit soft, but come on dude.

Also, you were referring to Big Ghost blog, the way he uses soft is context of the music, not by image. I thought most people here did the same thing, how their music is made is why they're considered soft. For instance, I don't believe no one called Wiz Khalifa soft till he made that roll up song and the amber rose stuff.
Your not giving compelling reasons otherwise, how is HiiiPower a hard song? It's not because it doesn't deal with ignorant ass topics and isn't seasoned with battle raps. Isn't that what someone who's hard embodies? Hard rhymes and pronounced production? K Dot has a different agenda now.

Also I thought Wiz was soft before he did roll up. See: This Plane.

Im only here to reinforce the terms are meaningless, but I would not group KL in the same category as dudes like X and Ross.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ken Masters said:
So Drake is going to fuck around and end up with a top 3 album this year

congrats to him
I wonder how high GAF will rank it. These albums are guaranteed to be high but I don't know about Take Care: Section80, WTT, Oneirology, and Cole World.

Detox

So enzo is saying Pac is hard because his music is battle raps covering ignorant ass topics or am I reading it wrong?

enzo_gt said:
I wonder how high GAF will rank it. These albums are guaranteed to be high but I don't know about Take Care: Section80, WTT, Oneirology, and Cole World.

Section80 my #1 right now, but they may change with Common dropping in 2 weeks and Rozay and Nas after that. I've been avoiding all leaks on Common's album, waiting eagerly for 11/22 to pick it up

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Ken Masters said:
Section80 my #1 right now, but they may change with Common dropping in 2 weeks and Rozay and Nas after that. I've been avoiding all leaks on Common's album, waiting eagerly for 11/22 to pick it up
i am so hyped for commons album. but i doubt many gaffers would rate it aoty.

enzo_gt said:
All my favorite rappers are soft, except Pac.

Your not giving compelling reasons otherwise, how is HiiiPower a hard song? It's not because it doesn't deal with ignorant ass topics and isn't seasoned with battle raps. Isn't that what someone who's hard embodies? Hard rhymes and pronounced production? K Dot has a different agenda now.

Also I thought Wiz was soft before he did roll up. See: This Plane.

Im only here to reinforce the terms are meaningless, but I would not group KL in the same category as dudes like X and Ross.
I got my finger on a muthafuckin pistol
Aiming it at a pig, charlotte's web is goin to miss you

Those lyrics are from what you say is a soft song? Kind of questions if you listen to what he's talking about man and if you see why people consider Drake and other rappers soft.

Now about you trying to make a point that the terms are meaningless.....I don't think they are that meaningless, because either way if we say instead that Drake is emotional or something instead of soft, people will still most likely use it as a joke against him. I think it's more like people should accept the term "soft, and not use them as a way to put rappers down. I mean we all listen to "soft" music every now and then anyway. I don't think everything has to be labeled either hard or soft though, that's just silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom